Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

biosterous posted:

Looking forward to the DLC - I remember at least one of them being pretty neat.

they're both pretty good in their own ways. i haven't played either in a while but i have some good memories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Maybe they were going for Mr. *static* being some sort of self-insert or an everyman, who is going to solve the problems that Alan cannot do and not be named like a villain character.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Scalding Coffee posted:

Maybe they were going for Mr. *static* being some sort of self-insert or an everyman, who is going to solve the problems that Alan cannot do and not be named like a villain character.

I doubt it, judging from the fact that Mr. Scratch has been a name for the Devil or some kind of evil antagonist since 1936.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I feel as though a better ending would've been the Darkness breaking Alan's knees and tying him to a bed, instead of just locking him in a dark room and forcing him to write a book.

As fun as it was to poo poo on the game and nitpick all its flaws this was a pretty solid game when it came out and contained an impressive amount of detail; recycled assets and skyboat clones aside. I don't think I've ever seen the DLC, so that'll be fun if/when you get around to them.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I've always taken Alan's final line in a more of sequel hook light, much like the rest of the ending. Basically meaning "There's a lot more of this to see than it appears." A bit boring I suppose.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I still don't understand Zane's poem from the start of the game:

quote:

For he did not know, that beyond the lake he called home,
There lied a deeper, and darker ocean green.
Where waves are both wilder and more serene.
To its ports I've been,
To its ports I've been.

Like... ok, so in a literal sense, the "lake he called home" is cauldron lake. The deeper, darker ocean green is the dark place. "To its ports I've been" means, uh, he's been there? Is that it?? There's gotta be more to it, right??? Cause like, why would he say that to Alan in the dream at the start if there wasn't anything more to it than that???

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think it means the Dark Place and the Dark Presence in general are bigger and deeper than just what's seen in Bright Falls, and Zane has found it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

ALAN

ALAN PLEASE LISTEN TO MY POETRY

I WORKED VERY HARD ON IT AND HAD TO WRITE IT INTO OBSCURITY

ALAN?

ALAN PLEASE DON'T WALK AWAY, THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!
I think when you think of the idea that they were going for with the narrative, it's supposed to feel more vast and deep and far reaching than it actually winds up being in practice. Mostly because as much as he would prefer it, Sam Lake is not a writer with supernatural powers over reality and some of his writing kinda falls flat.

That said, Alan wake is one of my favorite games ever and I really wish they could have gotten funding for a sequel.

Great LP CJacobs! Try not to drive yourself insane while exploring the dlc and American Nightmare.

(I always took the ending line to be more of a sequel bait kind of move where the darkness isn't just confined to cauldron lake anymore, but has power and reach far beyond what we've seen thus far, thanks to Alan's writing. He even says that it's a long hard road back to the light, as thoigh he still has to travel it. So yeah, Alan unleashed the darkness in exchange for saving his wife, now he's gotta stuff the lid back on Pandora's box.)

IBlameRoadSuess fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jul 4, 2017

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
My ancestor Shei-kun the 1st started on this LP, and I, Shei-kun the 30th, shall continue on the proud family tradition of waiting for the next update.

My descendants shall keep watch upon this thread until its final closing, in honor of the dark pact we made long ago.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

I think when you think of the idea that they were going for with the narrative, it's supposed to feel more vast and deep and far reaching than it actually winds up being in practice. Mostly because as much as he would prefer it, Sam Lake is not a writer with supernatural powers over reality and some of his writing kinda falls flat.

That said, Alan wake is one of my favorite games ever and I really wish they could have gotten funding for a sequel.

I agreed once upon a time, but honestly, the end of the DLC caps off the story in such a way I think a sequel wouldn't do it justice now. I didn't like the game's ending when I originally finished it, but taking the DLC as the last episode of the game proper instead of its own thing (as is clearly intended) made me do a 180 on that.

Though it does kinda suck the game has a really satisfying ending locked behind DLC. But we'll get there when we get there, I guess.

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
Why does the clicker take batteries?

I always thought Alan's last line was a sequel hook, kind of. It has the usual implication toward a future sequel, or sequels, with Alan acknowledging the darkness is larger than once believed. Next, we could have the globe trotting adventures of Alan Wake as he solves mysteries with a cadre of kooky characters (somewhat like American Nightmare). And since the darkness and its powers over creativity are ill-defined, just about anything could happen in these potential sequels. Sure, one can draw parallels between the darkness and creativity. After all, the game's story encourages this. Maybe the darkness is part of mankind. Maybe it's the destructive opposite to the constructive creativity. Maybe Cauldron Lake is one outlet for this force without form that dates back to the forming of the world. Sadly, any speculation about the nature of the darkness and its relationship to the world or artists or creativity remains as speculation. The American Nightmare, from what I've seen since I've never played it, shows solid proof-of-concept for a franchise that'll never be.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Mr. Highway posted:

I always thought Alan's last line was a sequel hook, kind of. It has the usual implication toward a future sequel, or sequels, with Alan acknowledging the darkness is larger than once believed. Next, we could have the globe trotting adventures of Alan Wake as he solves mysteries with a cadre of kooky characters (somewhat like American Nightmare). And since the darkness and its powers over creativity are ill-defined, just about anything could happen in these potential sequels. Sure, one can draw parallels between the darkness and creativity. After all, the game's story encourages this. Maybe the darkness is part of mankind. Maybe it's the destructive opposite to the constructive creativity. Maybe Cauldron Lake is one outlet for this force without form that dates back to the forming of the world. Sadly, any speculation about the nature of the darkness and its relationship to the world or artists or creativity remains as speculation. The American Nightmare, from what I've seen since I've never played it, shows solid proof-of-concept for a franchise that'll never be.

There was an unreleased concept demo for AW2 that is kinda what you described. A lot of it ended up in American Nightmare.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the lack of an actual sequel is kind of sad, because the gameplay improvements in american nightmare are really good and would have made for a fun game

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I wanna say that the poem is the Darkness trying to write itself into existence and keep itself from being fully... erased? Deleted? The whole 'it's not a lake' thing is just Alan himself writing in a continuation because he's an author and needs a steady paycheck.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
My response to fan theories is to ask what it adds to the story, and I don't think Thomas Zane being Alan's father adds anything. There isn't enough of a relationship developed between them, and in fact the uncertainty of their familial relationship adds to the uncertainty about reality that exists between Alan and Zane. Alan Wake is about writers and writing, so there doesn't need to be a relationship between the two other than creator and created. How much did Zane use Alan? As an author creating a character, as a father abandoning his son in order to help him, or as the creation of Alan himself as a mentor figure to help guide him through the story Alan himself created?

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
The ending of Alan Wake (as in the end of the main game, before the DLC and American Nightmare) is the part where I start not liking the story so much. It feels like they sort of wrote themselves into a corner in terms of what it could be about, and I didn't find it that interesting.

I also didn't enjoy playing the DLC very much, from memory... but I did enjoy American Nightmare.

This was cool; I'd never seen this before. The combat looked more fun than in Alan Wake; it's a pity it didn't turn into anything.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Antistar01 posted:

The ending of Alan Wake (as in the end of the main game, before the DLC and American Nightmare) is the part where I start not liking the story so much. It feels like they sort of wrote themselves into a corner in terms of what it could be about, and I didn't find it that interesting.

My major gripe with the game has always been that the darkness's powers are way too clearly defined by the gameplay. You get possessed folks, possessed birds, possessed barrels and finally possessed vehicles. And that's it. Nothing you can't shoot/shine a flashlight at. It's manageable and predictable.

The scariest thing to me is when the lady from the diner gets possessed. Surely, Alan couldn't just shoot her. Those stakes don't exist anywhere else in the game.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

value-brand cereal posted:

I wanna say that the poem is the Darkness trying to write itself into existence and keep itself from being fully... erased? Deleted? The whole 'it's not a lake' thing is just Alan himself writing in a continuation because he's an author and needs a steady paycheck.

I always assumed that the poem was the first one Zane wrote about the Darkness. The first time Zane's words shaped the darkness, and thus, the beginning of Zane's story. So, for whatever reason, Zane felt it was important that Alan's story also begin with it.

DLord
Apr 28, 2013
So we doing the DLC too, because its fairly fun

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
We are! I'm giving it a little bit so I can assemble my bonus features and so on but I will be doing the DLC stories, yes.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Alan Wake will resume probably next week, I'm catching up on school work and other LP stuff this week! I also will probably post all the manuscript pages we've been missing out on now that there's no more spoilers to... spoil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR8j-oN7IzI

In the meantime, Youtube finally got around to removing annotations like I've been complaining about for a while and I am upset enough to make a video about it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Youtube UI changes, censorship, and now cards. It just can't help itself in getting worse every year.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Yeah! I remember Kamoc doing that ages ago, and it's too bad it wasn't a more popular way of making LPs interesting, and be able to show off info or backstory with the viewer having to pause the screen, or having to stop the gameplay and explain stuff. God these new 'cards' thing sound awful.

[ps, I love the slow fade in of the dude holding the money bag. Nice.]

Scalding Coffee posted:

Youtube UI changes, censorship, and now cards. It just can't help itself in getting worse every year.

Yeah, start nabbing urls and user names on other sites just in case there's migration. Future-proofing yourself, so to speak.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
It boggles the mind, really. Youtube/Google have so much money. So much. Seems like they could afford to hire some decent UI/user experience people!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

But then they would have less money than when they started, and that doesn't make any sense.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Some interesting fan art from toteczious.tumblr.com:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Even in fan art Barry continues to be the greatest.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I was thinking about it, and you know what? It's kinda nice Alan tried to write that Barry and Sarah the Sheriff might end up together, romantically or friendshiply. Thanks Alan, for looking out for the most important character: Barry.

chitoryu12 posted:

Some interesting fan art from toteczious.tumblr.com:

I'm the pupper cradled in that guys arms, safe and unmurdered :3:

White Coke
May 29, 2015

I'm the pupper cradled in that guys arms, safe and unmurdered :3:

I'm the broom being used by Odin to rock out.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

I was thinking about it, and you know what? It's kinda nice Alan tried to write that Barry and Sarah the Sheriff might end up together, romantically or friendshiply. Thanks Alan, for looking out for the most important character: Barry.

Yeah, I also appreciate that it was only left as possibility and didn't actually happen, to avoid the whole uncomfortable 'You two will fall in love because I WROTE IT IN THIS STORY!' vibe.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P85Trn4hjN4

Alan Wake will be back probably tomorrow or Wednesday.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Wait, "Can you hear me? Can you hear me now?" is a tag-line for a mobile phone company? That seems weird... sort of like "buy our phones and you'll have lovely reception!".

Maybe I'm just missing the context; I've never seen a Verizon ad. Well... barring Alan Wake.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Antistar01 posted:

Maybe I'm just missing the context; I've never seen a Verizon ad. Well... barring Alan Wake.

You are. The gimmick was that the dude would go to extremely remote places, hold up the phone and say "Can you hear me now?" and be pleasantly surprised that, yup, they can still hear him.

Except as you will find out, much like all the product placement in Alan Wake, the gps doesn't work worth a drat and the Verizon phone actually gets Alan expressly deeper into trouble! :downs:

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Except as you will find out, much like all the product placement in Alan Wake, the gps doesn't work worth a drat and the Verizon phone actually gets Alan expressly deeper into trouble! :downs:

The truth is that the DLC is an allegory for how evil phone companies are, and how poo poo cell phone 'signals' were back in the day.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Antistar01 posted:

Wait, "Can you hear me? Can you hear me now?" is a tag-line for a mobile phone company? That seems weird... sort of like "buy our phones and you'll have lovely reception!".

Basically those ads were some dude showing up in a bunch of out of the way places with a cell phone going "Can you hear me now? Good."

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Antistar01 posted:

The original context is that in the commercials someone was using some OTHER network, gets handed a Verizon phone, and goes "Can you hear me now? Good!" It morphed into a joke after that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Can you not hear me now? Are you not entertained? Is that not why you are here?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Hello?

... Did anyone say anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Betrayal!!

I guess they could not hear him any longer.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 25, 2017

• Locked thread