Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."

Personally, if you could 3d print a custom spring closing door that would fit the slot you modified, I don't think it would look too bad. I would actually prefer it over an American SNES TBH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can anyone recommend some decent retro controllers that work with a Wii? I turned mine into an emulation console and I really want to replace the old madkatz gc controller I dug out from the garage, with ones that have the original SNES and NES layouts and a good build quality. If it can work on a PC via USB too that's even better, I just don't recall if USBs controller work on a WII, I know memory devices do, but I don't recall if controllers do.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
2600: I have a colecovision permanently hooked up, one can plug in the 2600 addon if I ever wanted to play. Any other consoles have this type of support for another console?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Not unless you consider the backwards compatibility of the Playstations and Genesis.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

univbee posted:

Yeah, it's nowhere near as easy as modding an SNES for SFC games, as US carts are wider than Japanese ones.

So you have to actually chisel away the outer edges of the cases, which is undeniably visible and hard to get to look "clean".

Yeah that's exactly what I meant bout 'route more of the case'. Figured. Maybe I used the wrong word but I think that means to like, cut with a jigsaw, you know?

Could still do it but yeah, kinda gnarly. Just get a SNES!

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah that's exactly what I meant bout 'route more of the case'. Figured. Maybe I used the wrong word but I think that means to like, cut with a jigsaw, you know?

Could still do it but yeah, kinda gnarly. Just get a SNES!

A SNES has a ton of disadvantages compared to the SFC though. The crazy non-standard PSU plug is probably the biggest problem other than just being ugly as sin. If you have a SD2SNES then there is only a very small handful of games that don't work on that. The Japanese versions of all of them are dirt cheap cart only, so you can just buy them or if you have US version spend 10 minutes and swap shells like I did.

Hell, I even went the extra mile and swapped the shells on my controllers so I have SFC controllers with 6 foot cords. Granted I have 8bitdo Retro Receivers for both my SFC and my AV Fami so I rarely use the original controllers now.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

It's... beautiful :swoon:

e: To add to the Atarichat from the last few pages - I don't think the "Golden Age of Arcade Games" really holds up. Sure, Space Invaders, Donkey Kong, and Xevious were really good games (hence their popularity), but on the whole from 78-83 the games are unplayable, unenjoyable jank. I put forth the notion that 85-94 is packed with great arcade titles (from every genre, even) that are still playable today, and is the "real" Golden Age. Much like the Atari issue, I think this might also be an age thing. And the fact that I'm not fond of maze games.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jul 20, 2017

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

falz posted:

2600: I have a colecovision permanently hooked up, one can plug in the 2600 addon if I ever wanted to play. Any other consoles have this type of support for another console?

Elliotw2 posted:

Not unless you consider the backwards compatibility of the Playstations and Genesis.

You can plug a Retrogen into your SNES to play Genesis games. Between that and my Retron, I sold my genesis since I rarely play Sega games.

Unless you mean some official licensed means.

Don't forget about the Gameboy Player for the Gamecube and Super Gameboy for the SNES.

And I guess the 32x/cd add-ons for the Genesis, but that doesn't really count I guess.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 20, 2017

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone ever use the Mayflash NES/SNES/FC/SFC Controller Adapter for Wii & Wii U?
https://www.amazon.com/Mayflash-NES-SNES-Controller-Adapter/dp/B00B2K0C8M

Like I said I'm looking for something will allow a USB controller to work for a Wii or an adapter for the original controllers.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Dunno about that but their Wii U Pro controller to PC dongle thing works pretty well.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Anyone ever use the Mayflash NES/SNES/FC/SFC Controller Adapter for Wii & Wii U?
https://www.amazon.com/Mayflash-NES-SNES-Controller-Adapter/dp/B00B2K0C8M

Like I said I'm looking for something will allow a USB controller to work for a Wii or an adapter for the original controllers.

Try Raphnet.

I use the SNES to GC adapter for when I play games on the Gameboy Player, so I'd be surprised if the adapters to go to the Wii doesn't work just as well.

I know the adapter I have allows for some different button mapping arrangements and things like that.

They sell some stuff on Amazon as well.

This one in particular may interest you

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 20, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FireMrshlBill posted:

You can plug a Retrogen into your SNES to play Genesis games.

What the gently caress? How does this work? Is it good? I wouldn't mind picking up something like this because I don't own a Genesis but there are a few games I'd like to have.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

What the gently caress? How does this work? Is it good? I wouldn't mind picking up something like this because I don't own a Genesis but there are a few games I'd like to have.

It uses the SNES for power and controllers. Then there is a separate video out that goes from the Retrogen cart to your TV. So I just plug that into the front inputs on my CRT when I use it. Only does composite video out, but I think that the quality is the same as a reg genesis. Apparently the audio isn't as great but I am no expert on Sega games, so it is good enough for me. So if you are looking to get best quality, it isn't the thing to use. But if you only have a handful of Genesis games and don't feel like having a separate console (or lack the space under your TV for one), then this will do the trick.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 20, 2017

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FireMrshlBill posted:

Try Raphnet.

I use the SNES to GC adapter for when I play games on the Gameboy Player, so I'd be surprised if the adapters to go to the Wii doesn't work just as well.

I know the adapter I has allows for some different button mapping arrangements and things like that.

They sell some stuff on Amazon as well.

This one in particular may interest you

Awesome this is exactly the type of thing I was looking for, well perhaps if I can find one stocked via Amazon Prime.

The Wii is so weird in that it's easy to turn into an emulation machine, but controller options are a bit weird.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 20, 2017

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Nate RFB posted:

Earthbound is probably the one white whale that I'd love to have in my collection but probably never will. It's an archaic game in a number of ways that makes playing it in 2017 kind of frustrating, but I still more or less enjoyed my time with it. Having played it on the VC, Shantae on the other hand is nowhere near good enough to justify the cost IMO.

When I bought my Dreamcast at a Meijer back in 2000 they had glass case completely full of Earthbound. There must have been 30 of those huge boxes, all for $15, and I didn't buy even one because I spent all my cash on the Dreamcast.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

falz posted:

The Intellivision II had a converter to play Atari (and Colecovision, since at least Donkey Kong worked) games.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."

Bigass Moth posted:

When I bought my Dreamcast at a Meijer back in 2000 they had glass case completely full of Earthbound. There must have been 30 of those huge boxes, all for $15, and I didn't buy even one because I spent all my cash on the Dreamcast.

Better purchase imo

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I remember reading/hearing somewhere that Earthbound's supposed rarity is mostly fabricated. The game is a cult classic and a collector's item, sure, but isn't really all that uncommon and its prices are blown way out of proportion.

Is there any truth to that?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Mak0rz posted:

The video and audio quality is pretty bad since it's an SOAC Genesis clone that leeches power and controller inputs from the SNES.

Also a Genesis proper is only slightly more expensive.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Elliotw2 posted:

The video and audio quality is pretty bad since it's an SOAC Genesis clone that leeches power and controller inputs from the SNES.

Yeah I know. I just don't want to buy another console to clutter up my gaming space just to play a handful of games. Oh well, I'll stick to emulating them in one way or another.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Elliotw2 posted:

Mak0rz posted:

Yeah I know. I just don't want to buy another console to clutter up my gaming space just to play a handful of games. Oh well, I'll stick to emulating them in one way or another.

Maybe it is game dependent, however I haven't noticed any bad video quality in the games I play. Sound wise, I wouldn't say it is bad either, just some of it is a bit "off" if you did a side by side comparison; however, I haven't noticed anything bad enough to be detrimental to gameplay if you didn't do side-by-side comparisons or didn't have knowledge enough of the games to notice subtle differences (in which case I assume you already have a Genesis hooked up). If you already have a Retron or something, then that is better, but if you have a setup for older consoles and don't have room or desire for a Genesis, it is fine to get the job done.

In my case, I didn't have a Genesis growing up and just played it at friends houses, so while I knew how to get through things like sonic and can recognize songs, I don't have an intimate enough knowledge where slight pitch changes would bother me. Not enough to find another spot in my setup for a Genesis.

Again, maybe games I haven't played on it are terrible, but I haven't noticed any glaring issues for my use scenario.

It sounds like Mak0rz is in a similar situation with having a handful of games but not having the room or need to get the console itself.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Ofecks posted:

It's... beautiful :swoon:

e: To add to the Atarichat from the last few pages - I don't think the "Golden Age of Arcade Games" really holds up. Sure, Space Invaders, Donkey Kong, and Xevious were really good games (hence their popularity), but on the whole from 78-83 the games are unplayable, unenjoyable jank. I put forth the notion that 85-94 is packed with great arcade titles (from every genre, even) that are still playable today, and is the "real" Golden Age. Much like the Atari issue, I think this might also be an age thing. And the fact that I'm not fond of maze games.

Yeah, Galaga, Burgertime, Pac-Man and Frogger are loving trash, right?

what the gently caress is wrong with you

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mak0rz posted:

I remember reading/hearing somewhere that Earthbound's supposed rarity is mostly fabricated. The game is a cult classic and a collector's item, sure, but isn't really all that uncommon and its prices are blown way out of proportion.

At this point that's the case for all SNES games

Genesis and SFC games are maaaaaassively cheaper for not really any significant reason. Just market demand and hyping itself and speculators playing the market and poo poo.

That said, Earthbound was only ever sold in the US in this big fat box with the guide and it didn't move as many copies as games like Super Mario World, no doubt about that.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Sir Tonk posted:

I think it looks dumb, but it is objectively the best.

Making an SNES weigh as much as an N64 cart was rather impressive.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Shlomo Palestein posted:

The Intellivision II had a converter to play Atari (and Colecovision, since at least Donkey Kong worked) games.

I'm trying to find a source on the Colecovision adapter for the Intellivision and haven't had any luck. Have any resources you can share on this?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

Is "it's complicated" a good answer for you?

Earthbound was a very late game on a platform that Nintendo was moving away from in a genre that typically had not done well in the US. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say they probably made about 100k of them and that would have been overprinting. So while there's plenty more copies of Earthbound out there than, say, Panzer Dragoon Saga, they're not plentiful enough to really match demand for them. So Earthbound would be on the expensive side of things no matter what.

However, Earthbound has also become famous for being rare and expensive. That knowledge pushes the price higher beyond what you could anticipate because there's an expectation of that price.

So you've got some overlapping effects that take Earthbound from "a kind of rare game that's a bit expensive" to "stupid expensive".

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

More or less, yes. Nintendo pushed it pretty hard and every department store was trying to get rid of it a few years later for pennies. It has unique packaging, is namedropped in almost every circle, and people who own it aren't selling it which all contribute to an inflated price.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I've heard that Earthbound sold ~900K copies, and there were reportedly 1.5M produced.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Is it just me or have Genesis prices gone up a bunch in the past year or so?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

falz posted:

No, because no other console that was popular used as many off the shelf and easily copyable parts.

roffels posted:

I'm trying to find a source on the Colecovision adapter for the Intellivision and haven't had any luck. Have any resources you can share on this?

He's probably just confused about how the Coleco-published games for the 2600 have different shaped cartridges.

A Colecovision adapter for the Intellivision would be far too expensive back in the day while the Intellivision was actually being sold, while the System Changer for the Intellivision and the Module II (I think is the name) for the Colecovision could be made dirt cheap because the 2600 was so old and of off-the-shelf parts.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
I guess this exists too, saw one for the first time a few months ago, no clue it existed before. Id guess it was around the same time as the Atari adapter for the Coleco.

http://www.atarimuseum.com/videogames/consoles/5200/cx55.html

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

roffels posted:

Edit again: yeah, what Fishmech said

I don't, except for the fact that it worked on the one I had as a kid. It was ostensibly just to play 2600 games. It is possible I'm misremembering, but the Donkey Kong cart was sort of light tan and I swear it said colecovision.

Edit: this thing http://www.intellivisionlives.com/bluesky/hardware/changer_tech.html

George RR Fartin fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jul 21, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

RodShaft posted:

Is it just me or have Genesis prices gone up a bunch in the past year or so?

They all go up a bit over time as there's no more supply, but it doesn't seem to be inflating nearly as fast as SNES games to me :shrug:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The sheer amount of variety in Atari 2600 cases is such a shitshow, even though it's also pretty cool.

Here's the 2600 Coleco Donkey Kong placed right next to the Colecovision Coleco Donkey Kong:

Or even better, Mattel's Atari 2600 cartridges:

And then their Intellivision cartridges:

Literally just strap a chunk of plastic on the end big enough to fit over the socket in the 2600 cartridge port. Why not?

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Re: Atarichat. There is only one good Atari game, and that's Pitfall. And even pitfall isn't that great.

Enduro rules. Yars' Revenge is a unique design that's also still pretty playable today, if a bit repetitive (like most 2600 games.)

H.E.R.O. is rad. Dragonfire and Frostbite are good. River Raid is fun.

I actually put Combat in front of a couple kids in the recent past and they were intrigued and had some fun with it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
On this Atari topic, the Stella emulator updated a couple of days ago, with a new TIA core that brings the video emulation to within a gnat's nuthair of perfection.

In unrelated and entirely unsurprising news, Nintendo filed for a EU trademark last Tuesday for a lineart illustration of an N64 controller. I guess the Classic series is going further on past the SNES, then?

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

This is going to be a weird post.

I decided I was going to take on a challenge to beat every SNES game released in the US, knowing this will be a several-year endeavor, most likely. I've decided on RNG to pick games, and so far it's given me two very awful games, Super Soccer and International Tennis Tour. I'm terrible at sports games, too, but these games are incredibly bad.

Super Soccer, as awful as it was, at least functioned, and with a great deal of stubbornness, I did manage to beat the game. International Tennis Tour is so broken on a fundamental level that I can't even decide if the game is beatable.

The AI has difficulty even getting the ball over the net during serves, and the game's code for determining faults is barely there at all. I watched an AI net-ball on a serve for FOUR SOLID MINUTES before they finally earned a fault. To compensate, once you reach higher levels in a tournament (3rd AI onward), the AI moves much faster than you can and will never miss a ball. I'm also fairly sure there are button reading shenanigans going on to make sure it hits the ball to places you can't reach with your stubby human legs.

The Y button, for all intents and purposes that I can see, seems to be an automatic "Give the other player a point" button, because you'll always knock the ball out with it. As an added bonus, it's the fast shot button, which means your primary means of throwing an opponent off balance just... doesn't work. Not that it matters, because the AI can instantly recover from dives and will be back in the center of the court before the ball even reaches you.

Then there's the sticky issue of what constitutes even beating the game. There's a career mode, which is just a tournament each game week. Then there's also a tournament mode, and a doubles tournament mode. All the tournaments in the career mode seem functionally identical. Is doing a tournament enough (not that I'll ever win, the god-king AIs kick in for round 3 of 5)? I really have no idea here. Sports games are going to be a hard thing to determine whether or not I've "beaten."

The worst god drat part is that there are no guides for this game, anywhere. No longplays. Nothing that might give me any sort of hint or insight whatsoever into any way to conquer this hell I've found myself in. It's almost like this game exists solely in my nightmares.

I guess what I'm asking for is this:
1) What would you do when confronted with this scenario and needing to come up with a completion criteria for this game?
2) Does ANYONE know some sort of strategy for this game?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Novasol posted:

1) What would you do when confronted with this scenario and needing to come up with a completion criteria for this game?

Give up and move on unless I am being paid to be angry at games on the internet.

sinepost
Nov 16, 2004

four o'clock and all's well
Yeah, if you're not having any fun playing it whatsoever then what's the point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Rollersnake posted:

Give up and move on unless I am being paid to be angry at games on the internet.

About that, I've been streaming it, so, :negative:

In any case, yeah, I guess I need to move on. I did manage to win some matches, at least.

Novasol fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jul 21, 2017

• Locked thread