Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
https://twitter.com/matthewamiller/status/887820531982098432

lol the gop has backed itself into such a gerrymandered-corner that they're going to let themselves forever openly be shat on by the president, which now includes flaunting of high crimes

skylined! fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Bicyclops posted:

Maybe just don't use the term at all. I don't care if they're putting stuff under museum glass to the detriment of their budget, maladaptive obsessive behavior has a term: "maladaptive obsessive behavior."

Hmmm....how many operable NES systems, Simons and unopened Boba-Fett action figures do you own?

Sorry, just trying to steer us out of gun chat, even though I contributed to it.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Madkal posted:

Reminder that Trump Jr said he was also talking about adoptions before he confessed.

Yes, exactly.

Him making GBS threads on Jeff Sessions and implying Comey was trying to blackmail seem to dominate initial coverage of this but it's amazing that, after the entire last week of 'adoptions' being this bullshit pretext that was thoroughly debunked, Trump went straight back to it again.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Are they talking about the Solar eclipse?

LOL at fundies thinking that astronomical events predicted by The Science centuries in advance is evidence of Jeeeazus and not Science being real.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

skylined! posted:

https://twitter.com/matthewamiller/status/887820531982098432

lol the gop has backed itself into such a gerrymandered-corner that they're going to let themselves forever openly shat on by the president, which now includes flaunting of high crimes

It'd be a lot funnier if our country wasn't suffering as a result.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

BiggerBoat posted:

Hmmm....how many operable NES systems, Simons and unopened Boba-Fett action figures do you own?

Sorry, just trying to steer us out of gun chat, even though I contributed to it.

2, 0, 0.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Maybe there is some grumpy oligarch in Russia who was making bank off the adoption thing (I could believe it - adoptions are ludicrously expensive) and is annoying Putin about it still being shut down?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

PneumonicBook posted:

The far lefts 'ban them all forever' is a non starter.

Name one left wing person with any sort of power who's ever proposed this, you loving idiot.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Shifty Pony posted:

Maybe there is some grumpy oligarch in Russia who was making bank off the adoption thing (I could believe it - adoptions are ludicrously expensive) and is annoying Putin about it still being shut down?

there are grumpy oligarchs because the Magnitsky Act hosed with their money via direct financial sanctions. 'adoptions' is code word for this.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

To be fair, it's reeeeeally hard to get tickets.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Most really far left people I know are pro gun. As am I. :shrug:

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Shifty Pony posted:

adoption is like $kk expensive/profitable

money laundering profits from organized crime, theft by the state and shady real estate transactions is $kkkkkk profitable

they are not talking about adoption

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Sessions is extremely unfair to the president.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Now I may not be a professional special prosecutor, but I'd sure as poo poo be digging through those finances if I was one.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Most really far left people I know are pro gun. As am I. :shrug:

there's really no reason to be. any revolution would require the military to join it to have success.

not to mention tunisia overthrew its dictatorship while having the lowest gun ownership rate in the world.

there's no reason to be "pro-gun". it's not what the second amendment was written for and there's really no factual defense for it. the only defense is "i like guns".

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002
They murdered a Russian forensic accoutnant named Magnitsky. He was hired by an investor some Russian oligarchs ripped off. Magnitsky uncovered massive graft fraud and theft, and then Russian government imprisoned him and beat him to death.

The act is a series of targeted sanctions against individual Russian oligarchs. Putin retaliated by freezing American parents who sought to adopt Russian orphans, because he and his are genuinely awful trash people.

Hence, adoptions.

Randbrick fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 20, 2017

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

https://twitter.com/stevebruskCNN/status/887824661920321536?s=15

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Oh poo poo, that's bad.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that explains the comey questioning.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

I am very concerned.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

efb

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

PneumonicBook posted:

To affect change you need to work within the accepted framework. The far lefts 'ban them all forever' is a non starter. There are legitimate effective ways the country could start handling it's gun problem but when both sides are too busy screaming at each other like it's Facebook it will never happen.

I suppose now with how partisan all politics are we've probably lost that chance, nationally at least. Local laws can only do so much when you've got red states sitting next to blue states.

LOL you think that like 3 people on facebook are a problem when congress can't even pass basic common sense gun control in the wake of a bunch of kids being murdered and a mass shooting happening every single day of the year.

The reason that gun control doesn't get passed is because people like you bring up "lefties want to take them all forever!" everytime anyone suggests any sort of legislation no matter how mild.

You're the problem, not leftists.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Well I feel slightly bad for all the things I said about him because his brain is literally rotting in his skull and that's not so much his fault.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
So we're going to have a special election for a new senator?

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Well, that's deeply concerning.

La Brea Carpet posted:

I am very concerned.

Damnit.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

why do bad things always happen to bad people???

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

here's hoping he lives a long, fulfilling life outside of politics and with zero influence on anything ever again

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jaxyon posted:

LOL you think that like 3 people on facebook are a problem when congress can't even pass basic common sense gun control in the wake of a bunch of kids being murdered and a mass shooting happening every single day of the year.

The reason that gun control doesn't get passed is because people like you bring up "lefties want to take them all forever!" everytime anyone suggests any sort of legislation no matter how mild.

You're the problem, not leftists.

no you see wanting universal background checks like something like 90 percent of americans want is literally disarming every red blooded gun owner.

i have to register my loving car.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

nachos posted:

Nope. R Governor gets to appoint an R.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

twice burned ice posted:

A thought about this:

If people remain ideologically consistent through life (something studies have shown is largely true), but the political discourse shifts left over time (the whole point of progressivism vs conservativism), then it would seem like people become more conservative as they age. In absolute terms, their positions might not have changed but progressive positions from fifty years ago (e.g. blacks should probably be allowed to drink at the same water fountains as whites) look pretty starkly un-progressive now.

This is something that I often find myself wondering: provided climate change doesnt kill us all*, what do you think will be the topics WE will be bigots about 50 years from now while the new generations call us old fashioned? Honestly I cannot think of anything.

*I wish there was some sort of universal shorthand for this, since to me it's inconceivable to make any future predicitions without this disclaimer.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Covok posted:

Oh poo poo, that's bad.

Don't worry, the tissue of concern was completely resected.

https://twitter.com/samstein/status/887825014006874112

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Lost my grandmother to brain cancer years ago after watching her slowly... then quickly... completely lose her loving mind (literally).

McCain has been through a lot of poo poo, and he's a generic old white man with old white man thoughts that are going to be further and further removed from reality. I feel bad for him and his family.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

mcmagic posted:

Nope. R Governor gets to appoint an R.

Only a temp appointment. November 2018 special election.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
The sad thing is that Trump could easily fix healthcare and has already demonstrated that he has ideas that work. During an interview a few months ago, he suggested Medicare Part D negotiating prices of drugs. Drug company stock prices TANKED before Kellyanne got on the TV to say that Trump didn't mean it.

He could also do a Medicaid / Medicare buy in for areas that do not have a single insurer. Make the price comparable in cost to a similar area in the state with the same cost of living. <-- This program would never be used btw because insurance companies would take the hit in those areas before ever seceding coverage to Medicaid, unless Medicaid is run by those companies.

Fund the risk pools.

If he wants to get fancy, raise the income and cap gains tax to an even 40% from 39.6% and drop the device tax as a bone to the device companies. Make the Medicaid expansion 100% federal and have it paid for with the 0.4% increase. Now states have 0 reason to not take the medicaid expansion.

This requires 0 effort on his part and would be hugely popular. It would reduce the uninsured down to single digits. The Medicare drug price negotiations would show that he's a Serious Businessman.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

nachos posted:

When he resigns and/or dies, the governor will appoint a new Republican, and the governor is a shithead.

I hope McCain remains alive, incapacitated, and clogging the seat until 2018.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

AceOfFlames posted:

This is something that I often find myself wondering: provided climate change doesnt kill us all*, what do you think will be the topics WE will be bigots about 50 years from now while the new generations call us old fashioned? Honestly I cannot think of anything.

*I wish there was some sort of universal shorthand for this, since to me it's inconceivable to make any future predicitions without this disclaimer.

we're not gonna let our grandkids marry robots.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

ugh

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

that explains the comey questioning.

Wow, if it's affecting him that much that's not a good sign, is it? Though Jimmy Carter's cancer had spread to the brain and he's survived long past the initial "a few weeks left to live" diagnosis.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Yep, after his "sunset moment" in front of the cameras this was totally expected.

One of the most common symptoms of brain tumors is that the person starts talking absolute gibberish all of a sudden. Happened to my grandmother - that's how we found out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

So much for the tolerant left lobe

• Locked thread