Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

"JAQ-ing off"

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Monglo posted:

Even concerning torture: Harris admits that torture is extremely unreliable and should be illegal, I mean how is that not a sound position? His article in defence of torture just demonstrates how we perceive torture in an unreasonable light, much worse that bombings, for example, which isnt right - bombing civilians should be less preferable. And the other point he is making that it is conceivable to concoct a scenario in which torture would be ethical, a scenario that he convincingly portrays.

"Torture is wrong" is not unreasonable, you dipshit. And it still isn't ethical in his own hypothetical, because it cannot actually prevent anything because it cannot provide useful information, therefore there won't be a sufficient end to justify those means.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There is no conceivable scenario where torturing people prevents deaths. It doesn't work as punishment or as a source of information. Why would you bother to expend time and effort concocting some bizzare scenario justifying it?

Like maybe I'm super weird but I don't spend time trying to justify doing things unless I want to do them. Or on the off chance that it's something where I think something being perceived as unjustified causes harm, which really doesn't seem the case with torture because lots of people do that already and it does no good.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jul 20, 2017

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Monglo posted:

The article seems extremely biased. I mean if Sam Harris really said those words in the way its portrayed, don't you think Maajid Nawaz, a Muslim brown person, the podcast guest, would not object to it? It's taken out of context, when Harris asks the question he is expressing a position that he doesn't personally share.
I mean, it's not like I want to push you guys into convincing me that Sam Harris is a racist bigot, I just wanted to see if I missed any legit criticism of his. And I don't really see it.
Even concerning torture: Harris admits that torture is extremely unreliable and should be illegal, I mean how is that not a sound position? His article in defence of torture just demonstrates how we perceive torture in an unreasonable light, much worse that bombings, for example, which isnt right - bombing civilians should be less preferable. And the other point he is making that it is conceivable to concoct a scenario in which torture would be ethical, a scenario that he convincingly portrays.

EDIT: SSNeoman,I understood it that he specifically equates torture of POW to the inevitable collateral damage of hundreds and thousands of innocent civilians which is inevitable in modern warfare. Would you not agree that torturing a single POW is ethical if it spares the civilians? It's a hypothetical scenario, I admit, but does that Rob the question of its merits?

No, it's not ethical to do something horrible to a person to get information that will be literally useless. Action for the sake of action is rarely ethical.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

^^actually read that dude's post instead

Monglo posted:

EDIT: SSNeoman,I understood it that he specifically equates torture of POW to the inevitable collateral damage of hundreds and thousands of innocent civilians which is inevitable in modern warfare. Would you not agree that torturing a single POW is ethical if it spares the civilians? It's a hypothetical scenario, I admit, but does that Rob the question of its merits?

Given how ineffective torture is, and what its outcomes are, no. I would not agree. So yes, the question is extremely ignorant and without merit.

Like dude this isn't even "well in a vacuum..." this is "no this doesn't work ever ever ever don't do this."

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Well, if torture never-ever works or at least is extremely unreliable in producing information, then you're right.
Thanks for pointing that out.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Monglo posted:

Being impossible means it's worthless, yes.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
https://twitter.com/cushbomb/status/887532411399045121

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Spread your wings and fly

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Monglo posted:

Are you talking about Stewart Lee, the British comedian? Yeah, he's great.
I always thought that when alt-righters laugh at insane screeching SJW Regressives it was a strawman. But some people in this thread prove that they actually exist. And on SA of all places!
What's your opinion on Sam Harris - he has been portrayed as a pseudo intellectual often by both sides of the political spectrum. But I dunno, he just seems to be bad at communicating his ideas. I haven't heard him advocate for something that I would find particularly distasteful.

How about profiling, bombing, and torture? I initially believed he was just flirting with those ideas and thinking about those subjects like a philosopher. However, a person can only suggest so many bad ideas before you start to think they personally believe them.

Midig fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jul 20, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

There is no conceivable scenario where torturing people prevents deaths.

Sam Harris is gonna strap a bunch of bombs to himself, walk into a crowded area, grab a person and yell "IF SOMEONE DOESN'T TORTURE THIS PERSON BEFORE I COUNT TO 20 I'M GOING TO SET THESE BOMBS OFF!"

I bet you'll feel so owned when that happens!

Monglo posted:

It's a hypothetical scenario, I admit, but does that Rob the question of its merits?

To illustrate why this reasoning is dumb, consider an example where a person says the following: "If Jewish people really are leading our society towards destruction, then aren't we justified in expelling them?"

It's just a hypothetical, right? So there should be nothing racist about that according to your logic?

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 20, 2017

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Monglo posted:

Well, if torture never-ever works or at least is extremely unreliable in producing information, then you're right.
Thanks for pointing that out.
Torture is only useful in giving you an excuse to imprison or torture other people, because torture makes the tortured person tell you what they think you want to hear. Thus they will finger others if you ask them to, but they have no reason to finger people who actually going to be useful to you or are even guilty of any crime. For an easy example take any of the witch hunts where they tortured people to find other witches. Witches don't exist, but boy howdy you got a lot of tortured people blaming their neighbors of witchcraft to make the torture stop. Torturing someone without trial to find terrorist plots is identical morally to torturing someone to find witches. It gives you completely worthless information and marks you as an evil rear end person.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

https://twitter.com/dril/status/544197494755037185?lang=en

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Some people just are never going to budge if all you do is go at them with "torture is unethical" arguments. Its ineffectiveness is how you hit people who like to pretend that they're being rational. "If it doesn't work then why are we doing it? Maybe you're just an idiot who loves violence for its own sake?"

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Harris Is an insufferable shithead because he, more than anyone else that I can recall off the top of my head consistently makes awful, bigoted opinions, and every time he's called out on it, he insists people are "misunderstanding" what he's saying. Then he attempts to "clarify" his position by making it sound a bit less horrible, yet somehow it still sounds just as lovely as what he was initially saying.

I honestly never liked him that much, even before right-wing atheism became trendy.

Groovelord Neato posted:

that was chris hitchens.

And he may have still wanted to bomb muslims afterwards, but at least you could give him credit for backing off supporting water boarding after that little experiment.
'

Monglo posted:

The article seems extremely biased. I mean if Sam Harris really said those words in the way its portrayed, don't you think Maajid Nawaz, a Muslim brown person, the podcast guest, would not object to it?

Um, not to profile or anything (LOL irony, right??), but that dude has been on the David Rubin program and they had a grand ole time agreeing with each other, and if you know that Rubin seems to have this curious habit of inviting almost entirely right-wing people on his show, well, then his muslin credentials don't really help much.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Mr Interweb posted:

This Bearing guy seems like a class-A shitheel as well. He was "debating" some lefty youtuber, and was the most rude, douchey and foul dipshit I've seen from the Rationals.

I think this is a good example of how much of a shithead Bearing is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiIXqK0Hvuc

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Monglo posted:

His article in defence of torture just demonstrates how we perceive torture in an unreasonable light, much worse that bombings, for example, which isnt right - bombing civilians should be less preferable.
Maybe we shouldn't be doing either.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

I liked it when he made jokes about a blind autistic kid raping his mother because he cant understand right and wrong due to being autistic!

yeah that was funny as gently caress

edit: my favourite comedian is noted libertarian doug stanhope, a man who has a 10 minute but about raping a black American football player and getting aids and it's the funniest thing I've ever heard

Whorelord fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jul 20, 2017

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

On the topic of Maajid Nawaz, Carlgon did an interview with him on youtube a few weeks ago. I didn't watch it because Carlgon but I wonder if Nawaz knows about Sargon/has any idea of his content. I'd imagine so if he consented to an interview, which I find very unsettling given Nawaz is an MP.

Even for a Lib Dem, that's a pretty poor show.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

PiCroft posted:

On the topic of Maajid Nawaz, Carlgon did an interview with him on youtube a few weeks ago. I didn't watch it because Carlgon but I wonder if Nawaz knows about Sargon/has any idea of his content. I'd imagine so if he consented to an interview, which I find very unsettling given Nawaz is an MP.

Even for a Lib Dem, that's a pretty poor show.

Nawaz is not an MP. He was a candidate in 2015 but as with most Lib Dem candidates, he lost. Badly. Got under 6% of the vote. (Which actually means he did better than a large number of his fellow Lib Dem candidates, 340 of whom got less than 5%.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

forkboy84 posted:

Nawaz is not an MP. He was a candidate in 2015 but as with most Lib Dem candidates, he lost. Badly. Got under 6% of the vote. (Which actually means he did better than a large number of his fellow Lib Dem candidates, 340 of whom got less than 5%.

Oh really? Shows how much attention I pay. I mainly know him from his association with Quilliam and Quilliam from Douglas Murray.

CANON
Jun 7, 2007

Monglo posted:

so quick to throw around hurtful insults like racist?

Can we all take a minute to acknowledge the real victims of the culture war?

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
I've definitely noticed that a person can say a lot of pretty racist poo poo for a long time, but when it's pointed out as being racist, the conversation devolves into a tedious, pedantic rhetorical marathon where what's suddenly the most important thing to discuss is the gall of pointing out that the racist poo poo being said was racist.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes because you see you calling me a racist is very hurtful to my identity as a non racist and you need to respect the way I choose to identify you beta cuck.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

murphyslaw posted:

I've definitely noticed that a person can say a lot of pretty racist poo poo for a long time, but when it's pointed out as being racist, the conversation devolves into a tedious, pedantic rhetorical marathon where what's suddenly the most important thing to discuss is the gall of pointing out that the racist poo poo being said was racist.

Didn't you catch the memo? Being called racist is the equivalent for whites to being called the n-word if you're a black person. It's a poo poo opinion, but lots of the lower class has this opinion so it almost always gets brought up.

It's partially caused by the fact that actively being racist costs you jobs and social contacts to a small extent now, while being the target of racism now involves a little less economic and social ostracism. I'd call it progress, but good luck convincing fragile underclass whites of it.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net
Have you guys seen any of Suit Yourself's videos? He seems to be an enormous jackass. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_Y0WX3bjz4

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

fallenturtle posted:

Have you guys seen any of Suit Yourself's videos? He seems to be an enormous jackass. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_Y0WX3bjz4

The Taiwan joke level of video animation is certainly a gimmick I haven't seen before.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Kibayasu posted:

The Taiwan joke level of video animation is certainly a gimmick I haven't seen before.

He really has a chip on his shoulder for who he calls "transtrenders" which is what he calls transgender people he doesn't think are really transgender.

Edit: I learned a new word... Suit is apparently a "truscum".

fallenturtle fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jul 20, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What, I wonder, is the motivation for pretending to be transgender.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

rkajdi posted:

Didn't you catch the memo? Being called racist is the equivalent for whites to being called the n-word if you're a black person. It's a poo poo opinion, but lots of the lower class has this opinion so it almost always gets brought up.

It's partially caused by the fact that actively being racist costs you jobs and social contacts to a small extent now, while being the target of racism now involves a little less economic and social ostracism. I'd call it progress, but good luck convincing fragile underclass whites of it.

:chloe:

Plenty of middle class people are also racist. Trump's supporters were mostly middle class whites. I understand that there are some dumb redneck or whatever, but turning that into some greater "poor people are racist and bad" point is absurd.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Yeah, "transtrender" is a word used to poo poo on non-binary and genderqueer folk by other folk that police trans people for not being "trans" enough by not living up to said individuals standard of being out/transitioning/gender expression.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

I look forward to the day when we just throw handfuls of scrabble tiles at each other, screaming like howler monkeys.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ytlaya posted:

Plenty of middle class people are also racist. Trump's supporters were mostly middle class whites. I understand that there are some dumb redneck or whatever, but turning that into some greater "poor people are racist and bad" point is absurd.
Hell, who do you think encourages lower working class people to be racist? They themselves don't benefit from it, other ethnicities certainly don't benefit from it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

cdc released a report that more than half of all murders of women are committed by an intimate partner (current or ex).

but it's the feminists we must worry about.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Groovelord Neato posted:

cdc released a report that more than half of all murders of women are committed by an intimate partner (current or ex).

Christ. I knew the proportion was high, but I didn't think it was THAT high. I wonder if there's a correlation between that rate and availability of domestic abuse support in an area (i.e. more support = fewer intimate partner murders).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Smash the patriarchy before it murders you, tbh.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

jfood posted:

I look forward to the day when we just throw handfuls of scrabble tiles at each other, screaming like howler monkeys.

I'm pretty sure you're just describing every alt-right video about "sjws."

Groovelord Neato posted:

Well that's loving depressing. Link here for the curious or skeptical.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

business hammocks posted:

Some of them are so stupid and self-defeating that they're fun to watch. Carl is just poo poo for the most part. Also he's a 40-year-old high-school dropout if you haven't heard.

FWIW, Carl claims he went to two years of Uni before dropping out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07qPpmsY7NM&t=3558s

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That shouldn't really be possible without finishing school, you need a post-school qualification to qualify for university so unless he went to a university building to do a non-university qualification I don't see how he could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

"should white identity exist" hooo boy that sounds like a doozy of a vidya.

• Locked thread