Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

whats mcm? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

You got a blank slate and you got to waste it on this poo poo.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

I feel firmly validated in my decision to not watch Game of Thrones because it felt weirdly creepy to me. :stare:

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Lightning Knight posted:

I feel firmly validated in my decision to not watch Game of Thrones because it felt weirdly creepy to me. :stare:

It's interesting as far as a look into a world going to poo poo and how everyone is so busy scrabbling over the pieces they are set to lose everything. Like if you want to watch a solid takedown of the libertarian, FYGM, wouldn't the world just be a better place under a bunch of fuedal lords with absolute dominion? mindset, it's a good watch/read.

But it's almost totally uncritical of gender/race politics, and falls into the trap of glamorizing stuff just by showing it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
It's War of the Roses crossover scifi fanfic with pandering, and an author that would like nothing better than to kill off the cast so that he can work on something else. Temper your expectations on serious themes.

It's still a fun watch.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
While there's an inexcusable degree of White Saviour present in Game of Thrones, and many other problematic elements, there are also honest depictions of the brutality of slavery*, criticisms of "colorblindness"/"a rising tide lifts all ships" (if you read into it), and decent takedowns of sexism and toxic masculinity. So it's not 100% bad.

* I get why that's a very sensitive topic, but I think there's a value to making white people look at what it actually meant for people to be considered property -- it's not just "oh, they worked at a job they couldn't choose to quit and didn't get paid," which is quite bad enough, but also, "they got raped and beaten and killed and maimed and torn away from their family and friends at a whim." That's what slavery was. That's the stuff they don't tell you in school, at least not in those words. EDIT: And while I'm sure it's a very unpleasant reminder of the crimes committed against people whose ancestors suffered those things, in a lot of cases it's whitey's first actual exposure to what that poo poo must have been like. They need a scroll at the bottom saying "Hey, white guys? Yeah, that's what your ancestors did to people of colour -- that's why, just maybe, reparations aren't some liberal plot to gently caress you over."

PT6A fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 20, 2017

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Lightning Knight posted:

*pulls out incredibly dusty and old index card, labeled "joke"*

more like game of (nonconsensual) bones

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

but seriously grum writes a lot of rape and pedophilic rape

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

stone cold posted:

What's especially weird is that the showrunners took some scenes that were consensual* in the books and turned them into violent rape, like there wasn't already enough rape. That was pretty hosed up.

*EDIT: Yeah, one of those wasn't consensual, it just wasn't violent. The show made it also violent in addition to not being consensual, I misspoke.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jul 20, 2017

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

stone cold posted:

The lurid sexuality and fetishization of rape/pedophilia were what turned me off from the show and book, I made it a bit farther with the book but meh.

I'll probably read the books eventually but man those guys are setting themselves up for some poo poo with that dumb show pitch. Also Third Civil War lmao what are they on about, we're approaching Harry Turtledove levels of stupidity there.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

PT6A posted:

What's especially weird is that the showrunners took some scenes that were consensual in the books and turned them into violent rape, like there wasn't already enough rape. That was pretty hosed up.

Lightning Knight posted:

The lurid sexuality and fetishization of rape/pedophilia were what turned me off from the show and book, I made it a bit farther with the book but meh.

I'll probably read the books eventually but man those guys are setting themselves up for some poo poo with that dumb show pitch. Also Third Civil War lmao what are they on about, we're approaching Harry Turtledove levels of stupidity there.

Yeah, I mean I don't have a problem with lurid sexuality or whatever as much as I do the :tvtropes: esp. the pedophilia.

The one "interesting," thing wrt your post, pt6a, was like, the stuff with Daenerys and Khal Drogo was already super gross, but wasn't she even younger in the books?

Yikes, grum. Good riddance to got, imo.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I haven't seen it yet but that gives insight into why all the wypipo in my office seem to hate that show

I just watched the first episode, and it is pretty great (in that it is pretty challenging to white fragility): Shadow Moon, the son of Odin is black, and the bad guys (and Odin) are heavily intertwined with noose/lynching symbolism. The episode also features Yetide Badaki as Bilquis, in a scene where she eats a middle-aged white dude alive with her vagina.

The series is still written and directed almost exclusively by white dudes, but I'm cautiously optimistic about it.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

stone cold posted:

Yeah, I mean I don't have a problem with lurid sexuality or whatever as much as I do the :tvtropes: esp. the pedophilia.

I'm trying to think of a better way to put what I mean by that. Basically I got a strong feeling that the show/book was getting off on the creepy stuff it was throwing at us, not so much that it has a point.

Admittedly I stopped watching after the second episode and I put the first book down about 100 pages in so perhaps it's just a bad first impression issue, but it just felt weird and creepy. It's not that it has lots of sex, it's that it has lot's of sex intermixed with violence and a lack of consent and seems to think we should think this is awesome and cool.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I just watched the first episode, and it is pretty great (in that it is pretty challenging to white fragility): Shadow Moon, the son of Odin is black, and the bad guys (and Odin) are heavily intertwined with noose/lynching symbolism. The episode also features Yetide Badaki as Bilquis, in a scene where she eats a middle-aged white dude alive with her vagina.

The series is still written and directed almost exclusively by white dudes, but I'm cautiously optimistic about it.

Oh boy, are you in for a treat when you meet Anansi in episode two!

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Lead out in cuffs posted:

:same:

It seems pretty ok so far but I also haven't got past the first episode yet because :effort:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

stone cold posted:

The one "interesting," thing wrt your post, pt6a, was like, the stuff with Daenerys and Khal Drogo was already super gross, but wasn't she even younger in the books?

Well, in one way it was a lot more gross and in another way it was less gross. She was younger, but on the other hand it wasn't physically violent, so it's hard to measure if one is "worse" than the other. I don't know you can really rank violent, physical rape as better or worse than statutory rape, because both are very bad in their own ways and if you start down that path, it leads to weird poo poo like "oh, well why didn't she resist him?" I don't mean to defend GRRM's weirdness, I just found it odd that the show made it also extremely violent in addition to being a situation where she couldn't meaningfully consent.

The other scene was when Jaime raped Cersei in the sept, and in the book it was totally consensual, disgusting incest. Again -- it's plenty weird and disturbing as is, why also make it violent? That's on the showrunners.

EDIT: It was wrong of me to call the first one "consensual" when I meant "not violent", I'll own that.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jul 20, 2017

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

PT6A posted:

Well, in one way it was a lot more gross and in another way it was less gross. She was younger, but on the other hand it wasn't physically violent, so it's hard to measure if one is "worse" than the other. I don't know you can really rank violent, physical rape as better or worse than statutory rape, because both are very bad in their own ways and if you start down that path, it leads to weird poo poo like "oh, well why didn't she resist him?" I don't mean to defend GRRM's weirdness, I just found it odd that the show made it also extremely violent in addition to being a situation where she couldn't meaningfully consent.

The other scene was when Jaime raped Cersei in the sept, and in the book it was totally consensual, disgusting incest. Again -- it's plenty weird and disturbing as is, why also make it violent? That's on the showrunners.

EDIT: It was wrong of me to call the first one "consensual" when I meant "not violent", I'll own that.

Explicit rape doesn't invoke any hard questions about how much a teenager sold into marriage can ever really consent. It's an easier moral framing for the small cost of casually brutalizing a woman.

And none of that has anything to do with Negrotown so I think I'll stop.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Yeah Game of Thrones sucks for all the reasons discussed here but I never brought it up in the thread because my instinct was I'd get called a party pooper.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I actually like GoT I just don't want them doing a show about race...

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Dexo posted:

I actually like GoT I just don't want them doing a show about race...

Seems like a bad idea

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

PT6A posted:

While there's an inexcusable degree of White Saviour present in Game of Thrones, and many other problematic elements, there are also honest depictions of the brutality of slavery*, criticisms of "colorblindness"/"a rising tide lifts all ships" (if you read into it), and decent takedowns of sexism and toxic masculinity. So it's not 100% bad.

* I get why that's a very sensitive topic, but I think there's a value to making white people look at what it actually meant for people to be considered property -- it's not just "oh, they worked at a job they couldn't choose to quit and didn't get paid," which is quite bad enough, but also, "they got raped and beaten and killed and maimed and torn away from their family and friends at a whim." That's what slavery was. That's the stuff they don't tell you in school, at least not in those words. EDIT: And while I'm sure it's a very unpleasant reminder of the crimes committed against people whose ancestors suffered those things, in a lot of cases it's whitey's first actual exposure to what that poo poo must have been like. They need a scroll at the bottom saying "Hey, white guys? Yeah, that's what your ancestors did to people of colour -- that's why, just maybe, reparations aren't some liberal plot to gently caress you over."

White people had all the time in the world to look at slavery. We have had numerous movies about slavery. I'm not convinced that this would even be about slavery, but just have it as a backdrop while having a cast of white people talk about political machinations of the Confederacy winning.

I always go back to Django and how that movie makes my blood boil at times. It's a good premise that's squandered by having Django followed a convoluted white savior plot which ends with Django triumphant over the secondary antagonist: a house slave.

I don't hold high confidence.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jul 20, 2017

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Two of the writers are black, it might not be too terrible?

And yeah, American gods is great in every way.

EDIT: also HBO goes from having a flagship show about dragons to having a flagship show about grand dragons.

kanonvandekempen fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jul 20, 2017

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

stone cold posted:

:same:

It seems pretty ok so far but I also haven't got past the first episode yet because :effort:

Dude you really need to watch Episode 2. Anansi's speech about how badly black people get hosed by the US is amazing.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe the stars will align and it'll be a brutal take down of neo-confederate fantasies and antibellum romanticism that we'll all enjoy two or three episodes of until it gets canceled on account of a rain of white tears.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

I thought this was an interesting read re: the Vick/Kaepernick comments.

quote:

That’s the absurdity of respectability politics. Kaepernick doesn’t need to and isn’t better served to abide by fictitious rules about himself or his hair. The manifestation of his protest and of his moment is exactly what Baldwin envisioned writing The Fire Next Time.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

there wolf posted:

Maybe the stars will align and it'll be a brutal take down of neo-confederate fantasies and antibellum romanticism that we'll all enjoy two or three episodes of until it gets canceled on account of a rain of white tears.

First season is finished.

Second appearance by Anansi was him telling a story about how America cannot abide the presence of a powerful black woman, and that American Men will do just about anything to break her down whenever they find her (giving the backstory of Bilquis and her time in America prior to the first episode she showed up in).

EDIT:

It's been renewed, and there is a hilarious quote from Neil Gaiman here about it:

"the renewal article" posted:

Last week, Neil Gaiman spoke to Variety about his experience developing the show. Asked what happens when you run out of text to adapt, Gaiman said, “By that time, one of two things will have happened. Either President Trump will have destroyed the world, or I will have written or be solidly into the ‘American Gods’ sequel.”

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jul 21, 2017

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

biracial bear for uncut posted:

First season is finished.

Second appearance by Anansi was him telling a story about how America cannot abide the presence of a powerful black woman, and that American Men will do just about anything to break her down whenever they find her (giving the backstory of Bilquis and her time in America prior to the first episode she showed up in).

EDIT:

It's been renewed, and there is a hilarious quote from Neil Gaiman here about it:

I was referring to the 3rd Civil War show by the GoT guys. I'd be a little disappointed if American Gods was just about skewering neoconfederate fantasies, if only because it's a story with a black lead and a lot of black characters making a statement about culture and the human condition, and there's more to black lives than just the legacy of slavery.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

there wolf posted:

I was referring to the 3rd Civil War show by the GoT guys. I'd be a little disappointed if American Gods was just about skewering neoconfederate fantasies, if only because it's a story with a black lead and a lot of black characters making a statement about culture and the human condition, and there's more to black lives than just the legacy of slavery.

Given the multitude of Jesuses (Jesusi?) they had in the finale I'd be disappointed if there wasn't a God of White America to deal with at some point (Vulcan doesn't count).

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I think the correct plural is Jesupodes.

A straight up God of White America might be a bit too on the nose even for American Gods, we'll have to see.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Given the multitude of Jesuses (Jesusi?) they had in the finale I'd be disappointed if there wasn't a God of White America to deal with at some point (Vulcan doesn't count).

Only watched up to Episode 3. I'm so happy the Jesuses made an appearance and that swarthy korean Jesus got a shoutout.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

pedantic nonsense Jesi, Jesui, Jesua, etc. You don't just slap the new suffix on top of the old one.

It's be interesting, but they might be going for the idea that there's less a single deity of white supremacy and more it's a trait that carries over into a lot of them. It's hard to ignore that the old gods of Europe are largely Norse, Germanic, and Irish which are what white supremacists tend to build new cults around when they decide Jesus is too brown. And the new gods are of course all white as well.

there wolf fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jul 22, 2017

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
:getin:

https://twitter.com/wandrngscholar/status/889942407898435586

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Ahahaha yeah. That was a really good read, thanks for posting it.

funny way to spell
Nov 4, 2012

That guy is such an idiot.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Man crush Monday. It's an excuse for women and gay dudes to post attractive dudes they're thirsty for.

Same concept goes for Woman Crush Wednesday.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Phone posting but..

http://www.theroot.com/an-ode-to-the-blackest-fruit-of-all-time-1797514914

Happy National Watermelon Day.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2017/08/no-confederate/535512/?utm_source=twb

quote:

HBO’s motives aside, the plea to wait supposes that a problem of conception can be fixed in execution. We do not need to wait to observe that this supposition is, at best, dicey. For over a century, Hollywood has churned out well-executed, slickly produced epics which advanced the Lost Cause myth of the Civil War. These are true “alternative histories,” built on “alternative facts,” assembled to depict the Confederacy as a wonderland of virtuous damsels and gallant knights, instead of the sprawling kleptocratic police state it actually was. From last century’s The Birth of a Nation to this century’s Gods and Generals, Hollywood has likely done more than any other American institution to obstruct a truthful apprehension of the Civil War, and thus modern America’s very origins. So one need not wait to observe that any foray by HBO into the Civil War must be met with a spirit of pointed inquiry and a withholding of all benefit of the doubt.

The notion that we should give the benefit of the doubt is wrong when the premise of the show is wrong.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
You guys are gonna feel real bad when the show comes out and it's just archive footage of confederate monuments being destroyed and things like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ygSGRyG5FY

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

It must be nice to be a mediocre white man in Hollywood.

You get an Emmy for writing "Good girl, bad pussy" and a racist rear end show greenlit no questions asked.

Scott Buck keeps getting work ffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
If I got control of Hollywood I'd fire erryone and put Ava DuVernay and Oprah in charge of dramas and 'serious' movies, Ryan Coogler and Justin Lin in charge of action and sci-fi movies, and Malcolm Lee and Aziz Ansari in charge of comedies.

No movies get made without their approval.

• Locked thread