Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Braksgirl posted:

So, we're looking for someone who is pretty good at photography to be on our podcast. It would be about tips for amateurs to get good photos at Disney. Bottom Liner? Anyone?

I'm not a pro or anything, but people liked my Instagrams from my WDW trip. I am a semi-pro voice guy though with a pro setup.

http://www.instagram.com/cartoons101youtube
Scroll down a bit and you'll hit Disney pretty quickly. The whole account starts with a WDW trip so just go to the bottom and work up.

I also shot this video there and have gotten compliments on the filming. https://youtu.be/q5V9ITtzH-0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Hachi-Machi! I just realized I got to prep an emergency trip to the parks before the closure of TGMR and Ellen.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Bottom Liner posted:

A one-off or ongoing segment? I have a studio mic and all, but not sure if I could commit to anything ongoing at the moment, happy to do a one time feature or something similar.

Just a one time thing.

Our podcast isn't super pro. We use Google Hangouts to record. It would basically be a half hour to 45 minute episode where we would casually chat about amateur photography.

Braksgirl fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 17, 2017

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Cool, send me an email at defeldus @ gmail.

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008
Husband admitted last night that he'd love to go back to WDW sometime just the two of us, so the planning starts!

Any suggestions for resorts/areas within resorts that are on the monorail line (so, Deluxes) with the least amount of kids? We'd be looking to go at the deadest time of year (like end of January or somesuch).

He really enjoyed the Disney Bubble last trip - both of us grew up in CA and went to DL all the time, but never stayed on property. I'm looking to do another Bubble trip just for the two of us, and do some of the more off-the-beaten-path experiences. But first... which resort?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grand Floridian. Contemporary has too many kids imho.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I've honestly found the kid density to be about the same at all 3 deluxe resorts. Pick your favorite decor between the 3 and go from there. Poly might be the best for drinking if you all enjoy trader Sam's or lapu lapu

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Yeah it's Disney. Kids are everywhere.

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008
I'm not expecting or demanding a child-free experience, I'm well aware that WDW is a kid-trap. I just want to minimize the exposure, as much as is reasonably feasible. I'm not a fool.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

When I was at the Poly back in May, I didn't think it was too kid dense, especially if you stayed away from the main pool area.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/panzer/status/886993296496762882

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

:stonk::stonk::stonk::stonk::stonk:

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Doesn't look like anything to me

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I was waiting for the eyes to stare at the camera.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

I keep forgetting to say this but thanks to braksgirl and the dolewhip podcast. Recommended the cast to them on the hotels were a big help to some family members who had trouble deciding where to stay. They told me hearing people talk about them, rather than just a webpage listing info, made it more personal and real.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Quixotic1 posted:

I keep forgetting to say this but thanks to braksgirl and the dolewhip podcast. Recommended the cast to them on the hotels were a big help to some family members who had trouble deciding where to stay. They told me hearing people talk about them, rather than just a webpage listing info, made it more personal and real.

I'm so glad we could help! Where did they end up staying?

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams
My dining reservations open up on Friday, and while we still haven't decided exactly where we want to go yet, can anyone give me a quick rundown of the top few restaurants that I should be booking first before working down the rest of my list? Like I know that BOG will be way harder to get than Skipper's Canteen or Restaurant Marrakesh, but I'm not sure what other properties will be tough to get a rez for and I should prioritize.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

If you want Cali Grill or Ohana around fireworks time, those can be tough to get. The Bon Voyage Breakfast at Trattoria al Forno can be a difficult one too.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hardest to get:
BOG
CRT
Akershus
Ohana
Tony's town square festival of fantasy (seriously)
Rivers of light packages

With Cali Grill you can dine at anytime and come back later to watch the fireworks if you want.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Speaking of, I highly recommend Cali Grill. Still the best dining experience we've had on property. Tiffins is a close second and almost always has spots available. though Pandora might have changed that during peak times.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's still always available; apparently its like one of the bottom 3 for visitors which is odd when you consider AK literally only has 2 restaurants

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
And that Tiffins is so universally praised. Has Nomad Lounge been a lot busier due to Pandora? I'm hoping no one discovers my favorite place to drink and lounge.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Empress Brosephine posted:

It's still always available; apparently its like one of the bottom 3 for visitors which is odd when you consider AK literally only has 2 restaurants
You can generally roll into Restaurant Marrakesh without a reservation, and it's the best drat restaurant at Disney.

(I haven't eaten everywhere yet, but I've hit a heck of a lot of them over the years.)

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Braksgirl posted:

I'm so glad we could help! Where did they end up staying?

They ended up choosing the Boardwalk after falling in love with the pier(they loved the amc show) and they are going to the water parks so stormalong didn't entice them.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
I love Tiffins but can see why it has some trouble attracting theme park folks, it's a shame as the servers always seem to be super nice.That said my family lives Yak and Yeti as well, never really had a bad meal there.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
It's really good but it's menu is a bit... "Exotic" which keeps people from trying it. Same thing with Skipper Canteen. Which is all a shame because it's so nice to have restaurants that don't serve the same basic 5 dishes.

Also...
http://twitter.com/cchard/status/887454269271617536

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008

Zero One posted:

It's really good but it's menu is a bit... "Exotic" which keeps people from trying it. Same thing with Skipper Canteen. Which is all a shame because it's so nice to have restaurants that don't serve the same basic 5 dishes.

I thought that the meal I had at Skipper's Canteen was the best one of my trip, after brunch at the California Grill.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

poolside toaster posted:

I thought that the meal I had at Skipper's Canteen was the best one of my trip, after brunch at the California Grill.

Me too! The tigerfish entree is great

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Just learned that the in-laws are DVC members, what's the best way for me to explore,expand,exploit, upon this newfound knowledge.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Quixotic1 posted:

Just learned that the in-laws are DVC members, what's the best way for me to explore,expand,exploit, upon this newfound knowledge.

I am exceedingly glad you didn't do the other X

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

J33uk posted:

I am exceedingly glad you didn't do the other X

Disney already did that to their wallets after they signed the contract

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

WhiteHowler posted:

You can generally roll into Restaurant Marrakesh without a reservation, and it's the best drat restaurant at Disney.

(I haven't eaten everywhere yet, but I've hit a heck of a lot of them over the years.)

Marrakesh loving owns and when I worked at wdw the discount on the food there was 50% I think, which brought it down to normal cheapie restaurant prices. gently caress yea.

Btw im headin out thar come november. Is party for the senses no longer a thing? I was told they dont do it anymore and as a first order hedonist I'm completely crushed.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nope they don't do it anymore from what I can see.

Oof I'm done working at WDW. That was a experience haha. Maybe I'll write it up and share some of the inside tips with you guys that can help. Nothing game changing but still.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Empress Brosephine posted:

Nope they don't do it anymore from what I can see.

Oof I'm done working at WDW. That was a experience haha. Maybe I'll write it up and share some of the inside tips with you guys that can help. Nothing game changing but still.

Man thats some BULLshit!!!

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wait they're doing it again just differently

http://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-world/epcot/food-wine-festival.htm

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

It apparently happened in 2016 but will not in 2017 as far as I can tell.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Quixotic1 posted:

I've always been a bit curious about DVC. I'm a young guy with waaaay too little cash to ever sincerely consider it, but how does it work and what's the benefit?

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

We have 150 points a year. Our home resort is Animal Kingdom. This means we can book a room in Animal Kingdom 11 months out, and all other DVC resorts 7 months out.

A studio (smallest room in DVC) at Grand Floridian would cost me 20 points on a weekend night, and 17 on a weeknight in September.
Same room at Old Key West is 13 and 10.

So we usually get a week a year out of those 150 points.

The other difference in home resorts is how much the annual dues are. If I was buying into DVC now, I would pick the lowest annual dues, because I rarely know I'm going to need a room more than 7 months out, so the home resort advantage is meaningless.

Other benefits: Random DVC only events at the parks and resorts, some free. Discounts on dining and shopping. Sometimes they have discounts on Annual Passes.

It's a timeshare. The reason I said yes to my wife after saying no to multiple other timeshares is, Disney isn't going broke due to a bad global recession and selling off their resorts.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams
Got all the dining reservations I wanted at the times I wanted them, aaaaand I managed to talk my travel partner into going to Morimoto Asia with me, despite the fact that she is not an adventurous eater (Olive Garden is her favorite restaurant, so yeah...). I just had to promise to do the balloon thing at DS. Oh gee shucks.

Only things I couldn't get were a Rivers Of Light package with my Tiffins reservation (Is that going away after October or something?) or a Fantasmic package at HS. Either Fantasmic is sold out, or they open that up at a later date?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

They haven't been opening up Rivers of Light packages for that late in the year yet. I have several October clients who want it and it's still not loaded in the system yet. Check back later for Fantasmic too.