Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Hmm the constant wall hanging punishments makes me wonder if its time dependent, maybe he does different punishments only occur on different days perhaps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Zeniel posted:

Hmm the constant wall hanging punishments makes me wonder if its time dependent, maybe he does different punishments only occur on different days perhaps?

Maybe. Could just be an RNG with a healthy range for that particular punishment.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Zeniel posted:

Nah, I think it's just a straight 25% chance and Double just kept getting the same result. Also possible that there's some random number seed so if he tried all his deaths in a row (likely), pseudo-RNG kept spitting out the same result.

Don't worry, he's still got plenty of time to screw up and get punished :getin:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Alternatively, you can just play the AGD remake if you don't want to deal with the copy protection.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

wiegieman posted:

Alternatively, you can just play the AGD remake if you don't want to deal with the copy protection.

Do the infamous adventures one it's a straight port without any plot editing at all IIRC.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

ulmont posted:

Do the infamous adventures one it's a straight port without any plot editing at all IIRC.

THIS.

I'm not going to say that the AGD remake is as bad as the 2 remake, but they still added things that didn't need to be added (and they didn't add them well).

If you don't want to play the original that is.

mauman fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jul 21, 2017

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

just realised the common theme between the two good kings quest games they both feature gwydion as the PC

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Ironically, when it came to spell creation, the AGD Interactive version was actually more faithful to the source material than the Infamous Adventures version. Neither team wanted to directly put information into their game that allowed you to bypass the original game's copy protection. (despite the fact that even then that information was a mere google search away from most people) The IA version simply listed the items you needed for the spell and if you had all the necessary items, clicking on the spell's symbol in the book instantly performed all the steps without requiring further user input. (if you lacked one of the items, you died) The AGDI version did require the player to undertake the steps listed onscreen themselves and changed the incantations and a few random steps to differ from the ones in the original's copy protection.

The IA approach was quick and simple (and arguably more userfriendly), though the insta-cast process did cause the player to frequently end up having to idle away too much time waiting for the wizard to return since the timer was balanced around the spell creation taking a while. The AGDI approach was more involved, with the timer still ticking down throughout the process and arguably did a better job in replicating the feeling of having to balance quick action in the face of time pressure with a steady hand of completing a meticulous process where screwing up a step cost you your life and that could not be aborted half-way through.

Bloops Crusts posted:

btw, sup Erpy.

Hi there.

Erpy fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jul 21, 2017

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Hello everyone, welcome back to King's Quest III. Judging by the timer at the top of the screen, we now have 20 minutes and 29 seconds to walk down the mountain, loot Llewdor, walk back up the mountain, engage with copy protection some more, and then cover our tracks thoroughly. Manannan will not be happy if we're not at the house when he returns. He'd also catch us with an inventory full of asterisk items, so we need to hoof it.

If you look at the background, you can see some of the destinations we'll be off to. On the right is a small town. There's a lone house in the middle, and the American Southwest is off to the left. So let's get to it!

>open gate

In the first update when I pulled a fistful of fur out of the cat, we were actually pretty lucky, as evidenced by the chicken here. When you go to pick up either the cat or the chicken, there's a chance that the animal will dart out of your grasp and run away. If the RNG doesn't like you, then you may have to try several times. Luckily you can mash F3 to recall the last typed command.

Some fried chicken would taste pretty good, not gonna lie. I bet we can...

>eat chicken

: Sorry, Colonel; they're not even dead yet!

Bah! Fine, let's just get what we need and be on with it.

>get feather

: Tucking the chicken firmly under one arm, Gwydion gently plucks a small feather, then lets the bird go.

: The chicken feather is small and light, no more than a piece of fluff.

Onward, to victory!

I showed this off briefly at the end of the last update, but here it is again. The path down the mountain is yet another Sierra winding path, because I guess they were contractually obligated to make getting around as annoying as possible.

I love these little timelapse gifs. 30 seconds of annoying tightrope walking condensed to a fraction of the time.

Believe it or not, but this screen has killed me more times than the preceding one. You see the little canyon just below Gwydion? It's a deadly fall.

This screen here is the closest thing to a crossroads. In every direction there's stuff worth doing. But first, we're going west.

Those little brown and yellow pixel blobs on the ground are fallen acorns. One of our spells copy protection tests requires some fallen acorns. So...

>get acorns

: Gwydion picks and pokes among the fallen acorns looking for dried ones. He doesn't find any; these are all newly fallen.

Repeat command 3 more times

: Gwydion picks and pokes among the fallen acorns looking for dried ones. He eventually finds three dried ones and takes them with him.

If you're unlucky, this is one of the places the game can really troll you. I've had it take upwards of 11 tries before.

: The three acorns are dried and brittle.
: The magic wand is cool and smooth to the touch, and creamy-white in color. You think it might be made from ivory.

Anyway, we're going into the desert first.

King's Quest III doesn't have as many random encounters. In fact, there are only two in the game. Sierra, by this point, was starting to realize that people don't like randomly dodging death and theft every two screens.

The screen we're on is one of the exceptions. While the random encounter can happen on any desert screen, every time I've come onto this screen, it has appeared 100% of the time. So we'll just chill for a moment...

: The most hideous-looking being has made its appearance! It's Medusa!

This is one of those encounters that can trip you up if you're not prepared. You have to walk onto the screen and immediately face to the right to avoid instant death when Medusa appears. Once you're in position just....

>show mirror to medusa

: Averting his eyes, Gwydion aims the wizard's hand mirror at Medusa's face. A scream pierces the air as she beholds her own hideous reflection... then... nothing. He dares to look. Medusa has turned herself to stone!

Gwydion may be a jerk, but he is kind of a badass. Just like that we've neutered one of the game's two random encounters altogether!

So let's move on.

Oh fine.

: Gwydion's eyes fall upon a face so hideous, so gruesome, that the horror of it is beyond description. People who look upon the face of Medusa, with her hair of writhing, live snakes, turn intantly to stone. Suddenly, his body feels cold and stiffens hard as a rock.
: You make a nice statue, Gwydion.

Happy now? Alright, let's get a move on.

>look statue

: Even as a statue, Medusa is indescribably ugly.

>look

: Gwydion notices an unusual little cactus beside that large rock. He walks over and carefully picks it up.

One screen south of Medusa's statue, and there's nothing down here. We'll keep going south.

>look ground

: The parched sands of the desert seem to reach forever westward. Gwydion notices a dried snake skin lying on the hot ground.

>get skin

: Gwydion retrieves the dried snake skin from the hot desert sand. It is delicate and could easily crumble.

South again, and there's nothing down here. Going south again will put us on Medusa's screen. So, our next order of business is to see just how wide this desert is. Take special note of the time: we've been playing for 12 minutes and 34 seconds.

I'm not going to screenshot every screen we cross, as that would bloat the update's size needlessly.

>look

: You have entered a great desert.

13 minutes.

14 minutes.

14:22 and a dumb idea occurs to me.

>gently caress

: Obviously, you were raised by a naughty wizard!

The heat's starting to get to me.

: Once you tasted it, you wouldn't want it!

At this point we've crossed somewhere between 8 and 10 screens, and wasted the better part of 2 minutes. I'm not gonna make a definite claim, but I suspect that if we continue any farther we will not be able to make it back to safety.

You see, this isn't a kind game. This was made by 1980s Sierra. If you were dumb enough to walk your idiot rear end out into the desert, then you're man enough to walk your dumb rear end back out for exactly as many screens as you walked out.

: Gwydion can't take the relentless sun anymore, and collapses from heat stroke. Miserably, he dies in this dreadful desert.

So finally after just over 3 minutes of aimlessly wandering through the stupid desert, at 15 minutes and 43 seconds in, Gwydion dies of heat stroke. Oh, and you want to hear the best part? This endless sea of sand is a trap. The only two things you need are the small cactus and the snake skin. The only thing out in the desert proper is death and wasted time.

NEXT TIME: The Bee Threars Hived in a Louse Out in the Widdle of the Moods

List of Points

+2 - Dried acorns
+5 - Doing Perseus' job
+1 - Harvesting peyote
+1 - Gwydion the skin collector

Total: 54/210

Register of Deaths

Getting stoned in the desert
Getting lost in the endless desert

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 21, 2017

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
I think you can change your walking speed to Fastest when you get the warning about being in the desert too long; if it's based on real-time instead of screens crossed, you might be safe getting out of the desert.

It's still a trap, but it's just a thought.

Delvio
Sep 14, 2007
You have a minor type in the last update at the start of the desert:
"King's Quest III doesn't have as manu random encounters."

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I think you have one in your post as well. :pseudo:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

> push statue

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
In a previous KQ game, we'd probably have had to put a bridle on Medusa to get the maximum amount of points.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

PurpleXVI posted:

In a previous KQ game, we'd probably have had to put a bridle on Medusa to get the maximum amount of points.

> put many small bridles on Medusa's head

Do you mean the bridle or the bridle?

Snugglecakes
Dec 29, 2008

:h: :glomp: :h:

So what kind of backstory does Medusa have in the remake? I assume there was a remake?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

PurpleXVI posted:

In a previous KQ game, we'd probably have had to marry Medusa to get the maximum amount of points.

FTFY

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016

Snugglecakes posted:

So what kind of backstory does Medusa have in the remake? I assume there was a remake?

It's hard for me to recall. I didn't play the Infamous Adventures remake, and I only played the AGDI/Tierra remake once.

I think Medusa was one of the major story changes AGDI made... Since she's sort of "dropped into" the original 1986 game without a lot of reason for being there, randomly, in a desert, AGDI fleshed it out a little more. I want to say they placed her in a cave instead of in the desert. And instead of being THE Medusa, she was a human girl who was bewitched and transformed into a gorgon, possibly by Manannan. Naturally the way you uncursed her was by putting a golden bridle on her. jk I dont remember

But yeah Medusa was one of about two big changes AGDI made to the game, the other being the loving pirates

Erpy can probably tell you more, he was part of the team over at AGDI that worked on KQ1 VGA, KQ2 VGA, KQ3 VGA, and Quest for Glory 2 VGA. Speaking of which, how's things going, Erpy? Is the team still together over at Himalaya Studios? Last I heard was that Lori and Corey Cole were teaming up again to make a spiritual successor to Quest for Glory, is that still coming along? Not to derail the thread too much or anything.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Bloops Crusts posted:

Last I heard was that Lori and Corey Cole were teaming up again to make a spiritual successor to Quest for Glory, is that still coming along? Not to derail the thread too much or anything.

In theory. The Coles' last Kickstarter update was June 13:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/transolargames/hero-u-adventure-role-playing-game/updates

The Himalaya one's last update was February 16 where they were supposedly casting / recasting voice actors:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2112639455/mages-initiation-a-classic-sierra-style-adventure/updates

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Bloops Crusts posted:

It's hard for me to recall. I didn't play the Infamous Adventures remake, and I only played the AGDI/Tierra remake once.

I think Medusa was one of the major story changes AGDI made... Since she's sort of "dropped into" the original 1986 game without a lot of reason for being there, randomly, in a desert, AGDI fleshed it out a little more. I want to say they placed her in a cave instead of in the desert. And instead of being THE Medusa, she was a human girl who was bewitched and transformed into a gorgon, possibly by Manannan. Naturally the way you uncursed her was by putting a golden bridle on her. jk I dont remember

Yeah, in the AGDI remake, Medusa (or Smaude, as the game called her in the credits because the writer had a bit of an anagram fetish) wasn't a random encounter in the desert. Instead, in the northern part of the desert area (the remake's map didn't loop around) was a cave with a walkway around a glowing pit and a few alcoves with petrified people. Near one corner of the cave is Medusa (hidden in the shadows), who orders you to leave. If you try to take the amber stone, which in this game was in Medusa's cave rather than in the oracle cave or stuck around too long, she'd slither into the light and you'd get petrified. You could deal with her by using the mirror to petrify her or you could do the suicidal thing and approach her, which prompted her to tell you that if you would look upon her, you'd have to answer her questions from your heart. You'd get five questions, all of them could be answered by picking the goodie-two-shoes answer, centered around the aesop of true beauty lying within. If you got enough answers right, she'd be uncursed and turn human again. She'd tell you that she used to be a sorceress who tried to use the amber stone in a ritual to become more beautiful than any other woman. Her vanity tainted the spell, causing her to become hideous instead. She'd then let you take her treasure in exchange for your hand mirror.

Depending on how you dealt with her (ignored her, petrified her, uncursed her), one of the credits scenes would change. Oh, and she was voiced by Lori Cole.

quote:

Speaking of which, how's things going, Erpy? Is the team still together over at Himalaya Studios? Last I heard was that Lori and Corey Cole were teaming up again to make a spiritual successor to Quest for Glory, is that still coming along? Not to derail the thread too much or anything.

I'm afraid I can't answer that question, since I kinda retired from AGD Interactive and Himalaya after the KQ3 remake was released and stabilized. I had a lot of fun working on QFG2 and KQ3, but during those 8 years they also kinda consumed my life. ;) I wasn't ready to immediately jump into another project, especially one that was as ambitious as the game they were setting out to do. (in a way, it was basically another QFG) I did briefly help for a few months at the start, under the condition that it'd be temporary. I got a new job around that time too and wanted to avoid having additional commitments. So I'm afraid I can't really give you any updates. I do have faith the project will be completed at some point, even if its development seems to have taken as long as QFG2 by now. AGD2 always was one hell of a dedicated fellow.

And yeah, Lori and Corey Cole held a kickstarter for a QFG-like game. (set at a Hero University of some kind, kind of like an actual Famous Adventurer's Correspondence School) From what I heard, the project ran into more than a few hurdles, but it's still alive and kicking. I contributed to their kickstarter too, so I'm hoping to see the fruits of their labor eventually.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Erpy posted:

Yeah, in the AGDI remake, Medusa (or Smaude, as the game called her in the credits because the writer had a bit of an anagram fetish) wasn't a random encounter in the desert. Instead, in the northern part of the desert area (the remake's map didn't loop around) was a cave with a walkway around a glowing pit and a few alcoves with petrified people. Near one corner of the cave is Medusa (hidden in the shadows), who orders you to leave. If you try to take the amber stone, which in this game was in Medusa's cave rather than in the oracle cave or stuck around too long, she'd slither into the light and you'd get petrified. You could deal with her by using the mirror to petrify her or you could do the suicidal thing and approach her, which prompted her to tell you that if you would look upon her, you'd have to answer her questions from your heart. You'd get five questions, all of them could be answered by picking the goodie-two-shoes answer, centered around the aesop of true beauty lying within. If you got enough answers right, she'd be uncursed and turn human again. She'd tell you that she used to be a sorceress who tried to use the amber stone in a ritual to become more beautiful than any other woman. Her vanity tainted the spell, causing her to become hideous instead. She'd then let you take her treasure in exchange for your hand mirror.

Depending on how you dealt with her (ignored her, petrified her, uncursed her), one of the credits scenes would change. Oh, and she was voiced by Lori Cole.

That's a hell of a lot better than "Surprise--random desert medusa!"

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

OAquinas posted:

That's a hell of a lot better than "Surprise--random desert medusa!"

It was better than what they did with Drac in the KQ2 remake at least.

mauman fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 22, 2017

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016

mauman posted:

It was better than what they did with Drac in the KQ2 remake at least.

Erpy posted:

the writer had a bit of an anagram fetish

Count Dracula? That's Count Caldaur to you, buddy!

Another thing AGDI's KQ2 and KQ3 remakes did was they invented a new character to serve as an arch-villain, whose nefarious deeds would tie every one of the first seven games together.

Serious spoiler this time, don't look if you don't want to know: This was something a later game, KQ6, had hinted at way back in 1992, but the series was canned before the concept could ever be explored. So AGDI took up the challenge and wrote said arch-villain into existence, tying him in with the witch Hagatha and Count Caldaur, and the wizard Manannan, and later the wizard Mordack.

If I have one complaint about him, I think they were a bit too "on the nose" with his presentation. He was extremely tropey, not particularly nuanced, and his motivations and backstory might have strayed a bit far from established canon for my liking. But he wasn't all bad. I can't remember if he appears in KQ3 VGA, but he's prominently in KQ2 VGA, and a few of the segments he features in, especially the Cloud Spirit's trials to obtain the Air Stone, were very good -- at least I thought so. It's worth watching a YouTube video to see, although perhaps not until after DoubleNegative finishes KQ3, because that segment also contains spoilers for this game. (Continuities are confusing.)

Bloops Crusts fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 22, 2017

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Bloops Crusts posted:

If I have one complaint about him, I think they were a bit too "on the nose" with his presentation. He was extremely tropey, not particularly nuanced, and his motivations and backstory might have strayed a bit far from established canon for my liking. But he wasn't all bad. I can't remember if he appears in KQ3 VGA, but he's prominently in KQ2 VGA, and a few of the segments he features in, especially the Cloud Spirit's trials to obtain the Air Stone, were very good -- at least I thought so. It's worth watching a YouTube video to see, although perhaps not until after DoubleNegative finishes KQ3, because that segment also contains spoilers for this game. (Continuities are confusing.)

So kind of like how they approached Blofeld in SPECTRE?

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Yeah, kind of like that. I didn't particularly care for that plot element myself in SPECTRE, so I can imagine people weren't fond of its cousin in KQ2+, though in the remake's defense, it merely took something that KQ6 already lightly suggested and ran with it. (not to mention Hagatha being related to two other KQ baddies was apparantly canon enough to be included in the King's Questions if memory serves me correctly)

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

He shows up briefly, he's not that important to the story though (which is good).

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Erpy posted:

I'm afraid I can't answer that question, since I kinda retired from AGD Interactive and Himalaya after the KQ3 remake was released and stabilized. I had a lot of fun working on QFG2 and KQ3, but during those 8 years they also kinda consumed my life. ;)
Can you tell us why the combat in the QFG2 remake was so terrible?

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Xander77 posted:

It... wasn't???

It was still better than QFG3's combat, anyway.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Xander77 posted:

Shut up - the combat in the remake is great!

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Xander77 posted:

I can list design decisions that went into it, but explaining why it was "so terrible" is kinda tough since what's terrible for one person is fun for another...YMMV and all that.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Erpy posted:

I can list design decisions that went into it, but explaining why it was "so terrible" is kinda tough since what's terrible for one person is fun for another...YMMV and all that.

Yeah, QFG2 was the best of the stuff you guys made. I thought it was great. Always use the remake now when I do my annual QFG series playthroughs.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

mauman posted:

Yeah, QFG2 was the best of the stuff you guys made. I thought it was great. Always use the remake now when I do my annual QFG series playthroughs.

Do you play as a different class every year?

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Snorb posted:

Do you play as a different class every year?

multi-class. I try to do everything every run.

my (near) everything progression is:

Thief > Fighter (change class at start) > fighter to paladin in three > Paladin to the end and do whatever class stuff I feel like.

I have done the class specific stuff not capable with this progression however (paladin in two, thief/mage specific stuff in 3, Marrying Katrina/getting the magic staff in 5).

mauman fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 23, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So somebody sat down and made all those desert screens to get lost in and die.

That's some dedication.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
I'm pretty sure it's just one screen and the engine keeps track of how many screens west you've traveled. The sand dune might just be a sprite that shifts one pixel east/west every time Gwydion changes screens.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Hello everyone, and welcome back to King's Quest III. We're going to have to break with LP tradition with this update.

What tradition, you may ask? Well, in the first two games, the fourth update had a :psyduck: level puzzle with some good old fashioned Sierra moon logic. This one doesn't. We're still just gonna be wandering around looting the poo poo out of Llewdor for the most part.

Before we get started, let's take a look at our handy dandy magic map.

>look map

: The magic map's faded ink has brightened, but only in those places where you have been!

So we're on screen B1 it looks like. Llewdor is small enough that you really don't need a map, and very few screens are completely devoid of anything worthwhile.

So here's screen D2, just one south of the tree with all the fallen acorns. It's one of the very few completely empty screens.

Yeah. Say hello to the other random encounter. Llewdor has something of a bandit problem. These two assholes can randomly jump out of scenery at you on most of the wilderness screens. They behave exactly like the dwarf from the first two games.

: After recovering from a whack on the head at the hands of the bandits, Gwydion stands unsteadily. He takes stock of his pockets, discovering that everything he was holding has been stolen!

There is a way to get your stuff back, but it requires a little sequence breaking. We'll get to that momentarily, but first there's another fairy tale to shamelessly recreate...

: What's this? Three clothed bears?
: What a beautiful day for a stroll through the forest.

As my not-so-subtle teaser for this update may have clued you in to, we're about to reenact Goldilocks and the Three Bears. This is the first screen we're visiting today where the RNG can be a fickle bastard. We got lucky here, as the bears were leaving on our first try. If they aren't leaving when you enter the scren, you need to leave and return until they are.

This process can take some time.

>eat porridge (in front of big bowl)

: Gwydion tastes the porridge and decides that this bowl is much too hot.

>sit chair (next to big chair)

: Gwydion feels very small and uncomfortable in this big chair. It is much too hard.

>eat porridge (in front of medium bowl)

: This bowl of porridge is much too cold.

>sit chair (next to plush armchair)

: Gwydion sinks deeply into the overstuffed chair... too deeply! This chair is much too soft.

Now this next part is particularly important...

>get porridge (in front of small bowl)

: This bowl of porridge is just right! So, Gwydion takes it with him.

>sit chair (the tiny chair in front)

: This chair feels just right.

I really wish I knew why people at Sierra thought it was "oh, oh" instead of "uh oh". Anyway, we need to head upstairs.

Well... we gotta.

>lay on bed (next to the biggest bed)

: Gwydion flops onto the biggest (and hardest!) bed. This bed is MUCH too hard!

>lay on bed (next to the super plush bed)

: Gwydion jumps onto the medium-sized bed and sinks deep into its fluffy depths. This bed is MUCH too soft!

>lay on bed (next to the smallest bed)

: Gwydion lies upon the smallest bed, and snuggles down into the pillow. Ahhhh! This bed is just right. Before too long, Gwydion has fallen asleep.

Of course, falling asleep is an incredibly dumb idea, so let's pretend that didn't happen. Instead...

>open drawer (next to the chest of drawers)

: Gwydion opens the drawer, and among the clothes, he sees a pretty silver thimble, which he takes.

Back outside, there's another item to get here, but you somewhat have to know it's here.

>look flowers

: Gwydion carefully peeks into the pretty flowers of the flower garden. Drops of glistening dew have gathered within their soft petals.

>get dew

: Holding the silver thimble beneath a dew-filled flower, Gwydion gently tips the flower so its drew runs into the thimble. He moves from flower to flower, repeating the process until his thimble is brimming with dew.

Are thimbles even watertight? They don't seem like they would be.

Anyway, we're back here now. I mentioned above that there was a way to get our stuff back. It's on this screen, but we technically don't know how to do it yet. There are points associated with learning how to do this very thing, so please excuse me as I sequence break so I can actually complete the game.

We also needed to do this as part of the preparations I wanted to complete before Manannan returned.

>reach in hole

: Gwydion lies down on the ground and reaches into the small hole. He feels around inside the hollow tree and discovers a rope, stretching up into the tree. He pulls it and (to his amazement) a rope ladder falls from the branches above.

Alright, so this is another one of the places where the RNG can troll you super hard.

>look in house

: There seems to be somebody moving around inside the treehouse.

If there's someone moving around inside, we need to leave the screen and try again.

Repeat Two More Times

My test run before the LP, I was trolled by this guy refusing to go to sleep. I seriously tried for a minute and a half straight before catching a lucky break.

: Gwydion has entered the bandits' hideout; one of them is sleeping at a small table.
: Gwydion, I need you to get inside the bandit storage chest and retrieve mission critical equipment.

>look table

: There is a leather coin purse lying on top of a wobbly table. Gwydion carefully lifts it off the table; practically out from under the sleeping bandit's nose!

>open bin
>look in bin
>get all

: Gwydion slowly lifts the lid, and hopes the squeaky hinges do not wake the bandit. This must be where the bandits store all their loot. All of Gwydion's stolen possessions are inside the bin.

: Excellent work. A clean extraction with no alarms.

Whoops. Let's try that again...

>wake bandit

: The bandit opens his eyes and sees Gwydion in his hideout. He jumps up from the chair and gives chase.
: Alarms have been triggered, you need to extract now.

That's a good place to call it for now.

NEXT TIME: We finish our business below and return to the mountain to engage in Jolly Copy Protection.

List of Points

+2 - This porridge is juuuust right
+1 - Stealing a thimble
+1 - Getting dew
+3 - Hidden ladder
+2 - A treefort!
+4 - Stealing from bandits

Total: 67/210

Register of Deaths

Falling from the Tree Fort
Being thrown from the tree fort

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 25, 2017

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

DoubleNegative posted:

Are thimbles even watertight?

Sure, why not? It's just a little metal cap.

Also, when I mentioned in the remakes one item of food respawns? It's the porridge.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yea, those aren't holes, but dimples to help easily push needles in and keep a good grip.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Seems like you answered your own question with the video you linked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
For some reason I always thought thimbles had holes in them.

• Locked thread