Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Blindeye posted:

Probably that would be the line to put Vanguard in. The problem is many British battlecruisers were WWI vintage with 4-6 15 inch guns or smaller. Hard to see more than a line to tier 8 lime the alternate Japanese DD line.

There's enough RN battlecruiser designs to make a full tree without even resorting to Frankenships and there's even room for new Premiums.

Tier 3 - Invincible
Tier 4 - Indefatigable
Tier 5 - Lion
Tier 6 - Renown
Tier 7 - Admiral
Tier 8 - G3
Tier 9 - Vanguard
Tier 10 - Incomparable

Premiums:
Tier 4 - Australia
Tier 5 - Tiger
Tier 6 - Repulse

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
When you're the last one standing on your team, slugging it out against multiple enemy ships, and you're concentrating hard enough that you don't even know time has run out until

We won? We won. I won?

Yeah OK. I might have carried a little bit. I was actually in a position where I had a killing salvo in the air on the Bayern, and I'd lamed the weakened New Mexico. I kept thinking that a lucky citadel would gently caress me over but it never came.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
*logs in* Huh the Dunkirk ports looks ok *tries to mess around with modules and equipment* dafuq why is this being a PIA? *looks at frame rate* :stare: *leaves Dunkirk*

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

rex rabidorum vires posted:

*logs in* Huh the Dunkirk ports looks ok *tries to mess around with modules and equipment* dafuq why is this being a PIA? *looks at frame rate* :stare: *leaves Dunkirk*

No wait. First, you have to alt tab out, then back in to experience the explosion on your ship.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

ZombieLenin posted:

No, but I usually trust his perception of ships.

You shouldn't trust Flamu's perception of anything

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

I'm going to get rank 1 for the Flint, then never again play ranked when it's tier VI only.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

My Dunkerque has been detonated twice today. Between this and the sudden rash of detonations I got in ranked, I cannot believe Wargaming hasn't been loving around under the hood.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I think Dunkerques are just dumb lovely boats that are cursed to suck and explode no matter who's driving them. I've never seen a Dunkq and thought, "Wow, that guy is really getting poo poo done." It's always like, "Wow, that full health Dunkq charged a BB with 1,000 HP and got rammed to death. What a retard, I'm glad he's dead."

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I think Dunkerques are just dumb lovely boats that are cursed to suck and explode no matter who's driving them. I've never seen a Dunkq and thought, "Wow, that guy is really getting poo poo done." It's always like, "Wow, that full health Dunkq charged a BB with 1,000 HP and got rammed to death. What a retard, I'm glad he's dead."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiWroA7310E

ok

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

You know what? I don't know if I can get to rank 1 this season. I hate every one of these loving players so loving much.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Wikipedia posted:

Armament:

3 × 2 – BL 20-inch (508 mm) guns

:stare:

Where do I sign?

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

I know they exist, but they're basically unicorns.

I had a game earlier today where a full-health Dunkq tried to ram my Algr. I dumped two torps into his face, dodged to one side, and started pumping rounds through his citadel at :commissar: range. He managed to bring his guns on target once before he died, fired a full salvo, and scored eight overpens.

To his credit, he wasn't mad. He complained about spaced armor, congratulated me, and left. I think I complimented him.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Dunkirk scenario is fun. 5 starred it.

But hot drat are there some bad people and useless teams. At least you can carry... a little bit.

Gee, Major Contribution and Will to Win? Not sure I'm going to get that aga-

Back to back matches where nobody does anything except die. Getting 80+ bomber kills with idiots is impossible... that's the hardest star to earn.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Closest to 80 bombers I've gotten is 76, and there were only two of us left alive at the end

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Wargaming EU posted:

New Mechanic: Smoke-firing Penalty !! WARNING: We speculate that this new mechanic will work as follows. However, unveiling the actual effect requires further investigation. Now, smoke-firing will not be as pleasant as it used to be. Ships fire inside (or around) smoke screen will accelerate the dissipation of smoke. For example: Gearing's 1-click firing will reduce 0.24 (0.12×2) sec. lifetime of all smoke cloud in a radius of 630 meters. Larger caliber guns have better effect on smoke dissipating. The biggest 460mm has the basic smoke-dissipation penalty of 5.91 seconds. That is, each 1-click shot will cause 17.73 sec of smoke dissipation and one salvo will almost blow away an entire smoke screen!

Looks a load of poo poo to me. If they hate camping smoke meta then make BBs un-smokeable, its as simple as that.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

There's enough RN battlecruiser designs to make a full tree without even resorting to Frankenships and there's even room for new Premiums.

Tier 3 - Invincible
Tier 4 - Indefatigable
Tier 5 - Lion
Tier 6 - Renown
Tier 7 - Admiral
Tier 8 - G3
Tier 9 - Vanguard
Tier 10 - Incomparable

Premiums:
Tier 4 - Australia
Tier 5 - Tiger
Tier 6 - Repulse

The tier 10 has six guns and is a 1915 design, that's what I mean. As much fun as 20.1 inch guns would be, WG seems dead set against bringing them in.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

kaesarsosei posted:

Looks a load of poo poo to me. If they hate camping smoke meta then make BBs un-smokeable, its as simple as that.

This is really dumd and only pushes the meta even further towards making BBs more powerful oh. Now it makes sense.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

This is really dumb and only pushes the meta even further towards making BBs more powerful oh. Now it makes sense.

Quote isn't edit and phone posting on train :suicide:

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

This is really dumd and only pushes the meta even further towards making BBs more powerful oh. Now it makes sense.

I don't see how making BB's unable to fire while invisible would be a buff to BB's.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Blindeye posted:

The tier 10 has six guns and is a 1915 design, that's what I mean. As much fun as 20.1 inch guns would be, WG seems dead set against bringing them in.

No ship is allowed to have guns as big as or bigger than waifu Yamato-san

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Warbadger posted:

I don't see how making BB's unable to fire while invisible would be a buff to BB's.

It's an indirect buff to BBs by nerfing RN cruisers, Kutuzov, and destroyers.

Also, quote is not edit

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

kaesarsosei posted:

This better get some serious pushback.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
They should just cut to the chase and remove guns from destroyers

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I too look forward to some BB sailing into my smoke, firing, and leaving me unexpectedly visible while stationary.

Pretty sure I would just launch all torps into them at that point.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I swear, every ranked match that starts with someone on my team talking about how they're the best player on the team and everyone else is poo poo usually ends with that person eating it first so they can go on to "coach" everyone else while we play.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
So, now that I've done the operation and gotten 5 stars, I am completely mystified as to why I continue to run the operation.

In fact, it occurs to me that I have no idea when and how you get the operation containers. It seems totally random to me.

Rorac posted:

:stare:

Where do I sign?

You know that one (20inch guns) would never happened. Wargaming chose a fantasy frankenship for the tier X German BB, despite having very real German paper designs of "Super H" class ships with 21 inch guns.

Of course, they did this because they wanted Yamato to remain "unique" with the highest caliber guns in the game.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jul 20, 2017

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Darkrenown posted:

I too look forward to some BB sailing into my smoke, firing, and leaving me unexpectedly visible while stationary.

Pretty sure I would just launch all torps into them at that point.

Pretty sure he suggested BB's not be smoke-able. Not ships around BB's, not Russian cruisers, and not removing smoke in the vicinity of a BB when it fires. If a BB cannot fire while in smoke without himself becoming visible it would not be a buff to BB's.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

kaesarsosei posted:

I should probably point that the despite the quote being attributed to WG EU it's from the data-miners called SEA-Group. They're usually pretty accurate with their posts but 1) this is just speculation on how the mechanic works (which you can even see in the quote itself on how they need to investigate further) and 2) even if it's exactly how they described poo poo goes in and out of supertest all the time that I wouldn't worry too hard right now and only get mad if/when it hits PTS.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

ZombieLenin posted:

In fact, it occurs to me that I have no idea when and how you get the operation containers. It seems totally random to me.

Yeah I was confused at first too. The container is a daily unlockable that you need to get 2000 base XP for. You can get it by playing ranked, random or scenario battles. Once you get it, it'll show up in the usual container spot.

I probably won't bother with the scenario again unless it's with people I know because I've had so many pubbies just leg it into the minefield with predictable results.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 20, 2017

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

kaesarsosei posted:

Looks like a dumming down of the game much like how tanks is going towards super heavy meta.

Every time I play a ranked match, I realize why I hate ranked. Get west spawn on Neighbors in the Bayern. Team wants to go A, I say we should go B and give reasons why to go B (can control angles of firing better, easier to smoke, opportunities to stealth fire over islands, etc). Get told to shut up, that we are going A and should not split up by almost everyone on our team. I say our destroyers better be really good then.

I'm pretty sure you guys know the rest.

HFX fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 20, 2017

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner

Handsome Ralph posted:

Yeah I was confused at first too. The container is a daily unlockable that you need to get 2000 base XP for. You can get it by playing ranked, random or scenario battles. Once you get it, it'll show up in the usual container spot.

I probably won't bother with the scenario again unless it's with people I know because I've had so many pubbies just leg it into the minefield with predictable results.

Is that the container with the special flags? You only get one per day?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Cippalippus posted:

Is that the container with the special flags? You only get one per day?

Yes and no. The To the Rescue! mission can only be done once a day. The Protect the Evacuation! mission is timed, and can only be done on weekends. I think that's also a once a day mission, so the most you can get each day is two on a weekend and one on a weekday.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Huh. My gut reaction to the smoke changes was "oh, finally, it's about time they did something about that". Don't get me wrong, something is definitely needed to keep BB's in check, but the smoke mechanics are loving retarded and desperately need a rework. It's effectively a very long duration AOE invulnerability field that only a few ships (and only at T7 and above) get a short-duration counterplay mechanic for. Who thought that this would be a good idea? Either you have the antidote and can punish the smoked-up ship heavily and probably waste the smoke entirely, or you don't and you either take a shitton of damage or turn around. Sure you can blind torp it but that's just relying on dumb luck and the smoked-up ship being bad. Smoke is one of the reasons for the incredibly passive meta at high tiers (and in competitive play) and something should really be done about it.

I love my Kutuzov and all, but it's a really loving stupid ship. Press button, farm a monstrous amount of damage and make people really not want to push into you, move on, repeat.

Tangentially related, the pubbies are currently up in arms about the RN battleships and complaining about how they shouldn't be "flavored with consumables". Wayyyyyy back in CBT before I understood much about the game I made a big dumb complaint post about how the game was shallow, and while I was wrong about a lot of things, there's one thing I think I got right and which was later rectified: there's simply not much depth in the variation between warships. Once you get past some of the weirder treaty designs, a battleship is a battleship is a battleship and disregarding a few outliers (like the Izumo) they are all mostly identical game mechanics wise. Yes sure they have a bit different ballistics and turret angles and the armor layout is slightly different and there may be a few knots of top speed difference but it's all really insignificant differences. They needed more depth to the game mechanics to make ships play differently and so they introduced consumables.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 20, 2017

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
I bought a Kutuzov and so far my damage has been totally anemic. Hopefully this is because I only have 3 points on him right now, and presumably getting DE and IFHE will significantly boost my output.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
So uhh... we get RADAR, to counter smoke. German DDs are released, with gimped smoke to curb the smoke meta and Hydro to see through hostile smoke. German BBs all have big sonars that can potentially spot through smoke. More T7 ships now have RADAR.

And now smoke vanishes faster if you shoot while inside of it. Does WG... like... not understand... anything? What is the problem they're addressing? Do they think people firing from smoke clouds is overpowered? I can't recall the last time a smoked up DD shooting at me caused me great distress. Oh right, its like, 2 ships that cause problems with firing from inside smoke clouds (Kutuzov, Belfast), the rest are either balanced around it (Brit CLs) or aren't particularly powerful even with it (DDs). But we're going to loving shaft the entire mechanic because of it instead of putting on the big boy pants and growing the balls to nerf some loving premiums. Simultaneously also nerfing any ship that liked getting smoked up (IE: everyone), nerfing the power of DDs (because DDs were SOOOO overpowered), reducing the effectiveness of teamplay and positioning smokes, and most importantly... opening up trolling opportunities. Smoke yourself up because a DD just popped out around a corner and you're low? Oh whoops, there was a shitter BB right next to you who just fired off a broadside and blew your smoke away, now you're dead.

Yet another brilliant idea by WG. Can't wait to see how they hamfistedly try to make THIS one work.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Notser is unhappy with the treatment of IJN DDs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jrgi07iXW4w

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Handsome Ralph posted:

Yes and no. The To the Rescue! mission can only be done once a day. The Protect the Evacuation! mission is timed, and can only be done on weekends. I think that's also a once a day mission, so the most you can get each day is two on a weekend and one on a weekday.

Ah, that explains it. Honestly I like that better than how the Bismarck campaign did it.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

:siren: Graf Zeppelin on Flamu's stream right now!

The fighters seem really weak. With the three torp squads, the meme is currently IRON CROSS DROPS! :godwinning:

e:

Insert name here posted:

I should probably point that the despite the quote being attributed to WG EU it's from the data-miners called SEA-Group. They're usually pretty accurate with their posts but 1) this is just speculation on how the mechanic works (which you can even see in the quote itself on how they need to investigate further) and 2) even if it's exactly how they described poo poo goes in and out of supertest all the time that I wouldn't worry too hard right now and only get mad if/when it hits PTS.

Flamu just said on his stream that this leak is already outdated. The mechanic was tested and they received massively negative feedback.

Godlessdonut fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 20, 2017

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
DDs in general are trash right now until you get up to T8/9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Big McHuge posted:

I bought a Kutuzov and so far my damage has been totally anemic. Hopefully this is because I only have 3 points on him right now, and presumably getting DE and IFHE will significantly boost my output.

Take Superintendent before DE in my opinion, one more smoke is going to do more for you than higher fire chance. IFHE on that ship is monstrous though, you go from relying almost entirely on fire damage to making GBS threads out 3k damage per salvo easily.