Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

Can Am would be IMSA/CART in some ways I assume?

Definitely IMSA, possibly CART depending on how you define things and how you look at development of teams and drivers. Second gen Can-Am also used adapted F5000 cars so there's a bit of a link there too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

FuzzySkinner posted:

Can Am would be IMSA/CART in some ways I assume?

The CanAm 90% of people talk about is not really comparable to anything.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It's just wacky races but irl. 1986 champion Horst Kroll ran a famously crooked garage near my house when I was growing up.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but at Toronto Marco Andretti finished fourth, his best finish of 2017. It is his first top-five finish since he finish third at Auto Club Speedway in June of 2015.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Rahal open to taking Taku back for their second car, which is dependent on Andretti switching so they could get an engine.

quote:

“As I’ve said all along, whoever is in the second car, it’s gotta be a competitive race car. A guy like Taku, we have a lot of warm feelings having worked with him a number of years ago. Hinchcliffe is on the market. If I look at the driver, you look at what combination works, and there’s other guys out there. Those two would get along. There’s even Oriol, who works very well with the team.

“There’s a number of options, so the goal is to get the most competitive guy you can get.”

http://motorsports.nbcsports.com/2017/07/19/rll-working-towards-bmw-renewal-indycar-second-car/

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Shameless plug for the Toronto edition of my Behind the Numbers article series

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I thought Graham hated Sato.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/2018-indycar-universal-aerokit-chris-beatty

Small write up about the design considerations going into the new universal aero kit.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bentai posted:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/2018-indycar-universal-aerokit-chris-beatty

Small write up about the design considerations going into the new universal aero kit.

I think the number placement is wrong in those mockups. Should be on the element in front of the rear wheel, not on the rear wing.

But ooooooh those look sexy with an actual paint scheme on them and not just a render.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

iospace posted:

I think the number placement is wrong in those mockups. Should be on the element in front of the rear wheel, not on the rear wing.

Yup.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

iospace posted:

But ooooooh those look sexy with an actual paint scheme on them and not just a render.

Def two sets of rear wheel ramps now, but at least it makes sense. Before it looked like they were a tiny tiny bit different, now its clear that the roadcourse/short oval pods have a big ramp and high downforce levels, while the speedway pods are much more 'flat topped' and low drag.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Pruett/Miller podcast is mostly about the sillyseason. Lots of intriguing stuff going on, gonna be some huge changes in the offseason. As before, basically everyone not at Penske is essentially in musical chairs mode.

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/142439-podcast-the-week-in-indycar-silly-season-edition

They seem to think Andretti going to Chevy is a bit of a done deal.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So question, considering the Milwaukee Mile is all but dead and won't likely come back, how open would New Hampshire be to a return for IndyCar?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

iospace posted:

So question, considering the Milwaukee Mile is all but dead and won't likely come back, how open would New Hampshire be to a return for IndyCar?

quote:

RaceDayCT: Is there any thought of revisiting IndyCar?
McGrath: Too early to say. Sure there is. Things change. Last time they were here was not a success, but their product has gotten better. It’s changed. Do I think New England would support it? Based on what I saw and the interest with what was going on in Boston with that defunct Grand Prix, I think there’s something there. I’m not overly excited on what those costs may be just yet. I don’t know enough about that yet to understand. But it’s certainly something we could think about. I’m open to it.

http://racedayct.com/2017/07/qa-with-new-hampshire-motor-speedway-general-manager-david-mcgrath/

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Slight nonsensical rambling here, but with the news that F1 will be running the halo next season, I kind of hope it eventually tanks the F1 video game sales to the point that Codemasters considers making an Indycar game.

(Seriously though, I do believe a high quality Indycar videogame would do wonders as far as encouraging new fans)

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Slight nonsensical rambling here, but with the news that F1 will be running the halo next season, I kind of hope it eventually tanks the F1 video game sales to the point that Codemasters considers making an Indycar game.

(Seriously though, I do believe a high quality Indycar videogame would do wonders as far as encouraging new fans)

I... I want you to show your work as to how halos in F1 cars will completely destroy sales for the F1 game. :psyduck:

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

I have amazing data. The best.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Spaced God posted:

I... I want you to show your work as to how halos in F1 cars will completely destroy sales for the F1 game. :psyduck:

He's the lord jesus christ as his avatar says, duh.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Fauxhawk Express posted:

IndyCars are going to be in Forza and Project Cars this year, but I don't think the series is neeeeearly popular enough to get their own game anymore.

Somewhat related, I realized I picked up a copy of the Dreamcast Flag2Flag game at some point. Think it was only $2 or so used here in Japan, which is my bar for "I'll by that for a joke."

willwc
Jan 1, 2006

Who's got the ball?
Yo shawty, it's the B-back

KingShibby posted:

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but at Toronto Marco Andretti finished fourth, his best finish of 2017. It is his first top-five finish since he finish third at Auto Club Speedway in June of 2015.

Just wanted to point out that, by my count, 24 different drivers had top-fives during that stretch. That list includes guys like Ryan Briscoe, Justin Wilson (:(), and Gabby Chaves; and multiple top-fives for Sage Karam, JR Hildebrand, and Conor Daly, among others.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Several of which were, to put it mildly, not in Andretti equipment.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

harperdc posted:

IndyCars are going to be in Forza and Project Cars this year, but I don't think the series is neeeeearly popular enough to get their own game anymore.

Somewhat related, I realized I picked up a copy of the Dreamcast Flag2Flag game at some point. Think it was only $2 or so used here in Japan, which is my bar for "I'll by that for a joke."

I beat that recently. It's a good game but I struggled on the short ovals.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Spaced God posted:

Look buddy he's the LUNATIC FRINGE he doesn't have to explain anything.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Good article on IndyCar's cockpit protection. Gonna be on track this year, although doesnt sound like it will be shown to the public until its ready to go. Supposed to look good and be "modest in size" compared to the Ferrari shield. Sounds like they are on the right road to me.

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/142457-indycar-on-track-for-cockpit-safety-device-test

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/jimayello/status/888468103604076548

Man Joe Gibbs sucks.

/Won't let Tony Stewart run Indianapolis. Even in 2004 when Foyt had his car.
//Wouldn't let Tony Stewart run dirt track stuff so he had to drive under an assumed name
///Won't Let Kyle Busch run Indianapolis, but WILL Let his ruin XFinity race weekends.

:negative:

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

FuzzySkinner posted:

https://twitter.com/jimayello/status/888468103604076548

Man Joe Gibbs sucks.

/Won't let Tony Stewart run Indianapolis. Even in 2004 when Foyt had his car.
//Wouldn't let Tony Stewart run dirt track stuff so he had to drive under an assumed name
///Won't Let Kyle Busch run Indianapolis, but WILL Let his ruin XFinity race weekends.

:negative:

Joe Gibbs is the poster child for NASCAR elitism

Also I know it's a year old, but let's all flashback to this Twitter :turianass: gem :turianass:

https://twitter.com/FordPerformance/status/756569101020106752

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Nose cam and rear cams will be integrated into the 2018 bodywork.

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/142465-new-in-car-cameras-part-of-indycar-s-2018-kit

Also:

quote:

Another advancement Greene has in mind for 2018, but might take a little while to implement, :siren:is the use of the new HD helmet camera with every driver in the field.:siren: At present, the live helmet cameras that debuted during May's Indy 500 have been reserved for a small driver rotation while the units undergo development.

"What I'm working on now, and whether it's available next year, I wouldn't bet on it at this moment, but we want the helmet cams on every driver," Greene added. "We want to get to a point where every time a car is on track, we have all of the camera views available, not just on the six or eight cars like we have now."

:getin:

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Holy poo poo, yes!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:hellyeah:

The front and rear cameras should finally allow people to stop whining about the whole "ROTATING CAMERAS SUCK".

Helmet cams are only cool and good, nothing else.

Well, once they get the bugs worked out :dadjoke:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Speaking of new cars:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A8CBjC_A0g&t=95s

The test WILL be open to the public. :getin:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Since the test on the 25th, then the parts are all made and probably already on a car somewhere I would guess?

Cmon someone at Schmidt, leak da pic.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cygni posted:

Since the test on the 25th, then the parts are all made and probably already on a car somewhere I would guess?

Cmon someone at Schmidt, leak da pic.

I'm pretty sure they haven't even seen it yet, but I look forward to the covers coming off :allears: (then again, who isn't).

Also, I think we'll definitely see a new driver at Ganassi next year. Namely one Felix Rosenqvist.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Yeah I'm just a huge fan of that guy. I guess it would probably depend on whether Ganassi has the funding, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's Ganassi's first choice if they have a second funded car alongside Dixon.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
The 2018 cars are impounded at Dallara in Speedway, nobody but Dallara and IndyCar has access to them. I really wanna go on Tuesday but Tuesday's are always my busiest day of the week at work :argh:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

KingShibby posted:

The 2018 cars are impounded at Dallara in Speedway, nobody but Dallara and IndyCar has access to them. I really wanna go on Tuesday but Tuesday's are always my busiest day of the week at work :argh:

Tell them it's for your other job? :downs:

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

iospace posted:

Tell them it's for your other job? :downs:

It's only a job if I get paid for it :smith:

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
That sounds like prime sick day excuse right there

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Just saying.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I don't because it was a free day off this year because vendor suite and my boss was going too. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Crosspost from the NASCAR thread, but IMS is the best
https://twitter.com/NASCARonNBC/status/888787867173912576

• Locked thread