Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Lockback posted:

Brandon Rush was really bad last year. I don't know if it was fit or he is cooked, but he was really bad.

Can't be much worse that Wilkins! Especially as a end of the bench guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

I wish the Mavs standoff with Noel would end already. According to a random person on Dallas sports radio (no idea about the accuracy of this) the Mavs current offer to Noel was 3 years starting at $16 or $17 million a year with a 4th year as a player option. If that's true I understand why he hasn't signed a deal yet. How unlucky to be a free agent this summer instead of last summer.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
$17 mil with a player option seems pretty good for a young 1.5-dimensional center with injury history

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/888083606937141249

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Rose to the Cavs seems like an insanely good way to fill a kneed as long as Kyrie stays healthy. He would strengthen that rickety bench after they get a few strong joint practices in. Rose would easily be the best player on their bench imho

If the world ended right now and this was the last evidence of mankind....

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 20, 2017

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/888093608594870273

:lol: is Magic steals Rose with a big offer

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Gotta dump D'Angelo, though

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

morestuff posted:

Gotta dump D'Angelo, though

um...russell was traded to the nets like a month ago

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Ammanas posted:

um...russell was traded to the nets like a month ago

Armed with that knowledge, re-read his post in a joking voice

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Cool Buff Man posted:

Armed with that knowledge, re-read his post in a joking voice

its either not a joke or its not funny, vote now to decide

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/jimlefko/status/888093431058362369

Pssst...It's Stephen Jackson

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

pubic works project posted:

Is it just me or does that seem to be a lot for him? I didn't get a chance to watch the Wolves much last year.

Yeah, I mean, I like him a lot too, but that seems like a lot

I mean, I know he would probably get offered that on the market, but it still seems like a ton of money

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ammanas posted:

its either not a joke or its not funny, vote now to decide

I choose option C: your broke brain can't appreciate it

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Bush Did Outer Heaven posted:

I think that's a no-brainer for the Cavs. LeBron's openly chafed at having to be the backup point guard, and the FO has responded by adding tiny lil Kay Felder, busted rear end Deron Williams, and roasted rear end Jose Calderon to this point. Rose can still excel at sprinting past reserve guards in limited minutes.

Deron was pretty good until the Finals, and I can't imagine Rose is a huge step up against the Warriors

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

well my brain is broke, so

http://deadspin.com/new-warriors-arena-will-require-psls-for-season-tickets-1797086546

i called this poo poo. the warriors owners are running the same exact scam the 49ers did. build the team up, pay for talent, then yank the rug out once your new stadium is paid for with PSL sales

the warriors will be good for 3 more years max

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Ammanas posted:

well my brain is broke, so

http://deadspin.com/new-warriors-arena-will-require-psls-for-season-tickets-1797086546

i called this poo poo. the warriors owners are running the same exact scam the 49ers did. build the team up, pay for talent, then yank the rug out once your new stadium is paid for with PSL sales

the warriors will be good for 3 more years max

Oh no, only 2-3 more years of titles!

This is probably the start of an awful trend.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Spacebump posted:

Oh no, only 2-3 more years of titles!

This is probably the start of an awful trend.

No I said good. They're automatic title favorites for 1, maybe 2 years. After that, top 5.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Isn't the Warriors' stadium privately financed?

If it is then it's lovely but it's whatever so long as tax payer's aren't subsidizing it.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Rose on the Cavs sounds good. Also means every MVP from 2008-2016 will be on either the Warriors or Cavs :eyepop:

Maybe if the Cavs get a few more MVP players they might have a chance.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dexo posted:

Isn't the Warriors' stadium privately financed?

If it is then it's lovely but it's whatever so long as tax payer's aren't subsidizing it.

Yeah, though the city is paying for some of the infrastructure and transport (which I am 100% fine with, I think it's on the city to pay for roads and rails for people to get to places like stadiums). I think the article said that was like $50 million from the city for that.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Away all Goats posted:

Rose on the Cavs sounds good. Also means every MVP from 2008-2016 will be on either the Warriors or Cavs :eyepop:

2018 is the year of Korver. 450 3 pointers at 99% accuracy (even heros fall sometimes).

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
^^Korver would be shooting over 90% and still refuse to take more than 1 three a quarter.

Away all Goats posted:

(if Rose joins the Cavs)

Every active NBA MVP plays for the Warriors or Cavs, except for an almost retired Dirk and the newly minted Westbrook.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I wonder how the Oakland proud crew will handle the cognitive dissonance of their beloved team moving to a richer city and being run as a rich tech bro theme park.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

I'm pretty sure those folks have been displaced for the past 2 years. That or they go to Kings games when they play the Warriors. I mean they probably live in Sac and commute anyway

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/BPSS_UGod/status/888085445526953984

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

the cavs have 3 good to great ball dominant players, why is a bad one a good thing to have when they can just take kyrie off the court earlier for a pg with a 3pt shot and then let him be a gunner vs bench guys if they really want someone to do that?

the cavs bench has been good these past years cause they only add people who fit the team, i.e. they can shoot a 3 and play offball. derrick rose can do neither? i suppose he doesnt make them worse cause he won't actually get a single minute of non garbage playoff time but i do not get the idea that he fits a need.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

He is a sacrifice to the ACL gods. Preserving Lebron's health is the ultimate contribution.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Ghost Dog posted:

the cavs have 3 good to great ball dominant players, why is a bad one a good thing to have when they can just take kyrie off the court earlier for a pg with a 3pt shot and then let him be a gunner vs bench guys if they really want someone to do that?

the cavs bench has been good these past years cause they only add people who fit the team, i.e. they can shoot a 3 and play offball. derrick rose can do neither? i suppose he doesnt make them worse cause he won't actually get a single minute of non garbage playoff time but i do not get the idea that he fits a need.

Derrick Rose sucks!

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Lockback posted:

https://twitter.com/sportingnews/status/887436952051625985

Calling Darko Manna from Heaven is slightly less defensible, as KCP has a better WS record through his first 4 seasons, though on many more minutes played.

The media hype surrounding the Lakers and these young players is getting crazy. Reminds me of a political convention.

I could see D-Rose winning the 2018 D-Will/T-Mac embarrassing supporting role in the finals award.

:discourse:

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

EvanTH posted:

Olajuwon held up remarkably well playing 35+ minutes a night, he was early 30s during the championship years, only major injuries I can think of before his mid-to-late 30s (which seems like a normal time to rack up injuries) was Cartwright elbowing him in the eye
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIdHhzT_YRM
Stretchered off the court, so huge he had to be carried off by five guys, I'm assuming this is where they met and decided to open their franchise

and faking a hamstring injury for contract negotiation purposes

Now we see what would've happened in the 1994 Bulls vs. Rockets finals.

Tae posted:

What's the correlation with reducing usage and turnovers, because it seems like being the #2 guy would reduce that.

Of players with 1,500+ MP last season the correlation between TOV% and USG% was -.01 No correlation at all.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The only way I can explain it is that Johnson was an ESPN employee so they're going to really push his "success" hard. I wonder what happens if the Lakers are a 15 win team this year (a possibility) because some fans have already started to turn (D'Angelo was very popular), and more will if the team is worse than last year.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Ghost Dog posted:

I can actually imagine Rose being pretty great with Tristan Thompson (the Cavs second best player) following him during his layup dives at the rim. It was remarkable how much more helpful he was to the team when Noah was healthy and ready to tip in his slightly-off attempts. Thompson would get sooooo many putback dunks

Cool Buff Man posted:

Derrick Rose sucks!

also true

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I was just reminded that Jeff green is a cav jfc that bench is so rear end if they sign rose

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

https://twitter.com/lbourgie/status/887917073699155968

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Metapod posted:

I was just reminded that Jeff green is a cav jfc that bench is so rear end if they sign rose

They also have jose calderon!

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Lockback posted:

I posted this in the GM thread, but I am kinda confused as to the backlash against Paul George. I am not responding to anyone in particular in this thread, but for people who think PG is overrated:

PG had a 28+% usage on 58%+ TS% while playing solid defense. He shot almost 40% from 3pt on over 6 per game and shot almost 90% from the line. The Pacers won 42 games with him, and without him I would guess they would be under 30. Are people who don't like him just looking at Winshare or something? Because it's penalizing him for being on a bad defensive team but I don't think that's his fault. if he had an actual rim protector his WS/48 probably would have been approaching .200.

Some of it was backlash against the idea that adding PG13 to the Thunder puts them into serious title contention.

DeimosRising posted:

Butler is significantly better IMO. KAT remains a very bad defender, but I expect that to turn around.

KAT had excellent shooting numbers last season (and excellent the year prior for a rookie). If his scoring improves much more he'll be putting up some of the best shooting C seasons ever. Up there with Amar'e, Artis and Kareem. And he's only 22.

Rick posted:

The only way I can explain it is that Johnson was an ESPN employee so they're going to really push his "success" hard. I wonder what happens if the Lakers are a 15 win team this year (a possibility) because some fans have already started to turn (D'Angelo was very popular), and more will if the team is worse than last year.

I predict discontent will grow. Especially now that ESPN is priming Ball to be some dynamo rookie.

Kevin Love is a liar. James Johnson 0 MP in 2011 finals.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

:lol:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

ESPN is hyping the Lakers because the Lakers make a lot of money

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Chelsea Manning's twitter is the only good and pure thing left in this world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles