Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

GaussianCopula posted:

You are aware that they can import wood?

If you're willing and able to pay the gold price, but not the shitrock people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Also, the Lannister fleet was torched in Balon's rebellion and I don't think it has been rebuilt, and the Starks/North haven't had a fleet since Bran the Burner.

So while in absolute numbers they might be a bit small, the are still one of the bigger naval powers in Westeros.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Lycus posted:

Surely it makes complete sense that the shitrock people became the preeminent naval power in the first place.

They looted treated and aged oak, apparently.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
'we do not sow' are the words of house greyjoy, they haven't even been the exclusive rulers of the iron islands for the duration of its history.

Among the smallfolk themselves there are also fishermen and crafstmen, they're not all pirates and they do have an economy.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

GaussianCopula posted:

You are aware that they can import wood?

The Iron Price for that much wood is a ton of coastal villages.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

their new show sounds loving awful.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Groovelord Neato posted:

their new show sounds loving awful.

you can say that again

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

They should make a show about the twenty good men and how they solve wacky new situations every week.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."

Phenotype posted:

Yeah, I dunno why this was such a thing at all. I didn't know there was a cameo at all going in -- I thought he looked vaguely familiar, but you know, actors, and he did a decent enough job that I wouldn't have suspected he wasn't some D-list actor trying to get work.

I also dunno why people are calling that segment "rapey." They were obviously interested in Arya, but they were decent guys, they were just earnestly trying to make her like them and feel at home, not even crudely hitting on her with The Implication that a bunch of armed soldiers could present to a girl all alone. It was actually really refreshing to see a bunch of soldiers who were just regular guys, who probably want to get laid but certainly aren't going to default to rapemurder like most of the soldiers we've seen. To be honest, when EVERY pack of soldiers is going to kill the innkeeper and rape his daughter to death or murder an entire peaceful farming village, it kinda makes it hard to believe that Westeros is a place that people could actually live in.

Personally at the beginning I got some "rapey" vibes. I think it's understandable though because it's freaking Westeros. After those vibes went away I was genuinely afraid for the soldiers because I thought Arya was jut going to kill them.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

I'm sure nothing could possibly go wrong with this.

http://www.thewrap.com/game-of-thrones-showrunners-confederate/

‘Game of Thrones’ Showrunners Reveal Next HBO Project: ‘Confederate’

Series takes place in an alternate reality where slavery has continued into the modern era

Can't wait for their adaptation of Old Custer - Well, everyone knows Custer died at Little Bighorn. What this book presupposes is... maybe he didn't.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Didn't they make a movie about the south winning that was really boring and bad?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Solice Kirsk posted:

Didn't they make a movie about the south winning that was really boring and bad?

yes and I just found out the whole drat thing is up on youtube, enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exnwTWfFRM8

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

Series takes place in an alternate reality where slavery has continued into the modern era

They turned down GoT millions to work on that, wow

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yep, C.S.A.: The Confederate States of America

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

pyrotek posted:

HBO had to literally beg them to agree to an 8th season. They are absolutely sick of GoT and want to move on to anything else. Which helps explain some things.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
They're asoiaf fans so I understand why they'd hate their current job.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

pyrotek posted:

You think that HBO is not throwing money and the "creators of Game of Thrones" "Producers of Game of Thrones" or whatever title they will pick to produce their next show?

They basically had card blanche to do whatever show they wanted - and it seems that alternate history USA was their pick.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's gonna fail bigly.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

GaussianCopula posted:

You think that HBO is not throwing money and the "creators of Game of Thrones" "Producers of Game of Thrones" or whatever title they will pick to produce their next show?

They basically had card blanche to do whatever show they wanted - and it seems that alternate history USA was their pick.

what's Dave Hill's next project?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

FogHelmut posted:

He'll be lead showrunner for the first GoT spinoff.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

FogHelmut posted:

The show set in a modern Confederacy is titled This Year.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

FogHelmut posted:

"The Life of Olly's Father - A Game of Thrones story"

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

PostNouveau posted:

I am in fact masturbating right now.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Ague Proof posted:

The show set in a modern Confederacy is titled This Year.

*Dave Hill randomly pops into Benioff and Weiss's office*
"Wouldn't it make sense if the South won the war and we still had black people as slaves?"
"Yes, that would make sense."

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Man In the High Castle manages to make one of the most cookie-cutter alt-history "what-ifs?" somewhat compelling, so maybe they can take an absurd premise and spin gold.

But probably not!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

R-Type posted:

I am in fact masturbating right now.

Yeah there's no way this show doesn't get latched on to by the neo-Confederates.

quote:

The story takes place during what’s called the Third American Civil War and follows a group of characters on both sides of the Mason-Dixon line, now a demilitarized zone. The groups the characters belong to are vast and include freedom fighters, slave hunters, politicians, abolitionists, journalists and others. One specific group are the executives of a slave-holding conglomerate and the families they control.

Not seeing slaves mentioned as any of the characters either.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He'll be lead showrunner for the first GoT spinoff.

"Arya Murders EVERYBODY (except The Hound)"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

grack posted:

"AryaOlly Murders EVERYBODY (except The Hound)"

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Illyn Payne: "good thing Arya never wrote down her list and forgot me"

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Man In the High Castle manages to make one of the most cookie-cutter alt-history "what-ifs?" somewhat compelling, so maybe they can take an absurd premise and spin gold.

But probably not!

It was kinda dragging until Old Man Hitler shows up. But at least The Man in the High Castle takes place less than 20 years after the war. You'd need severe mental gymnastics to imagine the Confederacy lasting into modern day.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

drunken officeparty posted:

Illyn Payne: "good thing Arya never wrote down her list and forgot me"

No way he would ever say this, for obvious reasons.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

how the gently caress would there be a third civil war. how would the south have survived even a second one. what the gently caress.

the movie csa was created to satirize modern day using the confederacy, it wasn't serious.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

how the gently caress would there be a third civil war. how would the south have survived even a second one. what the gently caress.

They built a time machine to assassinate General Sherman's parents before he was born.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Groovelord Neato posted:

the movie csa was created to satirize modern day using the confederacy, it wasn't serious.

This time, Dave Hill is in charge of the US Armed Forces

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

FogHelmut posted:

They built a time machine to assassinate General Sherman's parents before he was born.

lol they shoulda just adapted guns of the south in which some afrikaners go back in time to give the confederates ak-47s.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Groovelord Neato posted:

The Confederacy was saved at the last minute by the sudden arrival of another army.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

Slavery was already on the outs internationally by Civil War 1 so how does the Neo-Confederacy not put a nominally kinder face on it with wage peonage or something in tyool 2017? If they don't how do they survive as a pariah state?

How does industrialization not make chattel slavery mostly obsolete? Are you cracking the whip at your Java Applet developer and the guy who maintenances the automated CNC machine?

I mean I will accept some glossing over of poo poo for storytellung reasons but 2017 slave holding CSA is a biiiig buy in.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

GaussianCopula posted:

I'm surprised HBO wasn't able to convince them to hand the show off to some lower level people, take bunches of money with an executive producer credit, and still use their carte blanche on a new show at the same time.

Hopefully they are smart enough not to pay too much for John from Cincinnati 2.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

So what's the rest of the world like? Did we stop the nazis while simultaneously fighting our own multiple civil wars? Does no one else give a poo poo we have slaves? Did Germany try to stop us? Is Hitler the good guy? I have so many questions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I thought Westworld was supposed to be the new Big Prestige Drama?

I respect it for degenerating into basement teir schlock by the end of Season 1 rather than stringing us along with a few seasons of quality.

• Locked thread