Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

People are on death row for years i think that's enough time to send bloodwork to a lab. Take the organs too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Mu Zeta posted:

People are on death row for years i think that's enough time to send bloodwork to a lab. Take the organs too.

China... is that you?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Or ask them if they want to donate their blood/organs. I bet some will say fine.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I think organ donation should be compulsory. Then again, I think all people are property of The State, but especially the dead ones!

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Aramek posted:

I think organ donation should be compulsory. Then again, I think all people are property of The State, but especially the dead ones!

I was once talking to someone who married a chav about this very issue.

"So, he refuses to donate his organs?"
"Yes."
"Does that mean he will refuse to accept donated organs?"
"No."

The way I see it, I will have no use for my body once I die, so what happens to it wouldn't concern me in the slightest.

Sic Semper Goon has a new favorite as of 05:22 on Jul 20, 2017

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Aramek posted:

I think it should be voluntary, but you have to opt out.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Goon is one of the greatest movies ever made.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

We Know Catheters posted:

Goon is one of the greatest movies ever made.

"Garbage flies in my face sometimes."
"You make me feel like not sleeping with a ton of guys."

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Aramek posted:

I think you should be able to opt out of organ donation but the default should be you're in the program.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

I'll give that, but make the opt-out system one of those super scary Government interrogation panels where they convince you you're wrong to opt-out.

That way nobody does it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Aramek posted:

I'll give that, but make the opt-out system one of those super scary Government interrogation panels where they convince you you're wrong to opt-out.

That way nobody does it.

It's an online thing and when you click opt-out it asks "are you SURE you want to opt out?" and shows you a picture of a sad kid on dialysis

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The more you try to convince me that giving my organs to the government is a good thing the more suspicious and resistant to the idea I get.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Shaming people doesn't work, it just makes them dig in deeper. Maybe have the government offer a financial incentive and a lot more people would be ok with it. Personally if the government just told me I was a bad person for not opting in I would just accelerate the already ongoing destruction of my organs out of spite.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
My nephew had to get a heart transplant when he was 13 due to cardiomyopathy and the whole thing was incredibly down to the wire. He just got lucky. A heart came in after his organs had started shutting down (which mercifully wound up reversing), and the surgeon said that when they opened his ribcage his heart "popped out like a mushroom." He ended up with the heart of a woman in her 40's.

Organ donation's a very good thing but if it eases your conscience, tech's coming very close to making it less of an issue. His father keeps up on his poo poo is confident my nephew's next heart could be grown from his own tissue or 3D printed. But in the meantime, yeah, my family's all organ donors.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

They are getting closer to "fake" hearts.

https://www.sciencealert.com/this-3d-printed-soft-artificial-heart-beats-just-like-a-real-one

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah, organs should be opt-out rather than in, but opting out also opts you out of ever receiving. Seems fair.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

sassassin posted:

The more you try to convince me that giving my organs to the government is a good thing the more suspicious and resistant to the idea I get.

You're not really giving it to the government. It's going to a fellow citizen. The government just serves as a... a facilitator if you will.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I'm protecting others by not allowing my organs to be transplanted. 😃

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

fruit on the bottom posted:

You're not really giving it to the government. It's going to a fellow citizen. The government just serves as a... a facilitator if you will.

This is way way nicer on the ears than my "The Government owns us physically, and will use us as parts as needed".

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm donating my organs, but only to be thrown at a guy sitting in a dunk tank or a bad comedian.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

I'm donating my organs, but only to be thrown at a guy sitting in a dunk tank or a bad comedian.

I'm the guy sitting in a bad comedian while people lob veni veni veni spleens at me.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
When I studied current issues in property law (granted, three or four years ago, so probably not so "current" any more) one of the topics was ownership of one's organs.

Should you be able to sell your organs? Not necessarily when you're alive, but you should be allowed to make a deal with somebody that they pay you now and then they get your organs when you die?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Wasn't this the main plot point of The Island?

A terrible movie by all accounts.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 23 minutes!
Soiled Meat
No, because healthcare is a human right, and the means through which this right is realized can't be made discriminatory.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Shaming people doesn't work, it just makes them dig in deeper. Maybe have the government offer a financial incentive and a lot more people would be ok with it. Personally if the government just told me I was a bad person for not opting in I would just accelerate the already ongoing destruction of my organs out of spite.

It totally does work, for most people. Happens all the time. The people who double down after being shamed about something are maybe 5%, if it's something that isn't central to their identity to begin with.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

95% of people, after being shamed for anything, will vote for literal Nazis in whatever the next election is. True fact.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

spit on my clit posted:

Bernie would have won, that's an unpopular fact :colbert:

if by unpopular you mean only young white people believe it

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Dross posted:

If enough white people believe in something then it becomes true. Like quidditch becoming an actual sport.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Dross posted:

shoo shoo electoral gains goblin

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I don't know what people find so bad about "We Built This City"

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

:(:hf::(
Always thought it was kinda cute.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Dross posted:

Not really but cool that you want to erase any non-young white person who thinks that

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I didn't know it was particularly disliked by anyone.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Tiggum posted:

I didn't know it was particularly disliked by anyone.

I've seen numerous people call it 'the worst song of all time'. Several magazines as well :shrug:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_Built_This_City#Reception

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I could stand to hear out a new social contract.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Caufman posted:

I could stand to hear out a new social contract.

Noli Me Tangere?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I've seen numerous people call it 'the worst song of all time'.

That's ridiculous. Dave Barry determined the worst song of all time a while ago, and he's correct, it's "I Shot The Sheriff (But I Did Not Shoot The Deputy)"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

I've seen numerous people call it 'the worst song of all time'. Several magazines as well :shrug:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_Built_This_City#Reception

I love music but that section's text is so dumb and irrelevant that my eyes glaze over

PHUO: everybody likes music and has different tastes, if you think X kind of music is SOOOO BAD then it's you that's the real loser.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I'll touch whatever I god drat feel like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

Caufman posted:

I'll touch whatever I god drat feel like.

Touch me