Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Rookersh posted:

This is the oddest Rome game I've ever played.

Doing Rome on Legendary for my first campaign because of course. Why not.

Syracuse was causing cultural problems across Magna Graceia, so I declared war on them. This made Carthage suddenly love me. Both Carthage and Nova Carthago suddenly offered trade deals, which pushed them into asking for non aggression, which pushed them up high enough they asked for defensive alliances. We've now become military allies. Considering Carthage is #1 on the map this seems a bit excessive, but ok. Carthaginian armies march alongside my forces in most of Germania/Gaul/Greece.

Syracuse took Lilybaeum before I killed them, and I took it from them, which gave me the city without having to deal with Carthage. I used agents to turn Karalis to my side by fostering a rebel army and helping them sack it. I just took it back from the rebels. Carthage is still my best friend, but I own the Mediterranean.

I'm in the low 200s now, and have conquered huge chunks of Germania/Gaul.

I'm in a Rome 2 campaign where I wanted to scootch Carthage out of Sardinia so I incited a rebellion. The rebels took the city, and I proceeded to take it from the rebels. Now Carthage absolutely loves me and is my military ally.

I think some added features could help these games. I know that people have been asking for some kind of "causus belli" feature for the campaign map where you don't have to take a huge penalty if someone you have a treaty with is using agents against you or raiding territory. Would be tough to implement, but getting poo poo on because I'm defending myself is not fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Med 2 kinda had that with excommunication.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
It was kinda broken though. If you got excommunicated, you'd expand super fast because suddenly everyone wants to attack you but then you'd get more penalties for killing Christians (that attacked you)

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
best part about the pope seat in med2 was murdering all the candidates that opposed you.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
In Rome 2 DeI as Rome, I got put at war with Carthage via event after conquering Syracuse. (Even though we were doing a joint assault, we even still have +relations from helping each other, lol politics). Is there any event to force peace with them after taking some more territory or is this the start of the standard TW AI foreverwar where I have to grind them into the dust? I dream of an RTW3 where there are actually 3 seperate Punic Wars, at least sometimes.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Alright screw it. I'm just not enjoying Rome 2 anymore.

I could list the reasons, but I think most of them have already been said in the thread. I just realized today that I got home and had no interest in loading up my Rome 2 campaign.

I really enjoy/enjoyed Rome 1 when I loaded it up last week, and have been getting an itch to play it instead of Rome 2. My only problem is I'm not fond of how limited the factions/starts are ( even with the unlocker ), I'm not a huge fan of the ahistorical stuff ( scratch that, not SANDALS level, I just want Gauls to not be a fully united faction. I want Greece to be angry city states not SPARTA and REBELS. Ya know. Gameplay poo poo. ), and it looks a bit old on the map in terms of how small some areas are ( Greece with 10 cities all next to each other. ).

I'm torn right now where I want the mixed factions of Rome 2 ( or at least you know, an Iberian Tribe, 2ish Gaul Tribes to fight each other, Brits, 1-2ish Germanic Tribes to fight each other, Macedonia AND Greece/maybe Epirus, Carthage also fighting in Iberia, etc ), but I'd prefer to play Rome 1.

So I guess what I'm asking is, what's the current go to overhaul for Rome 1 that does all that? What are the mods I should be looking for when it comes to Rome 1.

Googling around seems to bring up Europa Barbaroum ( which seems to be grog heaven over what I might be looking for ), Roma Surrectum 2 ( which seems cool if a little intense/apparently starts with Hannibal just making GBS threads on Rome. ), and Rome Total Realism which ????. Any I'm missing? Which is best.

Should I install Darthmod?

Any other mods I should know about for Rome 1 that are also cool?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I always played Rome Total Realism, which imo was pretty solid. Its been a long, long time since I played it, but I remember it being a significant upgrade. More accurate factions and units, generally improved campaign mechanics, and units generally had higher morale so battles didn't end instantly, but not to the degree that everyone fought to the death. Didn't come across as excessively grognardy, either. I'm pretty sure they had a larger campaign map as well and pushed it eastwards, but I don't recall how many factions there were. I know they took the prior minor ones like Dacia, Thrace, Pontus, etc, and fleshed them out, and they added Illyria and Bactria, but did so at the expense of making the British Isles have nothing but rebels, collapsed Rome into one faction, among some other things (due to the hardcoded limits on the number of factions). I'd give it a shot, tho, I remember it being a real significant upgrade to Rome 1 and was the game I spent a lot of my time back then playing.

Tried EB once and I saw some trait I didn't know, hovered over it to see what it did, and got some paragraph long tooltip full of latin phrases and gave up instantly.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jul 20, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Rome Total Realism is pretty good overall, and doesn't have as much feature creep as EB or Roma Surrectum 2. Last I checked it also had dedicated mod editions that focused on different time periods.

EB is a slog to play because the developers are grogs. Roma Surrectum pushes the game engine to its absolute limits and crams so much into the game that it has to cut corners with music and loading screen text (because the game would literally crash if they tried to give each faction more than one loading screen blurb). It's more fun to play than EB, but it is heavily script reliant and leads to the aforementioned Hannibal crisis.

If you have Barbarian Invasion, the Fourth Age Total War mods are pretty fun. It's basically a fanfiction sequel to Lord of the Rings that covers the time from the Appendecies where the kingdoms of men fought each other before finally uniting. Way better mod than Medieval 2's Third Age Total War, which is just garrison stack hell.

the Napoleonic Wars mod is also pretty impressive. Lacks a campaign, but if you want to futz around with custom battles it can be a riot.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jul 20, 2017

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Rome Total Realism is your best shot if you absolutely must play Rome: Total War.

EB is interesting to play as, but also somehow an absolutely miserable gameplay experience. It is the Dominions of Total War mods.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My main issue with EB is that it crashes every four turns no matter what you do and there's a bug where the game has a high chance to crash if you get an high casualty heroic victory.

Imagine how full you'll have.

But anyways, the best mod for Rome 1 is the mod about the Trojan war where they give Achilles the phisical traits of an elefant and as such you can just use him to plow through entire armies and send them flying all over the place.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
EB is definetly the best mod RTR is okay but it's to like vanilla for my taste.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

EB is definetly the best mod RTR is okay but it's to like vanilla for my taste.

I don't mind too like vanilla honestly. My bigger issue right now is looking at RTR videos it cuts off most of Egypt/Selucids/England, and doesn't really have as much race variety?

All the videos I'm finding are from like 2009 though, so who knows what it's like now.

I don't need the Augustian Reforms meticulously modeled. Or all the Legions represented realistically. I just want more small factions in the world to fight/exist.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Rookersh posted:

I don't mind too like vanilla honestly. My bigger issue right now is looking at RTR videos it cuts off most of Egypt/Selucids/England, and doesn't really have as much race variety?

All the videos I'm finding are from like 2009 though, so who knows what it's like now.

I don't need the Augustian Reforms meticulously modeled. Or all the Legions represented realistically. I just want more small factions in the world to fight/exist.

You can ignore the Reforms.

Most players don't make it that far anyway.

EB has the best unit variety and while it has scripts it isn't as bloated as RS.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Rookersh posted:

Yeah, they're all human race. You might want to look into Hyrule Total War for Medieval 2 for more variety.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Rookersh posted:

Rome 1 has a hard limit on how many factions can exist on the map, so every mod is going to have the same number. They just have to choose who they want.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

What was the M2TW mod that had Elmos vs. Predators vs. Dinosaurs?

Get that one.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

What was the M2TW mod that had Elmos vs. Predators vs. Dinosaurs?

Get that one.

Planet War.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Rookersh posted:

EB is a bit much to get into. Best variety, no dumb Romanophile stuff, but there's a lot of unintuitive systems you have to get used to to play. The recruitment system is particularly documentation-heavy, basically a lot of units are province locked but you can't really view them in-game! Also, a lot of factions start out in terrible positions and thousands in the red, you are encouraged to use console commands to get out of the hole if you want to enjoy yourself.

I do like it though, the mod has a lot of effort put into the factions and their units. You don't have to read anything you don't want to either.

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 20, 2017

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

I like EB more than any other R:TW mod but when I first played it I was young and dumb and possibly in high school. I was partly inspired to get my Classical Studies degree because of it.

Nowadays I don't think I could get into EB. You have to be really patient with it. It is fun once you've gotten familiar with it, however.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Does stainless steel or broken crescent work with the steam version of medieval 2?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Does stainless steel or broken crescent work with the steam version of medieval 2?

stainless steel does, dont know about the other.

Neathervile
Jan 1, 2004

Currently playing Broken Crescent with Steam. Works flawlessly.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Rome 2 DeI as Pyhrrus: Well, Rome steamrolled both my allies to the north in one turn and then an event gave them a free 20-stack of good troops in Rome. Well gently caress this then, never playing Epirus.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

disjoe posted:

I like EB more than any other R:TW mod but when I first played it I was young and dumb and possibly in high school. I was partly inspired to get my Classical Studies degree because of it.

Nowadays I don't think I could get into EB. You have to be really patient with it. It is fun once you've gotten familiar with it, however.

The first time I ever posted on the internet was on the EB forum and it was to ask if I had installed the game right. I think you were inspired to a greater cause than me :shrug:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Playing the old total war titles again has made me miss having Jeff van Dyck's music in the games, and his wife's antiwar credits songs. It's a weird mix to have games that actively encourage genocide of indigenous populations as a gameplay mechanic, and then have the credits songs go "good job you heartless bastard."

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Arcsquad12 posted:

Playing the old total war titles again has made me miss having Jeff van Dyck's music in the games, and his wife's antiwar credits songs. It's a weird mix to have games that actively encourage genocide of indigenous populations as a gameplay mechanic, and then have the credits songs go "good job you heartless bastard."

If murdering hordes of unwashed British peasants with French noble cavalry is wrong I don't want to be right.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Only the dead have seen the end of war

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Rome 2 DeI as Pyhrrus: Well, Rome steamrolled both my allies to the north in one turn and then an event gave them a free 20-stack of good troops in Rome. Well gently caress this then, never playing Epirus.

you silly thing don't you know rome "won" that time period? that means they need to be an unstoppable juggernaut who can never ever lose :):):):) Historical realism 4ever

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Has there been any word by CA about their next historical Total War game? I have Attila and Rome2 but didn't play them at all because of how bad they were at launch especially Rome 2. I just want Medieval 3.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
it isn't gonna be Medieval 3

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

With the way they are trending it will be something boring like Shogun 2 or that loving dumb ACW thing

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Colonialism: Total War would be super fun and hosed up. Race for Africa, intervention in the far east with Indochina or the Boxer Rebellion.

Or I could go for a Renaissance Total War. Won't happen anytime soon, but I'd love it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Okay, Medieval 2 question: When not playing as them, do the Moors always own Timbuktu? I started up a short Spain campaign so I could quickly unlock the minor factions, but one of the objectives is killing off the Moors. So much for a short campaign if I need to wait for the New World sequence to unlock before I can get a ship good enough to sail down to West Africa and then take a ten turn march through Sub-Saharan Africa just to kill them permanently.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Can't you just cross the Med on a normal boat?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Krazyface posted:

Can't you just cross the Med on a normal boat?

Not to get to Timbuktu. Unlike in Rome Total War you can't cross the Sahara, so to get down there you need to go to the west coast and then trek inland across the green region.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I'm like 80% sure you can cross the sahara, it's just a kinda hidden route. I remember sending merchants down to Timbuktu all the time.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arcsquad12 posted:

Okay, Medieval 2 question: When not playing as them, do the Moors always own Timbuktu? I started up a short Spain campaign so I could quickly unlock the minor factions, but one of the objectives is killing off the Moors. So much for a short campaign if I need to wait for the New World sequence to unlock before I can get a ship good enough to sail down to West Africa and then take a ten turn march through Sub-Saharan Africa just to kill them permanently.

The Moors had to walk to Timbuktu to conquer the rebel province so there is a way to get there. It's just a slog.

In alternative, push for a crusade down there for super movement bonuses.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
I forgot about having to unlock factions. What a terrible idea.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I mean you can bypass it easily by editing one text file.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Democrazy posted:

I forgot about having to unlock factions. What a terrible idea.

Isn't this the case in Empire too?

Also the map for Medieval 2 is hosed. The ai will always take the worst path possible and sometimes its hard to even realize there is an actual path there.