Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Not gonna lie. I've got $200 to use on a birthday gift for myself on Amazon, so I came to this thread cause I can't figure anything out cooler than "$200 Amazon Gift Card".

Did this last year and came out with an Amazon Echo.

Now, I AM gonna need some type of laptop for going back to college in a few months...won't need to do any gaming on it with my rig at home..

89 has a new favorite as of 23:59 on Jul 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

A luxury, first class (economy) ticket to visit my friend in Dallas! I'm gonna take them to all the Robocop shooting locations.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

I always assumed it was shot in Detroit.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

colas posted:

I always assumed it was shot in Detroit.

Dallas was chosen because it had the futuristic architectural style they wanted, especially for the OCP buildings.

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
i got a new phone, a samsung galaxy j7 prime (unlocked) that is fully compatible with at&t

it is my first new phone in 4 years and is an upgrade over my htc one m7

edit: comparison link for the two phones http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=8314&idPhone2=5313

pros:
major improvement in battery life over my ailing one m7
bigger and better screen
somewhat faster
expandable storage
fingerprint reader to unlock is neat

cons:
does not have 5ghz wifi
does not have NFC
does not have a light sensor so no automatic screen brightness adjustments
does not have dual speakers and speakers are of a lower quality than the one m7
camera is not as good as the one m7

i like the phone mostly for the bigger screen and incredibly longer battery life, but you can really see the difference between a "midrange" phone and a "flagship" phone if you go from one to the other
this phone (galaxy j7 prime) is only slightly better a flagship phone from four years ago

i would have gotten an s7, s7 plus, or s8, but just couldnt justify the cost when i could get this phone that would satisfy my needs for hundreds of dollars less

welcome 2 Clown Town has a new favorite as of 16:44 on Jul 19, 2017

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Polyakov posted:

Dallas was chosen because it had the futuristic architectural style they wanted, especially for the OCP buildings.

Specifically for their brutalistic oppressive city hall design! :eng101:

http://99percentinvisible.org/article/architecture-evil-dystopian-megacorps-speculative-fiction/

For content, I bought a Synology DS1517+ NAS and five Hitachi Deskstar 4tb hard drives run run in RAID 6. Theoretically, if up to two hard drives simultaneously fail, I can rebuild the array from the other three hard drives without losing any data. Theoretically the hard drives are rated for one million operating hours, so they should be good for hopefully five years.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Nice! I knew I needed a NAS and am only just recently starting to use more of its functions
Synology seem to be making good stuff.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

89 posted:

Not gonna lie. I've got $200 to use on a birthday gift for myself on Amazon, so I came to this thread cause I can't figure anything out cooler than "$200 Amazon Gift Card".

I did this recently and came out the other side with a hand-held GPS unit for my trip to Alaska this summer.

So if you're hiking in Denali this summer, my story should help you.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

OSU_Matthew posted:

For content, I bought a Synology DS1517+ NAS and five Hitachi Deskstar 4tb hard drives run run in RAID 6. Theoretically, if up to two hard drives simultaneously fail, I can rebuild the array from the other three hard drives without losing any data. Theoretically the hard drives are rated for one million operating hours, so they should be good for hopefully five years.

I love my 8-bay equivalent of that. Just don't trust anything on the public internet because they are swiss cheese when it comes to security, including software upgrades changing parameters. Just remember: RAID is not backup.

Also use SHR and in the future you can upgrade your disks "online".

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

H110Hawk posted:

I love my 8-bay equivalent of that. Just don't trust anything on the public internet because they are swiss cheese when it comes to security, including software upgrades changing parameters. Just remember: RAID is not backup.

Also use SHR and in the future you can upgrade your disks "online".

Right, I've been previously using backblaze with my windows server for that, so not sure which cloud backup be service to go with for the Synology NAS.

I've also got an old barracuda web filter running for shits and giggles, and a pfsense firewall appliance with IDS, so hopefully I'm ok on security... I set up a VPN for my home network, so nothing is directly exposed to the internet at large...

I don't 100% trust SHR yet... But I am using btrfs and RAID 6, so we'll see when my cat knocks the server off the shelves and everything is dun gone :(

God I can't wait till multi terabyte SSD drives are affordable and I can get rid of these stupid mechanical drives

Not a purchase exactly, but I just started using Plex, and holy gently caress that is awesome... It's like Netflix for all my local content!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

OSU_Matthew posted:

I don't 100% trust SHR yet...

It's all done with md-raid from bog standard linux. I use crashplan, it works... often. If there is a Linux client you can use docker to run it.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I bought 8 (4 packs of 2) double-ended dog toothbrushes for work and I'm really excited for them to get here! (I work in a pet store and we use them to clean our tanks and we have one currently that is old and falling apart and not long enough to get in the cracks.)

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I pre-ordered Ms. Marvel vol. 7, both volumes of Steve Lichman, Breverton's Sea Mythology book, Splatoon 2, Mario Odyssey.

I'm also thinking about buying new inks and parchment. I have a desire to recreate the bending scrolls from Avatar.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

ReidRansom posted:

Some good stuff there. I've got some old Circle Jerks, but no Bad Brains. Meant to poke around for some when I was poking around bins at some DC record shops a few weeks ago, but forgot.

Also, warning if that's one of the Blackened represses of Metallica. I don't know about Kill 'Em All, but the repress of Justice is terrible, and I've heard the same of Master of Puppets.

I A/B'ed Kill Em All, and Puppets with my vinyl and CD versions. Kill Em All seems to be untainted and sounds great, but the vinyl version of Puppets has some major clipping going on. If And Justice For All is like that, I probably will pass on that. Would love to see it remastered with the bass put in it.

On a side note, I got In Utero on vinyl, and heart shaped box, and all apologies has the original Steve Albini mixes on it. I believe they left the vinyl version alone when it came to having Scott Litt remix the singles so they would be more radio friendly.

My recent purchase:

MeatRocket8 has a new favorite as of 11:35 on Jul 20, 2017

GodofGravity
Jun 20, 2005
Fun Shoe
Not a direct purchase but GF needed something to push her Amazon order over the free 1-day shipping limit so she grabbed something off my wish list. Figured after picking up the freebies from the last two years of free comic book day it might be worth a shot at the full version:

Lady Mechanika vol. 1:

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

dovetaile posted:

old and falling apart and not long enough to get in the cracks.)

Hell, how'd you know how my wife describes me?

I bought Preacher volume 6, a couple of peter straub blue rose novels, and a replacement 2008 joker ornament and a 2016 Julie newmar catwoman ornament.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

to rest my work laptop on, so (hopefully) my back pain will go away

bike stuff

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

OSU_Matthew posted:

Not a purchase exactly, but I just started using Plex, and holy gently caress that is awesome... It's like Netflix for all my local content!

It was great, until it stopped working for Synology.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Nephzinho posted:

It was great, until it stopped working for Synology.

When was that? Last time I messed with it was a few months ago, but it was working fine then.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I got Preacher Volume 4 on Comixology and more groceries for my fiancee and I's attempt at eating healthy.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Toast Museum posted:

When was that? Last time I messed with it was a few months ago, but it was working fine then.

A fairly recent DSM update. I was upgrading a bunch of poo poo on my system and then Plex broke. They apparently aren't trying to fix it.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Bounty Hunter IV Metal Detector

Looking to use it at some abandoned mines, at the beach, maybe along some rivers.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Time to say goodbye to some squash beetles I just noticed yesterday on my zucchini.

Also any other bugs that decide to stir poo poo up in my garden.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 21:55 on Jul 20, 2017

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

DrBouvenstein posted:

Time to say goodbye to some squash beetles I just noticed yesterday on my zucchini.

I would like to know more.

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (

Coredump posted:

I would like to know more.

It's a substance you lay out in an area you expect the bugs to travel through. When bugs crawl over it, it fucks up their exoskeletons in a way that causes them to die later. It's sometimes used for bedbugs.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
I once had beetles on my zucchini, but a fine tooth comb and some special shampoo took care of it.

Content:

It's a replacement nut for a guitar. Cost all of $12.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

My own photo:

New exhaust for my 97 BMW 328is. DNA Motoring full exhaust from the downpipe back. Installation Monday.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

n4 posted:

It's a substance you lay out in an area you expect the bugs to travel through. When bugs crawl over it, it fucks up their exoskeletons in a way that causes them to die later. It's sometimes used for bedbugs.

I heard cimexa is better as DE either isn't effective or has some drawbacks, you might wanna do some googlin' if it ends up not working

I forget, I know I did some research when I was traumatized with the possibility of having bed bugs but the consensus was largely "gently caress DE, get cimexa"

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

DrBouvenstein posted:

The '1-2 tbsps daily' concerns me.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Bought these at goodwill, Nike SB "Tecate." Got em for $12, and they retailed for $250. Already up for sale on eBay lol

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I bought $350 of roleplaying game books (tabletop, PDF) so I can try to synthesize something more fun than 5e to play with my kid. I figure it's worth it since she's going to pick my nursing home some day.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

spog posted:

The '1-2 tbsps daily' concerns me.

I eat 2 tablespoons of dirt a day and I guarantee you I can gently caress up any bug

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Coffee And Pie posted:

Bought these at goodwill, Nike SB "Tecate." Got em for $12, and they retailed for $250. Already up for sale on eBay lol

Don't believe flight club prices son!

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

Subjunctive posted:

something more fun than 5e to play with my kid
So, 4e?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Pastry of the Year posted:

I eat 2 tablespoons of dirt a day and I guarantee you I can gently caress up any bug
If you're really hardcore you eat the pool grade diatomaceous earth.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Fewer moving parts, I'm hoping. Maybe some PbtA thing.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Subjunctive posted:

I bought $350 of roleplaying game books (tabletop, PDF) so I can try to synthesize something more fun than 5e to play with my kid. I figure it's worth it since she's going to pick my nursing home some day.

Not to make you feel bad but Dungeon World is fun, accessable and free.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Inzombiac posted:

Not to make you feel bad but Dungeon World is fun, accessable and free.

I bought a paper copy, in fact!

Bumblefuck!
Jan 20, 2007

Pre-ordered it as a birthday present to myself, and it finally arrived

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Bape Culture posted:

Don't believe flight club prices son!