Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
You can use a pistachio shell as a key to unlock insufficiently cracked/ side cracked pistachios. Put the tip in, and twist.

I shudder to think how many I shrugged as unopenable over the course of my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

IUG posted:

Pantera did break up and some of the members did form another band called "Damageplan". They had one album out and toured. This is when Dimebag Darrel was killed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damageplan

" 'Was killed?' A guy called 'Dimebag' didn't die of a drug overdose? What's Wikipedia say?..."

Wikipedia posted:

On December 8, 2004, 34 dates into the Devastation Across The Nation tour[19], Abbott was shot on-stage while performing with Damageplan at the Alrosa Villa in Columbus, Ohio. A crowd of approximately 250 had watched four support acts (two local bands entitled Volume Dealer and 12 Gauge[20], and the tour support Shadows Fall and The Haunted,) when moments into Damageplan's set, 25-year-old former Marine Nathan Gale shot Abbott five times in the head with a 9 mm Beretta 92FS pistol, killing him instantly. Some in attendance initially believed the shooting was part of the act, but as Gale continued shooting, the audience quickly came to the realization that the event was not staged. Firing a total of 15 shots, Gale killed four other people and wounded seven more.

Jeff "Mayhem" Thompson, the band's head of security, was killed tackling Gale, as was Alrosa Villa employee Erin Halk. Audience member Nathan Bray was killed while trying to perform CPR on Abbott and Thompson. It was rumored that one crowd member leapt in front of the gunman, saving the lives of several band members.[21] Damageplan's drum technician, John "Kat" Brooks, was shot three times as he attempted to disarm Gale, but was overpowered and taken hostage in a headlock hold. Tour manager Chris Paluska was also injured.

Responding within three minutes to a dispatch call made at 10:15pm, seven police officers entered through the front entrance and moved toward the stage. Officer James Niggemeyer came in through the back door, behind the stage. Gale only saw the officers in front of the stage; he did not see Niggemeyer, who was armed with a 12 gauge Remington 870 shotgun. Niggemeyer approached Gale from the opposite side of the stage past a group of security guards, and saw Gale lift his gun to Brooks' head, and fired a single shot as Gale noticed him. Gale was struck in the face with eight of the nine buckshot pellets and killed instantly. Gale was found to have had 35 rounds of ammunition remaining.[22]

Holy poo poo :stare: . That reads like an action movie script. Funny name aside, that cop nailed the guy in the head while he had a hostage in headlock, using a shotgun.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

And his name was Niggemeyer which adds to the weird name pile

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jerry Cotton posted:

But I don't like them I like Destiny's Child (:swoon:)

Well I like Westside Connection's take on it but that was still a good posttm by mind the walrus

WC posted:

Don't go chasing waterfalls
Stick to them dicks and balls you're used to

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Hyperlynx posted:

" 'Was killed?' A guy called 'Dimebag' didn't die of a drug overdose? What's Wikipedia say?..."

Holy poo poo :stare: . That reads like an action movie script. Funny name aside, that cop nailed the guy in the head while he had a hostage in headlock, using a shotgun.

My cousin was at that show, pretty close to the stage, he may have even been acquainted with Dimebag, I don't know. I think he's got a degree of PTSD from it, he started drinking more heavily since then and his marriage fell apart.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
You all do realize "ute" is short for "utility", right? As in "utility vehicle". So any sort of vehicle used with that generic purpose would be called a ute.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ferrule posted:

You all do realize "ute" is short for "utility", right? As in "utility vehicle". So any sort of vehicle used with that generic purpose would be called a ute.

So all automobiles except for sports cars and race cars are utes?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jerry Cotton posted:

So all automobiles except for sports cars and race cars are utes?

the EPA here in the states decided long ago that "light trucks" and SUVs (or utes, if you like) were exempt from emissions regulations applied to manufacturers

so for every ford focus or prius or honda that's out there getting good mpg there are five times as many ginormous soccer wagons and F-350s that are used solely to transport people who are emotionally insecure

because they are utility vehicles and need to transport cargo for the working folks

such as groceries

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

syscall girl posted:

such as groceries

Gotta buy the bulk size at Sams you know

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I went from a little econobox to a small SUV or crossover or whatever they're calling them these days and other than the mpg hit, it's better in every way. Granted I do a ton of outdoorsy poo poo and live beyond the range of municipal snowplowing.

Also I just figured out that the ends of the recoil spring in my lawnmower are now so soft from repeated repair attempts that they bend loose and slip after one or two starts. Only took me about 4 1/2 hours of loving with it to come to this conclusion, but I guess I'm really good at rebuilding the pull start assembly now.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
The phrase is "deep-seated" not "deep-seeded". I thought it was the latter because it made sense to think that certain things were deeply planted within someone (i.e., a deep-seeded fear of heights, or a deep-seeded fear of water).

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

MisterBibs posted:

You can use a pistachio shell as a key to unlock insufficiently cracked/ side cracked pistachios. Put the tip in, and twist.

I shudder to think how many I shrugged as unopenable over the course of my life.

Thinking about pistachios, do they still sell the red ones anywhere? I haven't seen any for ages. It's something about how they used to be dyed to cover up imperfections, but now that all pistachios are flawless, I guess, they just sell regular color ones. Which is fine by me, just wondering if there are some places that don't have immaculate natural pistachios.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

bongwizzard posted:

Also I just figured out that the ends of the recoil spring in my lawnmower are now so soft from repeated repair attempts that they bend loose and slip after one or two starts. Only took me about 4 1/2 hours of loving with it to come to this conclusion, but I guess I'm really good at rebuilding the pull start assembly now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL6QJSdqlt0

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I.C. posted:

Thinking about pistachios, do they still sell the red ones anywhere? I haven't seen any for ages. It's something about how they used to be dyed to cover up imperfections, but now that all pistachios are flawless, I guess, they just sell regular color ones. Which is fine by me, just wondering if there are some places that don't have immaculate natural pistachios.
You can still get red pistachios (and delicious Iranian pistachios, which can be one and the same) in Canada, I believe. I know I saw them there not that long ago.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Ferrule posted:

I know the etymology. I have never heard anyone call a vehicle a "ute" that wasn't a car sized thing with a tray at the back.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

mind the walrus posted:

Don't go trusting captive frogs
Please stick to the lizards and the snakes that you're used to

this was really good

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Ferrule posted:

Ute is short for 'utility vehicle' but generally speaking only cars that have an open back that you put things in are called utes.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Hyperlynx posted:

I know the etymology. I have never heard anyone call a vehicle a "ute" that wasn't a car sized thing with a tray at the back.

I work occasionally on goods vehicle certification in Australia.

There's the 'style side' ute where the tray is integrated with the passenger cabin and the 'cab-chassis' ute where the passenger cabin is separate to the tray and the tray can be swapped for other purpose made bodies with toolboxes, refridgerated storage, etc. "Ute" can be used for 2WD vehicles but also the part time 4WD with transfer case type of ute with more ground clearance.

Traditionally Australians would only use 'truck' to describe something over 4.5t GVM which requires a light rigid license rather than the standard drivers license for passenger cars. Whereas Americans seem to use 'truck' for things like F150 you can drive with a standard passenger car license.

The 2WD Australian made utes are disappearing and the design rules for vehicles are being harmonised with international regulations so we're seeing more manufacturers selling utes in Australia. In the marketing and literature you're seeing 'pickup' and 'truck' used a lot more for what most people consider to be utes and that upsets people as creeping Americanisation.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Pocket Billiards posted:

In the marketing and literature you're seeing 'pickup' and 'truck' used a lot more for what most people consider to be utes and that upsets people as creeping Americanisation.

fu australia no need to get salty just because no one wants to use your stupid made up words

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I see some australian guy saying 'utes' fifty times in a paragraph Im going to assume its a racial slur of some kind

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

purple death ray posted:

I see some australian guy saying 'utes' fifty times in a paragraph Im going to assume its a racial slur of some kind

It is a Native American tribe

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

https://youtu.be/B1QpyGa61zs

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

syscall girl posted:

SUVs (or utes, if you like)
SUVs are not utes.

Leavemywife posted:

The phrase is "deep-seated" not "deep-seeded". I thought it was the latter because it made sense to think that certain things were deeply planted within someone (i.e., a deep-seeded fear of heights, or a deep-seeded fear of water).
https://brians.wsu.edu/common-errors/ is a good list of these types of mistakes.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

SUVs are not utes.

I guess?

The 'U' is for utility though.

But I get what you mean.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

ladron posted:

fu australia no need to get salty just because no one wants to use your stupid made up words

Call them what you like in your own countries, but if you want to sell them here then they're utes :australia:

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

'ute' is etymologically derived from 'utility' but is not synonymous.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
SUVs have a wagon style body.

Toyota had branded the Hilux Ute as an 'Action Utility Vehicle' a while back, which was pretty hokey.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I'm honestly surprised no one has made a My Cousin Vinny reference yet.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Rollersnake posted:

I'm honestly surprised no one has made a My Cousin Vinny reference yet.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Now I kind a want to look and see what it would cost to get one of these Australian El Camino's imported into the US, but I already suspect it's going to be way more expensive than the novelty value of one would be worth.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
GM almost made a US model a few years ago (they had been bringing over the sedan version as a Pontiac fora few years.) Would've also been branded as a Pontiac, but then they axed Pontiac.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Delivery McGee posted:

GM almost made a US model a few years ago (they had been bringing over the sedan version as a Pontiac fora few years.) Would've also been branded as a Pontiac, but then they axed Pontiac.

To be honest, I would love a modern El Camino style vehicle. I'm a single person, and it would be nice to be able to haul larger things without having to enlist someone's truck. As it stands I rarely have a passenger so the other 3 seats aren't used often.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I can't believe I just figured out that a belt for men's slacks is more than just decorative.

I have had long term relationships with men, lived with men, have tons of male friends, hang out on the internet with men, and this never dawned on me until now.

Of course I've worn belts with pants and jeans, but there wasn't an appreciable difference in pants-hitching needed unless the garment in question was too big to begin with. So that's what I figured the point was, if not as an accessory, a belt is for making ill-fitting pants less annoying.

It finally hit me when I realized men's slacks are generally not made of stretchy fabric. I have some non-stretchy slacks too, but I don't need a belt 'cause my hips hold them up. But a dude probably isn't gonna have my waist/hip ratio, so a belt makes the whole slacks-wearing experience more convenient.

Dang. :downs:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

That STP isn't going back out on tour

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

KoRMaK posted:

That STP isn't going back out on tour

Neither is Linkin Park

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Xibanya posted:

I can't believe I just figured out that a belt for men's slacks is more than just decorative.

I have had long term relationships with men, lived with men, have tons of male friends, hang out on the internet with men, and this never dawned on me until now.

Of course I've worn belts with pants and jeans, but there wasn't an appreciable difference in pants-hitching needed unless the garment in question was too big to begin with. So that's what I figured the point was, if not as an accessory, a belt is for making ill-fitting pants less annoying.

It finally hit me when I realized men's slacks are generally not made of stretchy fabric. I have some non-stretchy slacks too, but I don't need a belt 'cause my hips hold them up. But a dude probably isn't gonna have my waist/hip ratio, so a belt makes the whole slacks-wearing experience more convenient.

So you thought the pants held up the belt and just realised that the belt holds up the pants?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Xibanya posted:

:words: belts :words;
Suspenders are going to blow your mind.

It's a shame men can't wear them visibly without looking like a city hipster appropriating Americana workwear, because those things are so much better than a belt. Bending down with a much lower chance of asscrack? Yes please. Not having to adjust pants constantly? Yes please. No more belts wearing out the holes from overuse? Yes please. Wearing them under my scrub top changed my entire work experience.

Then again I am rapidly becoming an old, so maybe I should just roll with it. :getin:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Xibanya posted:

Don't feel bad; for a long time I thought collar stays were in the same category as the pins in a new dress shirt. :v:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Men could go beltless if they could live with putting their phone, keys and wallet and whatever else in a purse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

mind the walrus posted:

Suspenders are going to blow your mind.

It's a shame men can't wear them visibly without looking like a city hipster appropriating Americana workwear, because those things are so much better than a belt. Bending down with a much lower chance of asscrack? Yes please. Not having to adjust pants constantly? Yes please. No more belts wearing out the holes from overuse? Yes please. Wearing them under my scrub top changed my entire work experience.

Then again I am rapidly becoming an old, so maybe I should just roll with it. :getin:

I wore suspenders regularly for a couple years when I worked in construction sites, they are absolutely amazing, other then the fact that they sort of require you to tuck your shirt in.