Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Yeah, willful ignorance combined with extreme selfishness and spite. The thought of paying for some stranger's hospital bill enrages them, especially if they make the lazy assumption that most medical expenses are due to individual irresponsibility.

But there are way less people who say they don't want to provide coverage. Many more just can't understand the implications of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

jivjov posted:

Uhhhh, so how does he want the roads paid for? Good will and free asphalt?

make mexico pay for it

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Yeah, willful ignorance combined with extreme selfishness and spite. The thought of paying for some stranger's hospital bill enrages them, especially if they make the lazy assumption that most medical expenses are due to individual irresponsibility.

I've seen people who benefit from the ACA, whether they realize it or not, bitch about it. My cousin comes to mind: yeah, I get that your insurance is expensive and it pisses you off, but what kind of coverage do you think you're going to get for your autistic son when you're self-employed, the mandate is repealed, and pre-existing conditions cost a mint to insure? He was also wont to blame Obama for, among other things, Florida state regulations that bothered him. I'm just an ignorant Canadian, but would I be correct in saying that the President is not responsible for state-level regulations :v:?

His wife was surprised that Trump was anti-abortion, among other things. Some people are just really, really fuckin' ignorant. They don't pay attention to things, and they fail to reason with the information they do have to draw sensible conclusions.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Part of me is disappointed the republican health care bill is dying...I was hoping if it passed, the loving ghouls that voted for it would get removed from office, and the pendulum swings back the other way and single payer pushes through. But if the bill dies, I think the outrage will die and most republicans will hold their seats. Am I wrong? :/

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Part of me is disappointed the republican health care bill is dying...I was hoping if it passed, the loving ghouls that voted for it would get removed from office, and the pendulum swings back the other way and single payer pushes through. But if the bill dies, I think the outrage will die and most republicans will hold their seats. Am I wrong? :/

I sympathize. Part of me thinks that the memory of a pre-Civil Rights, pre-New Deal America is so distant that the American people take their welfare for granted and will never get more liberal until people really suffer under a GOP/Libertarian paradise.

At the same time, letting people die from lack of medical care due to lack of insurance is wrong and we should fight it, so I'm glad when the GOP fails (even if it feels like they'll just end up winning in the long term).

You can still push for single payer as long as you're prepared for a long fight.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

It's not dead. I mean, it's on life support and would certainly have hit its lifetime maximum if Obamacare hadn't done away with those, but it's not dead. They're really going all out to try to get something through.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

It's not dead. I mean, it's on life support and would certainly have hit its lifetime maximum if Obamacare hadn't done away with those, but it's not dead. They're really going all out to try to get something through.

This is my fear that's been growing a bit since yesterday. What if this is the house scenario all over again? We all relax, think it's over, but, then, they blitzkreig us out of nowhere and get it through when people aren't prepared to yell at their politcians? What if they turn one of them when our backs are turned? What if they wait till the focus shifts then do it? What if it's all a clam before they vote it in on the voting day? That they decided it best to just keep quiet this time, play dead, and then vote their evil conscience when it comes to the floor?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

You are wrong because this way tens of thousands of people won't die.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

you can relax when the reconciliation instructions expire at the end of September and maybe not even then

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

You already can just not go to the doctor/hospital, so people can't actually opt out of purchasing under your model, which is the only reason people want to be able to opt out of benefits. Which is fine, if that's what you are in favor of, but you need to own that and stop pretending that people can opt out.
Also, understand that a lot of people have legitimate concerns about going to a mandatory "everyone on Medicare/the VA" model.

Everyone eventually goes on Medicare, everyone, and it's the most popular program in America.

It's interesting that no one bothers to argue against single payer on cost, or coverage, or outcome, or any other substantial metric because it is indisputably superior in every way. So the only argument deployed is "but what if I don't like it anyway."

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Brony Car posted:

At the same time, letting people die from lack of medical care due to lack of insurance is wrong and we should fight it, so I'm glad when the GOP fails (even if it feels like they'll just end up winning in the long term).

Yeah, in the end I agree with this and I do hope it dies, but playing devil's advocate, let's say it pulls through reconciliation...

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

You are wrong because this way tens of thousands of people won't die.

In the short run, but are there numbers for how many people die without single payer vs GOP healthcare?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

VitalSigns posted:

Everyone eventually goes on Medicare, everyone, and it's the most popular program in America.

It's interesting that no one bothers to argue against single payer on cost, or coverage, or outcome, or any other substantial metric because it is indisputably superior in every way. So the only argument deployed is "but what if I don't like it anyway."

And in Canada, for the most part, the same can be said. There's a vanishingly small portion of people who would do away with public healthcare -- the "extreme right" position in Canada is "what if we allowed some private doctors/hospitals?" Like, the only real point of debate is "should rich people be able to purchase healthcare privately?" and I've seen no proposal for US healthcare that would in any way forbid that.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
McCain's got a brain tumor

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

jivjov posted:

That explains the Comey hearing.

Seriously, though, that's not good. I don't care for him as a politician, but no one "deserves" a brain tumor.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Lifestyle intervention is, uh, super important though on both an individual level and on a public health level. Personal responsibility does play a large role in your health.

jivjov posted:

This is deeply concerning, if true.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I am deeply disturbed at how happy I am that McCain is going to finally die. It is very concerning.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

The Phlegmatist posted:

This is deeply concerning, if true.

Source (one of many)

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

You are wrong. Accelerationism never works. Most likely we'd lose Obamacare, get no single payer, and *some* republicans would lose their seats. Outrage is never going to push through single payer. Life simply doesn't work that way. Moving the Overton window to the right never "wakes people up" - it simply makes left wing solutions even more unthinkable.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

I am deeply disturbed at how happy I am that McCain is going to finally die. It is very concerning.

McCain has been one of the better republican critics of trump and right now only republicans matter.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

asdf32 posted:

McCain has been one of the better republican critics of trump and right now only republicans matter.

McCain voted to confirm every single one of Trump's appointments and has also voted lockstep with his proposed legislation.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

asdf32 posted:

Critics mean nothing. McCain has voted for trump's agenda all the way through. He's as bad an enabler as any of them and he's also one of the biggest voices calling for war with Iran. My only hope is he dies sometime after the reconciliation instructions expire so they can't appoint a replacement in time to force this poo poo through.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

asdf32 posted:

in the spirit of his criticisms of trump, I am Deeply Concerned about his brain cancer, but will still vote for it killing him painfully

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Ze Pollack posted:

in the spirit of his criticisms of trump, I am Deeply Concerned about his brain cancer, but will still vote for it killing him painfully

He is also the one that gave the Piss Tape Dossier to the FBI.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

McCain voted to confirm every single one of Trump's appointments and has also voted lockstep with his proposed legislation.

First forget appointments, that's the last battle worth fighting. Second such is life that what I said is literally true. McCain was a better than average republican and his death isn't actually good.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Nobody's death from brain cancer is good, you grognards. Jesus.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I'm sad that man is mortal.

If only McCain could live eternally, forever voting to kill the poor

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!

KillHour posted:

Nobody's death from brain cancer is good, you grognards. Jesus.

https://twitter.com/jessica_roy/sta...2970%23lastpost

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yes John McCain is a piece of poo poo, no, being a piece of poo poo should not entitle him to a slow and agonizing death.

I don't have the emotional energy to spend actually feeling sorry for McCain, but gently caress off if you want to be the sort of person who cheers human suffering just because it happens to the right person.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Excuse me, cheering for people to die of illness and injury is only okay when you do it in a polite respectable white collar way, by wearing a suit and passing legislation to kill all the people you can, millions and millions of them, for profit.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yes John McCain is a piece of poo poo, no, being a piece of poo poo should not entitle him to a slow and agonizing death.

I don't have the emotional energy to spend actually feeling sorry for McCain, but gently caress off if you want to be the sort of person who cheers human suffering just because it happens to the right person.

Maybe he should move!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

Excuse me, cheering for people to die of illness and injury is only okay when you do it in a polite respectable white collar way, by wearing a suit and passing legislation to kill all the people you can, millions and millions of them, for profit.

Actually that is lovely too

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I will be glad when McCain ceases to be of any political consequence, because he's a man in a position of power with poo poo opinions who is actively promoting the deterioration of the United States and its citizens. I will not, however, take any particular pleasure in his illness or death beyond that, because he's fundamentally a human being, and I've come to believe it's simply not right to take pleasure in another's illness or death, no matter what they've done.

This is no different than when a bunch of ghoulish cocksuckers were dancing on Calle Ocho when Castro died. Yeah, he did a lot of bad poo poo, but, as with McCain, I believe he did what he thought was right. Though I believe both of them were wrong and wrought terrible harm upon people in between periods of decency, I cannot believe they were so bad as to deserve to suffer and die for it without empathy. Maybe one man in a half billion is so terrible as to deserve that.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Spiritus Nox posted:

Actually that is lovely too

How do you feel about the death of bin Laden?

McCain supports legislation that would kill 20,000 Americans a year on average, which in bin Laden terms is doing a 9/11 on America roughly every 8 weeks, forever. But McCain is plotting it in a suit and tie, behind a desk, whereas bin Laden plotted in a turban from a camp in the mountains. Therefore it's impolite to hope the former dies before he can carry out mass murder, whereas the death of the latter can be morally pursued after-the-fact with huge cross-party bipartisan agreement and nationwide celebrations when it comes to pass.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jul 20, 2017

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/imwiththoughts/status/887885048782798849

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

How do you feel about the death of bin Laden?

I wasn't particularly happy about that, either, thanks. I didn't feel bad for him then and I don't feel bad for McCain now, but cheering for their demise is loving gross and if I'm going to impotently dream at them I might as well impotently dream that they stay alive and stop being lovely people.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

asdf32 posted:

Large amounts of people just don't understand insurance or life in general. If you're a healthy working person you're going to subsidize healthcare for other people no matter what. It doesn't really matter whether it's taxes or premiums.

Like I've had arguments with Obamacare haters and all it came down to is this - they didn't understand what insurance is. Shockingly they also don't get how covering pre-existing conditions goes hand in hand with the insurance mandate and cost regulations (which prevent companies from just charging 100x for a cancer enrollee).

Hate to have to quote you again but when you're right you're right:

https://twitter.com/rob_flaherty/status/887883529891192835

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Spiritus Nox posted:

I wasn't particularly happy about that, either, thanks. I didn't feel bad for him then and I don't feel bad for McCain now, but cheering for their demise is loving gross and if I'm going to impotently dream at them I might as well impotently dream that they stay alive and stop being lovely people.

Fair enough, it's consistent anyway

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

asdf32 posted:

First forget appointments, that's the last battle worth fighting. Second such is life that what I said is literally true. McCain was a better than average republican and his death isn't actually good.

Better than average meaning one single vote against party since January.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

asdf32 posted:

Two Arizona Senate seats up for reelection in 2018 is potentially very, very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Hate to have to quote you again but when you're right you're right:

https://twitter.com/rob_flaherty/status/887883529891192835

Love my $12 a year insurance.