Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
God drat it I wish I had somewhere to play Modern. We get at best four people and it only happens on the second-to-last Friday of the month and my FLGS does the shittiest advertising to get any word out about it. What's hilarious is that some of those Standard-only people put a shitload of money into getting in as many MM3 drafts as they could last spring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Cactrot posted:

I'll be happy to shepherd goons around town after we all scrub out. I know some good spots.

If you're talking about Seattle I'm down on the condition that we get drunk and eat a bag of Dicks.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Lots of seattle people here. Are these worth going to if you are not in the main events? Are there more casual drafts to sign up for?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Mezzanon posted:

If you're talking about Seattle I'm down on the condition that we get drunk and eat a bag of Dicks.

One does not vist Seattle without shoving a bag of Dicks in one's mouth.

Tainen posted:

Lots of seattle people here. Are these worth going to if you are not in the main events? Are there more casual drafts to sign up for?

Definitely, there are tons of side events to play in and artists to get things signed by even if you're not in the main event.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I will probably show up with my badass multicolor Cube.

I'm also brainstorming a Time Spiral set Cube.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Elyv posted:

E: I still don't understand why NA gets 31, EU gets 16, APAC gets 10, SA gets 3, and the rest of the world gets 0, but that's normal at this point

I bet the US accounts for way more than half the revenue for this game? :shrug:

Bugsy posted:

No GP in Chicago since 2014. :(

Only the third largest metro. no big deal.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Cactrot posted:

One does not vist Seattle without shoving a bag of Dicks in one's mouth.

Definitely, there are tons of side events to play in and artists to get things signed by even if you're not in the main event.

8oz burger bar is pretty good too though, whiskey milkshake etc. Couple decent bars down there as well if you don't mind being hipster scum. Haven't been in a couple years though, we could always poo poo on Dave Matthews front lawn or send Wizards a pizza with "Bring back GP Vancouver" on it.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
I love that schedule, will definitely make Seattle and Santa Clara (any Standard & Modern players want to team up?)

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

SoftNum posted:

I bet the US accounts for way more than half the revenue for this game? :shrug:

We've talked about this before, but I honestly find that unlikely.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

I love that schedule, will definitely make Seattle and Santa Clara (any Standard & Modern players want to team up?)

Man living in Alberta means I'm far enough away from everything to be inconvenient. On the upside I'm a debt-free adult so I can afford to travel for this dumb game.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

Elyv posted:

E: I still don't understand why NA gets 31, EU gets 16, APAC gets 10, SA gets 3, and the rest of the world gets 0, but that's normal at this point

Also keep in mind that European events basically go only as far east as the Chezch Republic or Poland...which are in Central Europe. Everything east of that? We might as well not exist, for all the likelyhood there's ever going to be a GP here.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Mezzanon posted:

8oz burger bar is pretty good too though, whiskey milkshake etc. Couple decent bars down there as well if you don't mind being hipster scum. Haven't been in a couple years though, we could always poo poo on Dave Matthews front lawn or send Wizards a pizza with "Bring back GP Vancouver" on it.

If you spell it out in pepperoni they are legally obligated to obey your request due to some very fine print in the reserve list.

Did anything really happen with Efro and the alleged fake p9?

PleasantDirge fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jul 20, 2017

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I would imagine that european players are significantly less willing to travel to events. The distances may be shorter than in the US, but people tend not to leave their own country to play wizard poker.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

mossyfisk posted:

I would imagine that european players are significantly less willing to travel to events. The distances may be shorter than in the US, but people tend not to leave their own country to play wizard poker.

From what I hear stuff like the price of gas is significantly cheaper in the US than it is in most EU countries too.Travelling here can be rather expensive, and people in general are not used to travelling that far in general.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

SoftNum posted:

Only the third largest metro. no big deal.

maybe thats why they avoid it (for god knows what reason), they don't do any in actual NYC or DC right?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
It's cost.

It probably costs a shitload more money to host a big Magic tournament in a convention center in the city proper rather than finding one in the greater metro area that's cheaper.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Upon until a couple years ago all the "GP Toronto"s were held in the suburbs of Mississauga.

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program

Star Man posted:

It's cost.

It probably costs a shitload more money to host a big Magic tournament in a convention center in the city proper rather than finding one in the greater metro area that's cheaper.

Chicago has that though (Rosemont). Unless that too is higher cost than other metro-ringing convention areas for some inscrutable reason

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:
So because of the shitlord owner of Bobs goddamn baseball dugout, I no longer really have a modern or legacy format in the area I live in, so I think I am going to sell off some modern and legacy cards.

Before I decide which ones, which do people think is better in the long term, Jund or Abzan. I have the cards for both and I think I only want to hang on to one of the two.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I checked again and there's one in DC like right there on the page, I'm blind

JohnnyHardcore
Jan 15, 2008
Is there any value at all in attending a Pro Tour that I'm not qualified for? PT Ixalan is in Albuquerque and that's a pretty short drive for me, I was considering going if there's going to be cool side events and stuff like they do at GPs.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

JohnnyHardcore posted:

Is there any value at all in attending a Pro Tour that I'm not qualified for? PT Ixalan is in Albuquerque and that's a pretty short drive for me, I was considering going if there's going to be cool side events and stuff like they do at GPs.

I don't think they do side events at Pro Tours anymore. I seem to remember that announcement being made in 2009 or 2010.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

mandatory lesbian posted:

I checked again and there's one in DC like right there on the page, I'm blind

Yeah and the standard one is in like a month or whatever. I haven't played Magic in months but I guess I can scrounge the $50 mono red deck to play in the GP since the Dulles Expo Center is closer to my house than any LGS I could attend FNM at

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Star Man posted:

I don't think they do side events at Pro Tours anymore. I seem to remember that announcement being made in 2009 or 2010.

I think this is correct. I did side events at the Worlds in SF and they were pretty fun, though

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Bugsy posted:

No GP in Chicago since 2014. :(

Well thats only the first six months... :(

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I live in the US and it's amazing if there's even a Grand Prix in my timezone. And they just love hosting Grand Prix in Denver in winter.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Gonna keep thinking about this burn sideboard until Sunday. With 4 Destructive Revelry, is 2x Stony Silence over-preparing for affinity? I feel like those 2 slots could be something that makes other matchups better. Something like 2x Searing Blood for small creature matchups (of which Affinity is one, of course).

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 20, 2017

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

ShaneB posted:

Gonna keep thinking about this burn sideboard until Sunday. With 4 Destructive Revelry, is 2x Stony Silence over-preparing for affinity? I feel like those 2 slots could be something that makes other matchups better. Something like 2x Searing Blood for small creature matchups.

I think so. You can race affinity, have spot removal for dudes with platings, and could actually use searing blood against affinity as well as company. You should have 2-3 paths in there if you don't already for spot removal though.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Goddamn, Modern is the only format I play and I could attend GP Hartford while sleeping in my own bed. I guess I'm finally going to one of these big dumb tournaments.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Eh, I imagine all the gp's anywhere near the east coast are going to be 150$ by 2018 anyway.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

JohnnyHardcore posted:

What everyone else said. There aren't any side events anymore, but there are usually a few vendors there where you can get some swag or cards if you're looking for another market outside your LGS. I stopped by PT Fate Reforged since it was close by just to check it out and was able to get the playmat which is still my favorite one.

It's the promo Ugin art and looks like he's nuking exiling D.C. :getin:

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Agentdark posted:

So because of the shitlord owner of Bobs goddamn baseball dugout, I no longer really have a modern or legacy format in the area I live in, so I think I am going to sell off some modern and legacy cards.

Before I decide which ones, which do people think is better in the long term, Jund or Abzan. I have the cards for both and I think I only want to hang on to one of the two.

If/when you decide to sell, don't forget there's a trading megathread in SA mart and there's always a market for eternal-playable singles.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

One more in an never ending spew from people who shape WOTC as a company.

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/163220178518/youve-explained-to-us-that-the-data-shows-that

If only WOTC had professional community management and/or PR department.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
Ok so the purpose of the change really is to lower attendance at FNM, at least they're coming out and saying it

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Gustav posted:

Ok so the purpose of the change really is to lower attendance at FNM, at least they're coming out and saying it

It's to lower a certain type of attendance because WotC believe (and claim to have data showing) that these players drive other people away.

Then there's a judgement (presumably based on sales data) of "do we want the people who come for fun or the people who come for prizes".

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Sickening posted:

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/163220178518/youve-explained-to-us-that-the-data-shows-that

She quit, remember.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Star Man posted:

She quit, remember.

Helen was okay but her job was basically to clean up the poo poo that came out of maro and the company's rear end.

Trick Jarrett being employed with the title "community manager" is loving baffling.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Sickening posted:

I'm confused with what your problem with his answer is. Is it that it is too blunt and to the point and you would feel better if a media trained pr person said the same thing but maybe said it a bit softer?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Tainen posted:

I'm confused with what your problem with his answer is. Is it that it is too blunt and to the point and you would fee better if a media trained pr person said the same thing but maybe said it a bit softer?

Its the kind of answer, even while honest, probably shouldn't be said at all. Its bad for two reasons. First, it shows that you and your company have bad critical thinking skills. Second, its pissing off your "enfranchised" players that they are being actively dissuaded from fnm.

Basically, you should probably keep your lovely business planning a secret if its so poo poo.

https://twitter.com/mtgaaron/status/887862643645480960

Hey! Aaron didn't say something stupid! Borderline competent tweet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Sickening posted:

https://twitter.com/mtgaaron/status/887862643645480960

Hey! Aaron didn't say something stupid! Borderline competent tweet!

I look forward to quoting this tweet when they promptly ban Death's Shadow next B&R announcement.