Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

All right. It seems that's the last of them.
Xander! Leo! I'm so glad you're here!
My goodness, Elise... Do you really need to bounce around like that?
...Though I'm happy to see our wonderful brothers as well. Now all four of us are together, just like the Hoshidan brothers and sisters.
What? You had the entire Hoshidan royal family with you...

You wanna test yourself against Ryoma's blade, cheeky boy?

What'd you just say? Are you mocking us?!
No, of course not. I'm merely speaking my mind.
I can already tell that there will be trouble between me and this guy...
Relax, Leo.

We all made the choice to come here.
...You're right, Xander. I apologize.
It's hard to get used to this, but after what happened to Father...
What do you mean? Did something happen in Nohr?
When we last saw Father, he...

He commanded us to destroy both kingdoms.
That's insane!

To be fair, this is by far the last that Corrine has seen of Nohr's evil. She has fought mostly non-Nohrian forces so far, with the worst being in Izumo.

Corrine, in Izumo you said that you thought Father was being controlled.
I didn't believe you then, but after seeing how Father has changed... I've decided that you might have been correct all along.
It's true, Leo. I haven't lied to you. Our real enemy is controlling King Garon.
I apologize for calling you a traitor. If I had trusted you sooner, we would be in a better situation now.
You don't need to apologize. Just having your trust now means more to me than you know.

I have no intention of turning my back on my kingdom. But if Father is not himself, and is in fact a danger to our home... Then it is my duty to follow you and do what is best for Nohr.

So obviously that whole act was a fake. Or it would be a good plan if, again I have to repeat, he didn't blurt out Corrine's location for no real reason. And he'll never admit it was his fault.

Corrine... I trust you. I trust that you'll remain true to your goal for a lasting peace.
Xander...
Then I propose a truce between our kingdoms.
What do you mean, Prince Ryoma?
You and I are similar, Xander, both in our goals and our motivation. If there is a way to bring peace to our two kingdoms, that is the cause I will support.

My god, Ryoma's hair can just eat Xander right now.

I accept your proposal, Prince Ryoma. I hope that we can achieve a peaceful world.
Ryoma and Prince Xander—working together. I never thought I'd see it.
Just make sure you don't slow us down, Hoshidans.
You don't seem to share your brother's open mind...
I apologize for Leo—he bears you no ill will. Don't let it worry you. We can't have you sully your pretty face with a frown.
Um... I...I'll do my best to help everyone as much as I can!
Yeah! I'm going to do the exact same thing!
Isn't this wonderful, Corrine? You've managed to win over your family, blood related and not! Because of the choice you made, all of this became possible.

"Thanks for buying the DLC, sucka!"

And thank you all. It means more than I can say for everyone to trust me.
We'd better get going, Corrine. Now that we've secured so many allies, we should do what we came here to do. Once we reach our destination, we can tell everyone what we know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

This should've been the one game. First act in Nohr, discovering the secret of Garon and fleeing with your siblings, second act in Hoshido trying to convince them to join you and the rebellious Nohrians, final act in Valla to stop Anankos. Boom, similar story structure to Awakening and better than this fuckin' mess.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Those are painfully bad stats for a freshly promoted Corrine.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Crosspeice posted:

This should've been the one game. First act in Nohr, discovering the secret of Garon and fleeing with your siblings, second act in Hoshido trying to convince them to join you and the rebellious Nohrians, final act in Valla to stop Anankos. Boom, similar story structure to Awakening and better than this fuckin' mess.

Yes, but then how could you have the contrived "choice" between Glorious Goodville and Bad Guyvia?

I do wonder if they could have made a half-decent story if there was only one game and the cast was cut in half. I mean, what you wrote makes sense, but these writers have shown no indication that being able to handle any of this. I'm not even sure that they'd be willing to part with the disturbing amount of incest, let alone put some effort into putting the effort necessary to make the characters act logically.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 19, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the story wouldn't have been great even still but if you remove all the dumb valla stuff birthright and conquest at least start to make sense. especially if you assume removing the valla stuff would make garon just act like 'yeah gently caress you i need land for my starving shitfarmers' and not a cackling slime dad

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Well, it took half the game, but we're finally going to play the goddman point of the DLC.

It seems the time has come. Corrine, what do we do now?

This bridge seems to get bigger everytime I see it again.

We have to reach the bottom of the canyon to continue.
Corrine, it's called the Bottomless Canyon. By definition, we can't reach the bottom. You're asking us to kill ourselves!
Lady Corrine, you were prepared for them to doubt you, yes?
Yes, Gunter. I was prepared for this.
I'm sorry I haven't been able to tell you the whole truth up until now. I'm certain that you'll be willing to jump once you know why I've been fighting.

Right, the jumping into infinite abyss part. Corrine sure left a lot up to chance even after somehow recruiting both armies.

If you do, the curse...
What curse? What is she talking about?
If I speak the truth here, and not down below, a curse will trigger and I'll...vanish. But if that's the only way to convince everyone to jump, then I have to do it.

Seriously, the most lenient curse ever if you can literally say it's a curse.

Xander, Ryoma, I'm counting on you two to finish what I've started once I'm gone.

Likewise. How can you possibly expect us to agree to that?
B-but why?

Scarlet is this route's objective guide apparently.

They want you to order them to jump off the bridge—not ask nicely.
What?
Listen, Corrine. We've decided to trust you, no matter what. Now you need to trust us—trust that we will follow your orders.
Exactly. If we had any doubt about you, we would never have come here.
You're our little sister. We wouldn't turn our backs on you now.

You never explained what we're going to do once we recruited everyone, Azura.....

Understood.
It's time to go, everyone! Jump down into the canyon! This is the first step to peace!

"Whoo yeah! Let's hope this isn't just mass suicide!"

Most of the group jumps. And that's how the story ends.

Oh, it's a custom among the knights of Cheve. Whenever one faces some monumental event, it's tradition to pin on a flower.

Where did you find a flower among the lava field?

Well, thank you. My fighting prowess is quite impressive as my only stre-

Uh...right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE7oylX-5VE

Did you not hear that or was that just some fancy inner monologue...?

That didn't happen the first time I jumped down here...

Oh poo poo

Corrine, watch out!

*Pushes Corrine out of the way*

Yep

No... This can't be... Scarlet! Answer me, Scarlet!

Scarlet is dead. Sucks for you if you decided to randomly marry her if you're a male.

Oh good, enemies already.

What the—enemies? I've been spotted already?!

*Two figures appear and kill the Snipers*

Ryoma! Xander!
Don't let down your guard! The area is crawling with enemies.
More are coming!

*Two Zerkers appear, but Azura and Gunter take them out*

You all made it!
I'm glad to see you safe, Corrine!
Over there! Who is that?!

You seem familiar from waaaay back then.

That mage must be the one summoning all of these enemies.
Then we need to fight through them and take her out!

Scarlet's corpse is still there just in case you want to manually remove items from her.

I got way too many characters to list again, so I'll figure out something to cut down the list soon.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fun fact! Thanks to skirmishes, you can marry Scarlet before this mission, and even recruit the kid. You may wonder what that changes.

Nothing.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

What, you thought Izana getting hilariously killed off and Yukimura getting punted to house sitting duties wasn't enough? gently caress you, here's a plot death for a character literally right after recruiting said character.

And the best part? This event will get dumber later on.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Dick move, devs. Dick move.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Yeah, got spoiled on this a long time ago.

My thoughts now, as back then, is pretty much still the same - "... Well that's loving stupid."

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Literally the only character from Birthright I liked.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
big fan of killing off characters in the 'take a third option and save everyone' route, imo

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The forgotten dragon. Maybe you should have considered not being in some weird twilight pocket dimension and cursing people to not speak about you if that's got you het up, dude.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Shakespeare this ain't.

PassingPie
Aug 18, 2013
Do they actually make her playable for one chapter before killing her off?

I... what? :psyduck:

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

PassingPie posted:

Do they actually make her playable for one chapter before killing her off?

I... what? :psyduck:

Worse than that. They made her playable for one, maybe two maps... and didn't give the player any way to SAVE her, unlike Kaze in Birthright (nonsensical and counterintuitive though his method may have been).

I might've said this before, but I am firmly of the opinion that if a character's death does not contribute to the plot, that character should not die. And really, as far as I can see this is just Yet Another Gratuitous Shock Value Death perpetrated by Fates, nothing more.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
It is entirely possible a first-time player might give Scarlet stat boosters and/or other items in the hopes of making her a god unit, only to lose her immediately for no good reason.

FE: Fates, everyone.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Shakespeare this ain't.

Normally, I'd make a Timon of Athens joke here, but the writing in Fates falls below even that.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Funny thing about this is that yes, you can just back out and do scout missions and she'll still be alive then.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

In terms of time of availability before suddenly and unexpectedly removing her it's not quite as bad as Jill in Path of Radiance, who you would have had for a guaranteed 8 chapters already before a certain little issue might raise its head, but it's still really bad. Everything else about if of course is far, far worse.

Come to think of it, the Jill situation is more comparable to the Birthright Kaze one, though at least in Birthright you kept the equipment.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Jill in Path of Radiance is something that the game repeatedly warns you not to do, and if you do it you can just restart the chapter and not do that. It's nowhere near as stupid as Kaze

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Someone stick a fork in me, I'm done.

And the worst part is that I have officially lost all faith in the possibility of FE Switch being a good game because of Fates. Congrats, IS.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Junpei posted:

Someone stick a fork in me, I'm done.

And the worst part is that I have officially lost all faith in the possibility of FE Switch being a good game because of Fates. Congrats, IS.

Echoes is good though

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

cheetah7071 posted:

Echoes is good though

Yes, this is true, but it's a remake of an existing game with an established plot. It also wasn't perfect. Still good. Just not enough to raise my hopes for FE Switch.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
You'd have more of a point if the original wasn't a barebones NES plot with maybe a page or two of dialogue all added up. For all intents and purposes, the plot of Echoes was original

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Jill in Path of Radiance is something that the game repeatedly warns you not to do, and if you do it you can just restart the chapter and not do that. It's nowhere near as stupid as Kaze

Eh, more meant mechanically given they're both based around supports. No question that "randomly falls off a cliff" is hilariously worse than the PoR version. Though I think that cutscene is before the save point, so technically you could just reload and then go do some random maps to get the rank up. Not that this makes it any less stupid, but you can work around it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I couldn't think of anything, so here's just a straight up vote of all of them. 5 most voted are benched forever.

http://www.strawpoll.me/13487918

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
We haven't seen the kids of all of the people on the chopping block here, if they get benched, are we not going to see them at all?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

inthesto posted:

Literally the only character from Birthright I liked.

Same. I'm, at best, indifferent to everyone else from the route they try so hard to push you towards it, but kill her off in all but one route annoys me enough to make me hate Hoshido more.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Krumbsthumbs posted:

We haven't seen the kids of all of the people on the chopping block here, if they get benched, are we not going to see them at all?

All the kids will be shown regardless.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Junpei posted:

a lot of things were criticized about fates in both the na and jp communities and even reviews. i mean a lot of american reviews somehow managed to convince htemselves the plot is good but the kids and stuff like the weird stuff about valla were pretty uniformly panned.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Guys can we not vote Ryoma off the team, I only played Conquest and I want to see Ryoma smash things.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
The Chump Brigade has arrived!

Look at those loving stats it's chapter goddamn 17.

RIP Scarlet, we hardly knew ye. You got the shittiest death in this entire game and that is saying something. I think the devs had a special hatred for you.

LEGO Genetics fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 20, 2017

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

LEGO Genetics posted:

Look at those loving stats it's chapter goddamn 18.

This is where the game is shoving its grinding feature into your face. And while I don't have a problem with OPTIONAL grinding, this is all but forced grinding. The only reason it isn't completely forced is because you don't have to use them.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

LEGO Genetics posted:

Look at those loving stats it's chapter goddamn 17.

RIP Scarlet, we hardly knew ye. You got the shittiest death in this entire game and that is saying something. I think the devs had a special hatred for you.

I'd still say Izana keeling over for no real reason was worse, but Scarlet was pretty high up there.

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
Next verse same as the first.

LEGO Genetics posted:

I got a strong vibe that Scarlet was based on someone's ex and so they were killing her off ha ha ha :(

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Scarlet also got killed so badly in Conquest that they couldn't describe what they did to her body.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

chiasaur11 posted:

Fun fact! Thanks to skirmishes, you can marry Scarlet before this mission, and even recruit the kid. You may wonder what that changes.

Nothing.

Even by Fire Emblem standards, that's going to be one messed up kid.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
You know they could have just blacked her out like Gunther in this route.

Why allow her to build support ranks and potential marriage and not even follow up on anything at all?

FIRE EMBLEM FATES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Kaden, Peri, Orochi, Subaki, Shura are gone permanently.

Beruka, Benny, Setsuna, Keaton, Reina, Jakob, Niles, Hinata, Nyx, Hana are in the next mission. Ryoma lost by one vote, also no ninja.

...What is this party.

• Locked thread