Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

TyrantWD posted:

And they wanted to primary Flake, which probably has to be called off because I doubt the GOP is going to want to defend two seats in Arizona next year.

Lol, as if Trump gives a poo poo about strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

I know this was probably already going to happen, but how funny would it be if it was because of his tweets last night?

The next time I get pulled over I'm going to shout "There's no drugs in the trunk, officer!' and then act all indignant when they search my trunk.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Apparently Trump is the 13 year old coming up with increasingly outlandish excuses to keep his parents out of the room with the broken window.

And in the closet of said room is a pile of skin-mags.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

skylined! posted:

is there anyway to interpret this other than the investigation team taunting trump

The only alternative explanation is that no one had gotten Mueller to say that explicitly until Trump focused the nation's attention on it.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Projection much?

There definitely aren't any illegal foreign payments from Russian banks in June 2016 and October 2015 in my business transactions. Why aren't we talking about the time Hillary secretly negotiated a deal at the mayflower hotel with Kislyak? Witch hunt!

-Trump, thus week, probably

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

skylined! posted:

is there anyway to interpret this other than the investigation team taunting trump

His lawyers could have warned him that Mueller was about to do this based on information requests.

Other than that, no, this is entirely Mueller daring Trump to fire him.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Hahahahahahahaha

Hmm, so he appointed the man he accused of giving the country away to foreigners the ... Ambassador to Russia ?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Firing Mueller because his investigation expanded its initial scope might not be such a bad idea. His supporters could easily use that as evidence of a witch hunt. Give Democrats an inch and they’ll take a yard.

OR...in a sane world that would just result in a new investigation specifically into Trump’s finances.

Edit: a beauty pageant is going to take down a President, isn’t it?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

OddObserver posted:

Hmm, so he appointed the man he accused of giving the country away to foreigners the ... Ambassador to Russia ?

truly he despises the United States

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

ReidRansom posted:

The Manafort being in hock to the Russians for $17M thing has me wondering why we don't require a background check as a qualification for working on a high level campaign like that. Any other job that puts you close to the levers of power like that is going to require a thorough investigation, including financial matters. Seems there's a big flaw in our system there that you aren't required to get clearance until your candidate/employer has won and you're on the government payroll, despite them having access to high level intelligence and the potential president's ear long before that.

Manafort is a Russian fixer with a long history of being the go-between of Putin and authoritarian shitheels around the world. He basically showed up at Trump tower to work the campaign for free after Putin and Yanukovych (Ukraine's would-be dictator) had no further use for him after that conflict turned hot. This was all well-known throughout the course of the campaign, Republicans just don't give a poo poo.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://mobile.twitter.com/kenvogel/status/888029791143813120

"Oh god, oh god, what the gently caress did he say now?"

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Krispy Kareem posted:

Firing Mueller because his investigation expanded its initial scope might not be such a bad idea. His supporters could easily use that as evidence of a witch hunt. Give Democrats an inch and they’ll take a yard.

OR...in a sane world that would just result in a new investigation specifically into Trump’s finances.

mueller has amassed a team of like 50 top lawyers. if he is fired there will be amazingly damning poo poo ok the news that they've gathered so far within an hour

I'm not saying that's enough to stop it from happening but uh, the fallout would be catastrophic

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

exploded mummy posted:

They don't have access to that intelligence and youre suggesting that we essentially nationalize Morning Joe and CNN

You're telling me you don't think Trump was sharing whatever he learned in briefings with Manafort during the campaign? I mean, even if it was just through stupidity, he was definitely talking.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Ralepozozaxe posted:

And in the closet of said room is a pile of skin-mags.

Well, Trump is a skin man. He wishes he wasn't :smith:

EndTimesProfit
Jul 1, 2004

Don't worry son, it's just the Smilin' Mighty Jesus!

Bicyclops posted:

I really, really hope they keep doing this.

It doesn't work for everyone, though. Don't feel bad if you're stereoblind and don't get pressured into thinking there's a cure; there isn't.

Under the Republican's plan your condition is now known as "welfare eye"!

:science:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Bicyclops posted:

I really, really hope they keep doing this.

Same. I'm not even sure how it's legal to ban recordings to be honest. Is it?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

skylined! posted:

mueller has amassed a team of like 50 top lawyers. if he is fired there will be amazingly damning poo poo ok the news that they've gathered so far within an hour

I'm not saying that's enough to stop it from happening but uh, the fallout would be catastrophic

Or, they're all professionals who will not jeopardizing the renewed investigation by leaking that stuff.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ReidRansom posted:

The Manafort being in hock to the Russians for $17M thing has me wondering why we don't require a background check as a qualification for working on a high level campaign like that. Any other job that puts you close to the levers of power like that is going to require a thorough investigation, including financial matters. Seems there's a big flaw in our system there that you aren't required to get clearance until your candidate/employer has won and you're on the government payroll, despite them having access to high level intelligence and the potential president's ear long before that.

It's presumably not been an issue before because previous successful candidatea were competent and vetted their staff.p

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Chilichimp posted:

His lawyers could have warned him that Mueller was about to do this based on information requests.

Other than that, no, this is entirely Mueller daring Trump to fire him.

Disagree. They key part for me here is

quote:

The roots of Mueller’s follow-the-money investigation lie in a wide-ranging money laundering probe launched by then-Manhattan U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara last year, according to the person.

FBI agents had already been gathering information about Trump’s former campaign chairman, Paul Manafort, according to two people with knowledge of that probe. Prosecutors hadn’t yet begun presenting evidence to a grand jury. Trump fired Bharara in March.

The Bharara probe was consolidated into Mueller’s inquiry, showing that the special counsel is taking an overarching approach to his mandated investigation of Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election. Altogether, the various financial examinations constitute one thread of Mueller’s inquiry, which encompasses computer hacking and the dissemination of stolen campaign and voter information as well as the actions of former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn.

Reads to me more like someone familiar with what Bharara was probing and knows that information became part of Mueller's investigation than leaks from Mueller.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Krispy Kareem posted:

Edit: a beauty pageant is going to take down a President, isn’t it?

It may not have expanded it's initial scope though. If Mueller can make the case that Trump's finances are relevant to the investigation I can't see how it can argued that he's overstepping.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

WeAreTheRomans posted:

How many people voted for Trump not knowing he was a skin man? Too many. If only they'd known, perhaps things would be different.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

skylined! posted:

nope

republicans noticed a while ago that every time trump attacked the FBI or the rule of law a package arrived at the nearest media outlet with lots of information about the latest discoveries of trumps crimes

gregday
May 23, 2003

DaveWoo posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/kenvogel/status/888029791143813120

"Oh god, oh god, what the gently caress did he say now?"

Why would they ask trump's base for readouts?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Krispy Kareem posted:

Mueller isn't a Democrat though.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

exploded mummy posted:

Today is the first parole hearing for OJ after his armed robbery conviction.

Um...OK...but this is the Trump thread?

Also, can Mueller subpoena tax returns?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sinteres posted:

There is no way Mueller doesn't utterly despise Trump.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I just want to know that what kind of work does a guy like Manafort actually do to earn a $12M (or whatever the exact sum was) paycheck.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Sinteres posted:

His brother's sister's ex-husband's uncle's cousin's second-cousin's aunt's grandfather once spoke with a Democrat.

Mueller is a Demcorat.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

BiggerBoat posted:

Um...OK...but this is the Trump thread?

Also, can Mueller subpoena tax returns?

Can't say I'd honestly be surprised if Mueller concluded that it was really Trump who killed Anna Nicole Smith.

At least if Trump goes to trial we can be sure that the glove won't be too small

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
Its kind of bizarre reading through this thread and coming to the conclusion that much of the younger generation is largely unaware that Vietnam was waged primarily as an air war (we tried to use our superior technology to dominate the skies and murder enough VC that we would win through sheer attrition) as well as realizing that the younger generation of Americans is so accustomed to our automatic dominance of the skies that it seems a reasonable presumption that air combat in Vietnam was similar to air combat in Iraq. I believe the majority of the casualties we inflicted were from the air as well as the majority of the casualties we received were in the air. Flying a combat aircraft in Vietnam took nerves of steel and getting shot down in that chaotic environment is not actually an indictment of the pilots skill. In modern warfare the skill of the operator of a war machine is not terribly important if a competent gunner aims a weapon at them.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I'm not 100% sure what that means in this context (though I have terrrible inklings), so I'm just going to assume he wants to be a robot.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Smol posted:

I just want to know that what kind of work does a guy like Manafort actually do to earn a $12M (or whatever the exact sum was) paycheck.

Facilitating money laundering is probably his largest value add.

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

gregday posted:

Why would they ask trump's base for readouts?

:golfclap:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Smol posted:

Blowjobs. Tens of thousands of them.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

skylined! posted:

Possibly that someone told Trump this was about to happen, and that's why he made the threat when he did.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Robot Hobo posted:

Possibly that someone told Trump this was about to happen, and that's why he made the threat when he did.

He only discusses recent things unless they imprint especially strongly on him, so I think this is likely.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Smol posted:

Get someone elected president in a country where the level of corruption lets one use that job to steal billions, w/o any fraud obvious enough to be picked up by Western observers.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
This is related to a conversation some pages ago about Obama's view of the future of the ACA. I think Obama didn't really like the bill and chagrined that he had to make so many concessions. However, I think he was happy that he had pushed the conversation in the right direction, and I think rightly so, even if the ACA ended up getting hacked to bits. Remember how much of a coup that was to get any kind of health care passed. Right up to that point you literally had congresspeople, some even democrats, saying things like "Americans will never accept federal health insurance because they favor the autonomy of choosing their own". People believed this poo poo, much to their own detriment. However, now that they have seen what an -- admittedly bad -- health care program can do, it will be very difficult to take it away from them. I believe this was one of Obama's primary goals with ACA.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

evilweasel posted:

nope

republicans noticed a while ago that every time trump attacked the FBI or the rule of law a package arrived at the nearest media outlet with lots of information about the latest discoveries of trumps crimes

I think it's way more likely that Mueller was already noticeably circling Trump's finances and condos, and Trump's lawyers warned him about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Just a little context with McCain. He flew an attack plane from an aircraft carrier which was about as hideously dangerous as it gets. Taking off can kill you, landings can kill you and in between you face much faster enemy fighters all so you can point your airplane straight down to accurately drop bombs on enemy positions. I'm fully convinced that the Navy let him keep flying because nobody else is that insane.

• Locked thread