Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

mcmagic posted:

He'll be remembered for stealing the SCOTUS seat.

That's true.

God what a dildo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Rigel posted:

If they are.... I dunno, 60% in NV, then .6 x .45 x .45 = 12%

I have it lower for each Arizona seat. Also, you have to factor in the odds of holding all those Dem seats in red states, which definitely isn't 100%.

Yeah, the odds are against them in MT, ND, MO, and IN. And they'll have a fight in WV, WI, MI, OH, PA, and FL.

Even if they sweep AZx2 and NV they could *lose* seats.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Sinteres posted:

Nobody's saying anyone needs to be crying buckets. It's just the preemptively dancing on people's graves thing some people in this thread like doing that others find offputting. If you believe in an ideology rooted in humanism, turning into a loving ghoul whenever someone you don't like dies isn't putting your best foot forward.

The issue is that McCain isn't somebody I "don't like", he is an enemy who has spent a lot of time supporting policys that make people poorer and sicker. People has been tortured and people are going to die preventable early deaths and queer teens are committing suicide because of him and other Republicans. When fate intervenes to take out someone who is conspiring to kill you, it's OK to be happy.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

He'll be remembered for stealing the SCOTUS seat.

He'll be remembered for elevating raw power politics over institutional norms and the safeguards of the American republican tradition. Stealing the SCOTUS seat is the biggest victory of that strategy.

JailTrump
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

WeAreTheRomans posted:

life comes at you pretty fast

After reading the wikipedia article on that brain cancer and contemplating my life because EVERYONE IN THIS THREAD AND LIVING COULD JUST RANDOMLY COME DOWN WITH IT AND HAVE NO MORE THAN 12 MONTHS TO LIVE LITERALLY.

I feel very bad for that women.

I also feel bad for McCain.

He doesn't deserve this no matter how you view him politically.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

farraday posted:

You read too many spy novels.

I doubt he means he actually has a cybertronic attachment that attaches to his heart to auto email documents through the cyberweb to the new york times.

But like, if trump has committed actual 4 real treason and muller knows he definitely can just go "gently caress, I'm fired, hey new york times , trump took 14 million dollars from russia on this date, oh no, I will have to go to jail for releasing this for like a week"

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Yeah, the odds are against them in MT, ND, MO, and IN. And they'll have a fight in WV, WI, MI, OH, PA, and FL.

In a climate where they win AZx2 and NV, they probably hold their openings pretty easily.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

JailTrump posted:

After reading the wikipedia article on that brain cancer and contemplating my life because EVERYONE IN THIS THREAD AND LIVING COULD JUST RANDOMLY COME DOWN WITH IT AND HAVE NO MORE THAN 12 MONTHS TO LIVE LITERALLY.

A slower, vastly more agonizing death is rightly deserved.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

JailTrump posted:

The idea that some people deserve their diseases is pretty much how you end up with a country that won't provide health care in the first place.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Flip Yr Wig posted:

He'll be remembered for elevating raw power politics over institutional norms and the safeguards of the American republican tradition. Stealing the SCOTUS seat is the biggest victory of that strategy.

That and "Make Obama a one term president." I've heard him compared to John Calhoun which rings true.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

JailTrump posted:

no, he does

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

To be fair, they are not independent events. (Which is why Nate Silver was right, and the other models ultimately proved to be idiotic). In a timeline where we win both Arizona seats, then the odds of holding every Dem seat is a lot better because it probably means some kind of a wave, but its not going to be 100%. There is a chance that we win in the west, but, say Heitkamp still goes down.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

farraday posted:

You read too many spy novels.

Occupational hazard

JailTrump
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Bishounen Bonanza posted:

The issue is that McCain isn't somebody I "don't like", he is an enemy who has spent a lot of time supporting policys that make people poorer and sicker. People has been tortured and people are going to die preventable early deaths and queer teens are committing suicide because of him and other Republicans. When fate intervenes to take out someone who is conspiring to kill you, it's OK to be happy.

I really dislike the "warification" of political language.

People are going to die preventable deaths and people are going to be tortured and commit suicide. But that's not directly McCains fault.

That's the fault of his party - his base - and the nature of the world as a whole.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Rigel posted:

To be fair, they are not independent events. (Which is why Nate Silver was right, and the other models ultimately proved to be idiotic). In a timeline where we win both Arizona seats, then the odds of holding every Dem seat is a lot better because it probably means some kind of a wave, but its not going to be 100%. There is a chance that we win in the west, but, say Heitkamp still goes down.

Aren't the GOP having trouble recruiting for that race?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

JailTrump posted:

People are going to die preventable deaths and people are going to be tortured and commit suicide. But that's not directly McCains fault.

That's the fault of his party - his base - and the nature of the world as a whole.

no that's literally his fault. he's voting alongside his party to rip away health insurance from people. they know this will be a humanitarian disaster. they have been warned over and over. they don't care

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Ultimately, I think the effort to repeal Obamacare will succeed. If McConnell and Ryan are responsible for handing Trump a humiliating defeat, what happens to tax reform/tax cuts? Bannon is going to resume control and his goal on tax reform is very different to what the GOP establishment wants. Again on infrastructure - the GOP's idea of tackling infrastructure is tax credits and privatization. Trump and Bannon will be a lot closer to the Democrats idea of paying blue collar workers to fix roads and bridges, and modernize our infrastructure. I get the feeling Trump has been waiting to get to infrastructure as a moment to work with Democrats, and believes that doing so will reduce the intensity of the Russia investigations and media scrutiny.

Trump is not exactly a forgive and forget kind of guy, and if McConnell fails - the entire GOP agenda goes out the window. Trump will be with them on deregulation, but that is all they are going to get.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

mcmagic posted:

Aren't the GOP having trouble recruiting for that race?

Probably. They are having problems recruiting everywhere

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I would cure McCain's brain with magic if I had that power, to be honest, but I can't make myself feel bad that he will soon be gone.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
*edit* n/m old link.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Red Baron posted:

New political horror movie genre? Groundhog Day but you relive November 9th, 2016 forever?

How is it a horror movie if Obama is president forever?

JailTrump
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Condiv posted:

no that's literally his fault. he's voting alongside his party to rip away health insurance from people. they know this will be a humanitarian disaster. they have been warned over and over. they don't care

There hasn't been a vote, how do you know the way he's going to vote?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Blitz7x posted:

I thought that fell under the Governors realm? Is that something a US senator can really affect?

It reaffirms people's opinions and allows them to feel good about a person they don't agree with dying. McCain had no say in healthcare from 2008 - 2017 at a state or federal level.

She updated her Facebook post to state she didn't have a copy of the letter to share and it was an insurance judge who originally said she should move.

She's pretty certain McCain's office repeated what the judge said, but that's not quite the same thing as McCain himself telling her to leave the state.

But hey, commence two or three pages of "I'm glad he's dying now."

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

marshmonkey posted:

*edit* n/m old link.

Okay, is accepting a direct order on behalf of a foreign government where we finally draw the line?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Rigel posted:

Probably. They are having problems recruiting everywhere

Consider it this way, who wants to defend Trump all day?

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

JailTrump posted:

Basic pattern recognition?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

TyrantWD posted:

Ultimately, I think the effort to repeal Obamacare will succeed.

I think you need to offer more of an explanation why you think that. You basically said that Trump will be mad and vindictive, and permenant tax cuts are shot to hell, but we've already had more than enough Senators say "I don't care, I'm still voting no." Just yesterday a GOP Senator said he didn't think they even had 40 votes for repeal. They couldn't even get it done with billions of dollars of bribe money to make it rain on the states of reluctant senators.

Yeah, there will be consequences for not repealing Obamacare, but they do not have the votes, even given those consequences.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I doubt he means he actually has a cybertronic attachment that attaches to his heart to auto email documents through the cyberweb to the new york times.

But like, if trump has committed actual 4 real treason and muller knows he definitely can just go "gently caress, I'm fired, hey new york times , trump took 14 million dollars from russia on this date, oh no, I will have to go to jail for releasing this for like a week"

You also read too many spy novels.

Mueller believes in the rule of law and the only thing the Archibald Cox president says is his firing will lead to a congressional shitstorm. In the case of his firing he would share everything he learned/discovered/suspected with the new investigators or the congressional investigations.
I'm sorry if that's not dramatic enough for you.

farraday fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 20, 2017

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Like my pet bird died around the same time Antonin Scalia did, and if a magical creature had appeared and given me the choice between bringing one of the two of them back to life, I would still have my pet bird, and I don't even think that makes me a bad person.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Rigel posted:

I think you need to offer more of an explanation why you think that. You basically said that Trump will be mad and vindictive, and permenant tax cuts are shot to hell, but we've already had more than enough Senators say "I don't care, I'm still voting no." Just yesterday a GOP Senator said he didn't think they even had 40 votes for repeal. They couldn't even get it done with billions of dollars of bribe money to make it rain on the states of reluctant senators.

Yeah, there will be consequences for not repealing Obamacare, but they do not have the votes, even given those consequences.

Turns out telling people the solution to healthcare is paying more for shittier coverage generates negative reactions.

Who knew?

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

JailTrump posted:

Politics is the continuation of warfare by other means

Especially if you are making decisions that could affect and kill millions of people.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

TyrantWD posted:

Ultimately, I think the effort to repeal Obamacare will succeed.

I think it will eventually be really easy to get a "repeal obamacare but that doesn't go into effect for 20 years" bill passed since it will both change absolutely nothing at all and in X years they can just extend everything anyway but they will also be able to say "Obamacare is dead, we repealed it, move on"

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

MO is slowly being poisoned against the Trump arm of the GOP because Eric Greitens is a turd that's ruining our state faster than previously thought possible.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Rigel posted:

Yeah, at this stage the GOP understands that the consequences of repealing Obamacare without a replacement are far greater than the consequences of failing to repeal it. Most Senators of course don't care, but enough do, which makes repeal extremely unlikely.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

JailTrump posted:

hasn't really spoken out against the bill, is republican, frequently votes lockstep with republicans even on issues he supposedly cares about like torture

hth

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Democrazy posted:

I don't mean to call bullshit, but given that McCain himself does not actually write anyone and that all correspondence sent from Congress to constituents is carefully crafted by a professional staffer, this doesn't seem like a plausible story.

Even if they did get a letter like that, it would probably be more of a reflection on that individual staff member than McCain himself.

Do you think the sentiment (which I agree is the woman paraphrasing grandly) is something McCain doesn't believe? Do you think any Republican member of congress has any other answer for their constituents than "healthcare is not a right"?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think it will eventually be really easy to get a "repeal obamacare but that doesn't go into effect for 20 years" bill passed since it will both change absolutely nothing at all and in X years they can just extend everything anyway but they will also be able to say "Obamacare is dead, we repealed it, move on"

That would actually be awesome. They get all the political hellfire and consequences for repealing Obamacare, without actually repealing it, because the Dems would likely pass a bill that says "lol, nope" in 2021.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

JailTrump posted:

I think the staffers at the concentration camps used this as their defense during the Nuremburg trials.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I suspect there's a dead man's switch rigged somewhere and if Mueller is shut down it all gets dumped to nyt/wapo.

He might be better off trying to get Congress to reauthorize him as an independent counsel so he could continue the investigation without handcuffs before dumping everything if they won't do it.

Bishounen Bonanza posted:

Yeah once you've decided your political opponents are enemies who deserve death, you're pretty close to signing up for a monstrous authoritarian government that will deliver. gently caress this mindset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JailTrump
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Condiv posted:

hasn't really spoken out against the bill, is republican, frequently votes lockstep with republicans even on issues he supposedly cares about like torture

hth

Didn't he just release a statement saying it was a bad idea to not have a bipartisan bill?

• Locked thread