Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

the answer is "being in ohio"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Speaking of caves, I went to Carlsbad Caverns in New Mexico years ago. It was one of the coolest experiences of my life. Definitely check out something like that, if you are able.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Lie face up on your couch after you've removed any pillows from it. Your legs can hang over, but make sure that your head is flat against the cushion.
Get as comfortable as you can, just relax.
Now push the back of your head in the crack between the cushion and the back of the couch, as far as it will go.
Stay there, and imagine you're stuck in an earthen crevice until someone rescues you, or you die.
If you have a good imagination and a healthy sense of fear, you won't last too long.

This is my way of saying I love and hate you all for the cave stories throughout this thread.

The Dickens
Mar 31, 2010
Longform buzzfeed article, three women and one woman's parents have spoken to Buzzfeed, telling them R. Kelly is keeping women in guarded apartments and won't allow them to contact their families.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/jimderogat...008K#.naV1qOOV1

Edit: A couple women's parents, not just one.

The Dickens has a new favorite as of 18:58 on Jul 17, 2017

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

yo rear end is grass posted:

Lie face up on your couch after you've removed any pillows from it. Your legs can hang over, but make sure that your head is flat against the cushion.
Now push the back of your head in the crack between the cushion and the back of the couch, as far as it will go.
Stay there, and imagine you're stuck in an earthen crevice until someone rescues you, or you die.
If you have a good imagination and a healthy sense of fear, you won't last too long.

This is my way of saying I love and hate you all for the cave stories throughout this thread.

Really enjoying the idea of a grown man doing this since I'm 100% sure you did. Bonus points if someone walks in on you with your rear end in the air and your head lodged in a couch like some sort of sad Winnie the Pooh

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
I got to go caving in Barbados this January. It was great fun, got to swim across an underground pond to get to the section we were crawling through, really neat formations... but there was one bit where we crawled through a section about 2 feet in diameter that had water running through the bottom six inches, as a rapid stream, and we were in total darkness. They turned our lights off so we could experience what it was like. I am not at all claustrophobic, but boy was I glad to see the light at the end. I kept thinking the water was rising even though I knew it wasn't, and it felt like the tunnel was getting narrower and narrower. I can't imagine how terrified I would have been if I had actually become stuck.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Aesop Poprock posted:

Really enjoying the idea of a grown man doing this since I'm 100% sure you did. Bonus points if someone walks in on you with your rear end in the air and your head lodged in a couch like some sort of sad Winnie the Pooh

lmao, :same:

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Bonster posted:

I got to go caving in Barbados this January. It was great fun, got to swim across an underground pond to get to the section we were crawling through, really neat formations... but there was one bit where we crawled through a section about 2 feet in diameter that had water running through the bottom six inches, as a rapid stream, and we were in total darkness. They turned our lights off so we could experience what it was like. I am not at all claustrophobic, but boy was I glad to see the light at the end. I kept thinking the water was rising even though I knew it wasn't, and it felt like the tunnel was getting narrower and narrower. I can't imagine how terrified I would have been if I had actually become stuck.

There is a part in one of the more touristy caves I have gone to where its an underground pool of water with a small passage to the other section, which is easy enough but there is a fan of rock that basically rubs along your neck as you go through. The call it the decapitation chamber.

(You can also submerge and swim under it but most people are not down for that.)

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Telsa Cola posted:

There is a part in one of the more touristy caves I have gone to where its an underground pool of water with a small passage to the other section, which is easy enough but there is a fan of rock that basically rubs along your neck as you go through. The call it the decapitation chamber.

(You can also submerge and swim under it but most people are not down for that.)

Sounds like you're describing a sump
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sump_(cave)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

The Dickens posted:

Longform buzzfeed article, three women and one woman's parents have spoken to Buzzfeed, telling them R. Kelly is keeping women in guarded apartments and won't allow them to contact their families.

There's a joke about Trapped in the Closet here.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

djssniper posted:

Sounds like you're describing a sump
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sump_(cave)

Almost, the part is not completely submerged and you can just shimmy your way through the passage depending on the water level.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Aesop Poprock posted:

No, lie face up and push the back of your head in. Duh.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Telsa Cola posted:

One I went to turned off all the lights and played low leopard/bear growls and noises while they described the probable cause of death for a young prehistoric boy who's jaw was found wedged deep in the cave without any other evidence of human activity.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

No, lie face up and push the back of your head in. Duh.

If I walked into a room and my roommate was laying on his back with his head shoved in the couch I'd probably feel like an intervention was necessary regardless of how calmly he was treating the situation

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Aesop Poprock posted:

If I walked into a room and my roommate was laying on his back with his head shoved in the couch I'd probably feel like an intervention was necessary regardless of how calmly he was treating the situation

Someone coming in and seeing you perform this experiment is like a rescuer finally finding you trapped underground. Try it! Bonus points if you refuse to move even though you're hungry and/or thirsty.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Okay so I'm enough of a goon to have tried this. I can report that all I could imagine was the words I've read about being stuck in a cave and wanting to die. It was terrifying and I have less understanding of cavedivers than ever.

Then my dumbass cat jumped on me and started purring and now the cave was collapsing at the rate of her purrs and then omg I met zombie lizard Jesus.

Then the shrooms wore off and I was an idiot trapped in a couch. More scared of caves than ever though, so good show.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

fizzymercy posted:

Okay so I'm enough of a goon to have tried this. I can report that all I could imagine was the words I've read about being stuck in a cave and wanting to die. It was terrifying and I have less understanding of cavedivers than ever.

Then my dumbass cat jumped on me and started purring and now the cave was collapsing at the rate of her purrs and then omg I met zombie lizard Jesus.

Then the shrooms wore off and I was an idiot trapped in a couch. More scared of caves than ever though, so good show.

I don't recommend trying it on drugs.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Imagine caving on shrooms or acid and getting stuck

Actually just imagine being that girl who got drunk and passed out in the Parisian catacombs and waking up in pure darkness and having no idea of where to go or what to do. And no one comes looking for you and you die terrified and disoriented. How the gently caress did that even happen?? Still probably the creepiest story I've read about

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

I really wish you'd mentioned that before now.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Aesop Poprock posted:

Actually just imagine being that girl who got drunk and passed out in the Parisian catacombs and waking up in pure darkness and having no idea of where to go or what to do. And no one comes looking for you and you die terrified and disoriented. How the gently caress did that even happen?? Still probably the creepiest story I've read about

taking a torch from the wall she spies row upon row of skeletons. grasping the nearest by the shoulders, she shakes it madly, yelling “my nigga have u tried lsd”

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cumslut1895 posted:

taking a torch from the wall she spies row upon row of skeletons. grasping the nearest by the shoulders, she shakes it madly, yelling “my nigga have u tried lsd”

Lmfao

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Or, just make an appointment for an MRI.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I feel like people who do this kind of poo poo never got their hand, feet, or head stuck in some poo poo as a kid. It is goddamn horrifying.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

ElGroucho posted:

I feel like people who do this kind of poo poo never got their hand, feet, or head stuck in some poo poo as a kid. It is goddamn horrifying.

I feel like it's not a negative to avoid catastrophic trauma as a child? I got my head stuck in a weird sweater and a weather drain as a kid and that didn't give me enough PTSD to avoid the couch diver illustration. Be more adventurous man.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

MightyJoe36 posted:

You'd have to be pretty loving fat to get wedged in an MRI machine.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Cumslut1895 posted:

:chanpop:

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

ElGroucho posted:

I got stuck in a front-load dryer as a kid. Parents took pictures, then got me out.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

MightyJoe36 posted:

I actually find MRI's super relaxing, I've fallen asleep in them before. Maybe the imaging units at the hospitals I've been to just have really good noise canceling headphones.

CT scans freak me out more, I just keep thinking "RADIATION!" Also, I had an allergic reaction to IV contrast dye they use and almost died :v:

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Hello friends, let's talk, once again, about
:ghost::ghost:GHOST FLIGHTS:ghost::ghost:

Wow, that sure was a long hiatus! Been a while. hosed if I’m going to read 2,000 posts to catch up, tho'. ITS MY THREAD I’LL DO WHAT I WANT :jiggled:

And what is a “ghost flight” you ask? You idiot, loving rube, it has been a while though. You can just read my post history, I guess, but I've helpfully linked each post below.

So! A Ghost Flight is what happens when a plane continues on, mid-flight, without any human intervention -- either because the crew has abandoned the plane, or has become incapacitated. The plane continues on until it runs out of fuel, and like all other plane crashes end, hit the ground.

Basically not as metal as this picture, but still pretty fuckin' metal

We talked first about the Lady Be Good, which is an example of crew abandonment. The plane was shot to poo poo, and the crew bailed out, believing the bomber had become a liability.

In practice, however, the plane ended up crashing some miles away (and a pretty survivable crash at that, judging the wreck that was found 15 years later) still full of water, rations, and survival gear. The crew, on the other hand (minus the one guy whose chute unfortunately did not open) were stuck in a desert with the very basics, and did not survive long enough to make it back to civilization. But hey, at least the survival gear survived!

"Ahhhh, I can get 'er going again!"

But the Lady Be Good was an out-of-control, wounded WWII B-24 Bomber, a ghost flight that lasted only 16 miles. Our second case, the 1999 South Dakota Learjet Crash, was a perfectly healthy Learjet with a modern autopilot installed. Originally bound for Dallas, Texas, a small leak led to a slow depressurization in the cabin, causing everyone aboard to succumb to hypoxia shortly after take-off. This is an example of a ghost flight caused by crew incapacitation (and one that was sustained by the autopilot until the plane ran out of fuel).

Translator's Note: Dallas is no where near South Dakota

Next, we discussed Hypoxia and You. The deadly combination of a slow leak causing oxygen starvation in the brain can impede an even experienced crew from performing emergency countermeasures.It’s actually the same reasons people turn into assholes while attempting to summit Mt. Everest, and why they often make incredibly bad judgement calls. When you’re in a jet at an altitude twice as high as Everest, you can begin to understand how terrifying cabin depressurization can be.

So terrifying there's not a picture for it, because you never see it coming.

For our third case, we covered Helios Flight 522, a flight in Greece that ended up going into a Part Two, and a Part Three. I started getting a little silly about then, but only because stripped of humor Part Three can be summed up as:

Literally Kermit posted:

Ghost Flights 3

There was a flight attendant who tried to regain control of Flight 522.

He failed.

He died screaming. No one knows if he screamed alone.

NEXT: AN AIRLINE GOES OUT OF BUSINESS, MASS LAYOFFS ABOUND

Anyway, all kidding aside, we'll go for a happy medium from here on out :jiggled:

That brings us up to speed with- what? You want to know what happened after Helios Flight 522? Alright, we'll close out with that, then talk about some other flights that are ghostly.

NEXT: Lucy, You Got Some 'Splainin' to Do

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

The Dickens posted:

Does not surprise me. Dude is a major creep.The tiny bit of respect I had for Lady Gaga went out of the window when she made a duet with this man titled "Do What You Want With My Body.". gently caress Hollywood and their cuddling of horrible celebrities.

Cumslut1895 posted:

I weep for the beauty of this post.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Aesop Poprock posted:

The catacombs are huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge and super easy to get lost in, from what I've read. I doubt you get reception down there either, so it makes sense that anyone who's inebriated especially could lose their way and wind up dying down there.

I almost got to see them when I was in France, but the catacombs weren't open on Tuesdays, the one day I could go. :(

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

If I remember correctly it was the Odessa catacombs that a girl died in and not the Paris ones.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

That Hypoxia and You post reminded me of that Smarter Every Day video where Dustin underwent hypoxia training. It's insane just how acutely his faculties leave him.

:what:: Alright sir, if you don't get on oxygen, you're gonna die.
:keke: *Doesn't put on mask*
:what:: Go to your regulator and get all three switches up.
:keke:: I don't wanna die...
:keke: *still does nothing*

Ugh. Just watching him become less and less articulate and dexterous made me feel a little lightheaded.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
Here's a real blast from the past: one of John Wayne Gacy's unidentified victims was finally identified. James Byron Haakenson, victim #24.

quote:

{NEWSER) – A Minnesota runaway has been identified as one of the victims of serial killer John Wayne Gacy, an Illinois sheriff's office announced in a Wednesday news release. Cook County Sheriff Tom Dart says that the remains of a person whose body was found under the crawl space of Gacy's Chicago-area home in 1978 are those of 16-year-old James "Jimmie" Byron Haakenson. The teenager had left his home in 1976 and was last heard from in August of that year when he called his mother and told her he was in Chicago. The Pioneer Press reports his mother reported him missing shortly thereafter, on Sept. 2. Gacy was convicted of killing 33 young men and was executed in 1994. Haakenson was one of eight of Gacy's victims who were buried without being identified.

Dart's office exhumed the remains of all eight in 2011 in an effort to identify them using DNA testing, reports the AP. Two siblings of the teen were among the scores of relatives of young men who vanished between 1970 and Gacy's 1978 arrest who submitted saliva samples at Dart's request. Dart says that there was a "strong genetic association" between the siblings and the teen's remains. Haakenson is the second of the eight victims to be identified. Months after Dart had the bodies exhumed, his office announced that it had identified one of the victims as William George Bundy, a 19-year-old construction worker. The investigation has also solved four cold cases that weren't related to Gacy. Read about some of those cases here and here.

That Damn Satyr has a new favorite as of 20:36 on Jul 19, 2017

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Literally Kermit posted:

Hello friends, let's talk, once again, about
:ghost::ghost:GHOST FLIGHTS:ghost::ghost:

Ghost flights!

Payne Stewart was not the only major name in sports to die in a hypoxia-related crash. LSU's head football coach died in what was likely a hypoxia accident. That one doesn't get talked about much now.

Bo Rein was hired after the 1979 college football season to become LSU's new football coach. Rein had been at North Carolina State, where he produced three straight winning seasons and had two bowl appearances in the days that not every college football team went to a bowl.

Rein was taking a recruiting trip in January 1980, flying only from Shreveport to Baton Rouge. The flight was scheduled to go just an hour, but the plane ran into bad weather and the pilot went east to avoid the system.

That was the last anyone heard from the plane.

Authorities were able to keep tracking it and it was spotted in North Carolina, more than 1,000 miles off course. The Air National Guard was able to fly next to it, but saw no one in the cabin. The ultimately crashed into the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of Virginia and the bodies were never recovered.

Times-Picayune posted:

Rein wanted he and Williams to fly up to Shreveport and back. [LSU assistant coach Greg] Willlams convinced Rein to drive together to Shreveport because the south Louisiana January fog would delay their departure and put them behind schedule.

Since Rein had to visit running back prospect Paul Ott Carruth early the next morning in Mississippi, the plan was for Rein to fly home at the end of the recruiting day in Shreveport while Williams would continue to recruit his assigned area.

"It really didn't hit me until several months later that I could have been on the plane if I would have agreed to Bo's plans," Williams said.

Times-Picayune posted:

couple of hours before sunrise, Williams was awakened by a phone call.

"It was the Shreveport police telling me to call Darrell Moody (another LSU assistant) at the football office," Williams recalled. "I didn't think it was 4 in the morning. I thought it was more like 1, so I called down there.

"Moody answers and the first thing he says to me is, 'Who was on the plane?' I said, 'The pilot and Bo. Darrell, what are you talking about?' He said, "Well, the plane crashed in the Atlantic Ocean.'

"I'm in Shreveport, Louisiana saying, 'The Atlantic Ocean? They were headed back to Baton Rouge. What the hell?' Then he told me Bo was dead.

"I hung up and I didn't know what to do. I knew my Dad lives on the East Coast. He gets up early and I knew he would be listening to the radio and watching TV. So I called him, woke him, and told him I wasn't on the plane.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

A Spider Covets posted:

The catacombs are huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge and super easy to get lost in, from what I've read. I doubt you get reception down there either, so it makes sense that anyone who's inebriated especially could lose their way and wind up dying down there.

They should've taken some LSD.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

They should've taken some LSD.

Or played Mazes and Monsters.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
What are catacombs, really, but the Ghost Flights of the ground? :ghost:

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

I have some photos of the Brno catacombs before they were reopened to the public. Huge piles of random bones everywhere, it was like a vision of hell. Pretty cool. I'll see if I can find my old sd card with them but it was like 10 years ago...

Edit: sorry lads, can't find it: will keep looking

NLJP has a new favorite as of 12:30 on Jul 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

NLJP posted:

I have some photos of the Brno catacombs before they were reopened to the public. Huge piles of random bones everywhere, it was like a vision of hell. Pretty cool. I'll see if I can find my old sd card with them but it was like 10 years ago...

The people who first, and unexpectedly, broke into that ossuary described it as "we probed a wall and skulls started pouring out of everywhere". Very metal.