Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Anyone have experience with the eSun PETG filament? I need to print some long, thin, tough parts with a Volcano extruder and in ABS it's kinda doable, but the combination of the geometry and the extreme contraction from the heavy traces inevitably causes warps by the end of the print. PETG is a lot better about warping.

I've used some MadeSolid PETG in the past and it worked pretty well for a similar purpose but basically the eSun stuff is half the price soooooo

Yep, it's great on a volcano.

eSun natural, 0.8 nozzle.

Megabound fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jul 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Jestery posted:

Hey guys I'm looking to buy my first printer.

I'm mainly looking to print solutions to home problems

Soap dishes, bag clips, a small knife block etc

The monoprice mini V2 looks pretty swish. And the 120mm^3 build space looks good if a touch small

Are there any options of similar type to the monoprice?

Does anyone know an Aussie retailer or how reliable the shipping is?

If you're in Australia you're pretty much hosed on getting that particular printer without paying ridiculous shipping charges (like, equal to or greater than the cost of the printer itself).

You can always try your luck looking for a Malyan M200 locally (that's the printer the Monoprice version is based on), though.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
My printer is loving annoying. Perimeters are laid down relatively precise, but the infill is all over the place. What's supposed to be a crosshatch pattern doesn't even line up from layer to layer, even though it should per Simplify3D preview.

big parcheesi player
Apr 1, 2014

Also, I can kill you with my brain.
I am working on printing a multi-part piece for cosplay that I am going to be doing for an upcoming Comic Con and could use some advice. In the past I have made a few multi-part pieces, but nothing that I gave any post processing. Just superglued it together and that was good enough for me. But with this being a part of an outfit that I have spent a decent amount of money on I want the props to look good.

When using putty on the seems of the pieces, what tips are there to make it look invisible? As well as which product would be recommended?

I plan on puttying all the joints, priming the prop, painting it with model paint. Then using a clearcoat to seal everything.

This is also going to my largest build by far with nearly 50 pieces and probably around 200 hours of print time. Before this my largest was Kylo Rens lightsaber which only took about 30 hours total to print including mishaps.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

My printer is loving annoying. Perimeters are laid down relatively precise, but the infill is all over the place. What's supposed to be a crosshatch pattern doesn't even line up from layer to layer, even though it should per Simplify3D preview.

Watch the print closely. Is the head actually misaligned when printing the infill? Or is it just that the infill traces aren't fusing to each other, so they're getting dragged around inside and freezing wherever?

Pictures always help with diagnosis.

big parcheesi player posted:

I am working on printing a multi-part piece for cosplay that I am going to be doing for an upcoming Comic Con and could use some advice. In the past I have made a few multi-part pieces, but nothing that I gave any post processing. Just superglued it together and that was good enough for me. But with this being a part of an outfit that I have spent a decent amount of money on I want the props to look good.

When using putty on the seems of the pieces, what tips are there to make it look invisible? As well as which product would be recommended?

I plan on puttying all the joints, priming the prop, painting it with model paint. Then using a clearcoat to seal everything.

Use Bondo. It's designed for this purpose. You apply a thin layer, let it dry/cure, sand it to shape, apply another thin layer, dry, sand, and repeat until the surface is smooth.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 17, 2017

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

csammis posted:

I have an Anet A8 and I like it. It was a fiddly little bastard when I got it but I'm finally getting decent prints.

For printable upgrades you'll want to make belt tensioners and frame braces first. The belts will need to be properly tensioned - it's really hard to do this by hand when assembling the printer and the belts will stretch over time anyway - but the Anet's acrylic frame will start to bow before the correct tension is reached.

For electronic upgrades, it would be wise to look into upgrading the electronics with MOSFETs. The short story is that the Anet's mainboard is being asked to source a lot of current from the power supply in order to heat the bed and the hot end and it's undersized for the job. Lots of current + too small parts = heat => smoke and fire. If you Google or Youtube for "Anet" and "MOSFET" you'll probably find several resources. If you'd like someone to explain the process one on one I'd be happy to help over PMs or whatever.

Octoprint is a really cool upgrade (I haven't done it yet) but it's secondary to the upgrades you'll want to make in order to (a) get good prints and (b) not burn down your home.

Just coming in to say I like my Anet A8, except when I ordered it, they didn't drill all the necessary holes in the back plate that were needed, and so I had to drill those myself. Buyer beware.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

This is also going to my largest build by far with nearly 50 pieces and probably around 200 hours of print time. Before this my largest was Kylo Rens lightsaber which only took about 30 hours total to print including mishaps.

I haven't done any detail finishing myself but I watched this video recently which had some tips for that kind of thing including sanding, spot putty and automotive filler primer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGrRKdy6x7I

There's a ton of costume/prop making/3d printing finishing videos on youtube and the focus is largely sanding, putty, primer and paint which seem to be the basics for everything but a lot of videos have tips for this or that. For example I haven't seen one that covers a lot of glued together assembled pieces like you're working on but I'm sure they're out there.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Combat Pretzel posted:

But your outer shell is perfectly aligned?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

bring back old gbs posted:

But your outer shell is perfectly aligned?
Yeah, that's the odd thing. I'm going to check infill-perimeter overlap I guess, like Sagebrush implies.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

When I used to make scale models I'd hide the seams by creating my own "plastic filler" by letting some of the sprue plastic soak in acetone and turn liquid and applying it to the fine seam lines with sewing needles/exacto blades just making sure it was nice and flat and into the grooves. Then liberally sand the joint so I couldn't really feel the seam when I ran my finger over it. Primer takes care of the rest hiding the slightly visible seam line behind paint. If you're printing ABS you can do this, if you're using PLA I don't know what chemical makes it break down in the same way.

You can get top coat paints specifically for 3d printed parts that fill in the gaps better than normal paint.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jul 18, 2017

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Or you could just buy Krylon spraypaint for plastics and "get gud" at spraypainting things.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
It's a holdover from my days painting tiny fighting men but milliput is really handy.

2 part expoxy putty that you work like clay and it hardens rock solid. You can fill some pretty big gaps with it and use a damp fingertip to smooth perfectly or use clay tools to texture it.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
My printer just stopped 80% of the way into a print, with no indication of why it stopped. I had to swap out the nozzle earlier today too, and the thing just doesn't want to stay level. Days like this I wonder if I should just build stuff the old fashioned way.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Splode posted:

My printer just stopped 80% of the way into a print, with no indication of why it stopped. I had to swap out the nozzle earlier today too, and the thing just doesn't want to stay level. Days like this I wonder if I should just build stuff the old fashioned way.

I've had that happen before, was a weird slicer error. I checked the file size and it was way too small. 20 hours into a 24 hour print.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Yep! I worked out that my gcode file had the end lopped off. SD card reader responsible is now in the bin, but I'm out of filament so I can't try again for a little while. The worst.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I've had that happen when I was too overzealous about uploading a file to Octoprint after slicing. Slicer takes a few seconds to write out the file, during which time it's still visible wherever you saved it but smaller than it should be, and if you upload it then, it'll be truncated and just die at some point.

Also look for any thermal runaway triggers that might have fired. Once I designed some fan ducts that were far more powerful than the original design, and the first few prints in PLA all crapped out when the fans came on because even the air bouncing off the bed was powerful enough to overcool the extruder, and that triggered the "thermistor must be busted" logic.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

:toot: It's my first build!

I'm super proud of this! It came out a lot nicer than I expected, as I was having a rough time getting the raft started (until I put some masking tape on the platform.)

Also I had no idea what it was - the Monoprice demo files are just numbered 1 - 4 and I was a bit worried when it wasn't making the cog wheel I expected

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Just wanted to say that after fighting with that warping ABS part for the last four days, it's super fuckin nice to print some stuff in Ninjaflex, which has (obviously) zero warping issues whatsoever. Yeah you have to slow down to like 20mm/s but it prints super clean and sharp and there are never any problems getting it to stick. Wonderful material.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

I've been super tempted by the Wanhao Duplicator 7 DLP Resin Printer, but r/3dprinting is either ecstatic about the prints it makes or tepid as hell about the hardware it uses, and I can't figure out if it's worth the $500 investment (plus $$$ for resin costs) to try out. Anyone here have experience with them? How hard are they to use, as someone who has only done FDM?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Sagebrush posted:

I've had that happen when I was too overzealous about uploading a file to Octoprint after slicing. Slicer takes a few seconds to write out the file, during which time it's still visible wherever you saved it but smaller than it should be, and if you upload it then, it'll be truncated and just die at some point.

I forget if it's a plugin or just built in but I have OctoPrint integration in Slic3r so I just push "Send to printer" and it figures everything out for me. If you do it that way this problem should be impossible.

There's also a plugin for Cura that does the same.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Harvey Baldman posted:

I've been super tempted by the Wanhao Duplicator 7 DLP Resin Printer, but r/3dprinting is either ecstatic about the prints it makes or tepid as hell about the hardware it uses, and I can't figure out if it's worth the $500 investment (plus $$$ for resin costs) to try out. Anyone here have experience with them? How hard are they to use, as someone who has only done FDM?

Jesus, $500? I'm really tempted. In theory, would make a great "fine detail" thing to go along with the huge FDM thing I'm building.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I've only studied SLA printer technologies enough to know that I'm not willing to dive into it until I can afford to buy the entire Formlabs Form2 setup (both the printer and the curing station) at a bare minimum.

Because gently caress having failed prints because I hosed up getting the right amount of resin in the tank for the print, or having to throw out resin because I added too much to the tank (which won't make the print itself fail, but resin that is in the printer's build space during a build degrades after repeated exposures).

As finicky as FDM is, SLA is even more finicky. Everything you learned on FDM? Forget all of that because SLA is an entirely different process and the materials are toxic until they are cured out (where FDM materials are only toxic if you ingest them, SLA resins can gently caress you up with prolonged skin exposure if not cured out, that's why you have to wear gloves).

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

biracial bear for uncut posted:

As finicky as FDM is, SLA is even more finicky. Everything you learned on FDM? Forget all of that because SLA is an entirely different process and the materials are toxic until they are cured out (where FDM materials are only toxic if you ingest them, SLA resins can gently caress you up with prolonged skin exposure if not cured out, that's why you have to wear gloves).

And then the finished objects aren't UV stable and will degrade over time unless you paint them. Too much effort

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Megabound posted:

And then the finished objects aren't UV stable and will degrade over time unless you paint them. Too much effort

I found it relaxing in some cases, but the whole process of doing an alcohol bath, water bath, careful support removal, light sanding/buffing/sculpting if needed, then trying to fit all the parts on the turntable in the curing station, then soap etc station to get rid of tack was pretty silly sometimes.

And if the client wants to show shiny smooth SLA parts for a presentation but no painting, you better hope that your support extraction tools didn't scratch anything (or your nitrile gloved thumbprint didn't press too hard against any surface!)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

We have a couple of SLA machines (Form2) as well as the workhorse FDMs, and honestly I prefer the FDMs for everything except for making very high-resolution appearance models. For instance, an SLA will do an excellent job building a fine mesh or grille. Sub-millimeter holes will come out correctly placed and perfectly circular regardless of their orientation, where an FDM would have no chance.

However, the materials are toxic (I'd compare them to bleach -- won't kill you from the fumes or anything but don't get them on your hands or in your eyes), post-processing and cleanup is a mess, swapping from one material to another is a pain, the build volumes are small, the available material properties are significantly more limited, and the best resins still aren't as strong as a well-printed FDM part.

Where SLA is truly irreplaceable is when you need the absolute highest resolution and accuracy, without much concern for the material properties. Printing wax models of jewelry for lost-wax casting, for instance, or making prototypes of medical appliances before moving to casting/CNC machining of the real thing. It's also much better at things like internal channels.

If your FDM machine can do 100-micron layers reliably, and you don't have one of those special use cases, you aren't missing a whole lot that SLA has to offer. I can hit 50 microns on my MendelMax and that's plenty for nearly anything.

e: worth noting that the Form2 is an excellent machine that does what it's supposed to right out of the box. We had Form1s for a while and they were pretty finicky, but I can't remember the last time we had a failed print on the 2. If you want a solid desktop SLA I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 19, 2017

mewse
May 2, 2006

Printed something that's not a 3D printer part!!

Spare stand + salvage monitor = spare monitor!

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1720088

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

Sagebrush posted:

We have a couple of SLA machines (Form2) as well as the workhorse FDMs, and honestly I prefer the FDMs for everything except for making very high-resolution appearance models. For instance, an SLA will do an excellent job building a fine mesh or grille. Sub-millimeter holes will come out correctly placed and perfectly circular regardless of their orientation, where an FDM would have no chance.

However, the materials are toxic (I'd compare them to bleach -- won't kill you from the fumes or anything but don't get them on your hands or in your eyes), post-processing and cleanup is a mess, swapping from one material to another is a pain, the build volumes are small, the available material properties are significantly more limited, and the best resins still aren't as strong as a well-printed FDM part.

Where SLA is truly irreplaceable is when you need the absolute highest resolution and accuracy, without much concern for the material properties. Printing wax models of jewelry for lost-wax casting, for instance, or making prototypes of medical appliances before moving to casting/CNC machining of the real thing. It's also much better at things like internal channels.

If your FDM machine can do 100-micron layers reliably, and you don't have one of those special use cases, you aren't missing a whole lot that SLA has to offer. I can hit 50 microns on my MendelMax and that's plenty for nearly anything.

e: worth noting that the Form2 is an excellent machine that does what it's supposed to right out of the box. We had Form1s for a while and they were pretty finicky, but I can't remember the last time we had a failed print on the 2. If you want a solid desktop SLA I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

I am those use cases. I print 3d replica props, and I need to do high-fidelity things like knurled details and internal channels for wiring. I make molds of pretty much every part I print, and make resin copies thereafter out of durable stuff. It seems like the resin machines would fit my purposes nicely, but the price is so far prohibitive. I would absolutely pick up the Form 2 if I had the cash, but the Wanhao Duplicator 7 looks like a 'budget' option of the thing. The only thing I keep hearing about it is that it's using an LCD panel with a UV backlight, and people have reservations about how long that LCD panel might survive ("UV light degrades LCD panels", etc). The most common thing I've been reading about it is to "wait until Monoprice makes their own version of it", but that has been the response for the last 7 months now, and I'm wondering if the D7 is worth just pulling the trigger on...

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Sorry to ask a region specific question, but I've noticed there's a few other Australians in the thread. Where do you guys buy your filament from? There's a bunch of online suppliers that all look pretty much identical so I'd love recommendations.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Splode posted:

Sorry to ask a region specific question, but I've noticed there's a few other Australians in the thread. Where do you guys buy your filament from? There's a bunch of online suppliers that all look pretty much identical so I'd love recommendations.

I work for Bilby 3D, so Bilby 3D. Our filament is a bit more expensive than Aurarum and 3D Fillies but our tolerances are better and our windings use the same technology that proper cable spoolers use so we have prefectly wound filament in the kilo rolls.

Our PET is eSun, which you can find cheaper not from us, and our own metal blends are all low percent enough to not be abrasive, at a sacrifice to polish-ability.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Harvey Baldman posted:

I am those use cases. I print 3d replica props, and I need to do high-fidelity things like knurled details and internal channels for wiring. I make molds of pretty much every part I print, and make resin copies thereafter out of durable stuff. It seems like the resin machines would fit my purposes nicely, but the price is so far prohibitive. I would absolutely pick up the Form 2 if I had the cash, but the Wanhao Duplicator 7 looks like a 'budget' option of the thing. The only thing I keep hearing about it is that it's using an LCD panel with a UV backlight, and people have reservations about how long that LCD panel might survive ("UV light degrades LCD panels", etc). The most common thing I've been reading about it is to "wait until Monoprice makes their own version of it", but that has been the response for the last 7 months now, and I'm wondering if the D7 is worth just pulling the trigger on...

The wait will be well worth it, if the Monoprice version of the D7 is going to be the speculated $400 plus Monoprice's MO of fixing the most common usage issue the OEM/Wanhao has (also that full one-year warranty replacement they have for any printer that dies is amazing compared to pretty much any other 3d printer vendor I'm aware of).

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!
Anyone got some advice on printing on kapton? The bed adhesion was loving garbage while printing ABS. Maybe it was my M212 height, but what really confused me was that I tried the glue stick/kapton technique and when my heated bed got up to 90c, the glue stick would lose all "tackiness". I know some people have used hairspray, but I'd prefer to use something less messy.

FYI: I have a printrbot simple metal, matrix precision XYZ upgrade, & a e3d v6 hotend.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

ASSTASTIC posted:

Anyone got some advice on printing on kapton? The bed adhesion was loving garbage while printing ABS. Maybe it was my M212 height, but what really confused me was that I tried the glue stick/kapton technique and when my heated bed got up to 90c, the glue stick would lose all "tackiness". I know some people have used hairspray, but I'd prefer to use something less messy.

FYI: I have a printrbot simple metal, matrix precision XYZ upgrade, & a e3d v6 hotend.

I could never get PLA to stick reliably to a printrbot but maybe try applying windex or alcohol to painter's tape?

mewse
May 2, 2006

I couldn't get ABS to adhere to anything until I tried PEI. Closest I got was hairspray on glass.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

ASSTASTIC posted:

I know some people have used hairspray, but I'd prefer to use something less messy.
If you want to try hair spray, just shoot it on a paper towel and wipe it onto the bed. No overspray to worry about! Cleans up pretty easily with warm water too.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ASSTASTIC posted:

ABS is just pissy. The best results I've had have been a PVA glue wash (about 3:1 water and white glue) painted onto a glass bed at 95-100C, but it still warps. Industrial machines do two critical things to keep ABS attached:
1) print in a chamber at 70C, so there's less thermal shock
2) print on a disposable bed made of ABS, and fuse the first raft layer directly into the bed.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!
Thanks for the advice. I can print PLA all day, every day on with blue painter's tape. The only time I've had issues with PLA is when my Y axis belt decided to come undone and just barfed filament on a 10 hour print. Had to replace the hotend after that.

I might try the hairspray technique, but I might keep it on blue tape and just gently caress with my z axis height to try to get it dialed in more. I've printed with big rear end rafts to help, but sometimes those loving rafts lift too.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
On an opposite note, does anyone have any tips to make PEI less sticky? I applied a new sheet of PEI to my aluminum bed and ABS sticks so well that I have to literally destroy the print to remove it-- it comes off in shreds. PLA sticks real good but I can remove it without damage.

• If I increase my Z offset by 0.04mm I start to see gaps in the first layer solid infill, so the issue is not that I am too close and squishing the first layer too much
  • I dropped the bed temp from 105C to 100, to 95, to 90, to 85, to 80, yes 80C and I can remove the print there with only crazing damage, but the print is warped and unusable anyway
  • I've tried very slow, cool first layers. Normally I print at 250C with the volcano but I've tried 230C at 25% speed too
  • Tried a second round of thermal cycling after the print is done, let the bed cool down to under 40C, heat it back up to 105C, cool it back down again. No change.
  • Tried injecting rubbing alcohol around the edges of the print when cooling. This worked a little bit, but was so labor and time intensive (15-20 minutes) that it is impractical for its minor benefit.
  • I've put a little vegetable oil down then wiped it away which caused nothing to stick at all, so I know it can be defeated if I can find some sort of reproducible middle ground

Any tips for things that stick too well?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

CapnBry posted:

On an opposite note, does anyone have any tips to make PEI less sticky? I applied a new sheet of PEI to my aluminum bed and ABS sticks so well that I have to literally destroy the print to remove it-- it comes off in shreds. PLA sticks real good but I can remove it without damage.

• If I increase my Z offset by 0.04mm I start to see gaps in the first layer solid infill, so the issue is not that I am too close and squishing the first layer too much
  • I dropped the bed temp from 105C to 100, to 95, to 90, to 85, to 80, yes 80C and I can remove the print there with only crazing damage, but the print is warped and unusable anyway
  • I've tried very slow, cool first layers. Normally I print at 250C with the volcano but I've tried 230C at 25% speed too
  • Tried a second round of thermal cycling after the print is done, let the bed cool down to under 40C, heat it back up to 105C, cool it back down again. No change.
  • Tried injecting rubbing alcohol around the edges of the print when cooling. This worked a little bit, but was so labor and time intensive (15-20 minutes) that it is impractical for its minor benefit.
  • I've put a little vegetable oil down then wiped it away which caused nothing to stick at all, so I know it can be defeated if I can find some sort of reproducible middle ground

Any tips for things that stick too well?

A PVA glue stick ironically reduces adhesion on PEI, apparently. Apply when cold.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Can I get some ideas on what's causing these issues? I built a Prusa i3 MK2 printer this Monday and Tuesday, the self test shows X and Y are perpendicular and I ran the V2 Calibration and did my Live Z. I'm getting uniform, flat first layers.

I pulled the layers apart on that piece and this what the underside looks like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sagebrush posted:

ABS is just pissy. The best results I've had have been a PVA glue wash (about 3:1 water and white glue) painted onto a glass bed at 95-100C, but it still warps. Industrial machines do two critical things to keep ABS attached:
1) print in a chamber at 70C, so there's less thermal shock
2) print on a disposable bed made of ABS, and fuse the first raft layer directly into the bed.

I use hairspray on a warm plate (to melt it down immediately) while the hotend is cool and up pretty good. I don't scrape it or wipe it until it takes significant effort to remove the print after a full cool down.

SlayVus posted:

Can I get some ideas on what's causing these issues? I built a Prusa i3 MK2 printer this Monday and Tuesday, the self test shows X and Y are perpendicular and I ran the V2 Calibration and did my Live Z. I'm getting uniform, flat first layers.

I pulled the layers apart on that piece and this what the underside looks like.

I see evidence of your layer height too high (the tiny little loops near the top of the second picture are being sequestered between layers without smooshing) and over extrusion of some sort (again those tiny loops) .

In summary those tiny loops are strange as hell.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 20, 2017