Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Sickening posted:

Well the math of it being in the your opening hand with 2 in the maindeck doesn't seem great. It also seems like a liability if its stuck in your hand and your trying to get 0 for bridge.

I get that it was a hedge for the meta and all that but dead cards on game 1 just always feels bad.

Lantern is pretty good at emptying its hand even with a single dead card, and again it doesn't really care about card disadvantage since that's not how it wins games. To put it differently - if you're in a matchup where Leyline is a dead card, you're probably favored already and having two blanks to mill away / pitch to Brutality doesn't hurt you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Voyager I posted:

Lantern is pretty good at emptying its hand even with a single dead card, and again it doesn't really care about card disadvantage since that's not how it wins games. To put it differently - if you're in a matchup where Leyline is a dead card, you're probably favored already and having two blanks to mill away / pitch to Brutality doesn't hurt you.

If brutality is your only pitch its still stuck in your hand a lot. I have a million reps with lantern. Maindeck leylines isn't a new thing and hasn't been for more than a year.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Sickening posted:

If brutality is your only pitch its still stuck in your hand a lot. I have a million reps with lantern. Maindeck leylines isn't a new thing and hasn't been for more than a year.

This.

Leyline is an absolutely viable choice, but you want 4 or none. 3 is nearly justifiable.
If you value the effect enough to MD it, you need to have enough that it comes down.

There are plenty other options against Burn.
Mine personally is Sun Droplet

For Reference, here is the list I was running most recently.
I plan on looking out a Seal of Primordium or 2 to pop into the SB, as you can play it without a target, for Bridge reasons, and it can pop an opposing Blood Moon or Stony Silence when either of those cards has you locked out of useful coloured mana:

2x Spellskite
4x Lantern
4x Codex Shredder
4x Ghoulcallers Bell
4x Ensnaring Bridge
3x Pithing Needle
1x Pyxis of Pandemonium

4x Ancient Stirrings
3x Inquisition of Kozilek
2x Collective Brutality
2x Thoughtseize
2x Sugrical Extraction
2x Abrupt Decay
1x Pyroclasm
1x Ghirapur Aether Grid

3x Mox Opal
4x Glimmervoid
2x Ghost Quarter
2x Academy Ruins
2x Blooming Marsh
2x Llanowar Wastes
2x City of Brass (To be swapped with Spire of Industry when I bother to get them)
1x Sulfurous Springs
1x Copperline Gorge
1x Inventors Fair
1x Sea Gate Wreckage (Not sure I need this with Fair in the deck)

//SIDEBOARD
2x Sun Droplet
2x Torpor Orb
2x Ancient Grudge
2x Anger of the Gods (Added when Dredge was everywhere, this is first cut when I get leylines)
1x Pyroclasm
1x Collective Brutality
1x Ghost Quarter
1x Surgical Extraction
1x Phyrexian Revoker
1x Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver
1x Pyxis of Pandemonium

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Its more against decks with 6-8 maindeck hand distruption turning into dead cards. The damage you nullify is a great bonus.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

Voyager I posted:

Maindeck Leyline in Lantern seems fine. There are some matchups where it doesn't matter, but Lantern isn't trying to play fair magic so card disadvantage isn't the kind of problem it normally is and it gives you a chance to free win G1 in matchups that are otherwise godawful. Even if you don't want to maindeck them, they are absolutely essential somewhere in the 75 - they are basically your gameplan against stuff like Burn.

What do you mean when you say lantern isn't playing fair magic?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Carl Killer Miller posted:

Lantern isn't trying to play a conventional game of magic where they control the board or grind the enemy out of resources. Instead they're trying to lock the opponent out of the game with Ensnaring Bridge, with the rest of their deck being dedicated to finding and protecting that card. Note that in this case 'unfair' doesn't mean 'cheating' or that the deck shouldn't exist - it's simply how the term is used in this context.

Fair decks are games that try to play traditional Magic (think Jund, control, or regular company decks). They don't typically have any gimmick that will score them a free win. Unfair decks attack from a different axis and will often try to ignore entire dimensions of the game. This can mean combo decks like Ad Nauseum that will try to never interact with the board, prison decks that try to win by rushing out a gimmick (Lantern falls under this category, or whatever flavor of Blood Moon / T1 Chalice deck is in vogue at the time), and other decks that mostly try to sidestep whatever their opponent is doing.

I think some people will tend to categorize the reallllly fast or combo-ish aggressive decks like Affinity or Infect of yore as unfair because they simply do their thing so fast that a normal deck won't be able to keep up, though I'm not really an expert on this kind of stuff.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 19, 2017

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Carl Killer Miller posted:

Voyager gave a good explanation, but I already wrote this, so...

A deck is "fair" if it interacts with the battlefield and tries to trade it's cards with the opponent. A card like Goyf or Death's Shadow is considered 'fair' because it attacks and blocks and dies to removal. Simililarly, classic control plays fair, as it tries to neutralize it's opponent's permanents with removal and counterspell. What the opponent is doing is very important to control.
On the other hand, Storm, the classical 'unfair' deck, does not do this - it simply ignores the opponent, digs for it's combo, and tries to win on the spot. Likewise, Lantern doesn't interact with it's opponent's creatures; it simply locks them out of the game, then wins at it's leisure.

The fact that Death's Shadow (the deck) is much better than Storm has nothing to do with 'fairness' or 'unfairness'.

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 19, 2017

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Voyager I posted:

I think some people will tend to categorize the reallllly fast or combo-ish aggressive decks like Affinity or Infect of yore as unfair because they simply do their thing so fast that a normal deck won't be able to keep up, though I'm not really an expert on this kind of stuff.

I've never heard Affinity described as unfair based on these interpretations (which I think are correct). Infect is kind of unfair because it pseudo-changes the rules of the game; the infect player starts at 20 life while their opponent starts at 10.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

I've never heard Affinity described as unfair based on these interpretations (which I think are correct). Infect is kind of unfair because it pseudo-changes the rules of the game; the infect player starts at 20 life while their opponent starts at 10.

I've heard affinity be described as "unfair," although that might have been the old standard versions with Disciple of the Vault and Skullclamp. The standard version of the deck had some serious combo-kill potential; it had plenty of draws that could ignore the attack step, and whatever the opponent was doing.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Lantern is degenerate magic that I love. What are the chances Opal sees a future ban?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

80s James Hetfield posted:

Lantern is degenerate magic that I love. What are the chances Opal sees a future ban?

About 60%. There will be a point where they finally print something so dumb, they'll figure it is easier to kill Affinity and Cheerios decks than try to ban the new jank.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/692085#paper

So whats up with b/w 8 rack without the racks? Has anyone actually sleeved this up?

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program

Sickening posted:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/692085#paper

So whats up with b/w 8 rack without the racks? Has anyone actually sleeved this up?

Got 12 at GP Vegas. Smallpox in particular is pretty good against shadow. I still mess around with pox loam, which has gotten a little better but is still insane to play

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

80s James Hetfield posted:

If it's banned it will be because of something Affinity did, not because of Lantern. I think a big reason why Wizards keeps Affinity at its current power level is that for as hellishly fast as the deck can be at times, there's also a ton of available SB hate. But then you run into that old complaint about Modern where the winner of games 2 and 3 is whoever drew their SB cards sooner (do people still say this about Modern?)

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Sleeved up that mono-u Mill deck someone posted like 15 pages ago for Standard tonight. Dumpstered sultan energy and grixis control, got rolled by Mardu vehicles, split the finals.

Got to live the dream of double Fraying Sanity into Started Awake. Please mill 52 :flashfap:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

So there's now black zombies, white monument, blue mill, and even RDW and that weird Reservoir storm are sort of real decks.

Heck your duals. :iia:

Listerine Hangover
Aug 5, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Archenteron posted:

Got to live the dream of double Fraying Sanity into Started Awake. Please mill 52 :flashfap:

Better feeling than Marveling an Emrakul and producing infinite cats combined. The biggest mill I've gotten so far was in the 200s due to Commit // Memory being popped twice in a mirror matchup. I lost the match from time unfortunately

Mono U mill isnt tier 1 by any means but its good enough to bring to fmn (excuse me, standard showdown) I played in two leagues last night and did alrightish. Im going to try again with Horribly Awry and Essence Scatter mainboard, see if that helps.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Long shot here:

Does anyone have recommendations for a mail forwarding service that I can use for MKM to the USA? Or is anyone in the EU willing to act as a shipping proxy?

One card I want to pick up is about a $200 difference and I can wait on slower shipping. So many services on google seem super sketch so I'd like to get a recommendation or a real person.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Walked posted:

Long shot here:

Does anyone have recommendations for a mail forwarding service that I can use for MKM to the USA? Or is anyone in the EU willing to act as a shipping proxy?

One card I want to pick up is about a $200 difference and I can wait on slower shipping. So many services on google seem super sketch so I'd like to get a recommendation or a real person.

There's a bunch of people on the Facebook foreign mtg group that will do it if nothing else.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Walked posted:

Long shot here:

Check your PMs! :argh:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

I also would probably want some stuff from MKM if anyone can hook me up.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

AlternateNu posted:

About 60%. There will be a point where they finally print something so dumb, they'll figure it is easier to kill Affinity and Cheerios decks than try to ban the new jank.

Does anyone even play Sram/PSPaladin Cheerios anymore?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/organized-play/2018-grand-prix-details-2017-07-20

Oh word, no Vancouver GP?

Edit: Toronto gets two GP's?

Edit 2: Canada gets 3 GP's in total, 2 of which are in Toronto in the first half of the year? gently caress this dead gay game.

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 20, 2017

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The dallas GP is limited. What a loving clownshow.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Mezzanon posted:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/organized-play/2018-grand-prix-details-2017-07-20

Edit 2: Canada gets 3 GP's in total, 2 of which are in Toronto in the first half of the year? gently caress this dead gay game.

Double main event Legacy/Standard in Seattle is super sweet.

It actually being in Seattle for a change is friggin' awesome, nobody wants to drive to Tacoma.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I want Detroit to host, that's two years in a row without one now. gently caress Columbus.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

London Limited in January,
Double main event Legacy/Standard in Birmingham in May,
And a yet to be announced GP in England in the back half of the year
(4 England GP's, still none in Scotland)

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Oh boy. Standard in Pittsburgh and limited in Columbus. Looks like it'll be 4 years running without playing any magic at a a GP I go to.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Cactrot posted:

It actually being in Seattle for a change is friggin' awesome, nobody wants to drive to Tacoma.

Yeah I'm definitely gonna play and lose at legacy in Seattle.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Cactrot posted:

I may actually go and hang out. Rope some people into Cubing.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I'll be happy to shepherd goons around town after we all scrub out. I know some good spots.

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..

Sickening posted:

The dallas GP is limited. What a loving clownshow.

Both Dallas and Houston are limited. Here's hoping we somehow get a third GP in the back half that's constructed... Although Texas usually only gets two GPs a year. 🙁

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Ugh why couldn't one of the Birmingham GPs be modern

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Wurzag posted:

Ugh why couldn't one of the Birmingham GPs be modern

My exact thoughts looking at the list for anything remotely drivable from NC. I'm sure WotC tells them how many standard and limited events they have to hold but it still sucks.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Santa Clara is team triples and my friends are trying to rope me into playing Standard :v:

I wish it was Limited

E: I still don't understand why NA gets 31, EU gets 16, APAC gets 10, SA gets 3, and the rest of the world gets 0, but that's normal at this point

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

What the split for N/A Gp's. Looks like a ton of limited there.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I keep thinking eventually I'll be able to make it to a Vancouver GP, so I guess not this year unless it shows up in the back half.

I'd go down to Seattle, but gently caress travelling to the US right now (sorry, not sorry).

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
No GP in Chicago since 2014. :(

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Mezzanon posted:

Modern GP in my backyard - I love this change!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Bugsy posted:

No GP in Chicago since 2014. :(

Come on down to Indy! (don't)