Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault

Zaphod42 posted:

Not to discount others' experiences, but I've also had no problems with war thunder and I have had issues with other games, so that's interesting.

It used to have issues with the menus but they've gotten (a tiny bit) better.

Playing War Thunder is fine for me, and even my other delicate friend, but the menus really gently caress me up. It's all the looking around. Those things are like SKYSCRAPERS.
All I want is a UI scale so I don't need to break my neck to find the Play button at the top :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

AndrewP posted:

Oh poo poo, Lone Echo Arena is released today? I've been conflating it's release day and Splatoon's in my head. See you guys online tonight.

15 more minutes, then I have to spend all day at work looking at my Rift.

Gozinbulx posted:

The 3 times I tired to get into a Echo Arena game I was either locked in the capsule thing and couldnt get out, or the one time I finally got out, I couldn't float around like everyone else in the lobby, and I didn't even know how to join a game.

Is this a common bug? It literally never worked for me.

Never happened to me. Every time I was able to pull the lever to let myself out of the capsule. I've also always been able to use my wrist thrusters.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

kaffo posted:

Playing War Thunder is fine for me, and even my other delicate friend, but the menus really gently caress me up. It's all the looking around. Those things are like SKYSCRAPERS.
All I want is a UI scale so I don't need to break my neck to find the Play button at the top :negative:

Yeah it really needs work. But like a year ago War Thunder had VR support and the menus were LITERALLY UNREADABLE and so you had to constantly take the headset on and off and it made it awful.

Now they're workable, but yeah.... not comfortable by a longshot.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Gozinbulx posted:

The 3 times I tired to get into a Echo Arena game I was either locked in the capsule thing and couldnt get out, or the one time I finally got out, I couldn't float around like everyone else in the lobby, and I didn't even know how to join a game.

Is this a common bug? It literally never worked for me.

When did you try it? I'm not sure they fixed the prison issue specifically, but I think they might have. If you played closer to July 7th than 17th, then you played before they fixed a lot of those bugs.

It's free forever as long as you download it within the next three months, so I highly recommend downloading it and trying again. The devs are also really responsive in the discord with troubleshooting, I recommend dropping by https://discordapp.com/invite/bnZVvkw

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
War thunder desperately needs a mouse recenter tool because it's so easy to lose track of the cursor and plant your plane in the ground in VR

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Bhodi posted:

War thunder desperately needs a mouse recenter tool because it's so easy to lose track of the cursor and plant your plane in the ground in VR

You're not meant to use the mouse in VR, get a joystick and use that.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

You're not meant to use the mouse in VR, get a joystick and use that.

I like how the controller is fine in War Thunder for the airplanes, but unusable for the tanks because those relay on some weird mouselook.

What did actual tanks use to aim the main gun?

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Zero VGS posted:

Hand cranks I think.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Zero VGS posted:

I like how the controller is fine in War Thunder for the airplanes, but unusable for the tanks because those relay on some weird mouselook.

Yeah I believe it was a pair of cranks, one for elevation and one for rotation of the turret. May have been foot pedals for the turret rotation. Much more time consuming a method of control, but remember that there were usually like 5 people in a tank. In a game like War Thunder where there isn't multicrew support, you need abstraction. Joysticks are fine for planes because that's kinda what they actually used to fly, conversely you'd never see any station on a tank controlled via joystick.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Yeah I believe it was a pair of cranks, one for elevation and one for rotation of the turret. May have been foot pedals for the turret rotation. Much more time consuming a method of control, but remember that there were usually like 5 people in a tank. In a game like War Thunder where there isn't multicrew support, you need abstraction. Joysticks are fine for planes because that's kinda what they actually used to fly, conversely you'd never see any station on a tank controlled via joystick.

Sure but I mean, you can abstract hand-cranks to the two axis on the right analog joystick... as it stands right now they're using it to move a virtual mouse cursor around as a setpoint to where the gun will eventually point, which is goofy.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Zero VGS posted:

Sure but I mean, you can abstract hand-cranks to the two axis on the right analog joystick... as it stands right now they're using it to move a virtual mouse cursor around as a setpoint to where the gun will eventually point, which is goofy.

I think you're misunderstanding what I mean by joystick.

Use one of these. Controllers are not good enough. And no, you can't abstract it to the two axis on the right stick, that's a terrible control scheme when literal point and shoot is much easier to use. That's the best abstraction possible: direct the pointer to your desired position and the little crewmen put the gun there for you.

Joystick for flight, mouse and keyboard for tanks.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

I think you're misunderstanding what I mean by joystick.

Use one of these. Controllers are not good enough. And no, you can't abstract it to the two axis on the right stick, that's a terrible control scheme when literal point and shoot is much easier to use. That's the best abstraction possible: direct the pointer to your desired position and the little crewmen put the gun there for you.

Joystick for flight, mouse and keyboard for tanks.

I'm a massive tank nerd, and what you said earlier is entirely right.
One horizontal and one vertical handcrank. Sometimes the vertical one was legit just taking a pin out of the actual gun, moving it with your shoulder, then locking it back into place.
Later ones made at least the rotation electric, but always has a mechanical backup where you can engage the gears and hand crank it.

But yeah, for VR in War Thunder tanks, it would be utterly amazing if they had multicrew, but it's basically impossible to model correctly with one dude.
I actually started to make a VR tank game... But realised I was like the only tank nerd on the planet, never mind one with VR :negative:

(here's a gif for funzies, I never got the cranks in though)

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

kaffo posted:

I actually started to make a VR tank game... But realised I was like the only tank nerd on the planet, never mind one with VR :negative:

You are so, so, so, so wrong.

I've been dying for a tank sim even before I had VR, now I want IronWolf but tanks.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Colonial Air Force posted:

I've been dying for a tank sim even before I had VR, now I want IronWolf but tanks.

Agreed, this would own.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

kaffo posted:

I'm a massive tank nerd, and what you said earlier is entirely right.
One horizontal and one vertical handcrank. Sometimes the vertical one was legit just taking a pin out of the actual gun, moving it with your shoulder, then locking it back into place.
Later ones made at least the rotation electric, but always has a mechanical backup where you can engage the gears and hand crank it.

But yeah, for VR in War Thunder tanks, it would be utterly amazing if they had multicrew, but it's basically impossible to model correctly with one dude.

Hey, I too am a massive tank nerd. I just don't know how to make games. Tanks are like the submarines of the ground.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

Colonial Air Force posted:

Don't worry. I've just made the whole tank game concept sci-fi themed in a new game, so although it won't be historically accurate WWII poo poo, it'll be more like a hover tank with the same mechanics :smug:

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Tank nerds will probably want to keep an eye on this game too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na530jGHOtI

Panzerwehr 1949. Piloting mechs with tank controls using cranks and gears in an alternate World War 2.

e: http://www.kukuru3.com/presskit/panzerwehr1949

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

kaffo posted:

You know FromSoft made a Kinect tank game right?

If only that poo poo was in VR it would have been amazing instead of awful.

Like okay yeah I think those were mechs but they were so small and squat they were more like tanks.

Aaaaaand one of the VR games people talk about most is that Steam VR game where you just control a submarine and there's just cranks and dials and a periscope and its really hard and realistic and people rave about it??

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Like okay yeah I think those were mechs but they were so small and squat they were more like tanks.

Aaaaaand one of the VR games people talk about most is that Steam VR game where you just control a submarine and there's just cranks and dials and a periscope and its really hard and realistic and people rave about it??

Ironwolf VR is not really hard or realistic, it's pretty arcadey all told, but I'm biased due to my heavy exposure to real time sub simming. The game you're thinking of by From was Steel Battalion Heavy Armour, the sequel to Steel Battalion, the game that famously launched with the massive mech cockpit controller, and the mechs were called Vertical Tanks or Veets.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

The Walrus posted:

so apparently and surprisingly the 'vive and chill' aka the 25 dollar fans that blow on your forehead - is actually getting very good reviews. if you sweat a lot it seems like an essential purchase. I grabbed one and will post some impressions when I get it in august.

oh my god yes

Although I am loathe to pre-order hardware. I'll wait for your review.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, shame the kinect was so badly used... It'd be great to see a AAA dev actually try out a sim like this on VR, but we'll never get it unless Gaijin or the WoT guys make something. Even then I bet it will be an EXPERIENCE

Ironwolf VR is not really hard or realistic, it's pretty arcadey all told, but I'm biased due to my heavy exposure to real time sub simming. The game you're thinking of by From was Steel Battalion Heavy Armour, the sequel to Steel Battalion, the game that famously launched with the massive mech cockpit controller, and the mechs were called Vertical Tanks or Veets.

I know them feels. Ironwolf is a good start, I like that they try to cater for everyone. But it looks like they've slowed to a hault on dev. I was super excited to start playing with the engine stuff.

If someone could only copy out the system code from SubSim and make a nice VR game out of it...

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
installing lone echo now. 20 gigs has got to be a new record for VR.

edit: no, wilsons heart is bigger. maybe mage's tale too but I don't have that one

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 20, 2017

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Zsinjeh posted:

Panzerwehr 1949. Piloting mechs with tank controls using cranks and gears in an alternate World War 2.

:stare: :fh:

Yeah more games like this please. Where the hell is the VR Mechwarrior game???

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

:stare: :fh:

Vox Machinae needs to post some goddamn updates.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Yeah we really need a Mechwarrior or Armored Core VR game like yesterday.

Zsinjeh posted:

Yeah this looks wild

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

IceOrb posted:

I'll just try to keep my purchases inside Oculus Home for now then.

Batman did in fact detect I was wearing a Rift however Hello V did not inject. But its kinda irrelevant cause the game renders in a tiny window so I don't think I'll be streaming that anytime soon.

I popped onto their discord like you recommended though.

Appreciate your assistance! I've largely had a very pleasant experience with getting all this stuff set up. I think now its just down to me finding a bigger play space. I'd like to add another sensor but I'm completely tapped out on usb ports thanks to this thing. (my biggest complaint.)

You can use something other than the applications desktop mirror for a capture source for streaming. The Onward wiki has a pretty comprehensive writeup so I'm just going to quote this page from the wiki since it applies to all VR games/platforms. I recommend the Oculus Mirror over the other options for Oculus Rift users, and the OpenVR OBS plugin over the SteamVR Mirror.

"The Onward Wiki posted:

SteamVR Display Mirror
In the SteamVR settings (the dropdown from the desktop monitor window) enable the Display Mirror option, and then in the Display Mirror window you can change the view to the right eye. Using your broadcasting/recording application of choice select the SteamVR mirror window and you should be set!
Note that the SteamVR display mirror has somewhat poor visual quality. No SS is applied, in addition there is an interpolation "mask" that causes additional jaggies. Complaining on the SteamVR discussion hub might help get someone to improve this particular problem!

Notes
The native aspect ratio of one eye in a Vive/Rift is 1080x1200, which is very unusual to say the least. The SteamVR mirror outputs in this aspect ratio, so you will want to manipulate your OBS Studio canvas/output to capture a 16x9 aspect ratio (1280x720) for your stream/recording. This does end up cropping a lot of the SteamVR mirror so it cannot be seen, however, the SteamVR fov is such that much of the display output cannot be seen in your HMD, so it ends up being kind of a wash. To do so shrink the SteamVR mirror source in OBS until it fills the window side to side and then experiment with adjusting the height slightly until you find a good center.
Note that I need some supporting comments from a Vive owner for the above section, I only have experience with doing the same thing for a Rift.

OBS OpenVR Plugin
A very excellent OBS-Studio plugin was released on 7-8-2017 and is both easier and provides superior image quality to the SteamVR Display Mirror. You can download it here, along with some installation tips. https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/openvr-input-plugin.534/

Note, the first release didn't seem to fill a 16x9 canvas when you go to settings and pick from the dropdown options. Adjusting the sliders manually a little bit allowed it to fill the canvas properly.

Oculus Mirror
The Oculus Mirror application is a CLI process that is located in the Oculus Diagnostics folder. The fov / aspect ratio of the Oculus Mirror is fixed, so while you can (as of 1.15) change the Height and Width of the mirror, the aspect ratio remains the same. The aspect ratio seems to be made for 16x9 output, with variances in a 16x9 resolution in the settings just stretching/cropping that aspect ratio. However, the aspect ratio provided is great for streaming AND it is a high quality output!
Navigate to your Oculus Diagnostics folder, under c:\program files\oculus\support\oculus-diagnostics\, right click OculusMirror.exe and select Send-To->Deskto(Create Shortcut).
Then navigate to the desktop, go to properties on the OculusMirror target, and change the Target to look something like this:
For Oculus Home 1.15
"C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics\OculusMirror.exe" -Width 1280 -Height 720 -RightEyeOnly"
For Oculus Home 1.16
"C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics\OculusMirror.exe" --RightEyeOnly --Size 1280 720"

Notes
The Oculus mirror outputs in a fixed 16x9 aspect ratio at a fixed fov, which is a little lower than what can bee seen in the HMD. However, considering you would have to morph the resulting window for OBS/etc to pick up, its kind of a wash. The greatly increased output quality make this a much better option for a capture source than using SteamVR Display Mirror if you are an Rift owner.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Rastor posted:

Vox Machinae needs to post some goddamn updates.

Jesus christ I can't agree more. That was one of the most brilliant demos... 2 years ago, what the heck has been happening since?

The demo was updated to work with the cv1, so I still think its worth checking out for anyone interested in vr mech games. Even if it will only make you upset that theres no real info on the full game after all this time when you see you well it nailed it.

EDIT: lmao, my mistake, the demo is almost 3 years old god drat. They better be just waiting to spring a fully formed game on the world out of nowhere or something.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 20, 2017

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
Bought Lone Echo without even looking for reviews. After the awesome rollout of Echo Arena I want to support those dudes. Hopefully it's good!

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah we really need a Mechwarrior or Armored Core VR game like yesterday.

Mechwarrior is currently being tortured in PGI's basement and you don't want them anywhere near you

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lemming posted:

Mechwarrior is currently being tortured in PGI's basement and you don't want them anywhere near you

You can file the names off and make them legally distinct for all I care.

The only mech game we have is RIGS and that ain't cutting the mustard.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
Yeah I don't necessarily mean mechwarrior as in battletech but some kind of mech simulator game. I want giant stompy death robots :mad:

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

A super serious WW2 era submarine game would be amazing in VR. And while we are spit balling here, I also want a game where I can play as a roman legionary. Let me stand in formation and raise my shield and let me and my fellow nerds form the Testudo formation to protect ourselves from barbarian arrows or something like that!

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-v7cBKt7bA

:sigh: Where are you?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I want a Pacific Rim game where you have to coordinate movements with a teammate and the better you coordinate the stronger you are I DEMAND THIS

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Zsinjeh posted:

haha oh my god that looks great. I'd want a subpac if I'm going to be firing cannons though.

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

A super serious WW2 era submarine game would be amazing in VR. And while we are spit balling here, I also want a game where I can play as a roman legionary. Let me stand in formation and raise my shield and let me and my fellow nerds form the Testudo formation to protect ourselves from barbarian arrows or something like that!

A realistic, WW2 submarine game similar to Bridge Crew would be suuuper dope. I'd pay large amounts of money for it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

We're getting two: Atlantic Ghost and Wolfpack, plus an indeterminate Das Boot VR project.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Is there any way to just completely disable the desktop mirror? No one else is watching me play, and I'd rather use that performance on supersampling than something I can't even see because my monitor's not even turned on when I am in VR most of the time.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
Lone Echo seems cool so far! This is the first VR game that makes me want to upgrade my 970 to something beefier though. Everything ran fine inside but once you get outside the framerate takes a hit and everything looks pretty muddy. Could do with some supersampling.

I'm enjoying the gameplay itself a lot. Kind of relaxing tackling problems around a space station one at a time. A bit like my dayjob, just without all the zero g or robots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

GutBomb posted:

Is there any way to just completely disable the desktop mirror? No one else is watching me play, and I'd rather use that performance on supersampling than something I can't even see because my monitor's not even turned on when I am in VR most of the time.

Not that I know of, but the overhead is super minimal, it just outputs the pre-distorted image, which is free since it needed to render that anyway.