Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

mycomancy posted:

Had a candidate give a seminar last week, and it was so bad I went and looked at his/her resume.

Manager, Theranos, 20xx to 2017

:stonk:

The Mark of Cain. Or possibly the Black Spot for their career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Clearly they have very rare experience you won't find elsewhere in the market for good reason and you should bring them on board as an example of what not to do!

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Cicero posted:

The article says this:

Remember at the time, Google was overwhelmingly a consumer-oriented company. They still kind of are, but there's definitely more effort put into enterprise products these days (also education which is somewhat similar to enterprise); Google is much more serious about selling Gsuite and its cloud platform tech now than it was in 2012.

Google kind of has the best of both worlds--they sell their advertising services to businesses for beaucoup bucks and so they have the profitability of an enterprise-oriented company, but since they inject their ads into a bunch of cheap & free consumer products, they have the pervasiveness & volume of consumer product companies.

I can see how they initially didn't try to get into the business of selling a few specialized gadgets to companies. It's not really a big market by Google standards.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
You'd think an industrial use case would be a good way to develop a product, since Glass obviously suffered from being rushed to market with very little reason to actually use it besides novelty, and rapidly becoming associated with insufferable nerds as a result.

Seems a trend with a lot of tech bubble silliness is even the actual solid ideas suffer from huge 'cart before the horse' issues.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

People have started building their own glass-likes at a fraction of the cost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkl6yVauCKg

Google botched their entry into the market and lost the prime mover advantage.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Inescapable Duck posted:

You'd think an industrial use case would be a good way to develop a product, since Glass obviously suffered from being rushed to market with very little reason to actually use it besides novelty, and rapidly becoming associated with insufferable nerds as a result.

Seems a trend with a lot of tech bubble silliness is even the actual solid ideas suffer from huge 'cart before the horse' issues.

Counterpoint: getting even a preliminary industrial experiment going takes a very long time, while getting your prototype to consumers is much easier. I'm sure with all the bad press and reviews, they were still able to extract some user interface data, and the fact that they had a demonstrable and field-tested prototype to bring to demos with industry would have helped convincing the decision-makers at those companies to approve anything.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
:ssh: Google is not a particularly well-run company. They have one really amazing product and were in the right place at the right time to get a monopoly and a ton of cash, but they can't do anything else right.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

super sweet best pal posted:

People have started building their own glass-likes at a fraction of the cost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkl6yVauCKg

Google botched their entry into the market and lost the prime mover advantage.

Google was never the prime mover. Various AR headsets have been in commercial and industrial use since the 80s.

Google Glass was an attempt to try to bring things to a consumer market with something as un-bulky as possible, which consequently meant horrible compromises in battery life and all the rest, leaving it useless but still expensive.

Take a look at that video you posted - that's a lot cheaper and has usable battery life, but the functionality is cut massively since it only runs an arduino and it's still quite bulky.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Neon Noodle posted:

:ssh: Google is not a particularly well-run company. They have one really amazing product and were in the right place at the right time to get a monopoly and a ton of cash, but they can't do anything else right.

So basically every tech giant sooner or later.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
They've done a lot pretty well and a lot pretty poorly. Gmail is nice. And I'm typing this on a Chromebook right now.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Reminder that Gmail was officially in beta for five loving years.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Mozi posted:

They've done a lot pretty well and a lot pretty poorly. Gmail is nice. And I'm typing this on a Chromebook right now.

Gmail was released in '04. It has been being continuously improved since, of course, but it's been the dominant consumer product for years. My bet would be that consumer email itself is long-term declining, as younger people flip from phone platform to phone platform. Gmail's mechanism for including photos is clunky at best.

Android's useful to me because it (A) prevents an Apple monoculture (B) iterates somewhat faster than iOS and much faster in hardware. The UI kind of sucks, even skinned.

Chromebooks rule, in the niche market of "don't want to use a phone and don't care about apps." Don't get me wrong, I've owned three, and they're superb for what they do, but I think long-term tablets are eating their lunch in the consumer market.

Ask me how often my tech predictions have been wrong. I owned Betamax.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Gmail was released in '04. It has been being continuously improved since, of course, but it's been the dominant consumer product for years. My bet would be that consumer email itself is long-term declining, as younger people flip from phone platform to phone platform. Gmail's mechanism for including photos is clunky at best.

Android's useful to me because it (A) prevents an Apple monoculture (B) iterates somewhat faster than iOS and much faster in hardware. The UI kind of sucks, even skinned.

Chromebooks rule, in the niche market of "don't want to use a phone and don't care about apps." Don't get me wrong, I've owned three, and they're superb for what they do, but I think long-term tablets are eating their lunch in the consumer market.

Google Maps is an industry leader as well.

I also grew up with a Betamax!

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Neon Noodle posted:

Actually Google has a lot of good products: search, chrome, chromebooks/chromeOS, android, maps, gmail, photos, youtube, translate, drive, docs, etc. It's true we're kind of one note on making money though.

Solkanar512 posted:

Google has a bunch of industry-leading software products/services. It's not really news to anyone who has a clue, but this is D&D.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 19, 2017

Tehdas
Dec 30, 2012

Crabtree posted:

So basically every tech giant sooner or later.

Every company pretty much. Recent examples are generally tech companies since they are the ones earning the big bucks and young enough to still be convinced that its a good idea.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Have you not noticed Google putting Android apps on Chromebooks and the corresponding increase in Chromebooks with touchscreens (even convertibles)?

Also conventional tablets seem like they've just kind of sputtered if anything.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

From what I've seen, it's generally been the opposite. Chromebooks pretty much completely ate up the market share that Android Tablets existed in and now development of new Android Tablets is kind of a barren wasteland. Though that may also have something to do with the general consensus being that the last universally "good" Android tablet was the Nvidia Shield K1, which was released two years ago and the Nexus 7 before that, which is now four years old. The one part of the market that Chromebooks aren't cannibalizing are basically iPads, and that is probably due to a combination of factors including brand/platform loyalty, the iPad hardware marketplace not being hamstrung but cut rate OEM manufacturers making lovely products using the iPad brand like Android has, and the fact that Apple doesn't really have a Chromebook equivalent.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

Solkanar512 posted:

But Maps isn't it's own product, it is part of the advertising platform.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

That's a very dumb way of looking at things.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Are you seriously trying to say, "no matter what they make, if it's monetized via ads, it's the same product"? By this logic there are only a handful of distinct products on earth: advertisement, single purchase, freemium, subscription, etc.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Cicero posted:

Are you seriously trying to say, "no matter what they make, if it's monetized via ads, it's the same product"? By this logic there are only a handful of distinct products on earth: advertisement, single purchase, freemium, subscription, etc.

All the Google products belong to alphabet, therefore they are only one.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Cicero posted:

Except he has a point due to businesses using it as advertising by being placed on there prominently, and reviews of placing being left on those businesses as part of maps, not as a separate linked product, so maps is basically advertising, just because you can use it for something else doesn't mean that's not its main purpose.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Except he has a point due to businesses using it as advertising by being placed on there prominently, and reviews of placing being left on those businesses as part of maps, not as a separate linked product, so maps is basically advertising, just because you can use it for something else doesn't mean that's not its main purpose.

Was this sentence autogenerated by a Markov Chain? Sorry, recurrent neural net; I'm getting old.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Avenging_Mikon posted:

TV is the industry, advertising is the revenue

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

trucutru posted:

All the Google products belong to alphabet, therefore they are only one.
My god, it makes so much sense now!

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Yeah I get that they use advertising to monetize the product. So Google could make literally any product on earth, and if it's ad-supported it's actually the same thing? Google starting a broadcast network and making its own TV shows is exactly the same thing as search as long as there's ads? That's dumb.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
My latest Amazon order is shipping by Amazon Logistics. Looks like an uber-like gig economy set-up for last mile delivery. https://logistics.amazon.com/

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Cicero posted:

Verily is just an attempt by Google to sell more ads by having people live longer.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

fishmech posted:

Google was never the prime mover. Various AR headsets have been in commercial and industrial use since the 80s.

Google Glass was an attempt to try to bring things to a consumer market with something as un-bulky as possible, which consequently meant horrible compromises in battery life and all the rest, leaving it useless but still expensive.

Take a look at that video you posted - that's a lot cheaper and has usable battery life, but the functionality is cut massively since it only runs an arduino and it's still quite bulky.

Glass was the first major attempt at bringing AR headsets into the mainstream, marketing them as common everyday objects.

And really, do people even need the full functionality of Glass when it'd be far more effective to have simpler set-ups Bluetoothed into a phone to serve its main purpose as a heads-up display and leave everything else it does to the phone itself? Sure, the example is far from the ideal competitor, but it's just an example I used to show that alternatives are possible.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Glass was the first major attempt at bringing AR headsets into the mainstream, marketing them as common everyday objects.

And really, do people even need the full functionality of Glass when it'd be far more effective to have simpler set-ups Bluetoothed into a phone to serve its main purpose as a heads-up display and leave everything else it does to the phone itself? Sure, the example is far from the ideal competitor, but it's just an example I used to show that alternatives are possible.

That seems a lot more convenient. Simple HUD software that can be connected to with apps or computers. Hell, license it out or open it up for anyone to use, let the nerds make literal DBZ scouters, and cyber-monocles for this cyberpunk Gilded Age we seem to be in.

Apple defining the aesthetic along with the technology was lightning in a bottle and it's not gonna happen again easily, if you're gonna make wackadoo experiments, best to broaden your base and use case rather than try to dictate who uses your product and how.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

cowofwar posted:

My latest Amazon order is shipping by Amazon Logistics. Looks like an uber-like gig economy set-up for last mile delivery. https://logistics.amazon.com/
Yeah I'm starting to see this more with my orders. Had a knock on my door a few weeks ago and I looked out to see one of these people who do the delivery taking a picture of the package on my porch.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I don't see what's clunky about including photos on Gmail? It's the same as any other email client.

There was never a chance of an Apple monoculture in the first place in that space.

Tablets have been collapsing in sales for something like 10 quarters straight. The only form of tablet that's doing well these days (in that their sales aren't consistently down year on year) are the Microsoft Surface and a few other similar devices, and those are just full-on Windows computers. Tablets aren't eating anyone's lunch anymore.

DeathSandwich posted:

From what I've seen, it's generally been the opposite. Chromebooks pretty much completely ate up the market share that Android Tablets existed in and now development of new Android Tablets is kind of a barren wasteland. Though that may also have something to do with the general consensus being that the last universally "good" Android tablet was the Nvidia Shield K1, which was released two years ago and the Nexus 7 before that, which is now four years old. The one part of the market that Chromebooks aren't cannibalizing are basically iPads, and that is probably due to a combination of factors including brand/platform loyalty, the iPad hardware marketplace not being hamstrung but cut rate OEM manufacturers making lovely products using the iPad brand like Android has, and the fact that Apple doesn't really have a Chromebook equivalent.

Er, no, the Android tablet market continues to become a greater and greater share of the tablet market as iPads shrink in the market. As of Q1 2017, while Apple remained just barely the leading manufacturer at 24.6% of the market and 8.9 million units sold, both of those are down from Q1 2016's 25.9% and 10.3 million units, and Q1 2015's 27.2% and 12.6 million units. At this point in time, Apple has experienced 13 quarters consecutively of year-on-year shipment decline with the iPads, while the overall tablet market has had the same for 10 straight quarters.

Full functionality of Glass? You're aware it barely had functionality right? It mostly relied on your Bluetooth attached phone to do the gruntwork already, despite having a whole low-end phone chipset jammed into it hogging battery.

The self-made thing you linked its really a lot more useful.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

fishmech posted:

I don't see what's clunky about including photos on Gmail? It's the same as any other email client.
Also there's like three different ways to do it. There's the standard "attach a file" button that opens an explorer/finder window in your OS, "insert a photo" lets you insert from Google Drive/Photos as well as type/copy-paste random URLs, and you can also drag and drop photos from another window into an email. I'm not sure what else one would expect Google to do here.

edit: I was looking at the web version, did you mean the mobile clients?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Cicero posted:

Also there's like three different ways to do it. There's the standard "attach a file" button that opens an explorer/finder window in your OS, "insert a photo" lets you insert from Google Drive/Photos as well as type/copy-paste random URLs, and you can also drag and drop photos from another window into an email. I'm not sure what else one would expect Google to do here.

On mobile, when composing a new email there is literally an attach button on the top menu bar, so that is easy to use.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Google Inbox assumes that you want to attach a file from Google Drive; if you actually want to attach a file from your computer you have to click a second button after the attach button.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Steve French posted:

Google Inbox assumes that you want to attach a file from Google Drive; if you actually want to attach a file from your computer you have to click a second button after the attach button.

Google Inbox is a completely separate app and interface from Gmail, which just happens to use your Gmail account.

It'd be like saying attaching things in Gmail are hard because when you connect to it with Outlook 2003's IMAP support, the menus are complicated.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

fishmech posted:

Google Inbox is a completely separate app and interface from Gmail, which just happens to use your Gmail account.

It'd be like saying attaching things in Gmail are hard because when you connect to it with Outlook 2003's IMAP support, the menus are complicated.

I understand that. I wasn't the one saying that it was bad in Gmail.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

cowofwar posted:

People in the Bay Area (at least) have been getting shipments through Amazon Logistics for years. It sucks. No tracking numbers, no ability to track.

Cicero posted:

In the Web version (Chrome/Mac), click the Attach button. You now have to change tabs to include anything other than a Drive file. You then have to click a button if you want to actually grab a file from your file system instead of dragging it. Then you click "Inline or as an attachment".

Three-step (e:four) process to say "Grab this file from my file system and insert it into a mail message". A well-designed interface would make all three choices (Drive/url/local file) quick and easy to reach.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Arsenic Lupin posted:

People in the Bay Area (at least) have been getting shipments through Amazon Logistics for years. It sucks. No tracking numbers, no ability to track.

The one time I had a delivery from them, when they delivered to my apartment complex, the driver just called everyone in the building down to their car on the street.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

cowofwar posted:

Wait, what happened with Flex? Or is this for owners of parcel vans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

cowofwar posted:

lol @ background check requirement prominently on the front page

your uber might be driven by a murderer/rapist, but by god your packages will be safe!