Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
As one of the weirdos that gets involved in the stories of the players, I'm frustrated at how beyond the first 5-10 years careers seem to become haphazard, particularly for players in clubs the player managed but left.

For example a good USA regen playing in Mexican D2 that I brought to Columbus aged 20 progressed well and became a crucial part of three-peat MLS champion just vanished once I left the club. In the end he retired aged 28 with 35 caps, two MLS MVP wins, an award as best US player and best US youth (different seasons), and a career average of about a goal or an assist every two games, and in a whole bunch of club, league and country best 11/fan favorites etc. As far as I can tell he was just waivered by the manager after me to free up a designated player spot, and about six months later was automatically retired by the game, as nobody wanted to buy him.

If this were a one off or rare thing it could be a kind of fun quirk, a player at the top of his game who chose to retire for whatever reason. But sometimes it feels like these cases are too common, with players aged 25-31 retiring despite playing in the top division in high reputation countries as important members of good teams.

Any news if this will be improved in 2019?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Any player on a decent wage is going to have their career hosed if their star rating isn't high and their form dips and they get dropped. No AI managers touch them after that.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I've had a good summer transfer window and have successfully raised the average Anticipation, First Touch, Vision and Off The Ball of the first team squad in preparation for some tedious Swancelona possession football.

None of my attempts to make a tactic that does that have worked though so I'm going to keep banging it long to Jordan Ayew instead.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
So I'm in the Championship and I signed some former PL LB who is by far the best player on my team I'm paying him something like 900,000 pounds and he doesn't have a work permit which is a dumb Mistake by me but I just figured if you played last year he would be automatically able to play the following year so he's sitting on my bench eating up an absolutely massive amount of my transfer budget is there anything I can do to get him a work permit or am I just screwed in this situation? He is a current International I think he plays for Costa Rica or something

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jul 8, 2017

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Beaten 1-0 by Slovakian powerhouses Vootball Klub Trenchin in the first leg of the Europa League 3rd qualifying round.

Jordan Ayew had a mare.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
I actually think this years ME is one of the worst. I know last year was just wing backs bang in crosses to the near post -> win but this year it seems any normal formation used in football is significantly worse than cheese tactics using more than one shadow striker and/or inverted wing backs.
There's no point using a formation like a 4231/4141/442/433/451 (all as defined by the game) because retarded formations like a 343 with no actual striker roles do consistently do better. If you want to 'win' in this game (ie win CL/EL/cups/leagues) it seems like a lot of the regular formations just don't work. Obviously you can not use the cheese tactics but it feels punishing sometimes trying to play with popular real life tactics.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
There's always been cheese tactics.

And there's always been second season syndrome where using the same tactics makes your players unable to spot or play the same simple passes that were creating chance after chance six months earlier.

edit: Rejiggered my tactics to be amazing at creating clear chances and hitting the woodwork but definitely not any goals against Cypriot amateur sides. 13 shots on target against a milkman.

And they score with their only effort on target in the 92nd minute gently caress this.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 9, 2017

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Just signed a 40 year old Gigi Buffon for my Europa League winning Aberdeen side. Yasscomeon.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I one signed a fat old sad Ronaldinho 2 years in to my Premiership Millwall team. 7 pace....6 stamina....20 flair though god bless

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Aggression is my new favourite attribute for number tens.

They can be slow, dumb and untalented but with enough fire in their bellies they'll score goals making runs beyond the striker(s).

I re-did pre-season on my second season and cheated a couple of times in the first few PL games gently caress you Jamie Vardy you're not scoring just because the game wouldn't put my tactical tweaks into effect until you've been put through twice and now in mid-November I'm third and even with ten men am outplaying all-comers. Once morale is under control, possession football is cool and good.

Fat Sam's Palace broke my new winger's foot though.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Aw man he retired a before the season started and all he did was take wages for a month. Stupid Buffon.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Coohoolin posted:

Aw man he retired a before the season started and all he did was take wages for a month. Stupid Buffon.

He got a look at what life in Aberdeen would be like and decided retirement would be better.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

vyelkin posted:

He got a look at what life in Aberdeen would be like and decided retirement would be better.

Heh. I think I missed the info bit where he was retiring in the summer for whatever reason and the game didn't do the usual thing where a retiring player refuses to sign.

Luckily I've got a high potential Swedish keeper who'll be grand in the SPL. Now to sign a 33 year old Podolski for much higher wages than I can properly afford.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Ended a run of 4 games without a goal with a 5-1 bumming of Liverpool. Another Gylfi hattrick but first with no set pieces.

I could have been 3 down in the first 5 minutes it was a mad game.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
They fired Bielsa so fast afterwards the caretaker manager had to do the postgame interview.

edit: Almost as fast as I fired my chief scout when his Jan transfer window recommendations were Darren Fletcher and Johnny Evans. £4k a week for some man at the pub United-goggles.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jul 12, 2017

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Every. Goddamm. Winter.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Groin injuries wiped out 3 of my 4 first team midfielders so 35 year old Leon Britton returns to the fold for the EFL Cup final and I lose 2-0 to two Jermain Defoe counter attack goals.

3 days earlier was knocked out of Europe with a 2-0 loss and 4 days before that Arsenal knocked me out of the FA cup... 2-0.

Contemplating suicide.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jul 15, 2017

joe football
Dec 22, 2012

Investment banking in Holland is not very good

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I hate Real with their £38.5m in cash ready on deadline day to pay my ridiculous counter-offer.

Good news is I'll probably have the guy back in 12 months after he never plays there.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

sassassin posted:

I hate Real with their £38.5m in cash ready on deadline day to pay my ridiculous counter-offer.

Good news is I'll probably have the guy back in 12 months after he never plays there.

This is why any offers you're prepared to negotiate or accept you start scouting replacements IMMEDIATELY.

It's how I ended up signing a poo poo Nuri Sahin because I panicked and then was still able to get Adrien Rabiot on a pre-contract.

I also LOVE those bollocks middle eastern clubs that get all the good pre contracts because of massive wages. Enjoy wasting away in a poo poo league on 130k a week, Divock Origi and Tomas Rincon. Bah.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
It was okay in that he had a release clause that was going to be met one day anyway and I'd bought too many players for my champions league campaign (getting knocked out f the cup at the first attempt hasn't helped) but he was my best pure footballer and the pass and move football that gave Gylfi a 35 goal season and footballer of the year award is suffering as a result.

Got Marco Asensio from them for a steal but "runs with ball often" is an awful ppm so he kinda sucks.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Fabianski's agility has tanked in his early 30s it's nice to see the other attributes go up but that's a pretty important one and I don't think I can take another 4-0 loss to United before shipping him off to the old folks home.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

sassassin posted:

It was okay in that he had a release clause that was going to be met one day anyway and I'd bought too many players for my champions league campaign (getting knocked out f the cup at the first attempt hasn't helped) but he was my best pure footballer and the pass and move football that gave Gylfi a 35 goal season and footballer of the year award is suffering as a result.

Got Marco Asensio from them for a steal but "runs with ball often" is an awful ppm so he kinda sucks.

'runs with ball often' owns bones so long as they have dribbling and acc/pace > 16 imo

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
I love hate how transparent the game is when it decides that it wants you to lose.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Bogan Krkic posted:

'runs with ball often' owns bones so long as they have dribbling and acc/pace > 16 imo

It exists to make players run into tackles like loving idiots and trigger lethal counters. They don't need the ppm to run when running is appropriate.

Knocks ball past opponent is the amazing ppm for fast dribblers.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Asensio is one of the best players this year on FM, give him more of a chance

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Ragingsheep posted:

I love hate how transparent the game is when it decides that it wants you to lose.

RNG is a hell of a drug

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
What's up with young high potential players having their determination plummet for no apparent reason? Anyone else seeing this?

EDIT: Also there seems to have been a bug in my game and Brexit isn't happening. Shame, I was looking forward to the EPL implode because of work permits.

Coohoolin fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jul 21, 2017

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Ragingsheep posted:

Is it as transparent when the game wants you to win, or is that only happening because you've nailed it?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Coohoolin posted:

What's up with young high potential players having their determination plummet for no apparent reason? Anyone else seeing this?

poo poo tutors?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

eleven extra elephants posted:

Asensio is one of the best players this year on FM, give him more of a chance

A lot of good attributes and high potential but not translating into good performances in any position I use unfortunately. Poor starting Off the ball limits him in attack, and no defensive ability means I can't select him deeper (not that any of my squad can defend at all).

Berardi's also a wasteman, fortunately I let the board negotiate when he was transfer listed and the got an insane deal on his contract. No release clause and like half what I would have had to offer myself.

Made him my penalty taker to keep him in the goals and stop being depressed and he missed two in a row.

mfcrocker posted:

Is it as transparent when the game wants you to win, or is that only happening because you've nailed it?

The game is still insanely streaky because rather than addressing the combination of features that makes it that way SI use a "well we don't program it specifically to do that" defence.

The game isn't fixed at all but it would feel fairer and be more fun if it actually was.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
So i was playing fm a bit drunk, and i was playing against a VERY bus parking inverness, and i subbed on the 34 year old podolski who still has 3.5 stars and he scored a brace and won us the game and i was like, can i tell him i loving love him? and there's a conversation--conduct option where you can tell him you love him and he's just great to have around and i did and now his mood is sky high and ach. it just made me happy.

poldi your destiny is in aberdeen.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I managed to make a couple of tactics that over-perform and now this game is kinda ruined. I have two saves; one with Foggia (who I recommend as they have a decent squad for the division and players with lots of PPM's) where I've been promoted two seasons in a row then came seventh in my first season in Serie A. I'm now first after the first seven games in my fourth season and don't look like being beaten at all. My best player, Pietro Iemmello, is average at best but has banged in sixty goals in the last two seasons. I'm playing a pretty standard 4-5-1 with two inside forwards and a false nine. It's become boring though as I don't need to change anything to get results. My other save is with Lugo in Spain. I came seventh first season and got promoted the next but am now top with ten games played in my third season in La Liga. I have a tiny squad and often have to play players out of position but it doesn't seem to effect my results at all. I've lost all interest in this save too given how easy it's become.

I'm trying to start a new game and base my tactic around a target man but it seems nothing I do can get it functioning properly. Anyone had any luck?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I used a targetman in my 4-4-2 but it only really worked with Jordan Ayew who could run with the ball to retain possession. Classic targetman Llorente would just stand in place waiting to be tackled.

DLF-S TM-A (swap duties if things aren't working after half an hour)
WP-S CM-A DLP-D W-A
FB-A CB-D CB-D FB-D (or support with Hold Position)

Overloads the left so a lot of crosses from the full-back for goals for the targetman and winger. Only had problems playing out from the back with Alfie Mawson, whose ppms and excess vision had him pumping everything long as soon as he got it.

Targetmen need quick support so attacking duties around them are essential.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

sassassin posted:

It exists to make players run into tackles like loving idiots and trigger lethal counters. They don't need the ppm to run when running is appropriate.

Knocks ball past opponent is the amazing ppm for fast dribblers.

Knocks ball past opponent is one of my least favourite ppms. Asensio has been my best player in the game for the 4 or so seasons since I signed him

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Bogan Krkic posted:

Knocks ball past opponent is one of my least favourite ppms. Asensio has been my best player in the game for the 4 or so seasons since I signed him

I had it on Candreva a couple of FMs back and he was ridiculous.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
I kind of got fed up with the recent FMs (think the last one I played seriously was FM12), so I downloaded CM 01/02 a few days ago. It’s hilariously simple, but as the first one I ever played it’s a lot of fun.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Ok, so I'm dumb as hell and let my desire to be good at manager games team up with my cheapness and convince me to buy FM17 back in the summer sale. My problem is that I don't know a goddamn thing about soccer/football. Like at all. My knowledge ends at ' the ball goes into the net'. Is there somewhere that can explain how the actual sport works in a way that isn't going to be full of incomprehensible jargon ala wikipedia? Bonus points if you also link something that explains the game as well.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

ShootaBoy posted:

Ok, so I'm dumb as hell and let my desire to be good at manager games team up with my cheapness and convince me to buy FM17 back in the summer sale. My problem is that I don't know a goddamn thing about soccer/football. Like at all. My knowledge ends at ' the ball goes into the net'. Is there somewhere that can explain how the actual sport works in a way that isn't going to be full of incomprehensible jargon ala wikipedia? Bonus points if you also link something that explains the game as well.

I wrote a long post during the 2014 World Cup about football positions and formations to try to explain to new posters some of the terminology we were using to discuss the World Cup, it might not be what you're looking for but here you go anyway:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3639574&pagenumber=27&perpage=40#post431344053

Bear in mind that everything I wrote was about actual football and FM works differently sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ShootaBoy posted:

Do the opposite of any in-game advice you're given and you won't go far wrong.