Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

queeb posted:

what's the best solo character?

All of them.

No, really.

Your real question that only you can answer is "which one suits my play style the most?".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

DancingShade posted:

All of them.

No, really.

Your real question that only you can answer is "which one suits my play style the most?".

This is 100% the truth. You like getting all up in the monsters face? There's a class for that. You want to hang back and lob things are them? There are classes for that too. I started off playing Valkyrie as it felt like I was playing Soul Caliber with Sophitia. Now I'm trying out the Dark Knight and its a more aggressive Valk with no shield.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I really enjoy the Musa. Fun combo's and crazy mobility makes for something I think is fun and engaging to play.

TVDinna
Feb 17, 2013
So for all the PNR goons that were interested in whaling, here is a good guide for what you gotta work on for us to get going on some weekend whaling trips: http://dulfy.net/2016/07/01/black-desert-hunting-and-whaling-life-skill-guide/

Start doing a few of the dailies when you have time and when you reach Beginner 10, you can use Apprentice Hunting Rifles. Get one of those to +5 and it should be good enough for the time being.

When we make whale hunting groups, it will sort loot quality by group damage, and 3 groups can loot.
With 3 groups, it depends on how good the guns we use are, but probably in the ball park of 30 mins for a kill with 3 full groups.
I imagine the best way to sort groups is just to invite from the top downwards for groups, weakest hunter of that group should drive.
It might be possible to jam 9 people on to a single fishing boat but we'll have to see if that works or not.
Plan to bring 2-3 rifles of decent quality so that we don't need to detour to repair.

Tentative time for the first hunting trip will be end of July weekend. This gives 2 weeks to get to Beginner 10 and then jam a few stones into the rifles.

ALSO: Hedgehog pet is overpowered as gently caress for hunting since you loot the experience so a proc from the pet gives you double experience.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So I hit level 51 on my Musa and the game is slowing down a bit so I'm thinking I should look at getting into the trade professions. I've got the starting town connected to calpheon through heidel and keplan and some 28 points to spare. I have a few workers farming potatoes but really what I need is some kind of Base industry and a routine that goes with it.

Any good guides to help me along from where I am? Maybe a skill and item set too, I've finally got a ton of cash and some 100+ black stones to spare.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
How do the dude in this video get that skill shortcut overlay in the bottom right? (Skip ahead a minute or so)

J
Jun 10, 2001

Demiurge4 posted:

So I hit level 51 on my Musa and the game is slowing down a bit so I'm thinking I should look at getting into the trade professions. I've got the starting town connected to calpheon through heidel and keplan and some 28 points to spare. I have a few workers farming potatoes but really what I need is some kind of Base industry and a routine that goes with it.

Any good guides to help me along from where I am? Maybe a skill and item set too, I've finally got a ton of cash and some 100+ black stones to spare.

Just north of keplan at keplan quarry there is a coal node there, pick that up. You can use coal + melted iron shards to make steel, which youll want to use to make steel tools to get started gathering. Just west of heidel, you'll want to go to the lynch farm ruins and talk to the npc. There should be a dialogue option (I think it costs 30 or 35 energy) to unlock the excavation node. Get that excavation node at lynch farm ruins, it provides trace of savagery. Trace of savagery has a variety of uses but the one most relevant to you will probably be using it to make metal solvent via alchemy. Metal solvent is processed with metal bars to make pure crystals, which are used to make shining steel tools. Even better for gathering, once you have the gathering skill to use them. West of velia at coastal cliff there is an iron and copper ore node, I would pick those up since you'll need both of them for various things at some point.

On gathering, 2 of the most useful things from gathering are just logs and rough stone. Logs you get from chopping any tree, rough stone you get from mining rocks like feldspar and granite. There are no worker nodes you can use to get these, you always have to gather them yourself and they are needed to make things like better cooking/alchemy utensils. If you're ever unsure of what to spend energy on gathering, you can never go wrong chopping trees or mining rocks.

For gear, check this video. It has shortcuts in the description to skip to what you're interested in.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

Morrolan TV makes good informative guides.
here is his worker empire guide which is pretty good

Here are some guides for CP:
Calpheon Daily quests guide
Morrolan's CP guide

It is difficult to write a good guide on this topic with just text, videos work much better as they provide plenty of visual examples. The whole topic of nodes, workers, worker empire, cp is gigantic and intimidating. The best tip i can come with as someone that recently got into it and now have a pretty decent grasp of it is to watch videos, try it out a bit for yourself, watch the same videos to get a better understanding of it and keep practicing at it and before long it will all be fairly understandable.

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jul 14, 2017

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Ineptitude posted:

How do the dude in this video get that skill shortcut overlay in the bottom right? (Skip ahead a minute or so)

I have that too, but I have no idea where it came from sorry :(

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

Press Escape, click Edit UI; the element you're talking about is named Action Combo Guide. Drag it wherever you want that massive eyesore or press the eye icon to disable it.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Not quite ASSWAD but I still feel special.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Desperately seeking Sausan

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010
I just hit level 10 and I feel like I have no idea what is going on. Is that normal?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Yeah. Level 10 is a couple of minutes of gameplay. You easily get to level 50 without any idea whats going on, if you follow the black spirit questline around.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Lysandus posted:

I just hit level 10 and I feel like I have no idea what is going on. Is that normal?

I have over 4 days worth of gametime for a game I got 5 days ago and when I'm actually playing and reading chat it sounds like people are speaking another language. Only things that seem important thus far:

+Don't sell your blackstones yet, prices are bad for selling
+kunochi is a dead class
+only use pearls to get weight increases and inventory slots and maybe value packs; everything else can be purchased from the marketplace if you are lucky and/or diligent
+Don't waste your time enchanting jack or poo poo until you've got end game gear
+Get a witch/wizard and use it to farm
+always be afk fishing or afk running around with a trade pack on your back or afk something, the game legit doesnt have to be 'closed' use the 'put in system tray' option when hitting end game

This may be bad advice tho who knows!

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

All good advice except the kuno part.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Yall need to get to the Terrmian Waterpark and do the 4 dailiy quests for Terrmian Seal.

10 of those seals lets you buy Coral Crown which takes a costume slot and grants +1 luck. This means that F2P players (people not buying pearl underwear) are able to reach max luck.

As an added bonus 3 of the quests rewards memory fragments.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
I found out over the weekend that if you skip the black spirit quests you can get up to Level 49 with 99.9999~% on the exp and it'll get locked until you do the black spirit quest for that level range. That's about 20 or so quests back so I've got to go back to Calpheon and burn through the quests so I can get to 50. Thermian Waterpark is easy to get the seals. I just got 1 Crown. I'll need to check to see if each of my characters can do the quests or if its limited to family name.

J
Jun 10, 2001

If you're level 49.999 and stuck there, check your black spirit quests and look for one about a giant catfishman Qoobe. I don't think you need to do any pre requisite quests for it to be there, and that will unlock your experience and let you level past 50.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Why do pearl items end up on the marketplace, especially so frequently?

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Cheap Shot posted:

Some people have entirely too much disposable income.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Revolver Bunker posted:

I found out over the weekend that if you skip the black spirit quests you can get up to Level 49 with 99.9999~% on the exp and it'll get locked until you do the black spirit quest for that level range. That's about 20 or so quests back so I've got to go back to Calpheon and burn through the quests so I can get to 50. Thermian Waterpark is easy to get the seals. I just got 1 Crown. I'll need to check to see if each of my characters can do the quests or if its limited to family name.

J posted:

If you're level 49.999 and stuck there, check your black spirit quests and look for one about a giant catfishman Qoobe. I don't think you need to do any pre requisite quests for it to be there, and that will unlock your experience and let you level past 50.
Yep, there's no prerequisites for the level past 50 quest, though you'll probably still want to do the earlier black spirit quests if its a character you want to play for any extended period of time since you get like 30 (?) or so item slots.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Cheap Shot posted:

Picture this:
There are people with so much extra money (single, making 90K+ in IT) that spending a grand a month on the one game they play is nothing to them.

I have a friend who spent $5,000 on GW2 cosmetics and account items in the first six months or so. He's rich and bored.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Out of Tamer/Ranger/Berserker/DK what class should I play?

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Can you get pk'd when travelling by horse or carriage? Not sure if I should roll a second alt for trading/transporting.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I used to just sell a PLEX in eve online whenever I ran out of money because gently caress grinding in that game. Sometimes you just wanna have a good time.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Inzombiac posted:

Picture this:
There are people with so much extra money (single, making 90K+ in IT) that spending a grand a month on the one game they play is nothing to them.

I have a friend who spent $5,000 on GW2 cosmetics and account items in the first six months or so. He's rich and bored.

Ah the electrostatic earspeaker market.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Kild posted:

I was considering Ranger but it seems it has a lot of melee abilities as well. Was hoping it'd be similar to Archer mode in Archeage.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Tahirovic posted:

I was considering Ranger but it seems it has a lot of melee abilities as well. Was hoping it'd be similar to Archer mode in Archeage.

Ranger is the lastest class I'm playing right now and there's quite a bit of bow skills that can be used. A lot of the have skills that let you chain and combo between a lot of them so you can flip around and lob arrows forever. The knife and kick skills are if things get a bit too close to you. If you're good at managing spacing and keeping enemies zoned that melee won't ever really be a need.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Revolver Bunker posted:

Ranger is the lastest class I'm playing right now and there's quite a bit of bow skills that can be used. A lot of the have skills that let you chain and combo between a lot of them so you can flip around and lob arrows forever. The knife and kick skills are if things get a bit too close to you. If you're good at managing spacing and keeping enemies zoned that melee won't ever really be a need.

Until you hit 56 and your awakening is pretty much pure melee.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Kild posted:

Tamer - Normally you can only aggro 8 mobs at a time, but tamer can pull 16 because the pet can aggro another 8, so they are pretty good at grinding really dense areas because of this. However in certain areas sometimes the pet pathing gets all hosed up. A really strong 1v1 class if that's your thing.
Ranger - Starts with a bow, but post-awakening they get a sword and become more of a squishy melee assassin type class. The bait and switch turned a lot of people off from the class who wanted a ranged class. Also they have to drink lots of mana potions.
Berserker - This class is a bit of a late bloomer. Most of the damage pre-awakening with the double axes is in your whirlwind ability. After 56 you get a sweet megaman arm cannon, but it doesn't start to feel really solid until level 58 or 59 when the cooldowns on abilities get lower. That said, berserker ends up having 4 different grabs that you can chain together to hold someone down for a really long time or move them around. Best class for griefing anyone fishing AFK outside of a safe zone. Also extremely strong in 1v1s.
DK - The "best" class of the 4, DKs are really mobile and post-awakening have multiple huge aoe damaging abilities. Top tier at basically every combat facet of the game (grinding, 1v1, group PVP)

Most important thing is to pick the class you enjoy though. At the end of the day the game is grindy so you better be having fun with it.

mike12345 posted:

Can you get pk'd when travelling by horse or carriage? Not sure if I should roll a second alt for trading/transporting.

Yes, if you are outside of a safe zone. It happens extremely rarely - there are utter shitloads of people AFK pathing everywhere, and after only 3 kills the PKer will be at negative karma. If they go further than that they are looking at many hours of grinding to get back to positive karma, and while they are red anyone can attack them for free and the PKer will have to flag up and risk more karma to defend himself. Dying outside the desert when negative karma has really stiff penalties, most people are not willing to go red outside the desert for very long. Not a very entertaining way to get any laughs when so many potential victims are likely to be AFK, so they won't even be around to complain about being killed.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

How quick can you awaken? And rangers have to chug mana pots after awakening too?

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

J posted:

Yes, if you are outside of a safe zone. It happens extremely rarely - there are utter shitloads of people AFK pathing everywhere, and after only 3 kills the PKer will be at negative karma. If they go further than that they are looking at many hours of grinding to get back to positive karma, and while they are red anyone can attack them for free and the PKer will have to flag up and risk more karma to defend himself. Dying outside the desert when negative karma has really stiff penalties, most people are not willing to go red outside the desert for very long. Not a very entertaining way to get any laughs when so many potential victims are likely to be AFK, so they won't even be around to complain about being killed.

Aha. Still new to this karma thing, but don't intend to pvp much anyway.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Kild posted:

How quick can you awaken? And rangers have to chug mana pots after awakening too?

You don't have to chug mana pots even unawakened if you're willing to slow down your farm speed a bit.

If you just want to spam your "AOE arrow rain" ability thing while cartwheeling endlessly, then yes you will need to drink mana potions on cooldown endlessly.

Awakened ranger was fun but I didn't like the lack of a simple double tap side dodge - it's very forwards and backwards focused. It totally works and is very effective (serious burst damage too) but it just didn't click with me.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Digital_Jesus posted:

Until you hit 56 and your awakening is pretty much pure melee.

I didn't realize it was going to be that restricted. Now I'm a bit sad about my Ranger. I wonder how long before they add a musketeer class. Is Kunoichi worth a try?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Revolver Bunker posted:

I didn't realize it was going to be that restricted. Now I'm a bit sad about my Ranger. I wonder how long before they add a musketeer class. Is Kunoichi worth a try?

It's more effective than the "every class but mine or the one I am complaining about being OP today is poo poo" brigade would have you think.

Stick an infinity crystal of healing into your weapon though because if there is a non-awakening self heal then I didn't bother to note it down.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Could someone do a quick writeup on boss alts?

Like what level/gear they need, where should they be parked for maximum boss coverage/access, how many alts you need, which bosses are best to farm, etc.

tastychicken
Jul 17, 2007
Title text goes here

Ineptitude posted:

Could someone do a quick writeup on boss alts?

Like what level/gear they need, where should they be parked for maximum boss coverage/access, how many alts you need, which bosses are best to farm, etc.

+7 main hand, +7 off hand, life skill clothes, throw any character right into the boss' face until it drops something pretty.
Stop caring if you die.

Kzarka, Bheg and Dim Tree are the "best" bosses.
Kzarka drops Liverto- and Kzarka-boxes, and sometimes lovely rings.
Bheg drops gloves and Liverto-boxes.
Dim Tree drops a belt, the Dim Tree Armor and Liverto.

Park an alt near Western Guard camp and you can run to Bheg, Dim Tree, Karanda and Red Nose in under 2 1/2 minute.

tastychicken fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jul 20, 2017

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist
a well played ranger post 56 is 75% ranged 25% melee in PvE, and 50% ranged 50% melee in PvP. You use melee for cc/burst (~20s timers) and bow for everything else. And half our sword abilities worth using are mid-range column-style attacks that I wouldn't classify as melee. The class gets melee post 56 yeah, but by no means does it become a melee class. The video in the OP is pretty much how the class plays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w19y1rWUtk

In PvE I use my melee bursts (basically all your sword abilities except cold blade) on a pack or two, then use wotw->shotgun for all mobs not in tight density to eachother until all my sword timers are back up. If I have no mana, I blasting gust cancel (bow) when necessary to gap close, pull ranged mobs, and regen mana. You don't need to spam mana pots; shoving two extraction gems on your mainhand will give you nearly 100% uptime on shotgun spam which is still very formidable dps in PvE and offer you lots of recovery on your multi-hit (all of them) sword abilities. Durability cost is another matter; shotgun spamming results in my weapons breaking in ~60 minutes of grinding simply because it hits a target (and checks for durability loss) 12 + 5 = 17 times per skill cast (which is why its called shotgun)

In PvP I use bow to maintain gaps (get used to middle mouse camera control), and use the rangers insane mobility (sword and bow) to get them to whiff their timers, then punish with sword grab and burst damage. Then I swap back to bow again, and either finish them off or kite until all my timers are back up (~20s). Noone should ever be able to get away from you or catch up so long as you have mana pots.

The class has tremendous versatility but its basically as much a twitch shooter as an MMO can get. If you aren't spinning your mouse like crazy to take advantage of your crazy forward/backward mobility, using middle mouse (default bind) to change your attack angle during the majority of your qcancels (Blasting Gust) and fcancels (Ultimate Evasive Shot), or ignoring the potential of wotw/shotgun (on downed targets especially) you'll probably resort to the sword too much and your effectiveness will suffer.

If you don't want a fast-paced class that requires swaps between short and long range the split second the situation calls for it, ranger wont be your cup of tea. Ranger is a high skill cap glass cannon midrange assassin that is incredibly rewarding and effective if you can handle the speed. Your survival is tied to your ability to stay mobile and opportunistic. I can't think of any other class in a action rpg or mmo that can match the pace of ranger which is why i love mine so much

Pick witch/wizard if you want to sit in the back tapping artillery buttons every few seconds. It's slow paced, low effort, boring (to me), and low skill cap, but the two classes are drat effective at their gimmick. And you don't have to be good at video games to play them, which is nothing to be ashamed of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
So I took the time to redownload the game and it gave me 100 million silver and I see goontang was renamed and deader than ever.

Is there a new goon guild? Is there a point to the endgame now if you aren't a no-lifer?