Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

SirPhoebos posted:

My only issue with my current playthrough is that a neighbor that I can't get rid of has the same map color as I do. Makes things a bit confusing

There is no such thing as a neighbor you can't get rid of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Dallan Invictus posted:

Frankly I am astonished CW lasted as long as it did without this happening (or the OP going permanently insane, which was my first guess as to why it had been replaced). Will definitely go look at the new one.

poo poo, bg started out insane, as anyone who willingly undertakes an Aurora LP must be.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Psycho Landlord posted:

There is no such thing as a neighbor you can't get rid of.

I don't care if I'm a pacifistic xenophile, if we share borders and a map color I will do everything in my power to see your empire burn.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

GamingHyena posted:

I don't care if I'm a pacifistic xenophile, if we share borders and a map color I will do everything in my power to see your empire burn.

You invite them into your Federation and then you insult xenophobic warmongers until they come for you. Immediately end the war by surrendering your putative ally's planets. Rinse and repeat until they're small enough that when you kick them out of the Federation they immediately apply to be your vassal. Absorb them into your empire and insult the xenophobes until they declare war, allowing you to liberate your former allies planetsm

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

So... did I miss some big announcement, or is everyone just not talking about the fact that 1.8 apparently lets you modify the traits of robots?

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
My favourite thing from the Tweets was Synth-friend XVIV. It was on an ugly planet; a Blorg planet.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
How do I get a positive modifier for secular state? My governing ethic is already fanatic spiritualist. :confused: I don't have any spiritualist civic options so...

Atsushogob
Oct 7, 2008

Sanctum posted:

How do I get a positive modifier for secular state? My governing ethic is already fanatic spiritualist. :confused: I don't have any spiritualist civic options so...

What are your current active civics?

To expand a bit, Secular State will be active if you have certain civics, such as Philosopher King, so it might be one you currently have running.

Atsushogob fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jul 19, 2017

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Sanctum posted:

Atsushogob posted:

What are your current active civics?

Specifically, you need to have a theocratic "government type", not just a Fanatic Spiritualist ethic, to change Secular State to the positive modifier (Pious Polity). Government types are set by your ethics and civic, which both weight towards certain government types (civics usually weight more than ethics). Usually having Fanatic Spiritualist is enough to fall into one of the theocratic governments UNLESS:

a) you have a civic that weights away from one of the qualifying ones (so one of Warrior Culture, Citizen Service, Philosopher King, and sometimes Agrarian Idyll), and,
b) you DON'T have a civic that weights toward a theocratic government (one of Imperial Cult, Inwards Perfection, or Exalted Priesthood).

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jul 19, 2017

Atsushogob
Oct 7, 2008
A much better explanation than mine, thank you. I wasn't aware of the hard specifics of it, I just knew how to make the modifier go away, so I'm glad to know the actual mechanics of it.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Crazycryodude posted:

So... did I miss some big announcement, or is everyone just not talking about the fact that 1.8 apparently lets you modify the traits of robots?

The real question is, once you upload your minds to synth bodies can you give yourself drill hands? :getin:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Aurora looks kind of like a modern Stars!, at least in the "literally an office program but about spaceships" way.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah, basically. People like to give EVE poo poo about being spreadsheets in space, but Aurora is literally a spreadsheet about 70% of the time.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

Aurora looks kind of like a modern Stars!, at least in the "literally an office program but about spaceships" way.

'modern'

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Crazycryodude posted:

Yeah, basically. People like to give EVE poo poo about being spreadsheets in space, but Aurora is literally a spreadsheet about 70% of the time.

Sounds bad

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Aurora actually seems like it would be pretty amazing for the microscopic subset of people who would be willing to put up with how archaic and abstract its presentation is. People make fun of EVE for being space spreadsheets because of its players doing boring, largely automated interactions. Aurora is space spreadsheets because you can adjust like 50 individual factors for how your ships' bathrooms work before moving on to their sinks.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

It is very emphatically not for everyone. But if you're the kind of person it can get its hooks into, it's like the best game ever made.

shas
Jul 27, 2011

turn off the TV posted:

Aurora actually seems like it would be pretty amazing for the microscopic subset of people who would be willing to put up with how archaic and abstract its presentation is. People make fun of EVE for being space spreadsheets because of its players doing boring, largely automated interactions. Aurora is space spreadsheets because you can adjust like 50 individual factors for how your ships' bathrooms work before moving on to their sinks.

I can confirm, Aurora is pretty amazing

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Eve also rightly gets poo poo because it's an amazingly pretty game full of awesome spaceships which in no way matches up to the fun of the actual gameplay.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
That's one thing I never really understood about large scale RTS's (especially space RTS's). All the time spent making the models & effects really pretty helps them sell the game, yet the players who demand pretty spaceships spend almost no time looking at them. Too actually play these games well you have to spend 99% of your time zoomed out watching icons float around each other. You'd think that the market would have adjusted to favor games with minimal graphics, but that obviously hasn't happened.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Nevets posted:

That's one thing I never really understood about large scale RTS's (especially space RTS's). All the time spent making the models & effects really pretty helps them sell the game, yet the players who demand pretty spaceships spend almost no time looking at them. Too actually play these games well you have to spend 99% of your time zoomed out watching icons float around each other. You'd think that the market would have adjusted to favor games with minimal graphics, but that obviously hasn't happened.

Nexus: The Jupiter Incident, emphatically disagrees, as do all the Homeworld games honestly. Though I guess that's the reason you said 'large scale' in which case, yeah, the AI Wars model of 'a huge number of sprite ships' is probably the best model. Likewise Planetary Annihilation, which took the unit detail down to its bare minimum.

I dunno, people need their eye-candy I guess.

EDIT: Come to think of it was the eye-candy that got me to impulse buy Wargame: European Escalation, a game in which looking at your stupidly pretty units is actively detrimental, like you say. It's me, I'm the problem :(

Nickiepoo fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 19, 2017

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Nevets posted:

That's easy to understand. Humans are visual beings. 99% of the time, a player zooming in to a giant space battle wants to see a flashy battle with huge ships and lots of explosions. Players will want to do this even though they spend most of their time zoomed out.

Making minimalist games doesn't make any sense, since you automatically lose 99% of your audience. Sure, there will be some people who wouldn't mind staring at nothing but icons the entire time. But not enough for a space RTS to make money. Hell, this kind of thing maybe works in some kind of turn-based simulation, but even those struggle enormously, since their target audience is tiny.

Case in point: In Supreme Commander, I spent most of my time zoomed out, dirigating large clumps of icons around the map. But still, without the option of zooming in to see your commander toasting dozens of units with his microwave laser, the game would lose a lot of its charm.

Personally I think, if you wouldn't mind playing in some sort of graphic-less mode with only icons, why even play a video game? Just take a calculator, a pencil and some paper and go to town. (And I'm not joking, back when I was a child and had no computer, I would sometimes waste time by making up RPGs and space games on paper. As long as I didn't mind having zero graphics, this was perfectly fine.)

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I watch like every battle in Stellaris entirely because they look cool.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I watched every battle in Stellaris because the fleets very otften need to be babysat so they don't do anything stupid or get ganked.

I also enjoy looking at pretty space ships but don't so much care for playing space naval architect because selecting how to wedge and AI core in somewhere or where to put conduits is about as fun as it sounds.

That being said, Wiz the ships in Stellaris could really use some more variety in design and appeareance.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Psychotic Weasel posted:

That being said, Wiz the ships in Stellaris could really use some more variety in design and appeareance.

There are some really cool ship mods on the workshop that add a lot of variety for each of the existing sets. My personal favorite is The Fleet, which just adds a bunch of new sections for the existing ship types to give them different roles, but unfortunately it's not super compatible with a lot of other mods and I don't know how to edit Stellaris models.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Libluini posted:

Personally I think, if you wouldn't mind playing in some sort of graphic-less mode with only icons, why even play a video game? Just take a calculator, a pencil and some paper and go to town. (And I'm not joking, back when I was a child and had no computer, I would sometimes waste time by making up RPGs and space games on paper. As long as I didn't mind having zero graphics, this was perfectly fine.)

right, because the only difference between computer games and playing a pen & paper game with yourself is the graphics, this is definitely a sane thing for someone who has ever played a computer game to believe

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Uhhh is there a way to download older versions of mods? LEX auto updated itself and rendered my game incompatible with the new version, and I really wanted to finish this playthrough :(

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

right, because the only difference between computer games and playing a pen & paper game with yourself is the graphics, this is definitely a sane thing for someone who has ever played a computer game to believe

You know, I wasn't entirely serious when I said "I'm not joking"

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

I'm playing my first game of this and I think I have the Swarm mostly beaten, but they still have an annoying amount of fleets above some of my planets. They never got big enough to trigger the alliance against them, so right now it is just a couple empires fighting them, but they just have so many fleets. They don't defend very well though because I was able to send my doomstack fleet through their space and burn every world, but not before they ate half of the Awakened Empire that I misclicked declaring fealty to. I missed some colony ships because they captured some more planets, and are now shooting out infestors again, but they should wither after I get the rest of their worlds, right?

I don't really want to end them because they are doing a good job of beating up one of my neighbors, but also want to get them out of my space!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

hope and vaseline posted:

Uhhh is there a way to download older versions of mods? LEX auto updated itself and rendered my game incompatible with the new version, and I really wanted to finish this playthrough :(

Are you sure that it's LEX messing things up? My save is still working after the update.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

turn off the TV posted:

Are you sure that it's LEX messing things up? My save is still working after the update.

Pretty sure, the author posts it in the comments

quote:

Space Core [author] 19 hours ago
Also a warning, this build isn't compatible with any savegame based on an earlier version.

and the broken elements in my save are specifically the tracked leviathan situations and the gravekeeper I restored having a missing graphic/0 fleet strength. On top of that, it reactivated the prethoryn swarm that I had beaten earlier.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

hope and vaseline posted:

and the broken elements in my save are specifically the tracked leviathan situations and the gravekeeper I restored having a missing graphic/0 fleet strength. On top of that, it reactivated the prethoryn swarm that I had beaten earlier.

Welp, I haven't actually seen any of the LEX content so far so I guess that explains that.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Weren't civilian stations supposed to lose their weapons or something in a patch? Or is it a mod I'm running?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Nevets posted:

the solution to this is to make the pretty spaceships huge and iconic instead of making swarms of tiny pixels. condensing the basic combat unit down to mega-ship down from fleets also solves the problem with two completely divorced UI layers to customize combat fleets (one for the fleet composition and one for ship customization)

it also would've solved the problem where paradox is selling two games with deep ocean naval combat in the era of artillery as well as a space game that is also deep ocean naval combat in the age of artillery but it's kind of late to fix that now

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

toasterwarrior posted:

Weren't civilian stations supposed to lose their weapons or something in a patch? Or is it a mod I'm running?

They did, but only games started in said new patch. In any old save they'll still be armed.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

New Ship Classes also arms civilian stations.

E: Can someone with a game that's pretty far along and running mods let me know how much RAM it's using? As I understand it the game's engine is 32 bit, and I'd like to get an idea of what kind of overhead I would have for adding skyboxes.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jul 20, 2017

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-78-robomodding-robot-changes.1036193/

This week's diary is Pimp My Bot, and ends with a brief announcement about how next week they're going to talk about combat overhauls, about which I am considerably more excited.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

:stare: Please do not make Stepford Blorgs.

Unrelated, I'd love for the three ascension paths to also lead to creating "titanic lifeform" super units. Knockoff Imperator Titans for the robotics, Kaju for the biological and Avatars for the Psionics. That'd be rad. :allears:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Thyrork posted:

:stare: Please do not make Stepford Blorgs.

Unrelated, I'd love for the three ascension paths to also lead to creating "titanic lifeform" super units. Knockoff Imperator Titans for the robotics, Kaju for the biological and Avatars for the Psionics. That'd be rad. :allears:
This but homemade Leviathans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

How's this game coming along? I played at launch and enjoyed the early game but then got bored and shelved it. Worth reinstalling and getting Utopia?

• Locked thread