Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
I started reading and caught up just a little bit after Water 7, mostly because every week in the naruto thread ppl were talking about how good op was.

They were right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

I remember I was babysitting a kid, and we were watching TV because I didn't know how to babysit kids, and 4Kidz had this new show One Piece, and I thought it was charming but nothing special. I remember we saw the episode where Kuina died, only it was incredibly obvious that the show was being rewritten/censored in some way, kinda like Naruto was which at the time was the cool anime everybody loved. So I got curious, went out and found subs for the Japanese version, and I watched up to episode 19 and cried like a baby, and then I kept watching up to when Luffy beat Arlong and gently caress it, I was hooked for the long haul. And I kept up with just the anime until episode 290, which at that point I had caught up to the anime as it was airing, and gently caress waiting on that cliffhanger for more episodes, I dived straight into the manga and never looked back.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
one of my really long time e-friends has been reading it since like skypeia and tried convincing me to read it for 10 years straight and right when fishman island was wrapping up i finally caved in and expected to read 4 volumes max and drop it hard but it sucked me in like nothing else and i read it twice fully and wholly in a span of 2 months after dropping every other hobby in my life and here i am now

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
I saw the 4Kids dub and I hated it. It was actually Naruto that got me into One Piece. I used to have to download the new issues of Naruto each week (in the days before sites would upload them page by page) and OP was always listed alongside it.

When I caught up to the new issues for the first time, the latest OP was the one where Luffy falls onto the Going Merry after fighting Rob Lucci. That was 11 years ago :stonk:

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
I started watching the anime when the manga was at Water 7, and finally caught up right before Ace got roasted. Then I switched over to the manga and haven't looked back since.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The first I saw was the 4Kids dub when Bon Clay was spinning around a bunch and I thought "the hell is this garbage" and turned it off. Then later I saw the Sabaody anime opening, read the chapter where Kuma blasts the crew away (it was up to the Paramount War by then) and was so impressed that it wrecked its own protagonists like that that I got started, stuck through until Zoro got his poo poo pushed in by Mihawk and never looked back.

I switched from the anime to the manga just before the timeskip, as I ran out of episodes.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
Been a follower since the first issue of the physical version of Shonen Jump Viz released in America. So that's what, 15-ish years now?

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
I got into the series around the end of Enies Lobby/beginning of Thriller Bark. I know this because I remember seeing a thread on another forum about Luffy's father being revealed and that somehow inspired me to give it a try. I had already read Bleach and Naruto so moving onto the last of the big 3 felt like a logical thing to do, but I was initially turned off by the bizarre art and garbage scan/translation quality. Then I found out the official Finnish translation had been coming out for a while, so I started reading that from the beginning and started watching the anime once it caught up (around the beginning of Alabasta). Funny thing is that it was pretty difficult to find some of the earlier volumes, I had to scour second-hand bookstores so I was missing chunks of Usopp and Sanji's backstory for a long while. I can't imagine what a nightmare it must be to try collecting them all now.

I think I caught up sometime around Brook's introduction in the manga, I know I switched from anime to manga before Merry's funeral, maybe because the anime actually caught up around that point. After that I read the manga weekly and preferred to watch the anime in chunks of 5-10 episodes because the pacing had gotten so insufferable. Finally gave up on the anime for good at the end of the summit war.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Kuroyama posted:

Been a follower since the first issue of the physical version of Shonen Jump Viz released in America. So that's what, 15-ish years now?

I started in on the second because someone brought it to school and let me borrow it

I liked naruto and bleach more at first. that, uh, didn't last

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Kuroyama posted:

Yeah, this was me. I saw it on 4kids and liked it but could tell something was wrong so I started reading it in Shonen Jump and then eventually watching it (RIP Kaizoku-Fansubs). I took a break from reading it before Fishman Island but caught back up right after Dressrosa ended.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I think I started around when the Skypiea arc came out, so around 15 years ago. drat it's been long.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

alkanphel posted:

I think I started around when the Skypiea arc came out, so around 15 years ago. drat it's been long.

Has it really been that long since then? How long ago does that make Impel Down?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Has it really been that long since then? How long ago does that make Impel Down?

Wiki says that chapter 523 was released on Nov. 22nd, 2008.

So a little less than 9 years ago.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
MAN it was that long between the two? poo poo feels like last year. I feel my retrospective grasp of time is... bad.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

It's gonna be another decade for sure

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So I finished the Fishman Island Arc and now at the beginning of Hazard Punk
I made the switch to the manga from the anime and here are my impression.

Good:
- WAY better paced! The pacing is solid as things are no longer drawn out. Each chapter is the perfect length.

- Gags such as Sanji's lovestruckness, Usoop's freak outs, etc. are limited to a single instant instead of taking a couple of seconds (panels)

- I can't imagine changing the story to where Hori was a slave, as they supposedly did in the anime. That COMPLETELY undermines the entire message and impact of the arc.

- The tone is a bit different. Luffy and his cree definitely come off as much more formidable as they struggle against no one.

Bad:
- What the gently caress is going on in some of these panels? Like I cannot understand and process what is going on by looking at them and there are some hard to follow panel transitions.

- Fight scenes leave much less of an impact.

- Some odd translation calls I don't agree with. Like changing some characters laughs to be more normal.

Overall, I am enjoying it and will probably stick with the manga for my primary One Piece experience.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I started early in High School so it's been somewhere between 10-12 years for me. A friend lent me the manga and I fell in love so I started watching the anime. I watched up until I think around Skypiea, wherever Kaizoku-Fansubs left off at that time, then had to switch to like two or three different fansubbers until I got current which was I think around the time of Water 7, before Enies Lobby. Then I went back and read all of the manga, which had some truly rear end-quality scans back then. Good times.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
wheres pudding

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

ChubbyThePhat posted:

MAN it was that long between the two? poo poo feels like last year. I feel my retrospective grasp of time is... bad.

I know what you mean, going by the date I would've been in college at the time but it feels like it was a hell've lot more recent than that.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I don't even remember when I started reading this stuff but it was mostly because my friends read it so I gave it a try. I tanked through bad fan scans and good fan scans to get to...Skypeia, I think? I don't even remember, it was long ago.

Needless to say, I never stopped, One Piece is good! I remember back when all big three were a thing, my friends and I always talked about them, and had an order at that: One Piece was the always good one, Naruto was the unpredictable one that could be great or terrible on a chapter basis, Bleach was mediocre and not worth talking about. Fairy Tail soon took Bleach's place because it was and is terrible but it's never mediocre, Naruto ended and we never got into Boruto, but OP is still great and we love it.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I started with the first chapter. Didn't follow too closely. Stopped for a bit and came back for skypia

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
I started a bit after the Water 7 story began, which is somewhere around the early 2000s. First I discovered it at a bookstore in the manga section and was impressed by how distinct its art style was from the other offerings, which at the time were stuff like Dragonball, Detective Conan, Sailor Moon, Rurouni Kenshin, Hajime No Ippo and Samurai Deeper Kyo (and Naruto and Bleach of course), to name some of the series I remember having a volume count in the double digits at the time. The bookstore had the Little Garden/Alabasta section of the story available, but it was the french translation so it was far behind since it was shipped from Europe.

After reading that I started looking up more stuff online and found an MSN group with low quality scans up (including the infamous BISOROMI BEAR translation) and binged through it. It was pretty exciting to read through the Water 7 arc as it unfolded since there was a strong "new crewmember" vibe to that arc (along with rumours floating around), and at the time Franky was still just a mysterious silhouetted villain so it actually seemed like Paulie would be the next crewmember.

However, I think the main reason Water 7 was exciting was that it felt like a radical shift in the storytelling. In the previous arcs, the backbone of the arc was always fairly transparent, e.g.: "They're going to Alabasta and Crocodile is the final boss", "They're going to Skypeia and Enel is the final boss", "They're doing a Davy Jones fight and Foxy is the final boss", etc. Water 7 seemed like it was just "they're going to Water 7 and getting a new ship and maybe a new crewmate", and then the CP9 reveal happened and BLEW MY MIND. The fact that Usopp had left the crew and Robin was gone lent a sense of unease that didn't exist previously, especially since the Davy Back Fight arc had a "Yeah they're not *really* going to lose a crewmate" undertone to it, so it was a fresh and unique experience that cemented my love for One Piece.

The breakdancing giraffe might have also been a factor.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I started after my friend kept telling me about Marineford though I did watch a bit of the 4kids stuff.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I started reading and caught up somewhere around the end of Water 7, either right before they escaped on the Going Merry or the chapter when Coby and Helmeppo attack them.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

punk rebel ecks posted:

- What the gently caress is going on in some of these panels? Like I cannot understand and process what is going on by looking at them and there are some hard to follow panel transitions.

Yeah, Oda tends to make his panels really dense, which while it allows for faster story progression and foe more background gags/minor characterization, it can also make some scenes a bit disorienting at times, though as somebody who has been reading for a while, it's usually clear what's intended in these panels.

Looper posted:

wheres pudding

I bet she's in the next chapter.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

So, to celebrate One Piece's 20th anniversary, my friends and I made a pirate lunchbox for dinner.

It ended up pretty good! Zoro's favorite was the hit of the evening, followed closely by Franky's. It was my first time both making and eating curry.

Usopp's was the worst. None of us had made plain ol' grilled fish before. It tasted alright, but it was a pain in the neck to eat, so most of it got tossed.

Luffy's favorite: MEAT. Nondescript manga meat isn't a real thing, so I had to improvise. That's a pork roast cut in half and skewered with a "bone" made of peeled and carved gobo. It ended up looking alright, but eating it kinda sucked. (I took it home as leftovers and just now ate it.) The pork roast was super lean and it was kind of a chore to eat it with no mashed potatoes or whatever.

The straw hat belongs to the gals. They got it at some convention or other.

Zoro's favorite: white rice (with curry). Got the curry mix, gobo, mackerel, and takoyaki from my nearest (hour and half away) Japanese grocery. The place was pretty neat but I felt like a huge weeb walking around. I cubed the other half of the pork roast and tossed it into the curry. It was real good!

The beer is my friends'. We set it next to Zoro's plate because, well, close enough.

Nami's favorite: tangerines. These are not tangerines. We hosed up and forgot to get these until the day of and had to settle for, I think, mandarin oranges.

I dunno what the map is a map for. The gals just had it, so we put it down for Nami. Maybe it's from a board game?

Usopp's favorite: grilled fish. Okay, maybe it wasn't the star of the show, but it was still kinda fun to make. Especially because of my friend was super grossed out by it, but after one beer, was gingerly picking it up and talking about how pretty its scales were.

Said friend also had that slingshot (Usopp's Kabuto) custom made by a friend of her's. It actually fires! Sort of.

Sanji's favorite: spicy pasta. I had nothing to do with this one, short of mixing the sauce in. It's just angel hair pasta and a spicy tomato sauce, but it was really good. Spicier than I was expecting; I'm glad I only had 1/3 of a serving.

We didn't have any prop for Sanji. We tried a big kitchen knife, but it didn't look right just sitting there. A cigarette would have been perfect, but none of us smoke.

Chopper's favorite: cotton candy. Man, I searched everywhere for cotton candy. Finally got lucky and found a couple bags of it on a random endcap in the 4th grocery store I went to. If you zoom in close, you can see the gross, hard bits that formed by simply being exposed to air. Whoops! By the end of the night, that was a solid brick fused to the plate.

There's actually two props for Chopper. The hat was a present from me. I think I got it off Etsy or something. The band aid was a last minute addition.

Robin's favorite: finger sandwiches. It took me embarrassingly long to realize the joke there. These are simple cucumber sandwiches; cucumber, a spread made from cream cheese and Italian seasoning, and a sprinkling of dill. They provided a light and refreshing end to the meal.

One of my friends works in a library and is a huge book nerd, so she had some old books to set up for Robin. The cup of tea is there for both Robin and Brook, who both listed tea as a favorite.

... and I only just realized that if we had made it coffee, it could have been Sanji's prop... gently caress!

Franky's favorite: burgers. Another one I had nothing to do with. Classic burgers with cheddar cheese on Hawaiian rolls (the savory butter kind). Can't go wrong!

Franky's prop is the cola up top. I wanted to put it near his plate like all the others, but it was too tall and blocked the view of something wherever I put it.

Brook's favorite: takoyaki. I gave up at the beginning for this one and just bought some frozen takoyaki from the Japanese grocery I mentioned previously. I also bought a bottle of takoyaki sauce to go with them, but I think they forgot to put it in my bags and I'll be damned if I'm doing another 3-hour round trip drive to go get it. Which sucks, because I think the sauce would have really helped it. As it was, the takoyaki was really spongy and cold by the time we finished plating everything and taking pictures like Instagram teens.

I'm not sure where they got the stuffed Laboon. Probably a convention. Their corgi likes to cuddle with it and it's super cute.

All-in-all, it was a really fun evening, totally worth all the trouble. We cooked everything listening to the One Piece soundtrack and basically destroyed their kitchen by the time we finished. We ate while watching the anime, of course. They're still not caught up, and unfortunately the pacing is getting so bad that one of them consistently falls asleep by the 4th episode. Dressrosa, man...

Anyway, happy 20th anniversary, One Piece! Here's to (maybe not so) many more!

lowercase16 fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jul 20, 2017

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I got into One Piece in 5th grade, when a classmate introduced it to me. It was my first true interaction with manga; I'd read all 42 volumes of Dragonball before (mom had a friend who's son owned all or most of the volumes), but Dragonbal was just... different, you know? Plus, back then, I didn't really understand the concept of 'manga' as a Korean kid living in the US. Comics, manga, anime, cartoons, etc. were all just '만화' to me. Pokemon was no different from Street Sharks or Justice League or whatever, except that Pokemon was also available as a game. And also Pokemon was on way too early in the morning; I think I only watched Pokemon once or twice until I moved back to Korea. It was the episode with the Mankey.

In 5th grade, my family moved back to Korea, and the school I went to had a special class in each grade for students adjusting to life in Korea, so I got to be in a small class with like 3 or 4 other kids who'd also spent some time in English-speaking regions and also 1 classmate who used to live in Japan, and she introduced me to Rurouni Kenshin and One Piece. And that poo poo just blew my mind. I think Korea had just started officially translating the manga, and the concept of the Internet was still very unfamiliar. At most, it was for logging onto the Shockwave site and watching the animated stuff that people made or playing flash games on the site. I don't know if there was even an online scanlation / fansub scene back then. Korea also had comic book rental stores where you could borrow comic books for a while, and I remember reading the hell out of all the new and wonderful manga I could get my hands on. Samurai Deeper Kyo, Change Guy, One Piece, Rurouni Kenshin, Naruto, Bleach, Angel Densetsu, Inuyasha, and so on...

I think when I entered middle school, Naruto was the Big Thing that kids loved, and I'm pretty sure it was the same for me. But when I look back now, I tend to remember reading the Baroque Works saga before, during, and after the group private tutoring groups that often included my classmates from 5th grade (moms were friends). I can't fully remember how far along One Piece was by the time I finished middle school, but I do know that I own(ed) volume 25 in Korean, so I guess it was around the Jaya arc. I do remember when One Piece got dubbed in Korean, and I tried watching it, and I couldn't handle dubbed anime (I still hate Korean dubbed anime to this day) and the Korean voices so I gave up after one episode.

Then after graduating middle school, family moved to Canada this time, and it was harder to get access to manga so my sisters and I had to search online. There was a small Korean mall with a comic rental store, but new additions were late, the mall was too far away to walk to, the books cost more to rent than in Korea, and Canadian public transportation was loving expensive. That's when I found out about stuff like NarutoFan and the StopTazmo forums and MangaHelpers and all that jazz. I also remember watching episodes of Naruto and Bleach on YouTube during lunchtime in the school library, back when that was still a thing, but never One Piece for some reason. I guess I still preferred edgy ninjas and death gods to pirates back then. I also liked Prince of Tennis back then, so I'm fairly sure high school me had poo poo taste.

I do remember when, uh, Franky House would always use that picture of Sogeking as their credits page with a new caption. My friend and I thought those were hilarious.

But Naruto and Bleach spiraled downwards, while One Piece remained consistently amazing, and now One Piece is probably my favorite shounen. I'm still never fully sure what Oda is going to throw at me, but I always find myself getting hyped when poo poo goes down.

One Piece has been with me for like 2/3 of my life. I've seen multiple scanlation groups rise and fall. Frank House. AP Scans? Something like that? Some group that started with Quick? Blinktopia and Red Hawk Scanlations. I've witnessed and been a part of internet slap fights over who would win, who had stronger fruits, and so on. I've gotten unreasonably hyped over the smallest of poo poo and laughed at the silliest of jokes. I've wept over a skeleton playing the piano and a boat being set on fire. And that's pretty loving awesome.

God bless Oda.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Holy poo poo that's amazing and fun.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I got into One Piece back in high school. I got into anime and was watching Evangelion, Bleach, Cowboy Bebop, Dragonaball, and other stuff. I was getting into Bleach when I made a friend who was HUGE into anime. He would NEVER shut the gently caress up about One Piece. Always claimed it was the greatest show ever. I watched a few episodes and gave it a shot. Eventually I was hooked and couldn't believe the show wasn't more popular.

lowercase16 posted:

Cool poo poo/

Awesome. I forgot it was the 20th anniversary yesterday!

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Yeah Skypiea was around 2002!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Looking back at the list of manga I read while younger, it's amazing how online manga reader sites have completely expanded the range of manga available for readers.

Most of the stuff I read was shounen or horror (Ito Junji's stuff, why would they let 6th graders rent Ito Junji books??????), but now you can find so much stuff online. Like isekai manga. Or reincarnation manga. Or reincarnation in an isekai manga. Or a novel take on an isekai manga. Or a manga take on an isekai light novel.

So much variety!

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Oh I forgot the part about why I picked up One Piece. It was because it was in the library that was by my bus stop and I kept grabbing manga to read instead of going straight home and I'd already read all the other books in there. I'd been avoiding it because of the art style. The library only had three books of it, which were... the Baratie one where Sanji fights the iron armor guy, the Arlong one where the non-Arlong people get beat up and Luffy is underwater the whole book, and one from Little Garden. It was a very confused mixture but it was enough to get me to read the series.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Oh yeah. The manga calls Zoro "Zolo" instead. Zoro's a better name. :colbert:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Korean translations call Sanji 상디 (pronounced Sang Di) so it took a while to get used to that.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

lowercase16 posted:

Usopp's favorite: grilled fish. Okay, maybe it wasn't the star of the show, but it was still kinda fun to make. Especially because of my friend was super grossed out by it, but after one beer, was gingerly picking it up and talking about how pretty its scales were.
what's the proper way to eat this? just like, bite it? that's what they do in anime right? it always seemed weird

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Countblanc posted:

what's the proper way to eat this? just like, bite it? that's what they do in anime right? it always seemed weird

I assume so. They're everywhere at Japanese festivals, just grills surrounded by countless fish on skewers. I've never been brave enough to try one, but they seem reliably popular.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Don't you usually have a skewer going through the fish?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Do Westerners not eat whole grilled fish.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Not as a finger food, no. It's more plated and then picked apart with a fork if it's a whole fish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Why not just use chopsticks.