Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
One of the most under-discussed yet consequential changes in the American political landscape is the reunion between the Democratic Party and the country’s most extreme and discredited neocons. While the rise of Donald Trump, whom neocons loathe, has accelerated this realignment, it began long before the ascension of Trump and is driven by far more common beliefs than contempt for the current president.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I hope when reparations happen everyone gets mailed an ancestrydna kit. my alabamanian brother in law showed up as 2% black and since he can grow a fro and his sister is described as "mixed" he definitely qualifies

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

NewForumSoftware posted:

lol that you think chuck schumer and nancy pelosi did something good

hint: the agenda is going to be garbage and they will never try to stop rampant income inequality

There's no need to be all D&D sadbrains about it before we even know what it is. If it sucks, we can say it sucks after it comes out and we're sure, but on the surface it's the first promising news from the Dems I've seen since the election.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Between this and the text in the previous article about avoiding moving towards the right or left, I'm less than optimistic about what the democrats have planned.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think the best thing Dems can hope for is Republicans passing the "Repeal now, replace in 2 years" bill because then they can go full on "IF YOU DON'T VOTE FOR US IN 2018 YOU'LL DIE" which is kind of a slogan that would work

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Why is Greenwald referring to 'the Democrats' in an article that is about a single hawkish former Clinton advisor becoming part of a conservative anti-Russia thinktank?

edit: nvm, missed a paragraph.

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Fun fact, detonating a single nuclear weapon would be enough to knock our already incredibly fragile climate over the edge and cause a world-wide famine.

http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/nuclear_war_would_set_off_climate_catastrophe_20170718

quote:

This prompted researchers and political scientists from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln to revisit the question. They contemplated the theoretical effect of a 15-kiloton nuclear warhead with the explosive force of 15,000 tons of TNT. Once exploded, it would incinerate 1,300 square kilometres of a city and its surrounds. This would be quite enough to push five million metric tons of black carbon smoke particles into the stratosphere. This would be enough to screen solar radiation, reduce the agricultural crop season by between 10 and 40 days a year for at least five years, and lower global temperatures to a point lower than normal for at least 25 years. In the very short term, this cold snap would be colder than anything for the last 1,000 years. Rainfall would decrease by as much as 20% to 80% in the Asian monsoon region. The American southwest and western Australia could become 20% to 60% drier. South America and southern Africa, too, would see less rain. This global “nuclear drought” and the resulting famines “could kill up to a billion people from starvation.”

That billion doesn't include the people that would die from the wars over said lack of water and food or in the nuclear war preceding this for that matter.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

mastershakeman posted:

I hope when reparations happen everyone gets mailed an ancestrydna kit. my alabamanian brother in law showed up as 2% black and since he can grow a fro and his sister is described as "mixed" he definitely qualifies

Just save the money and send paper bags

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Iron Twinkie posted:

Fun fact, detonating a single nuclear weapon would be enough to knock our already incredibly fragile climate over the edge and cause a world-wide famine.

http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/nuclear_war_would_set_off_climate_catastrophe_20170718

That billion doesn't include the people that would die from the wars over said lack of water and food or in the nuclear war preceding this for that matter.

lmao that is the most insulting loving thing I've read in ages and you're dumber than Trump if you believe it

some very simple critical thinking regarding events in the mid-late 1940's (or the western US every summer) should demonstrate why

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
the bomb they dropped on nagasaki had a 20 kiloton yield, so, if it didn't happen then, it won't happen now buddy

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that climate change is a Chinese hoax and that human activity has had no impact over the past 80 years.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Iron Twinkie posted:

I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that climate change is a Chinese hoax and that human activity has had no impact over the past 80 years.
If someone is launching counter-value strikes against cities climate change is not going to be among anyone's top concerns.

Also that article is dumb and you are too for posting it.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Iron Twinkie posted:

What a load of crap. Even factoring in the thermal pulse, a 15 kt nuclear warhead won't start that big of a fire. Even aside from that I find the basic premise unbelievable, more crap than that goes into the atmosphere every year from California's annual forest fires.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Better Ingredients. Better Skills. Better Pizza. Democrats.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Iron Twinkie posted:

Besides what's already been said, there were plenty of atmospheric nuclear tests before the Limited Test Ban Treaty of 1963. If Tsar Bomba didn't already throw the global climate into permanent disarray, I'm dubious that a 15kt weapon would be the thing that tips it over the edge.

e: Also this is just patently untrue -

quote:

Once exploded, it would incinerate 1,300 square kilometres of a city and its surrounds. This would be quite enough to push five million metric tons of black carbon smoke particles into the stratosphere.

The fireball radius of a 15kt weapon would be relatively small - Little Boy's was around 1,200 ft.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 20, 2017

Power_of_the_glory
Feb 14, 2012
Nuclear war is horrific enough already. No need to exaggerate poo poo.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
Here is the study itself. I think this is the data point that the previously-posted summary, uh, got a little mixed up on:

quote:

In previous regional nuclear war simulations, roughly 100 nuclear explosions with 15-KT (kilotons) TNT yields were estimated to ignite 1,300 square kilometers of urban and other developed land area.

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Majorian posted:

Here is the study itself. I think this is the data point that the previously-posted summary, uh, got a little mixed up on:

Ugh, gently caress me. Yeah that's several orders of magnitude of difference.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Also one good volcano eruption would throw that much crap into the atmosphere as well and we have those on a semi regular basis

St. Helens erupting had environmental effects but it didn't send us into nuclear winter

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

uhh why isn't it just better jobs better wages.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

because it's imperative to blame people's choices for their bad jobs

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Groovelord Neato posted:

Meritocracy is the Prosperity Gospel of the Democratic Party leadership.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

Neurolimal posted:

Between this and the text in the previous article about avoiding moving towards the right or left, I'm less than optimistic about what the democrats have planned.

Yeah it seems to confirm for me it's just nice sounding bullshit Centrist policies that help no one. They are still chasing all those Moderate Republican voters.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Avirosb posted:

They're Zucky & the Bern, they're Zucky & the Bern,
one wants your blood, the other's infirm

And we're right the gently caress back to blood libel.

Hey, they're both Jewish, so just go the extra mile and accuse both of trying to steal blood.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Mister Facetious posted:

Meritocracy is the Prosperity Gospel of the Democratic Party leadership.
Which to be fair is the antithesis of feudal tyranny that the US was originally based against. Still works.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Grouchio posted:

Which to be fair is the antithesis of feudal tyranny that the US was originally based against. Still works.

no, not really. cause meritocracy never is

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Oh Snapple! posted:

because it's imperative to blame people's choices for their bad jobs

This seems pretty dumb unless you think people have complete control over their educational outcomes.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Maybe you should just study harder to ignore the hunger in your stomach, little Timmy.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Maybe you should just study harder to ignore the hunger in your stomach, little Timmy.
Welcome to loving reality.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Grouchio posted:

It's also diametrically opposed to the Democratic idea that all people are created equal, regardless of race, creed, color, or Ivy League education. Very Randian.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fulchrum posted:

And we're right the gently caress back to blood libel.

Hey, they're both Jewish, so just go the extra mile and accuse both of trying to steal blood.

Silicon valley techlords stealing blood to increase their lifespan has been a joke/meme due to the thing with Peter Thiel.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich
The better skills needed for better jobs are largely dependent on a college education. This means they're emphasizing free public universities and a suite of social programs to facilitate utilizing them right?

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Yes, they always have been. Why do you think all the teachers unions are steadfast supporters of the Democratic Party?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Sneakster posted:

The better skills needed for better jobs are largely dependent on a college education. This means they're emphasizing free public universities and a suite of social programs to facilitate utilizing them right?

lol, how about some college loans instead

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Welcome to loving reality.

Lol I lived in this so I know.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Maybe I'm biased because I'm in an assload of federal student loan debt but if Dems aren't going to make it a major point to address the fact that tons of people are saddled with the equivalent of a mortgage to actually get "better skills" and that our college tuition system is broken and gives a massive advantage to the rich, then anything on that front is just hot air. Their platform for 2016 said that they were gonna make it possible to declare bankruptcy on student loans, try to lower interest rates, and continue Obama's loan forgiveness programs. Yeah, that's something, but it's not much, considering that this crushing debt issue is an entirely American phenomenon.

Also depressing to me that in 2016 the Democrats besides Bernie adamantly refused to make any promises that were, you know, big motivators to vote. Even if they had no chance in hell of getting it done, a presidential candidate who was outspoken about moving forward on education/healthcare/etc. reform would have at least forced those ideas into mainstream prominence. But if it's not "realistic" to get an idea passed, seems like they're afraid of even mentioning it. Meanwhile the other guys were just full of poo poo lying left and right and it got them much farther.

Casey Finnigan fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 21, 2017

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ytlaya posted:

Silicon valley techlords stealing blood to increase their lifespan has been a joke/meme due to the thing with Peter Thiel.

Well then maybe you should apply it to Peter Thiel and not to one of the only prominent rich Jewish young men in America at a time when Naziism is on the rise. You could say that all Libertarians want to steal blood, but for some weird reason, this "joke" revolves around stealing blood being a trait you force to be associated in such a way you could apply it to the guy named "Zuckerberg".

Here's a good idea - don't "joke" about a jewish man stealing blood under any circumstances. Don't use blood libel. Your joke is not funny and it is not a good idea. I cannot believe I have to lecture people who claim to be leftists about this, but don't keep propping up antisemitic slurs and myths. If you cannot oppose Zuckerberg without resorting to the greatest hits list of Jüdisches Gespräch, maybe you should think about why that is.

Casey Finnigan posted:

Maybe I'm biased because I'm in an assload of federal student loan debt but if Dems aren't going to make it a major point to address the fact that tons of people are saddled with the equivalent of a mortgage to actually get "better skills" and that our college tuition system is broken and gives a massive advantage to the rich, then anything on that front is just hot air. Their platform for 2016 said that they were gonna make it possible to declare bankruptcy on student loans, try to lower interest rates, and continue Obama's loan forgiveness programs. Yeah, that's something, but it's not much, considering that this crushing debt issue is an entirely American phenomenon.

Also depressing to me that in 2016 the Democrats besides Bernie adamantly refused to make any promises that were, you know, big motivators to vote. Even if they had no chance in hell of getting it done, a presidential candidate who was outspoken about moving forward on education/healthcare/etc. reform would have at least forced those ideas into mainstream prominence. But if it's not "realistic" to get an idea passed, seems like they're afraid of even mentioning it. Meanwhile the other guys were just full of poo poo lying left and right and it got them much farther.

You mean like how they made promises that they knew were unrealistic in 2008, and when 2010 rolled around, people were understanding they couldn't do all they said they would and showed up to vote for them?

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 21, 2017

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Oh lol Fulcrum is now accusing people of Nazism for making fun of Silicon vallleys stupidity over immortality.

I hope the dems start backing Medicare for all or Single Payer or elese they are going to lose big, and they should in such case. The dems need to be cleansed of racists like Jefferson Clay.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Fulchrum posted:

Well then maybe you should apply it to Peter Thiel and not to one of the only prominent rich Jewish young men in America at a time when Naziism is on the rise.

Here's a good idea - don't "joke" about a jewish man stealing blood under any circumstances. If you cannot oppose Zuckerberg without resorting to the greatest hits list of "Nazi slurs about jewish people", maybe you should think about why that is.

You mean like how they made promises that they knew were unrealistic in 2008, and when 2010 rolled around, people were understanding they couldn't do all they said they would and showed up to vote for them?

whoa, fulchrum likes zuckerberg?

centrists love sharing their genomes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Crowsbeak posted:

Oh lol Fulcrum is now accusing people of Nazism for making fun of Silicon vallleys stupidity over immortality.

Well you still haven't stopped spouting Nazi crafted useful idiot propaganda, so it seems about right you'd jump to also adopt Nazi talking points on how Jews REALLY act.

• Locked thread