Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
That's just Trump honoring John McCain by taking a page out of the book of not knowing anything about how normal people live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It's insurance, Michael, what could it cost? Ten dollars?

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
normal people: While I disagree with his policies, his tenure in the senate and his career in the military, I wish him and his family well in this trying time. My thoughts and prayers go out to them.

goons:

VitalSigns posted:

How do you feel about the death of bin Laden?

McCain supports legislation that would kill 20,000 Americans a year on average, which in bin Laden terms is doing a 9/11 on America roughly every 8 weeks, forever. But McCain is plotting it in a suit and tie, behind a desk, whereas bin Laden plotted in a turban from a camp in the mountains. Therefore it's impolite to hope the former dies before he can carry out mass murder, whereas the death of the latter can be morally pursued after-the-fact with huge cross-party bipartisan agreement and nationwide celebrations when it comes to pass.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Don't you get it goons, the mass murderer wore a tie while he did it, and he didn't even get any blood directly on him, so the only normal response is to politely but respectfully disagree with the murderer.

What is so hard about this, did you not notice his very nice tie and pressed collar?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

It's not like anyone's gonna be actually hurt by a healthcare plan that results in millions of Americans (including myself) losing access to healthcare. Just peasants.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
If humans weren't mortal than we'd all be slaves, so it's pretty stupid to act like the single greatest driver of progress in human history (powerful, lovely people dying) is some immense tragedy.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
So what are the chances of the health-care bill gets revived before it goes to that vote they have planned? What are the chances that under the pressure of the vote they vote it in to the shock and horror of us all?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I'm sorry John, we went through your paperwork and this form was not filled out so we're not covering your surgery.

We hear good things about GoFundMe.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

The Phlegmatist posted:

normal people: While I disagree with his policies, his tenure in the senate and his career in the military, I wish him and his family well in this trying time. My thoughts and prayers go out to them.

goons:

Lol you think people not on a dead gay comedy forum don't love schadenfreude too. I am convinced our new president maybe a result of it.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 20, 2017

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Phlegmatist posted:

goons:

Tone policing, nice. Hope there aren't any black goons in this thread, Officer The Phlegmatist has an itchy trigger finger.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Republicans don't seem to have much idea of a normal family budget. Remember that Congressman who thought that families could give up buying new iPhones to pay for healthcare? Someone should sit them down with the actual budget of a young family on $40k a year (healthcare not provided by employer), including a detailed breakdown of grocery and utility costs. Their minds would be blown.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

The Phlegmatist posted:

goons:

Yes, goons are the only cold-hearted ideologues on the internet. And normal people would never wish ill upon people they've never met for everything from emotional to very petty reasons.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

PT6A posted:

And in Canada, for the most part, the same can be said. There's a vanishingly small portion of people who would do away with public healthcare -- the "extreme right" position in Canada is "what if we allowed some private doctors/hospitals?" Like, the only real point of debate is "should rich people be able to purchase healthcare privately?" and I've seen no proposal for US healthcare that would in any way forbid that.

Most services in Canada are private, they just have a single payer system with the option for supplemental private insurance. This might seem pedantic, but it's an important point because so many people think Canada has a socialized health system when they just have public healthcare.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Hate to have to quote you again but when you're right you're right:

https://twitter.com/rob_flaherty/status/887883529891192835

"I mean, how much can a banana cost anyway, $10?"

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
What I'm getting from that quote isn't just that Trump has no idea what things cost, it's that he doesn't understand the difference between health insurance and life insurance.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

eviltastic posted:

What I'm getting from that quote isn't just that Trump has no idea what things cost, it's that he doesn't understand the difference between health insurance and life insurance.

Don't steal from Evilweasel

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Anyone else feel we are heading to a Nov 9th all over again? You know? Like, it just feels off. Like, we all think it's fine and we're safe and all of that and put our guard down. Then, boom! It passed under everyone's notice. What if some "no"s vote "yes" because they think its dead and it passes on accident? They did that on accident once to override a president veto just two years ago!

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Trump is a guy who has probably never shopped for groceries in his entire life so it probably is too much for him to comprehend healthcare needs for the vast majority of people.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Trump is a guy who has probably never shopped for groceries in his entire life so it probably is too much for him to comprehend healthcare needs for the vast majority of people.

Reminds me of the infamous quote by former senator Ben Nelson, who said he had never used an ATM:

quote:

One amendment never debated was a proposal from Sen. Tom Harkin (D-Iowa) to cap ATM fees. The Senate's lack of interest in the issue may stem from a lack of experience with ATMs -- at least in the case of Sen. Ben Nelson (D-Neb.), the Omaha World-Herald reports.

When asked about the amendment, Nelson said he is unfamiliar with the charges incurred when a customer uses an ATM not affiliated with his or her bank.

"I've never used an ATM, so I don't know what the fees are," Nelson reportedly said, adding that he gets his cash from bank tellers, just not automatic ones. "It's true, I don't know how to use one."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/ben-nelson-i-dont-know-how-to-use-an-atm/

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

KildarX posted:

Lol you think people not on a dead gay comedy forum don't love schadenfreude too. I am convinced our new president maybe a result of it.

It's a weird look for the left when a conversation immediately goes from "the GOP lacks empathy, they'll never support universal healthcare because that means people they don't like will receive coverage" to "the old man I don't like is dying of cancer and I'm glad of it."

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

The Phlegmatist posted:

It's a weird look for the left when a conversation immediately goes from "the GOP lacks empathy, they'll never support universal healthcare because that means people they don't like will receive coverage" to "the old man I don't like is dying of cancer and I'm glad of it."

There's a difference between lacking empathy for an entire populace whom you've never met and lacking empathy for a specific person where you have evidence that shows that person is not deserving of your empathy.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Don't steal from Evilweasel

Reading every page of USPOL is bad for you.

(Also figuring out what you were talking about was a pain because that post isn't showing up in his post history for some weird reason.)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Most services in Canada are private, they just have a single payer system with the option for supplemental private insurance. This might seem pedantic, but it's an important point because so many people think Canada has a socialized health system when they just have public healthcare.

Correct, I should've said "what if we allow people to purchase covered services directly?"

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

eviltastic posted:

Reading every page of USPOL is bad for you.

(Also figuring out what you were talking about was a pain because that post isn't showing up in his post history for some weird reason.)

Yeah I feel like I acquired a mental illness today. I'm a bundle of "gonna have cancer" pre-existing conditions so I have to know how this healthcare poo poo is going, though.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

BarbarianElephant posted:

Republicans don't seem to have much idea of a normal family budget. Remember that Congressman who thought that families could give up buying new iPhones to pay for healthcare? Someone should sit them down with the actual budget of a young family on $40k a year (healthcare not provided by employer), including a detailed breakdown of grocery and utility costs. Their minds would be blown.

They probably do know. It's just that they don't give a poo poo for anyone making less than 250k a year.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

The Phlegmatist posted:

You really don't understand the concept of context, do you

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Now now, D&D also gets giddy at the thought of red state addicts, diabetics, and coal miners dying for the sin of voting against what the Democratic Party has deemed their interests.

Eh, I'd really like to see that letter. There's a lot of daylight between,

"lol, guess you better move then - XOXO, John"

and

"While I wish to express my deepest sympathies for your misfortune, there is literally nothing a US Senator can do to unfuck your issue with Arizona's Medicaid system in an amount of time that will make a difference for your husband, so my advice would be to go wherever you think you can get him the best care. "

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Dead Reckoning posted:

"While I wish to express my deepest sympathies for your misfortune, there is literally nothing a US Senator can do to unfuck your issue with Arizona's Medicaid system in an amount of time that will make a difference for your husband, so my advice would be to go wherever you think you can get him the best care. "

And then proceeded to do nothing about this issue despite being a very powerful man.

I think Republicans *would* like it if Blue states enacted universal healthcare, so that Red states could take advantage of their bleeding hearts and send all penniless sick people for a bit of "bus therapy" to California. "They like the sick so much, they can take care of them, instead of taking money out of *our* pockets!"

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Reik posted:

There's a difference between lacking empathy for an entire populace whom you've never met and lacking empathy for a specific person where you have evidence that shows that person is not deserving of your empathy.

"Sorry, sir, we've run the numbers and decided that you, a human being, are not deserving of empathy." -- an actual, like, humanist I guess

Becoming the moral arbiter of who deserves to live and who deserves to die based on your own personal political views is actually pretty loving gross.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

The Phlegmatist posted:

"Sorry, sir, we've run the numbers and decided that you, a human being, are not deserving of empathy." -- an actual, like, humanist I guess

Becoming the moral arbiter of who deserves to live and who deserves to die based on your own personal political views is actually pretty loving gross.

Wow John McCain, your neural degeneration is progressing a lot faster than we thought it would

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

The Phlegmatist posted:

This is usually the part of the argument where we bring up serial killers and architects of genocide and we find where your line is, FYI.

There's no version of this conversation where you don't end up looking dumb.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

The Phlegmatist posted:

Personally lacking sympathy for a specific person for specific actions is not moral arbitration. No one at all is hiding behind any amount of objectivity when they state that they don't care about his well being. We aren't talking about policy, here. We're talking about the feelings of one person for another person.

Stating that "true leftists" can only ever have the utmost, objective, and uncompromising sense of empthy for every living thing is unrealistic gatekeeping. It is doomed to failure and ultimately, steeped in hypocrisy.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Xombie posted:

Personally lacking sympathy for a specific person for specific actions is not moral arbitration. No one at all is hiding behind any amount of objectivity when they state that they don't care about his well being.

Stating that "true leftists" can only ever have the utmost, objective, and uncompromising sense of empthy for every living thing is the most unrealistic form of gatekeeping. It is doomed to failure and ultimately, steeped in hypocrisy.

Nice post and avatar

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
"When they go low we go high, that'll surely win us a bundle of elections" -liberals, 2016

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Covok posted:

So what are the chances of the health-care bill gets revived before it goes to that vote they have planned? What are the chances that under the pressure of the vote they vote it in to the shock and horror of us all?

It will never die as long as Republicans have a majority and want to find money for tax cuts. They will keep trying until it passes or they lose control.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

The Phlegmatist posted:

Actually McCain is a Christian who believes that everything that happens is part of God's plan. So who are we to say that it is not moral and right to applaud the trial that God has laid before McCain? Truly in this time of crisis it would be wrong of us to not take this opportunity to celebrate the mystery of faith.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

The Phlegmatist posted:

You are describing republicans. Republicans want to murder you. They want to murder me. This is not a conflict where the winner is the one that is most pious and righteous. The winning side is measured in human lives and any conduct that normalizes and lionizes the side that wants to murder us costs lives. Mealy mouthed lip service to the sanctity of the life of a would-be mass murderer is sickly ironic and morally hollow. I will gladly dispense with it.

You want empathy? Have empathy for people with cancer who can't get the world class care he's getting. The same people that McCain would meekly vote to eliminate coverage for entirely if he had the chance.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Hopefully that old bastard, who by the way was the worst of the Keating Five, never gets the chance.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Xombie posted:

Stating that "true leftists" can only ever have the utmost, objective, and uncompromising sense of empthy for every living thing is unrealistic gatekeeping. It is doomed to failure and ultimately, steeped in hypocrisy.

It's not unrealistic gatekeeping, it's the ideal of the left and something that we should be striving for in everything we do, not something that should be glossed over and forgotten as "leftist locker room talk" or someshit.

Cheerleading the death of an old man with horrifying brain cancer because he had the wrong politics isn't something anyone, left or right, should be doing, sorry. If you're gonna roll around in that particular pile of pig poo poo, then say hi to the Freepers for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

The Phlegmatist posted:

You'll note I'm not saying McCain shouldn't have healthcare, just that I don't care about him.