Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

twistedmentat posted:

Mission Hill was treated worse than Firefly.

Yea, Fillion is great for Hal's voice in the DCAU movies. And holy poo poo EMH was great. Jennifer Hale playing Captain Marvel using the FemShep voice is the best thing ever. If i had one complaint its that they used the Serpent society as the jobbers too much. It's like how the Royal Flush gang was used in the DCAU.

I've noticed Browncoats tend to think that Firefly was especially smart and clever, when all they did was raid old western props and vaguely be all about how the MAN is getting in your face and telling you what to do. Nothing particularly smart or inventive. Oh and how they go on about no sound in space, yes nerds a mainstream sci-fi thing finally did it, do you want a prize or something?

And the thing where the browncoats in the show were an allegory for the American Confederacy and we were supposed to feel bad they lost. Also the Fox executives were absolutely right to start with the third or fourth episode instead of the 2 hour pilot, because that's easily the worst 2 episodes of the entire show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Firefly's biggest sin was probably at how anime it was tbh.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Lurdiak posted:

There's way better shows to mourn the cancellation of. Like Batman: The Brave and The Bold. And Spectacular Spider-man. And Mighty Avengers. And Brimstone.

I actually thought BBATB ended at pretty much the exactly time it should have.

Spectacular Spider-man yeah that poo poo's unfair.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

They made people care about The Wasp. Like, the original one.

Impossible, nothing could do this.

Firefly isn't bad in any real way, but it's fanbase is the absolute worst of any fandom.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

https://news.marvel.com/tv/68349/lucy-liu-set-direct-season-2-premiere-marvels-luke-cage/

Lucy Liu gonna direct the S2 premiere of Luke Cage.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Good to see more black voices being heard.

mycot posted:

I actually thought BBATB ended at pretty much the exactly time it should have.

The people working on the show disagree so much they made an entire episode about it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Skwirl posted:

And the thing where the browncoats in the show were an allegory for the American Confederacy and we were supposed to feel bad they lost. Also the Fox executives were absolutely right to start with the third or fourth episode instead of the 2 hour pilot, because that's easily the worst 2 episodes of the entire show.

Yea, they were the CSA without the racism. And the Union Analog was evil because, reasons? The two best episodes are the ones with Christina Hendricks.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Firefly isn't bad in any real way, but it's fanbase is the absolute worst of any fandom.

No, Deadpool fans are worse.

I'd also say that couples that cosplay as Joker and Harley are worse, too.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhyno posted:

You're in the comic book forum and you've read the Marvel thread.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I've never seen any of those other fans throw a loving punch over someone saying "I don't really like Firefly."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't really know any big Firefly fans other than one guy in work who's maybe 10 years older than I, but we never really chat about it. However, even as much as I enjoy Buffy and Angel myself, I find Joss Whedon fans in general to have a high incidence of insufferableness (maybe a couple of years ago, I saw a video of Whedon doing a Q&A at a convention shortly after Avengers came out, and came to the conclusion that he and his terrible fans deserve one another) and I suppose Firefly fandom tends to fall within that.

As far as worst fandoms go, I try to separate out "fans who are bad people" and "people who are bad fans". Not a terribly narrow dividing line, I admit.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Supernatural has some loving creepy fans.

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, they were the CSA without the racism. And the Union Analog was evil because, reasons?
Plucky Rebels vs Evil Empire is a pretty common setup for a story.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

I've never seen any of those other fans throw a loving punch over someone saying "I don't really like Firefly."

Well it'd be even more ridiculous for someone who isn't a Firefly fan to hit someone over not liking Firefly.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhyno posted:

You have told at least 19 stories about exactly that!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Supernatural has some loving creepy fans.

Plucky Rebels vs Evil Empire is a pretty common setup for a story.

It's just weird when you're explicitly basing those rebels on a bunch of people who committed treason because they wanted to be able to own people

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Skwirl posted:

It's just weird when you're explicitly basing those rebels on a bunch of people who committed treason because they wanted to be able to own people

Many people very deeply believe that neither of those facts are true and IIRC those two facts are not even necessarily taught in many schools. Also add on that most popular media set during the war rarely makes mention of those things as well.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

The people working on the show disagree so much they made an entire episode about it.

Also one of the best episodes of any cartoon ever.

All fandoms suck. Sorry fans, but the the most vocal of your fandom are doing you a disservice

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Madkal posted:

All fandoms suck. Sorry fans, but the the most vocal of your fandom are doing you a disservice

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Thanks South Park.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The pilot for this was great and the trailer looks to continue that, so I can't wait.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiFF18KblJ0

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Didn't see anyone post the new Tick trailer
E: drat you X-O!!!!! :doom:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Oh you didn't?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

X-O posted:

Oh you didn't?
It was one of those "Alright making no one posted this, yep time to post, oh wait I have to do something *leaves for five minutes, comes back* okay now I can post this since obviously no knew the trailer was out" situations.

Any I also enjoyed the pilot for this and like the changes they made for the suit.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

X-O posted:

The pilot for this was great and the trailer looks to continue that, so I can't wait.

That doesn't look too good

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

That doesn't look too good

Had I not seen the pilot I might feel the same way but to me it just looks like one of those trailers that's poorly edited and includes a bunch of out of context jokes that don't land because of it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Punisher poster and a Punisher trailer at Comic-Con.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I cannot find the animation thread, but its on TV but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gihocc_ObBA

Is it me or does this look a hell of a lot like the Venture Bros? Spider-Man looks and moves a hell of a lot like Dean, even his voice sounds similar.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
Normally, "looks a hell of a lot like the Venture Bros" would not be an issue for me, but I don't see myself watching this.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Leaked Runaways promo clip: https://streamable.com/nt8he

Not the same footage that leaked before from the Hulu upfronts, but higher quality.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
The minute or two of footage we've seen is pretty close to the comic; I wonder if they'll do the Cloak and Dagger story, since those two are also getting a show at nearly the same time. Also, I wonder if at the end of the arc they'll get (comics spoilers) rounded up by some established characters like Iron Man did in the comics. That's too much to hope for in a Hulu show so maybe Coulson & co? If they decide to go in that direction, of course.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Argue posted:

The minute or two of footage we've seen is pretty close to the comic; I wonder if they'll do the Cloak and Dagger story, since those two are also getting a show at nearly the same time. Also, I wonder if at the end of the arc they'll get (comics spoilers) rounded up by some established characters like Iron Man did in the comics. That's too much to hope for in a Hulu show so maybe Coulson & co? If they decide to go in that direction, of course.

The answer is likely no to all of that based on how Marvel TV has functioned since the beginning. Could they change? Possibly? But it seems unlikely at this point.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Argue posted:

None of that's going to happen, and the Cloak and Dagger arc wouldn't make any sense if Cloak and Dagger are also teenagers like they are going to be in the new show. It only worked in the comic because Cloak and Dagger were runaway teens a long time ago.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

The answer is likely no to all of that based on how Marvel TV has functioned since the beginning. Could they change? Possibly? But it seems unlikely at this point.

There's more likely to be substantive crossover between C&D and New Warriors than between C&D and Runaways, simply because the former two are on the same network, and even that's hardly a foregone conclusion.

AoS and the Netflix shows have only acknowledged each other via Easter eggs, and that's all you should expect, for the most part.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Newish Defenders Trailer confirming Punisher

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

...how is that confirming Punisher?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Barry Convex posted:

...how is that confirming Punisher?

Did you not watch the whole thing?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Retro Futurist posted:

Did you not watch the whole thing?

Punisher is in a shot at the end but that doesn't confirm Punisher is in Defenders because it was a sappy trailer for all of the Marvel Netflix shows starring Stan Lee.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'll admit I don't speak Korean but it was positioned as a Defenders trailer where I saw it linked and everywhere else I've seen it :shrug:

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Well that shot wasn't reused from Daredevil so unless it's from his own show and he "got there just in time" for somebody else, I think it's a relatively safe bet that that Defenders promo was showing a clip from Defenders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

There's supposed to be a Punisher trailer debuting at SDCC so it's not unreasonable to think that an ad for Marvel's full slate of Netflix shows would include some footage from it.