Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Reik posted:

Well, they should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

mcmagic posted:

Compare that clunky nonsense to Corbyn's messaging.... They should just steal his messaging and also his policies.

Hmm but he lost his election Democrats should be just like Macron.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Hmm but he lost his election Democrats should be just like Macron.

the democrats: "rejoice mortals, for we have passed a new trade bill!"

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

People are treating it as an insult because "skills retraining" has an extremely mixed record in actual practice if even attempted at all.

Some of the same people complaining about this on twitter were complaining about Democrats not emphasizing the same issue last year though. I'm not saying everyone's in this group, but there does seem to be a cottage industry devoted to saying the Democrats are loving up no matter what they do.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Sinteres posted:

Some of the same people complaining about this on twitter were complaining about Democrats not emphasizing the same issue last year though. I'm not saying everyone's in this group, but there does seem to be a cottage industry devoted to saying the Democrats are loving up no matter what they do.

you're trying way too hard to carry water for the dems

they've had 8 months to come up with a message and the best they can do is "better skills. better jobs. better pay"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Sinteres posted:

Who, on Twitter, indicated that the Democrats should be emphasizing "skills" last year?

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002
It is a lovely slogan. Not like offensively bad or insulting, but it is lovely. It has no theme, it's 3 times too long, it does not hook or relate to anything of itself and has no thematic relationship to a proposed policy from th dems that I'm aware of. It is a lovely slogan.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
I'm really not sure why "too long; didn't read LOL" is a thing these people are totally comfortable saying about the massively controversial bill in front of them that will absolutely effect tens of millions of people one way or another. What happened to the good ol' days, when they respected their constituents enough to bother lying about things like that?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sinteres posted:

Well you see, if everyone lost faith with the Democrats then the left could sweep in and pick up the pieces with such inspiring messages as "Vote Peta Lindsay 2012, because it's time for a 28-year-old as President" (not an actual slogan, but Peta Lindsay was 28 and running as the PSL's presidential candidate). Yes, that is what the PSL thought the biggest possible problem with America in 2012 was.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The "skills" part is just dogshit.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

Who, on Twitter, indicated that the Democrats should be emphasizing "skills" last year?

I didn't take detailed notes, but I'm pretty sure it was mentioned as something Democrats should have emphasized as part of an effort to reach out to working class people in the post-election analysis. The government can't magic up jobs for all of these people, so doing things to help make them more competitive seems like a good idea to me, even if it's not a panacea.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/dailykos/status/888125270502264832

:stonk::barf::psyboom:

edit: retracted maybe? maybe a paul did a good?

Condiv fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 20, 2017

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sinteres posted:

I didn't take detailed notes, but I'm pretty sure it was mentioned as something Democrats should have emphasized as part of an effort to reach out to working class people in the post-election analysis.

It wasn't.

God knows the last thing the world needs is more loving programmers.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Sinteres posted:

I'm not saying everyone's in this group, but there does seem to be a cottage industry devoted to saying the Democrats are loving up no matter what they do.

This is driven by anxiety due to the fact that losing major elections to the GOP usually has terrifying long-term consequences. The fear of losing is so high that any slight sign that things aren't working jolts people into yelling at the Dems that they are loving up.

I'm not immune, so I'll join in. Clintonian triangulation and worrying about deficits is not working. The Dems should be loud, proud, unapologetically progressive, at least on a national level. I'll let Senators from lovely red states figure out what works for their idiot electorate.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

quote:

There’s also a racial discrimination in the bail system, Sens. Harris and Paul argue. Black and Latino arrestees are less likely to post bail—and are charged higher bail than their white counterparts.

So to improve the system, the bill incentives aim to change how they do the bail process. It would create a $10 million grant to states who reform or replace their pretrial release processes. In an official statement, Sen. Harris’ office writes that states have to create “individualized, pretrial assessments with risk-based decision-making” to qualify.

The bill already has widespread support with endorsements from over 40 prominent organizations, including the ACLU, the NAACP, and the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers.

I mean, I wouldn't get freaked out. The bill is intended to make it easier to post bail by setting it lower and making it illegal to set it higher based on race. It has support of numerous agencies who fight for civil rights.

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

Sinteres posted:

I didn't take detailed notes, but I'm pretty sure it was mentioned as something Democrats should have emphasized as part of an effort to reach out to working class people in the post-election analysis. The government can't magic up jobs for all of these people, so doing things to help make them more competitive seems like a good idea to me, even if it's not a panacea.

It might be good policy, but the November election has really demonstrated good policy isn't necessarily exciting or popular policy. And what a slogan really needs to be is exciting and popular.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Oops! Looks like you'll have to look elsewhere for your flawless leftist candidate for 2020!

Or alternatively you could stop making perfect the enemy of good and read the article.

quote:

n the current system, the vast majority of defendants cannot afford to pay bail. A New York Times Magazine story from 2015 found that 85% of arrestees cannot afford bail even when it’s set at $500 or lower. According to a 2015 report by the Prison Policy Initiative, many Americans are stuck in the system simply because they are too poor.

There’s also a racial discrimination in the bail system, Sens. Harris and Paul argue. Black and Latino arrestees are less likely to post bail—and are charged higher bail than their white counterparts.

So to improve the system, the bill incentives aim to change how they do the bail process. It would create a $10 million grant to states who reform or replace their pretrial release processes. In an official statement, Sen. Harris’ office writes that states have to create “individualized, pretrial assessments with risk-based decision-making” to qualify.

The bill already has widespread support with endorsements from over 40 prominent organizations, including the ACLU, the NAACP, and the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers.

Now I have no doubt that Rand Paul will somehow find a way to gently caress this up, but at least on its face it seems like a good thing.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
"Skills retraining" generally amounts to some basic computer literacy classes, because real skills retraining is very expensive and hard.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

In case you don't feel like reading past the lede with the dream team

quote:

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

BlueberryCanary posted:

It might be good policy, but the November election has really demonstrated good policy isn't necessarily exciting or popular policy. And what a slogan really needs to be is exciting and popular.

2016: Charisma isn't a dump stat

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Rigel posted:

This is driven by anxiety due to the fact that losing major elections to the GOP usually has terrifying long-term consequences. The fear of losing is so high that any slight sign that things aren't working jolts people into yelling at the Dems that they are loving up.

I'm not immune, so I'll join in. Clintonian triangulation and worrying about deficits is not working. The Dems should be loud, proud, unapologetically progressive, at least on a national level. I'll let Senators from lovely red states figure out what works for their idiot electorate.

You're never going to look that dumb making GBS threads on establishment democrats. They are losers who suck at their jobs.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Covok posted:

I mean, I wouldn't get freaked out. The bill is intended to make it easier to post bail by setting it lower and making it illegal to set it higher based on race. It has support of numerous agencies who fight for civil rights.

yeah i'm reading the op-ed by harris and paul right now

it's not great, but it's better than what we had and it doesn't seem to be that bad. i worry that the "risk-assessment" part will be easily abused, but if it reduces bail for a good deal of people that's still a win

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Nutso libertarians like Paul can occasionally be relied on when it comes to criminal justice procedural matters.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Condiv posted:

Paul has always been good on prison reform and restoring felons' rights.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Condiv posted:

This actually seems fine. Harris's treatment of big financial institutions in CA is much more bothersome to me.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Condiv posted:

yeah i'm reading the op-ed by harris and paul right now

it's not great, but it's better than what we had and it doesn't seem to be that bad. i worry that the "risk-assessment" part will be easily abused, but if it reduces bail for a good deal of people that's still a win

Admittedly that's the part I also worry would be abused but all systems are open to abuse and I'll take a system with some problems that helps out a lot of these people that can't post bail over the current system.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Condiv posted:

you're trying way too hard to carry water for the dems

they've had 8 months to come up with a message and the best they can do is "better skills. better jobs. better pay"

You can't have your cake and eat it too. You can't both expect democrats to have 8 months to perfect a message and also reach out and learn lessons from 2016.

It is good that they didn't start crafting 2018's messaging in late November.

If the most people can complain about is that they included skills (education) rather than just jobs and wages is a great sign.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

HappyHippo posted:

it's somewhat infuriating that republicans were able to run and win on repeal and replace for 7 years when the reality is they have no plan and never did. and people fell for it.

repeal and replace is basically the star citizen of legislation

LIterally just saying "we know you are mad about the cost of healthcare and we are gonna fix it" with no details won an election.

But we can't run on single payer because

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Teddybear posted:

Nutso libertarians like Paul can occasionally be relied on when it comes to criminal justice procedural matters.

Yeah, this. I'm not worried about Harris working with Paul on issues like these.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

LIterally just saying "we know you are mad about the cost of healthcare and we are gonna fix it" with no details won an election.

Trump ran on criticizing the ACA from the left to the extent that he had any actual policy issues with it.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Jaxyon posted:

the us left never stops whining about broken or incomplete promises, the gop doesn't have this disadvantage

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

Which election? Because lol if you're claiming that's how Trump won.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

boner confessor posted:

the us left never stops whining about broken or incomplete promises, the gop doesn't have this disadvantage

Also, the Left actually cares about policy. Republicans don't.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Condiv posted:

here's another thing you may have wanted to read before freaking out.

quote:

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Krispy Kareem posted:

Trump knows what health insurance is. It sounds like he’s trying to express how coverage is cheaper when you’re younger, but you buy it when you’re healthy so you have it when you’re old. The GOP plan tried to force continuation of coverage through premium costs rather than a mandate so it aligns with that. He’s just doing a terrible job of explaining himself.

Are you sure YOU know what health insurance is? You don't build up equity in health insurance by having it a long time.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jaxyon posted:

To be fair, there's a difference between running on a specific policy like single-payer and running on "we've got a great plan, just imagine whatever your ideal plan is, that's what we're going to do".

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
538 made a really good 'what-if clinton won'. I think its probably very accurate.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/if-clinton-had-won/

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

Because Republicans have massive built in advantages in both chambers of Congress and Democrats still haven't figured out a way to even remotely pay for single payer yet. Trying to play catch up with the rest of the civilized world on healthcare long after the market inflated our costs through the loving roof is going to be expensive as hell, and sloganeering about it is way easier than actually doing it. Republicans are finding out that even smashing something is harder than saying it, and single payer is going to be a hell of a lot harder than that.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
democrats: "we will target $12 minimum wage in some areas, $15 in others, until we reach a gradual sustained living wage across broad areas of..."

american left electorate: "not good enough from the WAR CRIMINAL OBAMA"

republicans: "we will ban islam and cut taxes until all americans are employed in the same carefree high paying jobs they had just out of high school"

american right electorate: *wild applause, hooting*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JailTrump
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Let's Come up with Dem Slogans ITT:

America For All
Rebuild Freedom

• Locked thread