Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Agean90 posted:

as compared to the American system where the everyday poo poo is extremely expensive and the majority of the country can't afford the bleeding edge poo poo

There's definitely some situations where in America employer provided private insurance would cover a new treatment that passed regulatory approval but you wouldn't be able to get it in the NHS because it passed regulatory but not reimbursement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Truancy-Bot posted:

1996: if the glove does not fit, you must acquit
2017: if you jerked off in the hole, you must be paroled

Jerked off in your cell? Go forth and be well.

I did a thing
Mar 23, 2017

On the chest of a barmaid in Sale, were tattooed the prices of ale. And on her behind for the sake of the blind, was the same information in braille.

tell me this is a shop...

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
get juiced

Rushi
Jun 2, 2003

by Smythe
do u all work in coal mines or something i thought u just worked in post mines

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I love how that poster would look at home around 1997

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Agean90 posted:

as compared to the American system where the everyday poo poo is extremely expensive and the majority of the country can't afford the bleeding edge poo poo

$200 loving dollars to check my toe and say "yep, it's broke, take some advil"

That's with a fantastic insurance plan

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nichael posted:

name it in tribute to Donny, I don't loving care.

You joke but, the Democrats should file a medicare for all bill called the Donald Trump Make Health Care Great Again Plan.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Agean90 posted:

yeah that whole "look how awesome we are at X" is deflecting from the problems of access and cost. quality is fine the problem isn't that

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

pro Gangtag

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I did a thing posted:

sexpig by night posted:

it's not, friend

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

I did a thing posted:

it's not, friend

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Vladimir Putin posted:

Well I've heard one of the negatives is that health care is another government department budget. It's like NASA or something. If government budget is doing good then everything is OK. If not then budget cuts are going to happen and that money isn't going to be there.

I think one of the promises of Brexit was they were going to take some sort of payments to the EU and give it to the NHS which was being underfunded. Not that they actually did do that, but it shows that it is a problem that people are concerned about.

Health care budget cuts aren't generally the kind of thing which results in people dying, even at the NHS' "poorest" you could still regularly see a doctor, get life-saving treatment if you needed it, and so forth. Right now where I live in Canada has a bit of a doctor shortage, which means if you go to the ER and you're NOT immediately dying, you could be in for a substantial wait to see a doctor, but it also won't cost you anything so it's worth the hours' wait should the situation warrant it compared to be several hundred or even thousands out of pocket. My wife and I also had a baby, who needed surgery at birth, and a 5-day hospital stay. Our cost was $70, and only because we upgraded to a better hospital room.

The only "negative" to universal health care and it isn't really one, is that they generally forbid "shortcuts" for rich people, so if you need some "you're not dying now but your outlook is grim within several months", you can generally get this within a fairly short time frame in the U.S. if you cut them a 5- or 6-figure cheque, but in Canada you will have no choice but to wait for whenever they say they can do the surgery. This could be months down the track and you MAY die before that, although they certainly don't intentionally do this to save a few bucks, the pool of doctors who can do the required surgery are actively performing that exact surgery on others ahead of you in the waiting list, who don't have to pay a thing for it.

There are also no real avenues for paying big bucks for experimental treatments, your options are limited to procedures which stood the test of time, and alternative medicines can be frowned upon if they go beyond acupuncture and pharmacy "natural" products, and you pretty much have no non-medical excuses for not vaccinating your kids or doing similar harmful things like faith healing. So for example there's a big kerfuffle in the U.K. right now because a dying baby isn't being allowed to be released from the hospital (too sick and baby will suffer if "disconnected"), against the parents' wishes who crowdfunded six figures and are trying to get their child into the U.S. for highly experimental treatment (Trump got involved and may apparently have granted the family PR status, which is meant to force the hospital to release the child).

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Gringostar posted:

tax the rich

institute GMI

That's like half the equation and looks like it came out of anger rather than as a real solution to disappearing jobs. How is taxing he rich and GMI going to bring back jobs? It only provides a safety net backstop to make sure you don't die. What about some real prosperity?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Citizen Tayne posted:

$200 loving dollars to check my toe and say "yep, it's broke, take some advil"

That's with a fantastic insurance plan

if nothing else, obamacare 2.0 should eliminate deductibles

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Chokes McGee posted:

you know who else has forums cancer

bernie sanders' best friend john mccain

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
Im glad OJ is being released into a world where a black man who guns down rich white people can finally be celebrated as deserved.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Montasque posted:

From this chart it looks like the NHS is REALLY bad at lung cancer

I don't know any of the figures or anything, but keep in mind that preventative medicine also falls under the NHS' brief. They've been part of ongoing anti-smoking campaigns, some of which have been very successful, for as long as I can remember. Survival rates don't take decreased incidence due to prevention into account.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

forums prophet

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Vladimir Putin posted:

So your advice is to do what exactly about low skill jobs that are disappearing? Worker protection and unions aren't going to do poo poo because they have no leverage. What else is there to do?

Unions did plenty of poo poo when they weren't getting stomped in court, back when industrial automation was literally invented they were demanding things and getting them

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

the votes theyd lose tho

no one wants a clean repeal vote except him, they all need some amendment or another to make it less suicidal electorally

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Naerasa posted:

Im glad OJ is being released into a world where a black man who guns down rich white people can finally be celebrated as deserved.

Actually, he'd probably be a better candidate than anyone that the DNC can currently run

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
is there a cure for forums cancer

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVk_kd84y_E

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

radical meme posted:

You joke but, the Democrats should file a medicare for all bill called the Donald Trump Make Health Care Great Again Plan.

:agreed:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

deadgoon posted:

is there a cure for forums cancer

:killing:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Really though, what do you call those Maganomix posters?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Rushi posted:

do u all work in coal mines or something i thought u just worked in post mines

Nah I just hang out in the post mines. Totally not trying to organize a union nope.

Serf
May 5, 2011

the idea that healthcare should have a profit motive is loving evil

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

ppshh

no wait

the "kill everyone 💀💀💀💀" gif is p. pro

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
you dummies look at healthcare as if the current people in power give a poo poo about you actually having decent access lmao

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

oj gonna leave prison and find out trump is prez

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Jive posted:

Unions did plenty of poo poo when they weren't getting stomped in court, back when industrial automation was literally invented they were demanding things and getting them

Unions can't do poo poo. Where's the leverage for negotiation when management can just shut down the factory and move it oversees?

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

I did a thing posted:

no that's what sarah huckabee sanders actually looks like

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Serf posted:

the idea that healthcare should have a profit motive is loving evil

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

da juice will soon be on the loose...

commence old white conservative moral panic!

2k17, god bless

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

mdemone posted:

what I want to know is how in the year 2017 we suddenly seem to be unable to make a fighter plane that stays in the air and does not destroy itself.

clearly I don't know the details of this particular model, what are the reasons that it fails so commonly?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXQ2lO3ieBA

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Nichael posted:

and if you're just judging by how much numerical support single payer has, it seems to be getting majority support now:

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/06/23/public-support-for-single-payer-health-coverage-grows-driven-by-democrats/

I don't see any good reason why Democrats shouldn't include it as a primary part of their platform.

love 2 live in country where the only thing keeping Democrats from supporting single payer is massive payoffs from a predatory insurance cabal that wrings profits from denying healthcare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

triple sulk posted:

oj gonna leave prison and find out trump is prez

eight years later:

triple sulk posted:

trump gonna leave prison and find out oj is prez

• Locked thread