Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Pendent posted:

So a relic blade that deals 2 damage instead of d3 :geno:

Characters can't take relic blades, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery

TheChirurgeon posted:

And relic blades are 21 points, where this has the possibility of being...free?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I shared a bed with Mr. Cannon one cold DC summer night, and woke up mostly intact. Never told my wife about it, though...

Master of the Slow Poke and a sex cannon sharing a bed.

This story writes itself.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

LingcodKilla posted:

Do I smell a new piece of fan fiction for the Bad Cast?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I'm more of an idea man than a script writer.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Uroboros posted:

The best part of the Iron Cage is Guilliman had to save them, guy sure has to clean up a lot of other people's gently caress-ups.

Its less that he "has to" and more that GW's writers bend over backwards to give the big Mary Sue the chance to save the day at every possible opportunity.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

TheChirurgeon posted:

My captain has a relic blade.

Anyway, kinda disappointed by this.

It basically gives vehicles PotMS. But the stuff I'd want to be firing on the move has that already. Land raiders and storm ravens, my sicaran venator. The dreadnoughts I use are BS 2+ so the penalty for firing heavy weapons doesn't matter much, I'm not going to spend CP to let my contemptor hit with 5 assault cannon shots instead of 4.. My predators stay put the whole game with their long ranged weapons, I guess it could let them try to take an objective late game without giving up firepower or avoid someone trying to charge them. Could let me get a vindicator into range turn 1 maybe, or let a razorback fire a bit better while it's moving up. But it's a pretty meh stratagem, especially if you have to pay it every turn and can only do it for 1 vehicle a turn. It also makes a big deal of letting vehicles fire assault guns on the move without penalty. So... the meltaguns on some of the bigger dreads? That's the only vehicle assault weapons in the SM inventory other than heavy flamers. I guess they're trying to push some assault stuff on the new dread.

Warlord trait to give more attacks, we'll see how that goes. I already use the trait that gives an extra attack when charging.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 20, 2017

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
It replaces a Power Axe. So anything that can take a power axe that can't take a relic blade can just use the Relic version instead. It's a pretty nice upgrade, and it can go on units that don't have access to Relic Blades.

And moving and shooting without a penalty can be really important on certain things, like quad-las Predators and the like. It can easily be worth the cost to activate the stratagem to move and hit on 3+ instead of 4+.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

WhiteWolf123 posted:

It replaces a Power Axe. So anything that can take a power axe that can't take a relic blade can just use the Relic version instead. It's a pretty nice upgrade, and it can go on units that don't have access to Relic Blades.

And moving and shooting without a penalty can be really important on certain things, like quad-las Predators and the like. It can easily be worth the cost to activate the stratagem to move and hit on 3+ instead of 4+.

Yes, I addressed that in my post. I said my predators stay still most games but I could see having a lascannon predator on the move being useful sometimes. If it's 1 CP maybe. If it costs 2 I can just use my reroll stratagem on an important lascannon shot. Predators are the only real thing I see it being useful for for me, the other stuff like razorbacks doesn't make enough of a difference for me to want to spend CP on them. But maybe those new dreads will have enough firepower to make it worthwhile.

And I'm not sure what I'd give the axe that can't take a relic blade anyway. My assault marines have an eviscerator, my vanguard sergeant can take a relic blade, captain can take a relic blade. My chaplain can't take power axes. So I can either use it to give the vanguard a second relic blade essentially, or give one to a tac squad sergeant or my techmarine.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 20, 2017

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I don't think it's at a points premium over a regular power axe, though.

And I waited like a fool and the main hotel for Adpeticon is already booked; I'll have to slum it in a neighbor hotel like the C.H.U.D. I am.

you dummy

i gave a heads-up in the thread and everything

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Painted up the Primaris Ancient today:

I was quite pleased to get the full "Crimson Fists" in on the banner, even in my shaky as gently caress brush-writing.

Miruvor
Jan 19, 2007
Pillbug
I didn't realize Feel No Pain-like abilities stack, so double-sixes to ignore for venerable Dreads is a pretty cool ability.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Miruvor posted:

I didn't realize Feel No Pain-like abilities stack, so double-sixes to ignore for venerable Dreads is a pretty cool ability.

Yeah it's pretty decent for ven dreads. For most other stuff though it's not enough to make you survive longer, it'll just be a nice benefit when once in a while a marine survives a failed save vs a 1 damage attack. If a normal dreadnought gets hit by 3 weapons that do d6 each, it's still dead after a 6+. You have to have really good rolls and your opponent really poor damage rolls to make much of a difference. It's kinda a boring ability really, last edition it was nice because your characters and vehicles could also regain wounds each turn, instead of being Death Guard but half as effective and cheaper.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jul 20, 2017

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Converted some World Eater close combat Terminators. First conversions I've done in decades. Fairly pleased with them

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

Count as twin-linked?

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Glad you caught it haha

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Really, the way I see it, a third to half of my points can't use chapter tactics because they're vehicles, and so the chapter tactics don't mean much to me. So if I'm playing anything competitive I'll just pick whatever chapter has a stratagem and warlord trait I prefer.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

chutche2 posted:

Really, the way I see it, a third to half of my points can't use chapter tactics because they're vehicles, and so the chapter tactics don't mean much to me. So if I'm playing anything competitive I'll just pick whatever chapter has a stratagem and warlord trait I prefer.

That seems pretty reductive. An army-wide bonus to infantry and bikes and dreads is pretty impactful - I wouldn't say it doesn't mean much just because vehicles don't get it. By the same token the warlord trait only affects one model and strategems will only get used a cupola times a battle.

JoshTheStampede fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jul 20, 2017

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

JoshTheStampede posted:

That seems pretty reductive. An army-wide bonus to infantry and bikes and dreads is pretty impactful - I wouldn't say it doesn't mean much just because vehicles don't get it. By the same token the warlord trait only affects one model and strategems will only get used a few times a battle.

It is impactful, but it's not how I built my army. I have something like 7 tanks and a stormraven. I don't even own any bikes, and have two dreads. The main things I bring are tac marines, 5 terminators, and vehicles.

Chapter tactics are very impactful to most people, I'm just saying they don't do much for me and I'll get more out of the stratagem of a chapter.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 20, 2017

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Serotonin posted:

Converted some World Eater close combat Terminators. First conversions I've done in decades. Fairly pleased with them

That's a very intense looking aerobics class.

:mad: And three more, and two more, and one more. Now take it to the left!

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:
How many people would care if I put 10 of my guard basic conscripts on square bases as I ran out of circle bases from building my inquisition agents on the circle bases?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Agentdark posted:

How many people would care if I put 10 of my guard basic conscripts on square bases as I ran out of circle bases from building my inquisition agents on the circle bases?

Enough that id just buy some bases for cheap. The entire game is determined by measuring by base.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Serotonin posted:

These are some amazing, angry boys.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
Speaking of conversions here are my shining spears!

New dire avenger bodies with old metal dire avenger heads, the laser lances were made in a few different ways by chopping up pulse lasers, bright lances, vehicle bits, a wraitlord sword handle and dire avenger scopes. Theres a warlock/farseer skyrunner on the left with a power glaive representing a singing spear and since the size/shape of the spears vary, I'm identifying my autarchs with different heads and a flag on their back so my opponents can tell where the str 8 hurt is coming from.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Agentdark posted:

I just bought 100 bases for $10.50 shipped. Just buy the round bases.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
What's everyone's favorite snow for winter bases? I'm going for a snowy/rocky base with snow and cork sheet for my Space Wolves.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Deified Data posted:

What's everyone's favorite snow for winter bases? I'm going for a snowy/rocky base with snow and cork sheet for my Space Wolves.

Mod podge and baking soda mixed into a slurry for me

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

chutche2 posted:

Mod podge and baking soda mixed into a slurry for me

Do you happen to have any pics handy?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Deified Data posted:

Woodland scenics mixed with water and PVC glue to make it look slushy.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 20, 2017

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Deified Data posted:

GW's stuff works well for me:

Probably not the cheapest though.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Thanks guys, I'll post some pics with what I end up using.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Woodland Scenics snow (its ground up polystyrene foam) and Woodland Scenics Realistic Water (or a gloss medium). Makes great looking non-degrading snow. More liquid for slush, less liquid for snow.

5 years ago, and wrong game.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 20, 2017

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Clearly the best way to make snow effects for basing is to grind up CFL bulbs.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Some nice loving pictures on this page. Love that arctic blue Tyrannofex.

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:

RagnarokAngel posted:

Enough that id just buy some bases for cheap. The entire game is determined by measuring by base.

Thats fair, I was honestly just being lazy

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Deified Data posted:

Do you happen to have any pics handy?

I'll take some pictures of my Khador after work

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Zaphod42 posted:

Its less that he "has to" and more that GW's writers bend over backwards to give the big Mary Sue the chance to save the day at every possible opportunity.

I'm sorry that the character that is written as not being a glory seeking man-child is portrayed as more successful and level headed than his brothers, how unrealistic.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Mary Sue has officially reached "completely meaningless" territory anyway.

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Who speaks for the Man's cub?

Uroboros posted:

I'm sorry that the character that is written as not being a glory seeking man-child is portrayed as more successful and level headed than his brothers, how unrealistic.

Yeah, Gulliman is actually a very interesting character (and I don't even like Ultramarines much.) Reading Dark Imperium, and (from what I recall of the HH) he's basically the guy who has had power and authority thrust upon him, and he feels duty-bound to do his best, even though, to be honest, he'd really rather be dead. . .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

He's like that in Unremembered Empire as well. Due just wants to do his best and make Ultramar a cool place to live and all his idiot brother and his distant and uncaring dad keep loving everything up.