Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i want to see some kind of super-mode mimasaka where he's using things from everyone he's ever traced but he goes into a coma for a week afterward from touching the akashic record of cooking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

No joke, I'd read a manga with Mimisaka as the main character

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Arist posted:

No joke, I'd read a manga with Mimisaka as all the characters

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Arist posted:

No joke, I'd read a manga with Mimisaka as the main character

It's funny how nearly every character in the series would be a better main than Souma.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's awesome how Mimisaka went from a complete jerk to a supremely funny character.

Mimisaka is a bro now.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
In fact, if I had a brother, Mimisaka could probably PERFECT TRACE him to become an even better version of him.

I hope Mimisaka wins so he can keep on serving as a support-type character who provides everyone else with backup.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Hate-Senpai posted:

It's awesome how Mimisaka went from a complete jerk to a supremely funny character.

Mimisaka is a bro now.

He was pretty funny even when he was a jerk, so it wasn't a huge shift.

I would 100% read a Mimasaka spinoff. It would make for a great gag manga.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Begemot posted:

it doesn't feature mimasaka but as the series goes on you start to notice that something's become a bit off about a few of the characters

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

Best boy. This is still one of the best moments in this entire series.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

AHH I FORGOT

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Begemot posted:

I'd love to see a 4koma of all of the big SNS scenes redone with Mimasaka as everyone

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i NEED him to trace azami so i can see mimasaka doing the azami horror manga art face

Aug 24, 2011

Hate-Senpai posted:

In fact, if I had a brother, Mimisaka could probably PERFECT TRACE him to become an even better version of him.

I hope Mimisaka wins so he can keep on serving as a support-type character who provides everyone else with backup.

the fat aldini brother becomes depressed that the thin aldini has gone on holiday or something

to cheer him up, mimasaka becomes the thin aldini once again

this would be the greatest extra

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I really, really hope there's some way to wind the powercreep back after Azami gets booted out

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Would you prefer amnesia arc or time skip?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Virtue posted:

Would you prefer amnesia arc or time skip?

Jouichirou cooks them a celebratory meal so lovely it wipes the last month from their memories

Also there's now footage of the dub out in the wild: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H54H0Geq03s

Cast list is here so someone with more dub knowledge than I do can say why it's great/the worst thing ever: http://www.sentaifilmworks.com/news/food-wars-english-dub-full-cast-list

E: v They already have seeded at least one more arc in BLUE whenever that happens and there are some unresolved plot threads the author says he's planned to get to, particularly with Souma's mom. v

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jul 20, 2017

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
... does the manga need to continue after Azami gets booted?

I mean, it feels like everything right now is coming to a pretty definitive end. Once Soma and the gang beat this shokugeki they'll take all the Elite Ten seats, and where do they go from there? They'll be at the top of the school. What, are they gonna take on challengers for the seats? How is an underdog story gonna survive when the main character's now top dog?

What's more Azami's whole "only the best of the best deserve to cook" philosophy will be soundly crushed by Soma's "experiment in the kitchen and love what you do" philosophy, which has been the two competing ideals since the manga started, even before that with the one shot, so once one is proven better than the other there's really nothing the manga has left to do.

200+ chapters is a good run for a cooking manga.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

TheKingofSprings posted:

Jouichirou cooks them a celebratory meal so lovely it wipes the last month from their memories

Also there's now footage of the dub out in the wild: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H54H0Geq03s

Cast list is here so someone with more dub knowledge than I do can say why it's great/the worst thing ever: http://www.sentaifilmworks.com/news/food-wars-english-dub-full-cast-list

E: v They already have seeded at least one more arc in BLUE whenever that happens and there are some unresolved plot threads the author says he's planned to get to, particularly with Souma's mom. v

It's Sentai, so my expectations are low. That said, I recognize a few names.

e: not giving me a clip of Jad Saxton as Megumi is criminal, and I'm not even sure it's a good casting choice

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Arist posted:

It's Sentai, so my expectations are low. That said, I recognize a few names.

e: not giving me a clip of Jad Saxton as Megumi is criminal, and I'm not even sure it's a good casting choice

Agreed. The Onsen/Table Tennis OVA recently came out I guess and it reminded my why I liked Megumi so much. There's been more Rindou and Alice lately so it's been tougher to remember that she is one of the Elite 3 Best Girls.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I mean, it feels like everything right now is coming to a pretty definitive end. Once Soma and the gang beat this shokugeki they'll take all the Elite Ten seats, and where do they go from there? They'll be at the top of the school. What, are they gonna take on challengers for the seats? How is an underdog story gonna survive when the main character's now top dog?

What's more Azami's whole "only the best of the best deserve to cook" philosophy will be soundly crushed by Soma's "experiment in the kitchen and love what you do" philosophy, which has been the two competing ideals since the manga started, even before that with the one shot, so once one is proven better than the other there's really nothing the manga has left to do.

I mean, it would be nice to see Megumi and other members of the cast get to do more and develop. The manga doesn't always have to be about the Food Wars of Souma Shokugeki, you know?

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

There's no way the franchise is done even if this particular manga ends. There's at the very least going to be a spinoff manga or a time skip sequel.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Complete the series, have Erina and Souma hook up, and we can have a sequel called Shokugeki no Nakiri, featuring Shokugeki Nakiri, the daughter of Souma Shokugeki and Nakiri Erina.

Aug 24, 2011

timeskip but mimasaka is now everything including the people, ingredients, buildings etc.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

SatansBestBuddy posted:

They already set up that tournament Jouchirou flaked out on as the endgame. I suspect we'll get a globetrotting arc too.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

where the red fern gropes posted:

timeskip but mimasaka is now everything including the people, ingredients, buildings etc.

It's taking Tsukasa's cooking to a whole new level. Mimisaka lets the ingredients shine, but he is also the ingredients.

He is the cook, the food, and the taster.

He is the judge, jury, and executioner.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Hate-Senpai posted:

I mean, it would be nice to see Megumi and other members of the cast get to do more and develop. The manga doesn't always have to be about the Food Wars of Souma Shokugeki, you know?

I actually like the downtime moments more than the fights tbh

The only really dynamic competitions have been Souma facing Erina in the buffet competition, Souma vs. Kuga and Takumi vs. Mimasaka, every other fight feels like it gets decided in the equivalent of a single punch. Character interaction is one of the strongest parts of the series to me and it seems like that shines a lot more outside of the cookoffs. Not that I hate any of the cooking challenges, just that they work best when one or both of the competitors needs to adapt to some unforeseen circumstance in the middle.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jul 20, 2017

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I just wish you had stuff like 2 judges voting for 1 dish and 1 judge voting for the other, to at least show you that there was some measure of closeness between the skills of the cooks, but I don't think that stuff ever happened.

Or maybe it did and I just don't remember.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Hate-Senpai posted:

I just wish you had stuff like 2 judges voting for 1 dish and 1 judge voting for the other, to at least show you that there was some measure of closeness between the skills of the cooks, but I don't think that stuff ever happened.

Or maybe it did and I just don't remember.

Afaik it happened one time with Kurokiba and Hayama with the fifth judge throwing her hands up and picking neither

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh right, that's why they had the 3-way battle.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hate-Senpai posted:

Complete the series, have Erina and Souma hook up, and we can have a sequel called Shokugeki no Nakiri, featuring Shokugeki Nakiri, the daughter of Souma Shokugeki and Nakiri Erina.

I dunno if you're joking, but Souma's name isn't Shokugeki, shokugekis are the competitions they do. His name is Yukihira Souma.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I love reading my favorite Manga, One Piece, starring Monkey D. One Piece

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I miss looking forward to Nisekoi's hijinks every week. Nisekoi sure was a popular guy.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Ytlaya posted:

I dunno if you're joking, but Souma's name isn't Shokugeki, shokugekis are the competitions they do. His name is Yukihira Souma.

it's loving zep what do you think

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Futaba Anzu posted:

it's loving zep what do you think

Hate-Senpai posted:

Shokugeki Souma and the Crazy Cooking Competition or Souma Shokugeki and the Crazy Cooking Competition depending on how the whole first name, last name thing works out.

Futaba Anzu posted:

Shokugeki isn't Souma's last name, that's the name of the gourmet battles they engage in.

The irony.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

zep fuckin sucks

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

wow

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

i can't belive i'm going to kill zerp, in real life

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Murder is illegal, friend.

Aug 24, 2011

Hate-Senpai posted:

Murder is illegal, friend.

in the hopes of mastering the heart of central's cuisine, rindou prepares to cook azami's actual heart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

where the red fern gropes posted:

in the hopes of mastering the heart of central's cuisine, rindou prepares to cook azami's actual heart
:black101: "ONLY THE BEST INGREDIENTS" :fsn: