Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

mojo1701a posted:

Yeah, the humour itself was "How do WASPs pretend they're Jewish?" like when Niles keeps saying, "L'Chaim! Mazel tov!"

I'd guess the episode is meant to be fall-down hilarious if you're Jewish. Like how the Australian national pastime is laughing at gullible foreigners believing the most ridiculous things about Australia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Well *I* only read the New Yorker and eat Fancy Feast.
I wish Bulldog and Roz stayed together. I always liked that he uncharacteristically cared a great deal for Alice and went through great lengths to chase off Roz's other suitors.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

ContraBoss posted:

I wish Bulldog and Roz stayed together. I always liked that he uncharacteristically cared a great deal for Alice and went through great lengths to chase off Roz's other suitors.

Trap sprung

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

ContraBoss posted:

Series should have ended w/ Fraiser and Roz passionately embracing IMHO #TeamRoz

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

I love that this world is still full of wonder

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's always fun when Bulldog is genuinely nice, like when Frederick is around.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Inescapable Duck posted:

I'd guess the episode is meant to be fall-down hilarious if you're Jewish. Like how the Australian national pastime is laughing at gullible foreigners believing the most ridiculous things about Australia.

Hell, I enjoyed it and I'm not Jewish. I remember most of the jokes being them trying to hide their true gentile selves, like Niles dressed as Jesus, or the Christmas tree in the bathroom.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Inescapable Duck posted:

It's always fun when Bulldog is genuinely nice, like when Frederick is around.

"You don't look at the mantel when you're poking the fire!"

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

My kugel will be dry as the Sinai.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Simple line made perfect through good delivery & timing: "Ooh, HAM!"

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

mojo1701a posted:

Hell, I enjoyed it and I'm not Jewish. I remember most of the jokes being them trying to hide their true gentile selves, like Niles dressed as Jesus, or the Christmas tree in the bathroom.

[At that moment Niles dressed as Jesus walks out of the kitchen. Helen cannot see him as her back is turned, however Faye and Frasier notice him.]

Frasier: Jesus!

[Niles hurries back into the kitchen.]

Frasier: I'll tell you what, I just realized you haven't seen the beautiful balcony. Dad, would you do the honors and I'll check on the brisket?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
David Hyde Pierce in 2009, when my wife's cousin tried to sneak a picture of him on the subway.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Nocheez posted:

David Hyde Pierce in 2009, when my wife's cousin tried to sneak a picture of him on the subway.

He looks a lot like Picardo in that "gently caress you taking that" photo of him.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So what's the episode that is the most representative of what Frasier is about? For me it's either the one where they buy a restaurant for the wonderful and blatantly obvious setup and pay off of the cherries jubilee, the radio drama for how it all falls apart culminating with Niles' character murdering everyone, or the parking lot episode with Frasier describing his experience when people thinking he's talking about having sex with Roz
I know there's many, many episodes I'm missing but those three are the ones that stand out the most and the most iconic examples of the show as a farce

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Frasier has good characters but Gilligan's Island level plots.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Mister Ferley never did bust in there but it seemed imminent in most episodes.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'd say the ski lodge episode pretty much has everything. It even includes the obligatory "gay person thinks Frasier/Niles is also gay".

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Sir Lemming posted:

I'd say the ski lodge episode pretty much has everything. It even includes the obligatory "gay person thinks Frasier/Niles is also gay".

And Frasier coming to the horrifying realization that at the end of the entire web of attraction, he was the only one who was not being pursued.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Niles: Tell me Frasier, have you ever thought of Roz... romantically?
Frasier: Oh, pish posh, Niles. Certainly she is comely and I have more than once caught a glimpse of her in angles which were extremely flattering to her female form, but no.
Niles: Not even a fling, then?
Frasier: I am but a man Niles, of course I've had passing thoughts. But sustained interest... no. I would prefer to keep our relationship professional.
(Roz enters)
Roz: drat it!
Niles: Whatever is the matter?
Roz: I thought I was meeting this cute guy from the book store here for a date but he just wanted to convert me to Scientology.
Frasier: Well, these things happen. I'm sure he saw something within you that attracted him, but he was more interested in your soul than your flesh.
Roz: Maybe I can get back home in time to seduce my building's plumber. I told him my pipes were clogged and he just gave me a business card.
Niles: Have you always had an intense need of male intimacy?
Roz: Excuse me?
Frasier: Apologies for my brother, he meant nothing by that. He can't help but try to administer psychotherapy.
Roz: I didn't ask for your analysis.
Niles: Yes, my apologies. I assure you my motives were entirely altruistic, but I shouldn't have pried. I beg your pardon.
Roz: Well... alright.
Frasier: Well, an amicable settlement without escalation! Blazes, when will our coffee get here?
Roz: GOD, I need a dick in me. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Calaveron posted:

So what's the episode that is the most representative of what Frasier is about? For me it's either the one where they buy a restaurant for the wonderful and blatantly obvious setup and pay off of the cherries jubilee, the radio drama for how it all falls apart culminating with Niles' character murdering everyone, or the parking lot episode with Frasier describing his experience when people thinking he's talking about having sex with Roz
I know there's many, many episodes I'm missing but those three are the ones that stand out the most and the most iconic examples of the show as a farce

I like the one where Frasier makes the radio theme song for himself OP

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Fraizer: Niles get off your cock, dear lord.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

beep by grandpa posted:

The station manager (Kenny?)'s stunned silence makes that whole scene, imo

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

beep by grandpa posted:

Worth reposting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSK1UeD9nvE

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sir Lemming posted:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
It is all about characters not plot, so you can chop the episodes up into categories based on the characters who are the main focus

Best Frasier + Niles episode: the one where they have a restaurant
Best Frasier + Niles + Martin episode: the one with ice fishing
Best everyone + everyone: ski lodge
Best Frasier + Roz episode: ???

etc, etc

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sir Lemming posted:

There was also a very small "oy" he said immediately after that that didn't get an audience laugh so I think it was improvised. The one he said when he leaves with Daphne got one though.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Best Frasier + Roz episode: ???

one where they bang obvs

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
The one where Frasier is seeing a supermodel iguana scientist and everyone thinks he's having a breakdown and making her up is high tier

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Yeah, that's a good one. Though it always bugs me that he really could have come up with a better explanation for taking a picture of her. Just say you wanted something to remember her by, and didn't want to wake her up.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Tsaedje posted:

The one where Frasier is seeing a supermodel iguana scientist and everyone thinks he's having a breakdown and making her up is high tier

This New York Times review from 1997 agrees with you:

https://mobile.nytimes.com/1997/09/21/tv/critic-s-choice-return-of-the-cranes.html

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Strudel Man posted:

Yeah, that's a good one. Though it always bugs me that he really could have come up with a better explanation for taking a picture of her. Just say you wanted something to remember her by, and didn't want to wake her up.

Yeah but then you wouldn't get the smug look on his face when she comes back and chews him out in front of everyone. Being smug about being called a massive lowlife and creep because it proves he was right all along to his family is about as Frasier as it gets.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I always forget about Niles' last line in the clip and it gets me every single time

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

...and the pitch! posted:

He looks a lot like Picardo in that "gently caress you taking that" photo of him.

The story behind that photo is even better. A goon (FrensaGaren, I think) went up to him at a con and said something along the lines of "I loved you in star trek voyager, shame the rest of the show was garbage" and them promptly snapped that picture.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Sir Lemming posted:

I enjoyed the episode where Martin pretends to be gay and it all goes horribly wrong when Frasier's girlfriend tries to set him up with her uncle. Also, the episode with Patrick Stewart and Frasier as his toy boy.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Tsaedje posted:

Yeah but then you wouldn't get the smug look on his face when she comes back and chews him out in front of everyone. Being smug about being called a massive lowlife and creep because it proves he was right all along to his family is about as Frasier as it gets.
That is a good point.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Three Valentines loving owns.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

bongwizzard posted:

Three Valentines loving owns.

Never liked this one. Outside of the Niles part I didn't think any of it was that funny. I think the restaurant one and the one where Frasier handcuffs himself to the stripper are the two that best represent Frasier to someone that has never seen it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think My Coffee with Niles is a really great early one. Sums up exactly what the series is about, what the character arcs have been, and what the character arcs will continue to be.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I think My Coffee with Niles is a really great early one. Sums up exactly what the series is about, what the character arcs have been, and what the character arcs will continue to be.

Also the entire episode takes place in Café Nervosa and that's really cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

Never liked this one. Outside of the Niles part I didn't think any of it was that funny. I think the restaurant one and the one where Frasier handcuffs himself to the stripper are the two that best represent Frasier to someone that has never seen it.

What kind of vicious, judgemental, name-calling, machete-mouthed bitch are you?