Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

exquisite tea posted:

When was the last honest to god scary RE anyhow? REmake I guess?

Resident Evil was never scary but it was at least not a pain in the rear end with endless qtes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Resident evil games are bad.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

exquisite tea posted:

When was the last honest to god scary RE anyhow? REmake I guess?

RE7 in VR leads to some pretty good feelings of deep existential dread and fear, I gotta admit. But then that means it costs around $500 to play a scary Resident Evil.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Orv posted:

It's a bad, bad game, much as some people will protest otherwise.

I will never call RE6 a good game but I will always call it a fun game.

Note that I never played it solo.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jul 20, 2017

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
That Doom thing is generating so many nerd-tears, it's great reading.

"I don't feel entilted to anything, it's just that I paid for something, then they give it away for free, so it's pretty much theft now if they don't offer anything in return for the money we've spent."

I'm not entitled, it's just that I should get something free for no reason.

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jul 20, 2017

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Joke's on us, the Doom Update is 34.7GB.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

DOOM will now occupy exactly 666 terabytes on disk

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
It's interesting to see just how badly Agent Hunt turns RE6 into a miserable slog even in my short time in so far. I didn't quite realize what was happening the first three or so times it happened but when it just starts adding an endless spawn of enemies so you can't identify the hunter - ignoring the fact that having a continuous enemy flow coming at you at all times gets tiresome extremely fast. Alternately you can just hole up in a corner and hilariously wait for the Agent Hunter to come to you and shoot them.

I was willing to give it a shot but it's kind of hilarious that they added a Dark Souls-ey element that's so mishandled. It kiiinda works in Dark Souls because you either win or lose or flee and that's that. In Agent Hunt, the enemy player just keeps getting to respawn infinitely at you. I don't know if they get kicked out at any point (presumably if you go through a chapter that doesn't accommodate Agent Hunt), but otherwise...? It's getting turned off, I want to finish this game someday, not have to deal with having to drop into a half-assed troll-ish horde mode at any moment.

Also, there are people playing Agent Hunt! Who knew. :v:

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I don't think I was properly prepared by reviews for just how ill-conceived and poorly designed Resident Evil 6 is. It's at least kind of perversely fascinating in its badness, at least.

The secret is not to fight with guns. It's a wrestling game with a story, not a survival horror game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYXXPc1zz6M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyGf9fhJ5uI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uf0DhP72EN4

The first 3-4 hours I played RE6 I hated it, and I think it was Orv? that sent me one of those videos. Finally clicked to me what I was supposed to actually be doing. Spent the rest of the game powersliding around, single tapping dudes then suplexing them, etc etc. Became my favorite RE game for gameplay just because I basically wrestled my way through the entire game.

Still got a few problems, namely too many QTEs but that made it hilarious enough for me to enjoy.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The wrestling part is poo poo too, but at least it's funny garbage.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Does this Doom free weekend include the single player?

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.

Cojawfee posted:

Does this Doom free weekend include the single player?

https://bethesda.net/community/topic/73729/doom-update-6-66-faq-and-patch-notes/2

"What is the DOOM Free Trial Weekend?

The free weekend is a great time to get hands on with one of the biggest games of 2016. You can play the first two Campaign levels and all of DOOM Multiplayer and SnapMap. "

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

mcbexx posted:

This is where Steam annoys me. I just bought DOOM in the summer sale and downloaded it which is a pretty big deal for me on the lovely Internet access I get here (300GB/mo cap). I literally started the campaign a week ago. I was going to sit down tonight and play some more, but now I can't. :(

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Honestly I think any game with DLC for multiplayer content should make that DLC free as soon as the multiplayer scene is too dead to get a proper match in. It jumpstarts the scene and developers get their content seen one last time before nobody ever touches it again.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Anyone try Children of Zodiarcs yet? The dice and cards poo poo makes me extremely wary of buying it and I wanna know how it shakes out compared to other tactics games.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

mcbexx posted:

I had to download 66GB back at the Summer Sale when I bought so now DOOM is sitting at a 100GB download, 1/3rd of that being something you'll probably not play.

I mean, I still reccomend it as the campaing is great but poo poo.

(Get DOOM)

(Tomorrow)

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

It's still "only" 68 GB to download from zero, the patch is just ginormous. If they wanted to give us a gift they'd have let us uninstall the multiplayer entirely.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

odiv posted:

This is where Steam annoys me. I just bought DOOM in the summer sale and downloaded it which is a pretty big deal for me on the lovely Internet access I get here (300GB/mo cap). I literally started the campaign a week ago. I was going to sit down tonight and play some more, but now I can't. :(
So apparently what I need to do to avoid this in future is individually set games to only update when I launch them (no global setting, thanks Steam!) and make sure to only launch them in Offline mode?

edit: Eh, I'm overreacting a bit, it's not like this happens every day. But still 35GB! Not much I can do here. Definitely don't have the space in my quota this month.

odiv fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 20, 2017

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Count Uvula posted:

Anyone try Children of Zodiarcs yet? The dice and cards poo poo makes me extremely wary of buying it and I wanna know how it shakes out compared to other tactics games.

Only played an hour so far, but the dice thing just lets you influence the rng a bit, with you being able to change dice for different loadouts and being able to reroll bad rolls. It's pretty cool.

Card system is fairly basic, too. Different characters have access to different cards and you can customize their decks in case you want your archer to have a more aggressive or a support build, for instance.

It's very fire emblem, including the experience gained pop up after every attack. I like it but there's definitely room for improvement as well.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

RIP and TEAR. Goty 2016

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Anyone try Book of Demons out and mind giving a review of it? It looks like an ARPG, but also a card game. Or the cards are your active abilities? Its getting pretty high reviews for an early access game.

Also Tangledeep is a pretty fun game and I look forward to full release. I'm going to try and hold out and not play it too much because I don't want to get tired it before then. I very much appreciate the clean UI and how information is presented to you in a non intrusive way.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Time to buy a 10TB HDD so that I can have 5-7 games installed.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
The loving stupidest thing about DOOM is all this focus on multiplayer garbage which no one cared about and was DOA. Why do they keep pushing that poo poo?

Give use some DLC mini-campaigns like Dishonored did or something. I'd gladly shell out $20-60 for more good demon-killing singleplayer content and have spent exactly $0 on any of those multiplayer DLC garbage and will never spend more than $0 on it

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Givin posted:

Anyone try Book of Demons out and mind giving a review of it? It looks like an ARPG, but also a card game. Or the cards are your active abilities? Its getting pretty high reviews for an early access game.

Also Tangledeep is a pretty fun game and I look forward to full release. I'm going to try and hold out and not play it too much because I don't want to get tired it before then. I very much appreciate the clean UI and how information is presented to you in a non intrusive way.

It's a really loving cool ARPG/Diablo clone that's supplemented by cards being your abilities. It's also 100% done already, you can go from town to Archdemon without any issues, all quests are in. They just don't have Rogue in yet, and want to add more environments/spell types. It does have a free demo if you want to check it out first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDOoBpv_ar0 is a quick video of it in action from the Mage.

They built it as part of a "program" I suppose where they wanted to go back and "overhaul" all the old classics as these fantasy books in a library, 7 games in all. So it's not just a Diablo like, it's basically Diablo with the edges shaved off and the gameplay being more papercraft/on rails a bit. Only problem is, last I checked Book of Demons didn't sell anywhere near what they wanted it to sell as, so it sounds like it might just end up being Book of Demons. Or maybe not! They keep hinting at Book of Aliens which would be this paper artstyle but Starcraft. They've also started saying Book of Wastes which might be Fallout 1 with the style. I imagine we'll also see a Book of Big Demons for the eventual Doom papercraft thing.

It's a neat idea if they ever get it off the ground and get people interested.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Xaris posted:

The loving stupidest thing about DOOM is all this focus on multiplayer garbage which no one cared about and was DOA. Why do they keep pushing that poo poo?

Give use some DLC mini-campaigns like Dishonored did or something. I'd gladly shell out $20-60 for more good demon-killing singleplayer content and have spent exactly $0 on any of those multiplayer DLC garbage and will never spend more than $0 on it
The multiplayer was contracted out so the amount of post-launch content to be produced for it was probably set in stone at that point.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Rookersh posted:

It's a really loving cool ARPG/Diablo clone that's supplemented by cards being your abilities. It's also 100% done already, you can go from town to Archdemon without any issues, all quests are in. They just don't have Rogue in yet, and want to add more environments/spell types. It does have a free demo if you want to check it out first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDOoBpv_ar0 is a quick video of it in action from the Mage.

They built it as part of a "program" I suppose where they wanted to go back and "overhaul" all the old classics as these fantasy books in a library, 7 games in all. So it's not just a Diablo like, it's basically Diablo with the edges shaved off and the gameplay being more papercraft/on rails a bit. Only problem is, last I checked Book of Demons didn't sell anywhere near what they wanted it to sell as, so it sounds like it might just end up being Book of Demons. Or maybe not! They keep hinting at Book of Aliens which would be this paper artstyle but Starcraft. They've also started saying Book of Wastes which might be Fallout 1 with the style. I imagine we'll also see a Book of Big Demons for the eventual Doom papercraft thing.

Going by the Steam forums development on Demons continues. It's just slower due to the financials.

They're testing a big rebalance/content patch they want to nail down before adding the rogue.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jul 20, 2017

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Xaris posted:

they sold people MULTIPLAYER SEASON PASSES and thus were required to actually release the dlc they promised

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Strike Vector EX is out and looks p awesome

Smoke bogies erra day

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Xaris posted:

Well made single player content is really, really loving expensive compared to multiplayer content.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

corn in the bible posted:

they sold people MULTIPLAYER SEASON PASSES and thus were required to actually release the dlc they promised

I don't think (hope) a single tear would have been shed if they went "welp sorry guys multiplayer sucks so we'll give all season pass holders the DLC campaigns free"" but yeah I guess that costs $$ comparatively and wouldn't want that.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Xaris posted:

I don't think (hope) a single tear would have been shed if they went "welp sorry guys multiplayer sucks so we'll give all season pass holders the DLC campaigns free"" but yeah I guess that costs $$ comparatively and wouldn't want that.

also they contracted the multiplayer stuff to another company who would still have to be paid for the multiplayer dlc they weren't going to make, and also someone would have to be paid to make singleplayer dlc.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

corn in the bible posted:

also they contracted the multiplayer stuff to another company who would still have to be paid for the multiplayer dlc they weren't going to make, and also someone would have to be paid to make singleplayer dlc.
I was just going to say this. There's such a thing as "contracts;" it's not some personal preference by Bethesda to focus on one thing or the other once that contract has been finalized.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Soho Joe posted:

I'm gonna finish 100%ing Hollow Knight today, but what will scratch my exploration itch next?? I've played La-Mulana and Cave Story, and Steam is suggesting Rain World, Dust, and the Ori re-release.

Toki Tori 2+ - $14.99 - puzzle platformer with birb
1000 Amps - $4.99 - monochromatic metroidvania
NaissanceE - $14.99 - very atmospheric exploration game, a great experience

also have a look at Miasmata

Orv
May 4, 2011

Waffle! posted:

Strike Vector EX is out and looks p awesome

Smoke bogies erra day

That trailer is :krad: but even at that price point a MP competitive plane game is going to die so fast it's not really worth it.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Rookersh posted:

The first 3-4 hours I played RE6 I hated it, and I think it was Orv? that sent me one of those videos. Finally clicked to me what I was supposed to actually be doing. Spent the rest of the game powersliding around, single tapping dudes then suplexing them, etc etc. Became my favorite RE game for gameplay just because I basically wrestled my way through the entire game.

Still got a few problems, namely too many QTEs but that made it hilarious enough for me to enjoy.

Yeah, I'd already gotten most of that down, though things like the dashing moves and counters were something I hadn't figured out yet. The issue I find is that the melee stuff isn't as intuitive as it was in previous games, too often I have to be closer than I'd expect or think they're reeling when they're actually not. I've seen zombies get shot, spin 180, and remain unstunned when I rush up. The visual cues aren't terribly clear, and the result of a melee attack may as well be random for the amount of variables that go into it, and the exhaustion mechanic isn't terribly thrilling. On the other hand, it's clear the animators worked overtime in this game in a number of areas and it has some real potential, but it's just strangely rough for the amount of work that was put into it.

Then you have just weird stuff where a quickshot with a pistol will stun a zombie but not a quickshot with a shotgun. It's rough.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Orv posted:

That trailer is :krad: but even at that price point a MP competitive plane game is going to die so fast it's not really worth it.

Isn't it already kind of dead? That game was in early access for ages, and the player base died off pretty quickly after the first time it was "released".

Orv
May 4, 2011

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Isn't it already kind of dead? That game was in early access for ages, and the player base died off pretty quickly after the first time it was "released".

Oh I didn't realize it had been. Probably then.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The entire last part of the game of Dead Rising 2 OTR is such bullshit. Fast mutant zombies immune to queens/flashkicks, who barf on you, which causes you to barf and get grabbed for a single or double QTE, then the zombies swarm you when that happens. Mix that with mercs who either shoot you or use a sonic gun that makes you vomit and drop your weapon. Both of them mix and they beeline to you in large numbers and barf endlessly at you. Get on a high ground and you hear a deafening roar of vomiting zombies who swarm your position with greater numbers over time. Only good thing is that the human AI no longer exists to where it ignores you shooting them half the time.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Rookersh posted:

That is a really neat idea for games. I've bought into worse and if there is a chance Paper Mario Starcraft gets made, I'm all in.

Thank you for the write up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
if I remember right Doom came out around the same time as Overwatch. bad luck that.

• Locked thread