Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I should not find this fact nearly as interesting as I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Nintendo Switch Parental Control App (which I really should add to the op this weekend) has updated.

Nintendo posted:

1. View more play details
Play time and played software can now be viewed separately for each Nintendo Switch user. Plus, receive notifications when new software is downloaded.

2. See monthly summary info
Number of days and time played can be viewed per user. Share summaries with the share button.

3. Disable alarms
This feature turns off play-time alarms for days you want to let your child play longer.

◆ These features require Nintendo Switch system version 3.0.0 or later.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 20, 2017

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I don't think Rare games are off the table. If Nintendo can work with Square and Konami for third party games on the other ones they can work with Microsoft.

Microsoft definitely won't let that fly. Have we even got any Rare titles (that aren't DK games) on any VC storefront?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Microsoft put out a Diddy Kong Racing game and a Viva Pinata game on the DS. It's highly unlikely but not impossible. Don't ever expect Goldeneye though.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Bowser, good dad? That's not what I remember from Sunshine

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

s.i.r.e. posted:

Microsoft definitely won't let that fly. Have we even got any Rare titles (that aren't DK games) on any VC storefront?

Microsoft and Nintendo are more friendly than in the past and Nintendo has done some unprecedented things in these mini console releases. I believe. Microsoft even included the Nintendo Switch in their E3 presentation. They aren't going to develop sure being Minecraft for Nintendo systems but I absolutely think they would take some royalties and free promotion of their brands and free good press for zero work.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nintendo Switch Thread: High Rez Toadmouths

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Microsoft and Nintendo are more friendly than in the past and Nintendo has done some unprecedented things in these mini console releases. I believe. Microsoft even included the Nintendo Switch in their E3 presentation. They aren't going to develop sure being Minecraft for Nintendo systems but I absolutely think they would take some royalties and free promotion of their brands and free good press for zero work.

Microsoft's a strange case, but when it comes to Minecraft they don't give a gently caress and will put it on anything because it constantly makes money. They've started to bring their other IPs to PC but except their biggest with all major Halo releases are surprisingly missing. Who knows though, if an N64 mini had the Rare classics then it'd be pretty amazing.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I'm curious to see what an N64 classic does with the analog sticks. They could fix them, but is an N64 without lovely analog sticks that have huge dead zones an N64...?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

tbf to this guy, a lot of poorer people just use apps for texting on phones since you can get a cheapo one for like, 30 bucks without an actual plan

to be unfair to this guy, he definitely has never had to do that

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

acksplode posted:

I'm curious to see what an N64 classic does with the analog sticks. They could fix them, but is an N64 without lovely analog sticks that have huge dead zones an N64...?

If they can fix the sticks and keep the same "feel" to them, then it could work but if they feel off the 10 year old in my heart would know and be sad.

sigher fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 20, 2017

Wendell
May 11, 2003

mandatory lesbian posted:

tbf to this guy, a lot of poorer people just use apps for texting on phones since you can get a cheapo one for like, 30 bucks without an actual plan

to be unfair to this guy, he definitely has never had to do that

I don't get it. I thought everyone agreed with that guy's sentiment, why was that image even posted?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Wendell posted:

I don't get it. I thought everyone agreed with that guy's sentiment, why was that image even posted?

i thought we were making fun of "using a phone for voice" which is ya know, what phones were originally for

what he meant was "using the app for voice is bad"

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Also it's a dumb place to lodge that complaint. You're using what's ultimately an issue with the console to justify your lovely review of the companion app.

If the app itself doesn't work as advertised, that's another story.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

The whole idea for that setup is fascinating though. Like, someone came up with that hilariously convoluted setup for online chat and matchmaking, and several other people looked at it and saw nothing wrong with it.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Even without Rare, 20 games is doable.

Mario 64
Mario Golf
Mario Tennis
Mario Party 2
Mario Kart 64
Paper Mario
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
Star Fox 64
Pilotwings 64
Castlevania(the second edition one I forget the subtitle, legacy of shadow or something)
Super Smash Brothers
Yoshi's Story(not great but they're probably putting it in)
Sin and Punishment
Kirby 64 The Crystal Shards
Mischeif Makers
Waverace
1080 Snowboarding or Snowboard Kids
Bomberman 64
Goemon
Ogre Battle 64
Mega Man Legends(known as 64 in the port)
Bangai-o
F-Zero X
Donkey Kong 64
Pokemon Snap

These are all games without licensing issues from companies friendly towards Nintendo.

That's a pretty good list.

There have essentially been 25 N64 games released on the Virtual Console across the Wii and Wii U. These are games that they have clearance to release and have worked out the emulation on:

Bolded some missing from your list:

1080° Snowboarding
Bomberman 64
Bomberman Hero
Cruis'n USA
Donkey Kong 64
Excitebike 64
F-Zero X
Harvest Moon 64
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
Mario Golf
Mario Kart 64
Mario Party 2
Mario Tennis
Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber
Paper Mario
Pokémon Puzzle League
Pokémon Snap
Sin and Punishment
Star Fox 64
Super Mario 64
Super Smash Bros.
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Wave Race 64
Yoshi's Story

Then there are those few rare notable games from Capcom and Konami that you threw in there since they have games on the SNES and NES classic, plus Pilotwings 64 which has lacked a VC release for some reason.

I wonder if Midway would jump on board though for at least Mortal Kombat Trilogy. They made Cruis'n World, Quake 64, Doom 64, and then some licensed sports titles. I am also not clamoring to play any of those either though...

I'd easily pay $200+ from a scalper to get a N64 classic if they found a way to bring those THQ WCW and WWF games to it.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
It'd be really nice if the potential N64 classic had NFL Blitz and Gretzky but that'd never happen.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't think they'll want to include any games rated M. WCW or WWF would be so awesome, but unfortunately probably impossible. However the Japanese version could get Fire Pro.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

raditts posted:

The whole idea for that setup is fascinating though. Like, someone came up with that hilariously convoluted setup for online chat and matchmaking, and several other people looked at it and saw nothing wrong with it.

maybe they took inspiration from the millions of people who use discord on their phones and have no trouble

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's just not convoluted at all. It's bad, but not convoluted. You open the app, tap the online users you want, and press invite. It's a lot of bad things, but it is not there least bit complex.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Does it list rooms from friends hosting games if you weren't invited?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

deadly_pudding posted:

Also it's a dumb place to lodge that complaint. You're using what's ultimately an issue with the console to justify your lovely review of the companion app.

This punch-me-in-the-dick app works exactly as advertised. 5 stars

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Gimmie them Double D's. Those Disk Drive games.

Like the Mario Artist games where you could learn about texture mapping first hand.

Or Doshin the Giant.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

deadly_pudding posted:

Nah, that's nonsense.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Al Borland Corp. posted:

It's just not convoluted at all. It's bad, but not convoluted. You open the app, tap the online users you want, and press invite. It's a lot of bad things, but it is not there least bit complex.

Also, they almost certainly see it as "here's an extra thing you can have for free, yay!" Like the first time a car manufacturer put in a cup holder or something and they weren't expecting people to be all But I need seven cup holders and this one is too small and also gently caress you suck my dick

Spellman
May 31, 2011

At least until we start paying for it in 2018

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

goldeneye wasnt even that good

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Spellman posted:

At least until we start paying for it in 2018

The app still feels like extra features when the main thing we're paying for is servers for online gameplay

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

If they can tweak the app to be better (sleep mode still lets it function, ability to go to other apps) it won't be that big a deal. Hell I've sent in suggestions to them via feedback in the app about things I'd like to see in the app such as timelines of friends completing MyNintendo reward quests in certain games or large Splatoon victories to the ability to use an in app calendar to schedule a date and time to play for you and your friends that uses push notifications to remind you of upcoming events your scheduled for. poo poo like that would make the app feel more feature complete and more a online service then a VoIP replacement

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

This is very much in beta. They aren't even thinking about charging for it till like mid 2018.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

So we're not getting Virtual Console until mid-2018, got it

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Dr. VooDoo posted:

If they can tweak the app to be better (sleep mode still lets it function, ability to go to other apps) it won't be that big a deal. Hell I've sent in suggestions to them via feedback in the app about things I'd like to see in the app such as timelines of friends completing MyNintendo reward quests in certain games or large Splatoon victories to the ability to use an in app calendar to schedule a date and time to play for you and your friends that uses push notifications to remind you of upcoming events your scheduled for. poo poo like that would make the app feel more feature complete and more a online service then a VoIP replacement

Functioning in sleep mode will never happen, unless they work out a deal directly with apple. iOS is really strict about what it allows to run in the background or with the screen off, and in both of those cases the answer is "media playback" for pretty much all cases.

Maybe on Android.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So we're not getting Virtual Console until mid-2018, got it

No, I'd washer longer than that even. We'll get the NESflix at the launch of Nintendo online, but no other consoles will be supported for some time. And NES games will not be individually purchasable for some time as well.

These are just predictions of course. I don't have an uncle who works there. He was fired because his negligence caused the death of a construction worker.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

deadly_pudding posted:

Functioning in sleep mode will never happen, unless they work out a deal directly with apple. iOS is really strict about what it allows to run in the background or with the screen off, and in both of those cases the answer is "media playback" for pretty much all cases.

Maybe on Android.
This hasn't been true for like 5 years.

https://developer.apple.com/library...dExecution.html

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Al Borland Corp. posted:

No, I'd washer longer than that even. We'll get the NESflix at the launch of Nintendo online, but no other consoles will be supported for some time. And NES games will not be individually purchasable for some time as well.

These are just predictions of course. I don't have an uncle who works there. He was fired because his negligence caused the death of a construction worker.

That's the thing I hate. It will take them so long to rebuild the library of VC games on the switch that by the time there is a decent amount of them I want they will surely be close to the Switch 2, which will also not carry over any VC titles either. At that point, I don't want to buy games for a console I don't use anymore.

Kind of how I am not even bothering to follow the VC released on the Wii U anymore.

Nintendo is run by idiots. Do they not realize how many VC games I bought when I got my Wii just because I wanted something to play?

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Astro7x posted:

Do they not realize how many VC games I bought when I got my Wii just because I wanted something to play?

They don't care. They have reliable customers who will buy the next mini console and pay for VC games they already own on other systems. They don't even have to come up with excuses for it because some of those customers justify it to themselves and to others without hesitation.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

OK, got to work and Splatoon2 purchased and downloading.

5 hours 12 minutes estimated.

Hmm

Probably should have brought a charger.

Wonder how long this will take in sleep mode...

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

iajanus posted:

OK, got to work and Splatoon2 purchased and downloading.

5 hours 12 minutes estimated.

Hmm

Probably should have brought a charger.

Wonder how long this will take in sleep mode...

I take it you're AU or something? :)

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Feenix posted:

I take it you're AU or something? :)

Bingo.

20% downloaded and still got 86% battery left. Come on you magic Switch, iajanus wants to be splatooning at lunchtime!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

iajanus posted:

Bingo.

20% downloaded and still got 86% battery left. Come on you magic Switch, iajanus wants to be splatooning at lunchtime!

100% at 1%. Calling it now. Bittersweet symphony.

• Locked thread