Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

This is genre disease which we are only just now putting to rest with stuff like Doom, Titanfall, and Wolfenstein.

Really hope we see more games like this. Not a chance we'll get Titanfall 3 but Wolfenstein New Colossus looks cool and I hope and pray we get more DOOM

Also:

Manatee Cannon posted:

didn't even know there was a demo so thanks for the heads up. will have to check that out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Really hope we see more games like this. Not a chance we'll get Titanfall 3 but Wolfenstein New Colossus looks cool and I hope and pray we get more DOOM

My man, Titanfall 3 is probably happening.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Played a couple of hours of the first Uncharted, not a huge fan so far. It feels a bit dated gameplay-wise (extremely simple cover shooting sprinkled with some forgettable platforming), and the corny plot hasn't really helped either.

(I'll bet that the Sully dude is still alive. His death wasn't very convincing lol)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's extremely dated and if it ever gets to be too much feel free to switch to Uncharted 2 which is night-and-day better.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Digirat posted:

That's not good. One of the best features of the PC version is how absurdly well optimized it is in spite of having better graphics than most modern AAA games. My 970 with otherwise 5-year-old hardware runs it nearly maxed at a perfect 60 FPS. Seems like the console versions should be able to do better than 30 at least?

Just confusing because normally it's the PC versions that have optimization issues.

Felt like a real lazy port which is baffling because I remember the first one running smooth. I have no idea what they did for so long for the second to be the way it is on console. The coop was really loving bad too with how slow it was.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Yeah, Uncharted 1 is a real odd duck in the series now. They were still trying to find the 'voice' for the series, and it was also at the time that Gears of War was blowing people's minds, so there's entirely too much cover shooting in that game, and not enough cool adventuring and banter. Also, the ending section is dumb. You could safely skip to Uncharted 2 without too much pain. That game really set the tone for the series, and is still great fun today.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Titanfall is getting four-player horde co-op in the next DLC/update a week from now, if you're feeling like putting the game on again.

I really liked (watching) the single-player campaign, it was kind of weird how they billed it as a multiplayer game when the campaign was absolutely fantastic in its own right.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Policenaut posted:

Did anyone else try out that demo for The Surge? It came out this week.

I'm a huge fan of Souls-style games and was really interested in The Surge after watching some streamers and such play it, but the price and the pedigree of coming from the people behind Lords of the Fallen took me aback so having a demo for it was a really good call. It feels pretty good! I like a lot of the mechanics going on in this game so far, with having limb-based damage to rip off parts from your enemies and research how to build them yourself for example. There's a bunch of little things I like, such as picking up objects doesn't bring up a little prompt you have to click away or the dodge system having a duck/hop system mapped to the stick like God Hand (unfortunately the demo lacked any instances where it's needed) but yeah! I'll definitely pick this up when it goes on sale, still way too expensive up here but it's something I really want to play through.

I was enjoying The Surge for a while, until about 2/3rds into the game literally every human enemy starts to interrupt your combo's. Imagine if everytime you attacked an enemy they did an interrupt where you lost life. Maybe it was an issue with the weapon I was using, maybe they expect you to only defeat enemies by countering/riposte, or maybe it was user error on my end and there was something really obvious I was missing about combat 2/3rds into the game, but it made the game very tedious and I didn't finish it.

It was pretty great up until that point though.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Smol posted:

Played a couple of hours of the first Uncharted, not a huge fan so far. It feels a bit dated gameplay-wise (extremely simple cover shooting sprinkled with some forgettable platforming), and the corny plot hasn't really helped either.

(I'll bet that the Sully dude is still alive. His death wasn't very convincing lol)

Try to stay mobile. Run and gun and finish guys off with melee. It's kind of a mistake to stay in cover and plink away, and there are some spots where you end up with more waves of enemies if you don't move forward. But once you get halfway through, you probably know enough about the characters and tone to skip to the second one which is better in every way.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
As long as it's not like a 20-30 hour game, I think I'll manage.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

There's an option in the menu to always keep a selected persona as your primary equipped one, you should enable that. The most dangerous time is when you get ambushed and you have a weak persona equipped, so if you keep a no-weakness one in your primary that will help things

75 hours and I never turned this on. RIP all my attack master personas

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Holy poo poo I got the surge demo and I think it's the first game I've ever played where you're in a wheelchair. The opening is really good!

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

katkillad2 posted:

Imagine if everytime you attacked an enemy they did an interrupt where you lost life.

so not unlike dark souls 3, got it

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

veni veni veni posted:

Can you elaborate? Is it possible I could have been using my TV remote the whole time?
There's a system called HDMI-CEC which allows TVs to control devices connected by HDMI through their remote controls and stuff, though often in a limited way (usually just four directions, accept, cancel, and maybe one other function). It needs to be enabled on the PS4 side and the TV side. The confusing part though is that TV manufacturers all call it different things like a bunch of jerks, so I can't tell you what the option is called on yours.

edit: oh yeah and also have the PS4 turn on the TV or vice versa, but across the different TVs I have owned that part is handled in some weird rear end ways so I usually turn it off.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 19, 2017

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I think because I have a Sony x900 it allows me to control PS4 with harmony

acksplode
May 17, 2004

HDMI-CEC is cool except for when I turn my PS4 on from rest and it's already in a game and I have to go get my DS4 anyway just so I can hit the PS button and get to he dashboard :|

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I have an Until Dawn question: how did the wendigo that decapitates Chris or Ashley lock the trapdoor behind itself? You have to open it by sliding a bolt across.

Loved the game though, enough to platinum it. If you're thinking of doing the same, just know that even though you can use the chapter select you can't skip or fast forward dialogue you've already heard, which is a bit tedious.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Really hope we see more games like this. Not a chance we'll get Titanfall 3

I don't think this is true. it's a bit up in the air right now but EA has to know that their extremely well received game sold poorly because of their own bad marketing decisions and lack of brand recognition.

Then again this is the company that sandwiched TF2 in between BF1 and COD. And also threatened to kill Dead Space if we didn't buy enough copies, then did actually kill it when it didn't sell enough.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I really like some of the the surge's takes on dark souls mechanics but I got to the 3rd area and just kind of lost steam.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The Undertale preorder theme is really nice. Probably because it's so minimalist.

Still doesn't beat Corn Love.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

My man, Titanfall 3 is probably happening.

It's not matter of it happening it's a matter of figuring out when the biggest hype train aaa cod is going to be released and then release tf3 three days later.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Is For Honor dead/trash?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Is For Honor dead/trash?

who cares/because yeah

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Oh OK thanks. I'll play Chivalry instead because it's free.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I bought for honor and ghost recon and haven't played either yet although I heard ghost recon is decent fun.

Currently going through yakuza but twenty hour son getting a little bored. It's very repetitive but the story is cool. I just hit chapter 8 which I guess is only half way through :(

Have FF12 on my plate also. So many drat games.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Oh OK thanks. I'll play Chivalry instead because it's free.

You will have more fun. The goon consensus was "for Honor 2 might be pretty good" its half baked, a game where combat is built around 1v1 then the main mode is not 1v1 and it doesn't work. Surprise!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The End posted:

Yeah, Uncharted 1 is a real odd duck in the series now. They were still trying to find the 'voice' for the series, and it was also at the time that Gears of War was blowing people's minds, so there's entirely too much cover shooting in that game, and not enough cool adventuring and banter. Also, the ending section is dumb. You could safely skip to Uncharted 2 without too much pain. That game really set the tone for the series, and is still great fun today.

It's less that the game was 'trying to find its voice' and more that Naughty Dog was trying to find theirs after entering a second wave (the Evan Wells period) and the technical hurdles of developing it caused a massive exodus of talent from the dev team (30-50 people quit over the course of a few months) and nearly sunk the studio. The very idea that a finished product emerged, much less a blueprint for Sony's flagship 'console-saving' series, is a testament to how solid the game is with respect to its release date. Remember, it predates Naughty Dog's prestige years, and people that year generally referred to it as a sleeper hit, if anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6sXkjUkJQE

Most of the game isn't designed as a cover-based shooter like Killswitch and Gears, but rather a seat-of-your-pants improv action game starring a guy who 'never thinks things through'. If you play the series as a cover based shooter you are playing counter-intuitively.

UC1 is a good game, a good prep course for the rest of the series, and a fascinating case of sanity-crushing development woes. I can't imagine fully appreciating the rest of the series without playing UC1.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

You should play it. On easy to get through it and never look back. Explanations for development woes explains things, but doesn't make them magically good. And while I dont think UC1 is BAD, the rest of the series is so good you should just get through it quick.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bombadilillo posted:

You should play it. On easy to get through it and never look back. Explanations for development woes explains things, but doesn't make them magically good. And while I dont think UC1 is BAD, the rest of the series is so good you should just get through it quick.

Exactly, it will make you appreciate the technical wizardry of Naughty Dog's other games even more.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I just found out about the new game from the markers of until dawn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns8m0eYxKBQ

This looks like extremely my poo poo

acksplode
May 17, 2004

That looks awesome, I would've loved if Until Dawn was truly multiplayer. Also it's cool to see a concept that totally flopped in the 90's work out when it has the right technology in place to support it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

At least with the first PlayLink game (it's you) the PlayLink tech is a pain in the rear end to work with, though. Everyone has to download a proprietary app to their phone, you all have to log on the same wifi network, and then you have to enter a 12-character random password to enter the same game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

At least with the first PlayLink game (it's you) the PlayLink tech is a pain in the rear end to work with, though. Everyone has to download a proprietary app to their phone, you all have to log on the same wifi network, and then you have to enter a 12-character random password to enter the same game.

That's a pretty simple and user-friendly way to make sure they all connect to the same PS4 in places there might be several :shrug:.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

You'd be stuck downloading an app no matter how you synced your phone with the game, and tbh that doesn't sound much worse than connecting to a secured Chromecast. 12 chars is pretty excessive though.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

acksplode posted:

You'd be stuck downloading an app no matter how you synced your phone with the game, and tbh that doesn't sound much worse than connecting to a secured Chromecast. 12 chars is pretty excessive though.

Jackbox is proof this isn't true. Browser based, 4 characters.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Empress Brosephine posted:

I bought for honor and ghost recon and haven't played either yet although I heard ghost recon is decent fun.

Currently going through yakuza but twenty hour son getting a little bored. It's very repetitive but the story is cool. I just hit chapter 8 which I guess is only half way through :(

Have FF12 on my plate also. So many drat games.

Get to ch 11 before stopping its where the story starts GOING PLACES

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

acksplode posted:

That looks awesome, I would've loved if Until Dawn was truly multiplayer. Also it's cool to see a concept that totally flopped in the 90's work out when it has the right technology in place to support it.

I thought for sure I was clicking on this.

e ah but you're talking just about the voting bit, so I guess... Mario party?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Unreal_One posted:

4 chars is hilariously insecure though.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Do you really need to worry about people hacking into your game of Quiplash?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Unreal_One posted:

Jackbox's web apps are bespoke controllers for a few quiz games, PlayLink is Sony's full-featured controller that uses your phone's hardware features. And it's a platform for third parties, so performance and flexibility are really important. Makes sense that they went with a native app.

Policenaut posted:

Do you really need to worry about people hacking into your game of Quiplash?

I guess there's griefing potential, but you'd think the requirement to be on the same wifi network would be enough.