Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nordick posted:

In more accessible news, Arch Enemy have a new single out and it's pretty great if you like poppy stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk2-bgwA0Ro
Man, how weird would it be to have Alissa use her not-at-all-bad clean-singing voice for Arch Enemy? Is Michael Amott scared that, with clean vocals, people would pretty much go

:) "Oh, hey this Power Metal band is pretty coo-- WAIT A SECOND, IT'S ARCH ENEMY?"
:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Nordick posted:

In more accessible news, Arch Enemy have a new single out and it's pretty great if you like poppy stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk2-bgwA0Ro

I don't really dig this, War Eternal was more of an interesting track, this seems very Arch Enemy by numbers to me.
That said the whispering bit was pretty cool and out of nowhere.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
I dig the new new Arch Enemy a lot, it is quite poppy and standard AE fare but I like it. Looking forward to new Wintersun too, I like what I've heard so far.

Ensiferum just dropped the first new track from their next album too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiuf4uSYFlQ

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

I dig the new new Arch Enemy a lot, it is quite poppy and standard AE fare but I like it. Looking forward to new Wintersun too, I like what I've heard so far.

Ooh I'll give that a listen. I have a soft spot for ensiferum.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Listened to the new Wintersun at the gym today. Not really impressed. That mix is really bad, as someone else here said.

In other news I saw Slough Feg is currently in the studio making a new album. That rules.

This is cool

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Wark Say posted:

Man, how weird would it be to have Alissa use her not-at-all-bad clean-singing voice for Arch Enemy? Is Michael Amott scared that, with clean vocals, people would pretty much go

:) "Oh, hey this Power Metal band is pretty coo-- WAIT A SECOND, IT'S ARCH ENEMY?"

Arch Enemy is a black hole of talent. Remember that this band first devoured members of Carcass, Carnage, Eucharist, Mercyful Fate, Nevermore, and others, only to make the blandest music possible. Nobody in that band is allowed to do anything interesting, and if they were, the singer already violated the dress code of long-sleeved black jackets all the time, even if it's 95 degrees on stage.

P.S. Eucharist rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXto0vh7wq4

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

I had no idea Jeff Loomis had been in Arch Enemy for two years.

loving rip.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I like Arch Enemy now and then but it really is baffling how the band is full of musicians underplaying their ability. They're seeing success though so something is going right.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Wark Say posted:

Yeah I just recently heard Alissa do some clean vocals for some song I can't even remember just now and she wasn't half bad. I wouldn't mind at all if Arch Enemy made some use of that.

Fake edit: Now I remember, it was this pretty cool collaborative Dio cover:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjxpMCiUI7Q

tote up a bags posted:

I don't really dig this, War Eternal was more of an interesting track, this seems very Arch Enemy by numbers to me.
Well to be fair it kinda is a bit of a one-trick pony. It's just that the one trick is really drat good. I mean that guitar melody in the chorus, goddamn that's one tasty hook.

I feel like this is pretty cheesy even by Ensiferum's standards but whatever, this is a really nice song.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Ensiferum has standards other than iron and victory?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I was just referring that songtitle and the even-more-bombastic orchestral background. I didn't mean it's a big or significant difference. :shrug:

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I haven't listened to an Arch Enemy song since the early 2000's, don't feel like changing that

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Varg posted:

I haven't listened to an Arch Enemy song since the early 2000's, don't feel like changing that

they all wear matching armbands now. i think they're supposed to be a band of rebels from the planet hoth?

i dunno; it's cute stuff that goes over big with the hot topic crowd

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 19, 2017

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
When did they get rid of Angela? I also have not paid attention to them since Wages of Sin

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Demon Of The Fall posted:

When did they get rid of Angela? I also have not paid attention to them since Wages of Sin
Angela quit of her own accord in 2014 to pursue other interests. She chose Alissa as her successor herself and is still the band's business manager.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
What saddens me the most is that Jeff Loomis is one of the few "shredders" that do not completely annoy / bore me to tears. But hey, whatever pays the bills.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I miss Nevermore

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

I miss Nevermore

same

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

A human heart posted:

. if you're not able to listen to lo fi production then a lot of very good or influential black metal is going to be out, and you'll probably end up with an odd view of the genre as a whole since many of the most important recordings, especially older ones, are quite lo fi, or at least not 'modern' in sound. I also think that black metal that is too cleanly produced tends to just sound kind of bad, although that's down to personal preference(I like noise and stuff like that so clean instrument tones do nothing for me).

Well that's what I mean by a can of worms, I don't want to poo poo up the thread with "what is black metal REALLY " , but I've been listening to "black metal" for a very long time, of various sub-genres. So that "raw" black metal exists is not new, but that people/bands are actually making it sound worse ( in terms of production) than the original influences is amazing to me. poo poo, even early Darkthrone or Mayhem have what I would consider better production / mixing then a Paysage d'Hiver album being released this year, and arguably their early and seminal albums would have far less to work with in terms of studios.

I guess there is what I consider a lo-fi sound that still sounds ok to me, and then there is stuff that is REALLY lo-fi that I think sounds like poo poo.

Either way, to each their own, it just seemed like a weird juxtaposition on the Drudkh split, since I really like Drudkh I guess I was expecting something of similar "quality".

In other news

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

The faculty/staff sponsor for my college's heavy metal club played in the Seattle scene with Nevermore. He'll forever think Nevermore got lucky getting signed "over other bands because they sucked in comparison." :v:

btw, Enemies of Reality rips

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I miss Nevermore

It's a shame no one to my knowledge tried to make a good Nevermore spiritual successor

Wark Say posted:

What saddens me the most is that Jeff Loomis is one of the few "shredders" that do not completely annoy / bore me to tears. But hey, whatever pays the bills.

At least his stuff with Keith Merrow slays.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Nordick posted:

Angela quit of her own accord in 2014 to pursue other interests. She chose Alissa as her successor herself and is still the band's business manager.

It's like the antithesis of how Nightwish operate.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Kilometers Davis posted:

At least his stuff with Keith Merrow slays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATMNVWq21A4

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

They're pure riff salad but the salad is 10/10

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

It's like the antithesis of how Nightwish operate.

That public letter though.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Nightwish have been one of my favourite bands for years and years but I never gave that much of a poo poo about all the vocalist drama.
However, if they somehow manage to lose Floor Jansen I swear to god I'll find Tuomas and give him a wedgie myself.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Nordick posted:

Nightwish have been one of my favourite bands for years and years but I never gave that much of a poo poo about all the vocalist drama.
However, if they somehow manage to lose Floor Jansen I swear to god I'll find Tuomas and give him a wedgie myself.

Yeah but then you have to give yourself one for being a huge Nightwish fan

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I already wear my underwear in permanent wedgie position as penance for posting on these forums

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kilometers Davis posted:

They're pure riff salad but the salad is 10/10
Yum!

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Just fyi Ghost kick all sorts of rear end live.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

I miss Nevermore

Same :(

I'm glad I saw them live like 10 times but come on man they still have a story to tell.

Unlike Savatage, which is one of my life's biggest regrets (never saw them live)

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Nordick posted:

But if she did go she might be in a project worth her insane talents (After forever) and not garbage dumpster songs (the last nightwish album, revamp)

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

tote up a bags posted:

But if she did go she might be in a project worth her insane talents (After forever) and not garbage dumpster songs (the last nightwish album, revamp)
Well I literally just now finished watching their latest live DVD* for the first time, and having witnessed her and the band absolutely loving kill even the songs from the last album (which I agree isn't very exciting), all I'm gonna say to that is "lol get the gently caress out".

* EDIT: Well, disc 2 of the 3 disc set as it turns out. Disc 1 has a different gig on it, gonna check that out next.

Seriously though, if there's anyone left here besides me who still has any love for Nightwish, check out Vehicle of Spirit, at least disc 2 with the Tampere show. One of the better live recordings I remember ever seeing.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 20, 2017

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
I'm a fan of the new Wintersun but I agree it's a bit disjointed. Winter is freaking awesome. Autumn is pretty dense and hard to absorb right off the bat but holy hell is it energetic. I'd die if I were their drummer performing that live.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Varg posted:

clean production for more atmospheric/melodic black metal is a good thing when done right - https://tardigrada.bandcamp.com/

Thanks for posting this by the way, good poo poo.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Kilonum posted:

Just fyi Ghost kick all sorts of rear end live.

Ehhhh I saw them open for Maiden recently and all I could think was how much they sound like a worse Pagan Altar.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Shakenbaker posted:

Ehhhh I saw them open for Maiden recently and all I could think was how much they sound like a worse Pagan Altar.

If Ghost sounded like Pagan Altar they'd be a much better band

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
ghost was boring as hell live

Dirt
May 26, 2003

I saw Ghost open for Opeth and Mastodon years ago. They were good. I bought their cd at the merch table.

That's my story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Henchman of Santa posted:

If Ghost sounded like Pagan Altar they'd be a much better band

If [Enter Band Here] sounded like Pagan Altar they'd be a much better band

This is excepting Scald's Will of the Gods is Great Power, obviously. Can't improve what is already perfect.

Dimebags Brain fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jul 20, 2017