Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Adiabatic posted:

Si, thats where these pics were taken. I have a confession, that's not Chewbacca and yes ths real Chewbacca is super disabled. I just really like the name Chewbacca for a sloth.

We're about to hike an active volcano tomorrow :getin:

I may end up like darth vader or there may be a mod position open soon. Stay tuned!

Nice! We just ended our 3 week CR trip last Wednesday. We kicked off the trip by going to Manuel Antonio, then up to Tamarindo, over to Monte Verde, up to Arenal, over to Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, then back to San Jose. We rented a Toyota Fortuner turbo diesel, it was amazing for the drive up to and back down Monte Verde since it's an unpaved mountain both directions. If you're in a rental, next time you stop at gas stations, I highly recommend the limon flavored chicharrones they were amazing. Which volcano are you heading to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
We're here for a week. So far we went to Manuel Antonio, stayed in Jaco, drove over to Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, saw the sloths in Cahuita, drove over to El Castillo right up near Arenal, and we just got to a super cheap lodge on the side of Turrialba, which is closed due to volcanic activity.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Adiabatic posted:

As I get older I find I have less and less time for poo poo I don't care about in the slightest. Maybe that makes me uncultured or an rear end in a top hat but it definitely makes me happier.

That actually sounds pretty good to me. Drop by and have a beeer / check out my Subaru collection sometime

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Adiabatic posted:

It won't matter at the heat death of the universe sure. Definitely matters in the present moment. Why is the moment of heat death more important than now?

The heat death can't come fast enough, so I'm praying for the technological singularity and AI going all Agent Smith on us.

Adiabatic posted:

As I get older I find I have less and less time for poo poo I don't care about in the slightest. Maybe that makes me uncultured or an rear end in a top hat but it definitely makes me happier.

Same. When I was an angry young man I raged at things that were never meant for me anyway. Now I don't care and I'm a lot happier and only occasionally performativly hate things for lulz.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

god dammit how did I miss the cat thread for 20 days straight

I have five cats plus currently one foster cat plus two outdoor feral TNR cats that we feed and this is not the maximum number of cats we've had. AMA about cats.

e. also I thought my truck was gonna need a new cat but it eked through smog again so that's one old cat still sticking around

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

LloydDobler posted:

In other more car related news, I decided to do a compression check in my new-to-me V70R while I had the coilpacks out for replacement. I figured it'd just confirm that everything is fine, and I start testing... 110, 110, 110, 110... 70. gently caress.

Keeping in mind I tested it stone cold, having not been run for several days, the car runs really well and has no symptoms of badness, I'm not quite into full panic mode yet. I went ahead and ordered a leakdown tester for a proper check, and even though it sucks to do I'll do it on a hot engine. But I really hope the PO didn't gently caress me over. I do not want to do a head or even head gasket.

Have you done a whiteblock hg yet? It's a lot of fun. It's really not fun.

I made the tool to pull the upper and lower parts of the head together. It's not exactly a complicated tool to make but if you need/want it, it's yours. Hopefully it's just carbon buildup on a valve or something. In my experience (of two bad whiteblock hg's), the ecu would have long since thrown a misfire trouble code for that much compression loss.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Leperflesh posted:

god dammit how did I miss the cat thread for 20 days straight

I have five cats plus currently one foster cat plus two outdoor feral TNR cats that we feed and this is not the maximum number of cats we've had. AMA about cats.

e. also I thought my truck was gonna need a new cat but it eked through smog again so that's one old cat still sticking around

Uh... so... are cats great or what?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

They totally are! Mostly. I mean we had one Bad Cat but it wasn't really her fault, she was old, usually sick, and probably abused and then definitely abandoned. But other than that one cat, we've just had Good Cats.

We are currently looking for someone to adopt an FIV+ cat who was probably hit by a car - he had a broken jaw, all the skin and some of the flesh pulled off his rear end area which was covered in maggots, starving, near death. But between the cat rescue place, a good vet, a GoFundme to raise $800+ to pay for medical bills, and a lot of work, now he's OK. Got him fixed up and he's super, super friendly, just wants to be in your lap more than anything else, put back on a lot of the lost weight, his fur is growing back in, he's a Good Cat.

20170625_152321
This is him at adoption day (we bring him to a Petco on the weekends for cat adoption days): we can leave his cage door open and just pet him a bit and he's totally chill about it and doesn't try to run away or anything.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jul 20, 2017

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Awww. Our two are both shelter cats... one had stomach cancer about 3 year ago, but beat it with chemo. She's like, 11 now, has scoliosis and arthritis but she's such a little sweetie. Well, to people, she's a bitch towards the other cat and the dog. Ironic that she's the boss given as how she's the runtiest thing in the house.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Spent the evening pre-celebrating her promotion and ran across a mini car meet. There was a blue EvoX in attendance so I showed her what exactly it was I was leaning towards.

SHE HATES IT.

I'm crushed.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Rhyno posted:

Spent the evening pre-celebrating her promotion and ran across a mini car meet. There was a blue EvoX in attendance so I showed her what exactly it was I was leaning towards.

SHE HATES IT.

I'm crushed.

Good thing you're buying the car for you to drive, then :shrug:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Raluek posted:

Good thing you're buying the car for you to drive, then :shrug:

I like when she likes the things I like. She loves the Miata!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So that super cheap compressor bit me in the rear end today. Hard. It seemed like it was pulling more power than the original compressor, and my mileage took a big hit (about 7 mpg - I'm used to a 2-3 mpg hit). Locked up on me today on the highway.

Clutch was a trooper for the 15 seconds or so it took me to realize what was shrieking and turn off the ac switch. Amazed it didn't throw/shred the belt, but I don't really trust the belt after that kind of abuse at 3000 rpm. Guess I get to replace the lines and condenser now.. on top of the compressor.. and flush black death out of the evaporator. :fuckoff: Just gonna do what I should have done and go with a used OEM compressor, and go with R152a this time.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Schindler's Lift, eh?

holy poo poo.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

So that super cheap compressor bit me in the rear end today. Hard. It seemed like it was pulling more power than the original compressor, and my mileage took a big hit (about 7 mpg - I'm used to a 2-3 mpg hit). Locked up on me today on the highway.

Clutch was a trooper for the 15 seconds or so it took me to realize what was shrieking and turn off the ac switch. Amazed it didn't throw/shred the belt, but I don't really trust the belt after that kind of abuse at 3000 rpm. Guess I get to replace the lines and condenser now.. on top of the compressor.. and flush black death out of the evaporator. :fuckoff: Just gonna do what I should have done and go with a used OEM compressor, and go with R152a this time.

holy poo poo.

Did you recharge it, or did the shop do that? What's the chance of it locking up like that due to an overcharge?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

So put a turbo on the Miata or LSx it or something. Problem solved :)

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

My wife hates almost every car I love but I'm holding ok to the fact that one day when I can afford it I will own a GTR of some kind even if she hates it's guts

My mum used to call my dads 37 Ford his mistress because she hated the thing and he wouldn't get rid of it lol

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Adiabatic posted:

If you spend most of your time focusing on things you really enjoy (to your own betterment) while politely/effortlessly shrugging off drama others would happily offload on you, it is certain you will be considered an rear end in a top hat merely because humans are jealous af. Other people will think you are really cool for focusing on thing - those people are your friends.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
My wife does the Warboys V8 salute when she sees my car, so my advice to Rhyno and Tusen is :sever:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Raluek posted:

Did you recharge it, or did the shop do that? What's the chance of it locking up like that due to an overcharge?

It was charged by weight by the shop. If anything, it was slightly undercharged (due to me be being awesome at math - it would have been 2.4 oz undercharged), but there's a decent chance it had too much oil. :sigh:

Apparently the evaporator core is parallel flow too, so that may be an extra bit of gently caress you dumped in my lap, depending how badly the compressor failed. The compressor failed with less than 1000 miles on it, so I'm crossing my fingers that it didn't run long enough to poo poo up the system too bad (hopefully the screen in the orifice tube caught anything before it got in there?). I won't know until I yank the lines though, which won't be until next week. And depending how badly it got hosed, I may not have time to fix it until the 1st week of August.

Pressures looked fine when it was first charged, but it seemed like the compressor was lugging the engine a lot more than the old one did - had to reset the ECU to get it to idle properly, and if I try to turn on the ac now, the idle jumps up to almost 1500. I took a huge hit in MPG when it was working too (30ish mpg down to 23). So... not sure if it was just a lovely rebuild, or if the compressor got damaged from oil/charge/etc.

My hopes aren't too high though - for a couple of miles before it failed, it started cutting out (electrically - clutch was disengaging - for a few seconds at a time, then it'd run for about 30 seconds) - I'm guessing either the high pressure or low pressure switch were unhappy with something. If it was the high pressure switch, that might mean it shat itself real good and clogged poo poo up on the high side in a hurry. :can:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jul 20, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There is a town in Indiana called "Mechanicsburg."

Carry on.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
There's a few of them in the US, I know of the one in Pennsylvania.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanicsburg

Yes, that's where you got your wagons fixed by mechanics.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Ether Frenzy posted:

My wife does the Warboys V8 salute when she sees my car, so my advice to Rhyno and Tusen is :sever:

Too late for Tusen, he's planted his seed

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Rhyno posted:

My wife loves Miatas too but hates almost literally every other car I have an interest in or could afford. No stupid vans, no Volvo wagons, no 90s Japanese warm hatches for me.

Her dream car is a Viper GTS and if I won the lottery tomorrow I'd buy her one and she'd definitely kill herself in it. :shobon:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So her life insurance policy and will are up to date, right?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

You Am I posted:

Too late for Tusen, he's planted his seed

Take her to a concert with a really good sub setup and go find the spot where it's the loudest.

I unintentionally found about about this 'trick' years ago.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Take her to a concert with a really good sub setup and go find the spot where it's the loudest.

:gonk:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Adiabatic posted:

monsterzero posted:

Same. When I was an angry young man I raged at things that were never meant for me anyway. Now I don't care and I'm a lot happier and only occasionally performativly hate things for lulz.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

If you spend most of your time focusing on things you really enjoy (to your own betterment) while politely/effortlessly shrugging off drama others would happily offload on you, it is certain you will be considered an rear end in a top hat merely because humans are jealous af. Other people will think you are really cool for focusing on thing - those people are your friends.

:yeah:

I didn't really notice it happening, but over the last 4-5 years, I've simply gotten less and less likely to give a poo poo, unless it's something I'm personally interested in.

Everything else is just a waste of time.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I used to do this at raves all the time.

Except I'd just sit up against the speakers.

Drugs can be bad. And I can't hear a drat thing you're saying BECAUSE THAT loving PHONE WON'T STOP RINGING SOMEBODY ANSWER THE loving THING ALREADY

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I can't hear a drat thing you're saying BECAUSE THAT loving PHONE WON'T STOP RINGING SOMEBODY ANSWER THE loving THING ALREADY

Phone won't stop ringing? More like I'm perched on the wing of a b52 during takeoff.

I can't hear poo poo humans speak, but boyyyyy howdy if there is one slight tink amiss inside of an engine I know it before anyfuckingbodyelse.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cursedshitbox posted:

Phone won't stop ringing? More like I'm perched on the wing of a b52 during takeoff.

I can't hear poo poo humans speak, but boyyyyy howdy if there is one slight tink amiss inside of an engine I know it before anyfuckingbodyelse.
It comes from owning crap cars.

Its not about hearing the sound of something not working right. It's hearing the sound of something unexpectedly not working right that's the necessary skill.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

cursedshitbox posted:

Yeah, I've gotten to the point where trying to use a phone just pisses me off. Also pisses off the people I'm trying to talk to. :sigh:

But anything high or low pitched - like the tink of a tiny screw falling off of something and bouncing off of a desk, counter, floor, etc (or some rear end in a top hat driving by in a clapped out car with $5000 in subs in it) gets my attention in a hurry. The latter is pretty lovely when you live where I do. :argh:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Hi, my name is Cat Interceptor and in case you missed it in that thread with waaaay too many goddamn Subarus I have a huge loving mental problem.

JFC why. WHY

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

So true. I'm an rear end in a top hat because I refuse to get drawn into drama and bullshit that has nothing to do with me. Fiance is slowly getting better at ignoring things that don't matter but things still get to her a lot more than me.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

My wife hates almost every car I love but I'm holding ok to the fact that one day when I can afford it I will own a GTR of some kind even if she hates it's guts
My mum used to call my dads 37 Ford his mistress because she hated the thing and he wouldn't get rid of it lol
Somehow I lucked out and my fiance actually enjoys most of the cars. She loves the Courier, wants the E30 in our wedding photos and loves cruising around the E28. She doesn't understand the 320i but understands it's sentimental and likes that I have the race car and other projects to keep me busy. Hell, she's the one that started looking for houses and insisted we had parking space for at least six cars inside.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Hi, my name is Cat Interceptor and in case you missed it in that thread with waaaay too many goddamn Subarus I have a huge loving mental problem.

JFC why. WHY
The first step is admitting you have a problem. The second is embracing that problem. I'd say you're doing ok. Love that generation

So anyone have experience designing brake caliper mounting adapter brackets? Not sure if I'll mess with it before the move but I think it's time to reinstall a CAD program and start reteaching myself.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

InitialDave posted:

It comes from owning crap cars.

Speaking of!
https://www.olx.ua/obyavlenie/prodam-range-rover-4x4-2-5-diesel-bmw-IDtHMao.html#c5524009e7

https://www.olx.ua/obyavlenie/range-rover-IDqPFOo.html#c5524009e7

https://www.olx.ua/obyavlenie/renzh-2-5-dizel-IDq8FSc.html#c5524009e7

https://www.olx.ua/obyavlenie/prodam-avtomobil-rover-land-rover-discovery-2007-IDsMOXV.html#c5524009e7

diesel 5 speed p38s (gutless, but stout engine), and a diesel 5mt LR3. gently caress me I need an adult like woah.

FWIW I hear Russian just fine, probably because they all yell.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
You can find a diesel P38 for almost half that here, if you can live with it being RHD.

Might be a bit rough round the edges though.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

My wife loved my CTS-V and my Volvo wagon. I think I just need to find a CTS-V wagon for wife approval perfection.

I too am deaf as poo poo...in my right ear. Tinnitus all the time and now I have to make sure I'm to the right of people so I can hear anything they say. :(

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

InitialDave posted:

You can find a diesel P38 for almost half that here, if you can live with it being RHD.

Might be a bit rough round the edges though.

I can count on one hand the number of rovers that aren't rough.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
All this hearing loss talk, I should probably get tested. If I'm frying something at the stove I can't hear a single word my wife is saying.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Mine just came upon me in the last month or so. It sounds like I may have Menier's disease though. :( Seems like it's pretty rare and unfun so far. Especially since drinking booze makes me dizzy now (like 1 beer vs getting dizzy at 10 :v:).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

bolind posted:

All this hearing loss talk, I should probably get tested. If I'm frying something at the stove I can't hear a single word my wife is saying.

To save you time/money I can tell you right now that you're loving deaf m8. :/

• Locked thread