Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

That's fair.

I'm willing to bet the MLP game isn't great, and the Pokemon game would be better but.... *glances to line of Amibos and Overwatch Gatchapon characters on desk*...
I get you, my dude.

Most TCGs have active enough communities that you can probably find an online rulebook of it and see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

FordCQC posted:

When it comes to kids her age, you can't just buy Pokemon cards and call it a day. She'll also want toys and videos and so on. We've already got a slew of MLP stuff, plus I know she likes it and knows the characters. The familiarity of it all means it's more likely she'll be invested in it as well. Pokemon might also appeal to her, but like I said, I'm more likely to shell out for even more stuff.

Listen, my dad didn't even get me a nintendo when I was a kid, he got me a used sega master system. You don't have to give kids any of the poo poo they want. They'll be fine, and only hold a grudge until they're 30 and posting on trad games forums.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Alternatively, play the long game and don't expose your poor innocent child to the predatory capitalist trap that is TCGs. It'll take decades to pay off, but they will eventually thank you. :v:

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Alternatively, play the long game and don't expose your poor innocent child to the predatory capitalist trap that is TCGs. It'll take decades to pay off, but they will eventually thank you. :v:

Well, it's not like I have to take her to the store to buy decks or otherwise let her know there's more out there besides whatever passes for a duel deck in whatever game I settle on.

I mean, if there any LCGs that were complexity-appropriate for a 6 year old, that would be my first choice for sure.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect

Lurdiak posted:

Listen, my dad didn't even get me a nintendo when I was a kid, he got me a used sega master system. You don't have to give kids any of the poo poo they want. They'll be fine, and only hold a grudge until they're 30 and posting on trad games forums.

Hey, I asked for an SMS myself. I loved that thing.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

My LGS gets young kids in all the time with their parents for Pokemon cards, but the place is run professionally and makes an effort to be family-friendly.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

My LGS gets young kids in all the time with their parents for Pokemon cards, but the place is run professionally and makes an effort to be family-friendly.

All joking aside, this is really wonderful. Not only for the opportunity for kids to participate in their parents' hobbies (or parents to participate in their kids' hobbies) but because establishing good etiquette for gaming environments at a young age will hopefully filter up into the hobby at large.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

The MLP TCG is not made for kids, really. I mean, kids can play it but the rules are complicated and dumb.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
I feel like most TCGs really aren't. At least not kids that young. If you're not reading yet, you're probably not going to be able to work out the rules enough to build a deck correctly.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

All joking aside, this is really wonderful. Not only for the opportunity for kids to participate in their parents' hobbies (or parents to participate in their kids' hobbies) but because establishing good etiquette for gaming environments at a young age will hopefully filter up into the hobby at large.

I think the reason this game store is so good is because it's technically part of a local chain that deals with comics, retrogaming, collectables, etc. It's a long-running business, it's just that this store is the first to focus on RPGs, board games, and CCGs and provides space to play them.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Zurui posted:

The MLP TCG is not made for kids, really. I mean, kids can play it but the rules are complicated and dumb.

But, if kids can't play an MLP TCG, who would bu...oh, right, *bronies.* Ugh.

Have bronies gotten any "better" since they were the obnoxious scourge-fad of the net a few years back?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I don't think anyone gives a poo poo about MLP anymore

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Help! I Can’t Get Past the Part in Dark Souls 3 Where My Wife Threatens to Take the Kids and Go!

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Evil Mastermind posted:

My game store tries to be super family friendly too and they're also active in the community. They do free food for poor kids and other charity stuff there. Its too bad their prices are marked up so much or I'd shop there all the time.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

How bad is the Dr Who rpg? It's in a humble bundle and it's almost tempting to grab

Covok
May 27, 2013

Len posted:

How bad is the Dr Who rpg? It's in a humble bundle and it's almost tempting to grab

It's alright. Same system as Rocket Age. It's a d6, point-buy, adv/dis system that goes for the "KISS" rules of TV show adaptions. You know, make it simple so newbie fans will pick it up. The game functions just fine. The rules for how handle the Doctor are the best they can be: it suggests either rotating the role, making it nothing but Doctor-lie episodes, or just going whole hog on one-player-to-the-Doctor switching only for Regenerations.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
If you check the TG Steals and Deals thread, there's some discussion on it there. Opinions are somewhat mixed, though people are saying it's worthwhile as a guide to the show and the universe, if nothing else.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I would love to see tactical rpgs start copying Gloomhaven when it comes to making combat fun and interesting. It's really hard for me to come back to 4e's needless complexity after trying it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Azran posted:

I would love to see tactical rpgs start copying Gloomhaven when it comes to making combat fun and interesting. It's really hard for me to come back to 4e's needless complexity after trying it.

I wouldn't exactly say that Gloomhaven is vastly less complex than 4E, it actually has a number of levers and moving parts that 4E doesn't like character specific modifier decks which can be changed through XP expenditures, the various permutations and interactions of each characters' action decks and the multiple axes those encompass (movement, attacks, initiative), the elemental infusion grid, etc. What Gloomhaven lacks are A). feats and B). stacking +X modifiers which is to its benefit.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Azran posted:

I've honestly considered how you'd make a Gloomhaven style RPG. I've wanted to do something card driven since I started playing 3rd.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

FordCQC posted:

So my daughter's starting kindergarten next month and she's just on the cusp of being able to read on her own. I'd like to do something with her to encourage that which I would also enjoy. I have a lot of experience with Magic but the aesthetic doesn't appeal to her and the design is a little too complex just yet anyway.

Does anyone have experience with the My Little Pony game? Is it any more kid-friendly in a gameplay sense? I know there's also the Pokemon TCG but I'd rather not get her into that if I can avoid it. Are there any other good kid-focused TCGs that you know of?

I'll be surprised if you can find a collectible card game a 4-5 year old could process easily. At that age, it's probably best to just encourage them to play simple board games or a card game like Uno or even some other group activity at a table like puzzles. In another couple of years you might be able to work up to simplified Magic rules or suck it up and get her Pokemon cards since she'll become obsessed with something else eventually anyway.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Kai Tave posted:

I wouldn't exactly say that Gloomhaven is vastly less complex than 4E, it actually has a number of levers and moving parts that 4E doesn't like character specific modifier decks which can be changed through XP expenditures, the various permutations and interactions of each characters' action decks and the multiple axes those encompass (movement, attacks, initiative), the elemental infusion grid, etc. What Gloomhaven lacks are A). feats and B). stacking +X modifiers which is to its benefit.

Yup. Just the absence of +X modifiers is such a huge improvement. I mean, sure, there are a few abilities that give you bonuses, but they are very limited in number and feel better and more prominent that way.

I think I wouldn't mind if eventual copycats would leave stuff like individual modifier decks out. I was mostly thinking of the action card system and flexible initiative for every character no matter their class. I like that basic, boring actions are there only as a failsafe.

Covok
May 27, 2013

X-post from pick-up games thread:

Teenagers From Outerspace tomorrow (7/20) at 8:30 PM EST? Silly 80s anime rom-com comedy in tabletop RPG form. Ursei Yatsura, Ranma 1/2, whatever. 2-3hrs Thursday at 8:30 PM EST on SA TG Discord: https://discord.gg/XZATMEb

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Gloomhaven is absolutely an excellent game that I will one day play in depth, but people in general seem real resistant to the idea of RPGs that rely on cards in some fashion.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Y'know, it's been a long while, but I remember the Kickstarter thread going wild for Matching Lions. Made by a mom and her little daughter. Should be simple enough for your kiddo.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Nuns with Guns posted:

At that age, it's probably best to just encourage them to play simple board games or a card game like Uno or even some other group activity at a table like puzzles.
If you want the fast track to pride/inferiority, start doing Go puzzles together.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Kai Tave posted:

Gloomhaven is absolutely an excellent game that I will one day play in depth, but people in general seem real resistant to the idea of RPGs that rely on cards in some fashion.

They're not cards, they're powers

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Kai Tave posted:

Well see it's wrong for gloomhaven and 4e and star wars to do it because they're not real RPGs, but pathfinder, you see....

But yeah even just reference cards, give me that any day over looking up stupid poo poo from the rulebook yet again.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

slap me and kiss me posted:

They're not cards, they're powers

I've never played Gloomhaven; do you draw them from a deck and only have a random selection of them available at any time? Or are they just convenient physical reminders of how your abilities work?

Even if the latter case I'd want that stuff in the book too, because poo poo gets lost. But there's nothing wrong with having the option.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I've never played Gloomhaven; do you draw them from a deck and only have a random selection of them available at any time? Or are they just convenient physical reminders of how your abilities work?

Even if the latter case I'd want that stuff in the book too, because poo poo gets lost. But there's nothing wrong with having the option.

I'm just being facetious. From what I understand, you pull them from a deck.

I don't think that power v. card is a terribly meaningful distinction for rpg purposes though.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
You have a deck, but it's not really a conventional card deck - you hold your entire "deck" (between 8-13 cards) in your hand at once and can choose anything, you never draw ability cards at random. Each card has a bottom and top half, with the bottom generally being some sort of movement tool (move 5, teleport 3, leap 4 and deal aoe damage at point of impact, etc) and the top a 4e-style attack action. Your deck is predetermined based on your class but you can modify it as you level up.

Each round everyone chooses two cards and plays then face down, then reveals them, choosing to do the bottom half of one and the top half of the other. You also reveal a card from each monster's mini deck to determine their action. Once all actions are resolved the chosen cards are discarded. If you want those back you can either pick up your discard pile at the the end of your turn but you have to permanently (for that dungeon, not forever) remove one card from it at random first, or spend a full turn resting which lets you heal a bit and choose which card to remove rather than being random.

There's a lot of details in glossing over but Gloomhaven has great combat and the game's creator has mentioned specific 4e inspiration for it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I like 4E combat but losing tactical options at random sounds awful, and that seems to be what card-based system generally represent.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I like 4E combat but losing tactical options at random sounds awful, and that seems to be what card-based system generally represent.
I think there's an argument to be made for it. Circumstances aren't always right for a particular action. Making the best of the hand you're dealt is one of the primary puzzles of games like Mage Knight or Dominion.

You'd probably want access to more total options than 4e gives you, but you could likely get by with fewer at any one time.

The main thing you want to watch out for is to make sure you draw your cards at the end of your turn so you can spend a whole round planning. Most card games get that right these days though.

It also adds a ton of extra design space. Maybe your tricky rogue has a larger hand size, or cards that are reversible and you choose the effect. Making players/monsters draw or discard would somewhat go against the earlier principle, but would be something to consider.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I guess, but you have SO many options in Gloomhaven (again, ~11 card hand where each card does two things plus two generic options) that it doesn't really feel like that, especially since it's entirely your decision as a player to take a "Short Rest" - losing a card you spent at random - versus a "Long Rest" and getting to pick which it is.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yup, that's...that's a character sheet alright.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
I'm the emo-looking Xas Rkalla in the top right.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I wrote that logo in my high school notebook maybe I should sue

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yup, that's...that's a character sheet alright.
For a Battlemech I hope.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Which is more important fashion sense or technology level?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
fashion sense: caveman
technology level: spaceman

• Locked thread