Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

VikingSkull posted:

Friesen gon win dis

god damnit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
I have a gift

it is a lovely gift

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

VikingSkull posted:

I have a gift

it is a lovely gift

use your gift on sebastian vettel

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENS

STOP DOING IT

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

kidcoelacanth posted:

YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENS

STOP DOING IT

yeah John McCain gets terminal brain cancer

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

exploded mummy posted:

inshallah

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

exploded mummy posted:

sounds pretty good now

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

https://twitter.com/jeff_gluck/status/888030573045751808

:toot:

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Bowman to the 88

https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2017/07/20/alex-bowman-hendrick-motorsports-no-88-car-dale-earnhardt-jr-2018/?linkId=100000000634288

e; God drat some of you are quick

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Good on Bowman and Hendrick

Oh christ they're sticking Byron in the 5 aren't they

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

exploded mummy posted:

Good on Bowman and Hendrick

Oh christ they're sticking Byron in the 5 aren't they

If we're lucky. gently caress Kasey Kahne.

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
I still think that's an odd decision, considering the guy has no win in the top 3 touring series.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

http://racing-reference.info/driver/Alex_Bowman
He's definitely very good at taking care of equipment and making it to the finish intact, but that's about it.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I thought Friesen or Bell was going to win last night but drat if Matt Crafton didn't find a way. That was impressive.

Speaking of 88s:

Wow, I was ready to be disappointed with Edwards/Kenseth to the 88. Good stuff.

This is "opportunity of a lifetime" territory for Bowman much like Allmendinger to Penske. Let's hope Bowman stays away from the vitamins at the gym so it doesn't end like Dinger did.

e-

L_Harrison posted:

I still think that's an odd decision, considering the guy has no win in the top 3 touring series.

Slickdrac posted:

http://racing-reference.info/driver/Alex_Bowman
He's definitely very good at taking care of equipment and making it to the finish intact, but that's about it.

Eh, if you look at the equipment he's been given for the most part, it makes sense. Put him in JRM or HMS stuff and he does fine. (e2- He got Top 10s in the Buschwacker-laden shitshow that was NXS prior to the race per year limit.)

Plus, how many drivers have made it to Cup without a Top 3 touring series win at this point.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jul 20, 2017

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I, too, think it's odd that he has no wins driving for such racing luminaries as RAB Racing and Tommy Baldwin

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

kidcoelacanth posted:

I, too, think it's odd that he has no wins driving for such racing luminaries as RAB Racing and Tommy Baldwin

I'm just glad HMS gave it to him on merit as opposed to bringing somebody in based off family lineage or daddy's money.

The stroke of good fortune which led to this is pretty incredible, though- he got the seat when Junyer was hurt because he had no ride and was only slated to run a handful of races for JRM and now he's in the 88 full-time.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Sure, he's done fine in his massive sample size of a dozen races in good equipment. But still, he's not a big name guy, he's not got really an impressive history, and he's not even run full time for 2 years. Why put him into the car?

I hope nothing but the best for him, it just doesn't make any sense to drop him in full time in the top series.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Slickdrac posted:

Sure, he's done fine in his massive sample size of a dozen races in good equipment. But still, he's not a big name guy, he's not got really an impressive history, and he's not even run full time for 2 years. Why put him into the car?

I hope nothing but the best for him, it just doesn't make any sense to drop him in full time in the top series.

Danica Patrick, Paul Menard, and Jeffrey Earnhardt got full-time rides in Cup on the basis of a sponsor willing to do anything she wanted, daddy's money, and last name respectively, and he's not worse than any of them.

The comparison which comes to mind, apples-to-oranges as it may be, is that another "not a big name guy, he's not got really an impressive history, and he's not even run full time for 2 years" story was Jeff Gordon (e- and I guess Jimmie Johnson for that matter, who had done even less than Gordon and got a Cup ride right around the time he won his first Busch race because he came to Gordon for advice on how to run a track and the iniative to come up and talk to him stuck with Gordon).

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 20, 2017

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

A lot of people in racing recognize that Bowman has talent despite being in mostly crappy rides, and Hendrick was willing to let him prove that in a top-level ride. I think that's a pretty rad change of pace.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
this thread - "goddamn Cup guys making GBS threads on the up and comers in the lower series"

also this thread - "the gently caress is that kid getting a shot in a good car for"

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

VikingSkull posted:

this thread - "goddamn Cup guys making GBS threads on the up and comers in the lower series"

also this thread - "the gently caress is that kid getting a shot in a good car for"

What?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
VikingSkull: Two different people in a thread have different opinions, which means that the entire thread is hypocritical and stupid by association

Me: Holy poo poo

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
This thread: "Buschwackers are a menace"
VikingSkull: *Autobans*

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
it's too easy

tupacalypse
Jan 1, 2013

by Pragmatica
ah yes the "i was only acting retarded!" defense

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Is the NXS race at Indy with plates going to look like the IROC races used to look?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMLGCasNlPY

...because that wouldn't be terrible. :shrug:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

What if I think buschwhackers suck AND I want young guys to have a shot in good rides?!

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

Is the NXS race at Indy with plates going to look like the IROC races used to look?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMLGCasNlPY

...because that wouldn't be terrible. :shrug:

I'd probably not only watch, but I'd also buy tix to the XFS race at IMS if they had the type of roster of drivers that ran IROC.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

tupacalypse posted:

ah yes the "i was only acting retarded!" defense

I never said I was acting

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
Elliott Sadler should drive the 88 car tbh. He's actually a proven winner.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

FuzzySkinner posted:

I'd probably not only watch, but I'd also buy tix to the XFS race at IMS if they had the type of roster of drivers that ran IROC.

Alternative suggestion: Bring back IROC.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

WindyMan posted:

Alternative suggestion: Bring back IROC.

No.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Yes.

;).

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

VikingSkull posted:

I never said I was acting

Weren't you in the marines

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

exploded mummy posted:

Weren't you in the marines

lol I never served in anything

people think I did because I posted in GiP but I only did that because it was the only non-brokebrain current events thread

then 2016 happened

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

It's cool HMS is taking kinda a risk with bowman, He's def the most deserving to get it because Keneseth and Edwards can GET hosed.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

There is also shrinking sponsorship in nascar, and I imagine Hendrick is gonna get, what, $20m a year less for the 88 now with Jr gone? He was paying Jr $15m a year, so gonna need to make some cuts.

Guys like Kenseth and Edwards would probably rather sit in their hottub than get paid less than $10m a year. For comparison, even Dinger is making $5m a year. Normally that would be a good investment, they win races, have a recognizable face, are good at shmoozing sponsor visitors, etc. But in the current sponsorship climate, that might not be the best gamble. It's possible you see the older guys keep getting squeezed out not because of ability, but because of cost.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

Also I'm pretty certain Junyur probably had a little say in who was replacing him, and he likes Bowman soooo.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/motor/2017/07/20/doug-boles-optimistic-brickyard-400-now-heading-right-direction/492439001/

Do you guys think that blaming the Speedway for the problems relating to the race is fair or do you think the problem is the current cup product?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9b26w42PbM

I was watching this footage the popped up and was kinda amazed how different the environment was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Cygni posted:

For comparison, even Dinger is making $5m a year. Normally that would be a good investment

DOES NOT COMPUTE

• Locked thread