Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

D-Pad posted:

The backlash over this is stupid. Man in the High Castle, a show where blacks, LBGT, Jews, etc are persecuted in a modern America ruled by Nazi's is ok and wins emmy awards, but the same premise except its the Confederates instead of Nazi's is not ok.

Like if the show glorifies the confederacy and slavery that is one thing, but I seriously doubt HBO will be doing that. It is fiction and this backlash is just going too far down the SJW rabbit hole.

Eh, I think I see a difference, at least to Americans. There's not a lot of people in America in 2017 debating the ethics of Nazism or anything. Meanwhile besides all the many complicated race issues and problems we have in this country we're still in 2017 seeing city and state governments getting around to removing Confederate Flags and monuments and being greeted by angry armed protests with torches.

I'm not calling HBO racist or anything but I'm guessing if they start airing a show where the Confederacy were the winners and slavery is still a thing there's going to be a lot of really wild, passionate, and mixed reactions to the show. Like, I'm not talking about people getting offended. I'm talking about us having to deal with all the people who either see the Confederates in the show as the good guys or getting really upset that HBO is being unfair in their representation or some bullshit. This poo poo's going to get messy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's two white dudes running a show about a modern-day black slave trade. What's hard to understand about the controversy there?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

D-Pad posted:

The backlash over this is stupid. Man in the High Castle, a show where blacks, LBGT, Jews, etc are persecuted in a modern America ruled by Nazi's is ok and wins emmy awards, but the same premise except its the Confederates instead of Nazi's is not ok.

Like if the show glorifies the confederacy and slavery that is one thing, but I seriously doubt HBO will be doing that. It is fiction and this backlash is just going too far down the SJW rabbit hole.

It's not like there are several states whose capitol buildings still fly the confederate flag or anything, THOSE ERSS JERR DERBERYAS ARE AT IT AGAIN

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

D-Pad posted:

It's nothing to do with morality, it's that the Confederacy is *our* traitorous losers, and the people that support them shouldn't even get speculative fiction that lets them pretend they weren't losers. It's like rubbing a dogs nose in poo poo, Southern Independence is an idea that should only inspire shame and depression at what a colossal bunch of gently caress ups the people that tried it were.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

raditts posted:

It's not like there are several states whose capitol buildings still fly the confederate flag or anything, THOSE ERSS JERR DERBERYAS ARE AT IT AGAIN

And?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I always feel walking around the states and cities that still idolize the confederacy must be like going to one of those African villages where all the kids are wearing the losing Super Bowl team tshirts and hats.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

And, maybe it's understandable that people would regard this differently from "what if the nazis won" alt-history when parts of the country are convinced the civil war never ended

also, as long as you're chiding people with how people were supposedly cool with Man in the High Castle, let's not forget that this is a thing that loving happened

raditts fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jul 20, 2017

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

muscles like this! posted:

A weird thing about Syfy's Blood Drive is that it is normally just a show full of gore and swears that parodies old horror movies but there's also a running meta subplot where the MC of the titular Blood Drive has to deal with his corporate overlords trying to take the show away from him.

Blood Drive is so loving strange. It feels like it's trying to be fun and goofy like Spartacus or Into the Badlands, but it's just so relentlessly cruel and mean-spirited that any fun it might have had is sucked away.

e: also Man in the High Castle got a good amount of backlash, yeah. For what it's worth I seriously doubt this show is gonna be pro-Confederate, I get "Handmaid's Tale but about racism" vibes off it if anything.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Blood Drive is so loving strange. It feels like it's trying to be fun and goofy like Spartacus or Into the Badlands, but it's just so relentlessly cruel and mean-spirited that any fun it might have had is sucked away.

e: also Man in the High Castle got a good amount of backlash, yeah. For what it's worth I seriously doubt this show is gonna be pro-Confederate, I get "Handmaid's Tale but about racism" vibes off it if anything.

If you want to watch something featuring a car running on blood watch Blood Car.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

It's two white dudes running a show about a modern-day black slave trade. What's hard to understand about the controversy there?

The idea that a white person can't tell a FICTIONAL story that involves black people is ridiculous. Does that mean black people aren't allowed to tell stories involving white people?

raditts posted:

What exactly does this have to do with a fictional TV show?

Mulva posted:

It's nothing to do with morality, it's that the Confederacy is *our* traitorous losers, and the people that support them shouldn't even get speculative fiction that lets them pretend they weren't losers. It's like rubbing a dogs nose in poo poo, Southern Independence is an idea that should only inspire shame and depression at what a colossal bunch of gently caress ups the people that tried it were.

Do you think the show is going to glorify the modern day confederacy? I seriously doubt it does. More likely it is going to show how horrible the institution and people behind it are and shame them in the process.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think the problem is that as crazy as it is "The Confederacy were the bad guys" is a genuinely controversial statement in 2017 America.

I don't actually think that has to do that much with Trump. It was a controversial statement in 2015 too, maybe even more so since that was before a bunch of states decided maybe they should take down some of the memorials and flags to the Confederacy. But in 2017 thanks to Trump there's name White Supremacists and David Duke popped his head up and there's a whole lot of groups feeling more empowered than they were a little while ago.

So you're just going to have a lot of people very vocally taking the wrong messages from the show or spinning really hosed up narratives or complaining that its unfair to portray the heroes of "War of Northern Aggression" in such a light because it was never about slavery. And its going to get very messy.

That's the different between it and the Man in the High Tower, I think. I could be wrong but I don't think there's quite the same number of people who think the Nazis were right and feel comfortable voicing that opinion on cable news or in public. So if everyone's starting from the same point of "Nazis are bad and this is a bad thing" then everything goes smoother. But when the Attorney General of the United States would probably take "the Confederacy won the war" as a good thing its a little different.

tl,dr; It could be a very good show but we probably shouldn't do an alt-history show about America's atrocities because America is super hosed up and doesn't agree on what its atrocities were.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

D-Pad posted:

What exactly does this have to do with a fictional TV show?

look, I understand that fully reading what you're replying to before you post is not what the cool kids do these days, but why don't you give it a shot just this once, just for me.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

D-Pad posted:

Do you think the show is going to glorify the modern day confederacy?

Even saying "Modern day Confederacy" is glorifying the monumental gently caress up of their position. They had less people, less industrialization, and a precarious social position to begin with. It was perhaps one of the least optimistic possible wars to start, and short of magic there was nothing that would ever win it for them. Pretending that there is any reality in which they could even hypothetically win is giving power to a group of very real people that exist today that deserve to have their underwear pulled over their head before be thrown in the gutter and laughed at.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Also the two whites guys running it aren't exactly proven experts at nuance or sensitive issues or not portraying slavery and rape as entertaining.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mulva posted:

Even saying "Modern day Confederacy" is glorifying the monumental gently caress up of their position. They had less people, less industrialization, and a precarious social position to begin with. It was perhaps one of the least optimistic possible wars to start, and short of magic there was nothing that would ever win it for them. Pretending that there is any reality in which they could even hypothetically win is giving power to a group of very real people that exist today that deserve to have their underwear pulled over their head before be thrown in the gutter and laughed at.

This was well known and established as popular truth as early as the 1930s. One of the early lines in Gone with the Wind has Rhett at a southern gentlemen social gathering where they are all touting the inevitable success of the South over the North and then Rhett just laughs and asks them how many cannon factories are in the South, how many munition factories, etc. When all the other socialites attack him for being a yellow coward he raises a toast to the success of the South in a sarcastic manner that flies over their head.

It's called the "Lost Cause" myth for a reason. Even the most diehard CSA fans have to admit that without international support the South had literally 0 chance of ever winning, at best they could bleed the North for a few more years before completely exhausting their resources. The entire CSA structure was such a clusterfuck at one point Georgia was threatening to secede from it and go it alone.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

D-Pad posted:

The idea that a white person can't tell a FICTIONAL story that involves black people is ridiculous. Does that mean black people aren't allowed to tell stories involving white people?

"involves black people" =/= "about black slavery"

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

I think the problem is that as crazy as it is "The Confederacy were the bad guys" is a genuinely controversial statement in 2017 America.

I don't actually think that has to do that much with Trump. It was a controversial statement in 2015 too, maybe even more so since that was before a bunch of states decided maybe they should take down some of the memorials and flags to the Confederacy. But in 2017 thanks to Trump there's name White Supremacists and David Duke popped his head up and there's a whole lot of groups feeling more empowered than they were a little while ago.

So you're just going to have a lot of people very vocally taking the wrong messages from the show or spinning really hosed up narratives or complaining that its unfair to portray the heroes of "War of Northern Aggression" in such a light because it was never about slavery. And its going to get very messy.

That's the different between it and the Man in the High Tower, I think. I could be wrong but I don't think there's quite the same number of people who think the Nazis were right and feel comfortable voicing that opinion on cable news or in public. So if everyone's starting from the same point of "Nazis are bad and this is a bad thing" then everything goes smoother. But when the Attorney General of the United States would probably take "the Confederacy won the war" as a good thing its a little different.

tl,dr; It could be a very good show but we probably shouldn't do an alt-history show about America's atrocities because America is super hosed up and doesn't agree on what its atrocities were.

Right, but people aren't complaining about this show because it might give rednecks the wrong message, they are complaining about the fact that a show is being made about this subject matter. I don't think the fact that there is disagreement over America's atrocities should be a reason that a subject that involves one of the atrocities should be off limits. We make lots of stories about Vietnam, but there is still disagreement about that being an American atrocity as well.

Escobarbarian posted:

"involves black people" =/= "about black slavery"

Fair enough, but I would make the same point. Is a white person not allowed to tell a story that involves black slavery? Should all the media created to date by a white person that has to do with black slavery be banned?

Can someone explain to me how this would be different than burning a book? People are advocating that a piece of FICTION should not be made because of its subject matter. How is that any different than burning a work of fiction because of its subject matter?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Anyone wanna talk about Doctor Who or Star Trek?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Do. Who's a chick now which is pretty cool and Star Trek Discovery is (probably) a garbage fire.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I generally enjoy Who but wasn't really feeling this latest Doctor. I ended up deleting most of the season from my DVR after watching a few episodes and not getting into. New companion was ok but just didn't get into it.

I'll probably binge the season at some point when its on Amazon Prime and then give the new Doctor a shot.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I was excited for Star Trek when I heard Michelle Yeoh joined the cast, but then I heard she might die right away so I stopped caring.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

OldSenileGuy posted:

Anyone wanna talk about Doctor Who or Star Trek?

Star Trek still isn't out? I thought that was supposed to be out like a year ago?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

STAC Goat posted:

I generally enjoy Who but wasn't really feeling this latest Doctor. I ended up deleting most of the season from my DVR after watching a few episodes and not getting into. New companion was ok but just didn't get into it.

I'll probably binge the season at some point when its on Amazon Prime and then give the new Doctor a shot.

This last season with Capaldi was actually good, I thought the first one or two were kind of a trash fire but I really dug this one. I think it's good that we're getting a lady doctor and I really hope River Song comes back just to see how pissed off the internet can get.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Mulva posted:

That's why they banked so hard on Britain and France stepping in. They actually thought King Cotton would save them.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

IRQ posted:

This last season with Capaldi was actually good, I thought the first one or two were kind of a trash fire but I really dug this one. I think it's good that we're getting a lady doctor and I really hope River Song comes back just to see how pissed off the internet can get.

I quit watching regularly because Capaldi and Coleman had negative chemistry together and there was some extra lovely episode that had Maisie Williams in it for some reason, I think that was a couple of years ago. Tried to catch one recently with the new companion and it was one on a space station about a corporation that was killing its employees, that was basically "capitalism is bad" stretched out over an hour of really bad television, ending up with "I'M BLIIIIIIIND"

and that's the last time I watched it. Maybe I'll give it another go with the new doctor.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

raditts posted:

Star Trek still isn't out? I thought that was supposed to be out like a year ago?

It was. But then, I doubt CBS actually gives a poo poo about it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

IRQ posted:

Outside of "They speak emoji!" it all just kind of felt like a drag and rehash to me. I got 3 or 4 episodes in. Plus I just really didn't care for Capaldi's Doctor. Like, I respect them trying something different but ultimately making the Doctor kind of an angry, bitter old man didn't make it super fun to watch him having adventures every week. Although I enjoyed when Clara gave him "be nice" flash cards.

Like I said, I'll probably binge it when it shows up on Prime. That's a better viewing format for me with shows like Who than watching it "live" since my DVR is on a shared TV so I can't just veg out for hours with it and that's the best way I can kind of immerse myself in flawed shows so I just kind of overlook its flaws and any distractions and get sucked in.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I just started watching Blood Drive and I'm 100% on board.

Edit: Ahahahahaha of course they play Manson's Mobscene when they first introduce the race. This show is so dumb and I love it. I hope they don't run out of steam.

Two of the racers are called Clown Dick and Fat Elvis.

Popelmon fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 20, 2017

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I feel like it's trying to go for a Hobo with a Shotgun vibe, without realizing that what made that movie work was its absurd sense of humor and its genuine, sincere heart. That's a problem with the show.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
but seriously Riverdale is loving amazing and SEX ARCHIE is a hilarious podcast, thanks for that DP

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

DC Murderverse posted:

Welcome back to Fake Forums Jeopardy folks! Our final jeopardy category is Terrible Terrible TV Ideas.

Here's the answer: "It's a terrible idea in any political climate, but despite it's GoT pedigree, this future HBO show about the south having won the civil war and having modern day slavery is going to be a disaster in Trump's America."

"What is Confederate?"

That's right, and what did you bid?

"I bid 'the description of this show features the phrase 'the executives of a slave-holding conglomerate' ' "

Congratulations! We'll see you next time on Fake Forums Jeopardy.

I take all of this back if it's just a Tarantino-esque excuse to kill a bunch of confederate loving fuckers

Wow. My decision to no longer look at TVIV reports could not have been better timed.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I seriously can't figure out what kind of person reports posts. Like I've maybe done it once, because of someone who had made remarks about me in multiple threads really quickly or some such thing, and even then I felt pretty square about the whole thing.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I reported someone once for quadruple posting.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

X-O posted:

Wow. My decision to no longer look at TVIV reports could not have been better timed.

What the heck is there to report about this?

I mean yeah the argument that started is pretty dumb because that's just a terrible idea for a show on any level. Like even if you beep boop don't "get" racism it's still a poo poo idea for a show.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I feel like it's trying to go for a Hobo with a Shotgun vibe, without realizing that what made that movie work was its absurd sense of humor and its genuine, sincere heart. That's a problem with the show.

You dont know what you're talking about, Blood Drive embodies the exact things you're complaining about it lacking

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

IRQ posted:

What the heck is there to report about this?

This could also be said about Game of Thrones, American Gods, John Oliver's show, and pretty much every cartoon out there. And yet...

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My favourite Last Week Tonight sections are the bits with the executives of a slave-holding conglomerate.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Escobarbarian posted:

My favourite Last Week Tonight sections are the bits with the executives of a slave-holding conglomerate.

The one he got sued over?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

bring back old gbs posted:

You dont know what you're talking about, Blood Drive embodies the exact things you're complaining about it lacking

I've only seen the first episode of Blood Drive, so if it gets better as it goes on, I'm open to being wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

precision posted:

but seriously Riverdale is loving amazing and SEX ARCHIE is a hilarious podcast, thanks for that DP
Sex Archie is what America wants to see.

• Locked thread