Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!

How do you even say this. As a teacher who has to read attendance, this is really important.

Neveh? Nevayah? Nevayyyyyylmao?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

DavidAlltheTime posted:

How do you even say this. As a teacher who has to read attendance, this is really important.

Neveh? Nevayah? Nevayyyyyylmao?

I've heard it as Nevayah.

My pet peeve stems from air travel: people who put their gross bare feet on the back of the arm rest in front of them. Forcing you to either sit really uncomfortably with your arms or risk touching their nasty toes.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

MightyJoe36 posted:

If you want to give your kid a unique, special snowflake name with an obscure spelling, that's up to you. Just don't get all pissy and call me a racist when I don't know how to pronounce it correctly.

What does it have to do with race? The Black People Give Their Kids Crazy Names stereotype?

Because boy do I have news for you

Lay-kinn?
Luh-kinn?
Lah-kinn?
L'kn?

E:

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 22:56 on Jul 20, 2017

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Thin Privilege posted:

What does it have to do with race? The Black People Give Their Kids Crazy Names stereotype?

Because boy do I have news for you

Lay-kinn?
Luh-kinn?
Lah-kinn?
L'kn?

Whatever her middle name ended up being, with any luck

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

That one destroys me every time, because they thought they'd come up with so many creative clever names that they couldn't share just one by naming the goddamn baby, they had to include the "runners-up".

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Brawnfire posted:

That one destroys me every time, because they thought they'd come up with so many creative clever names that they couldn't share just one by naming the goddamn baby, they had to include the "runners-up".

Omg the list is even worse

http://mommyslittlesunshine.blogspot.com/2012/01/we-picked-name.html?m=1

quote:

Taylee
McKarty
Nayvie
Maylee
Kamree
Nykee
Taislee
Taigley
Tenley
McKamey
McKartnee
Tayvie

I'm gonna name my kid Kahrolla I think it's a good name after all Corollas are as good as Camry Kamrees right?

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Thin Privilege posted:

According to some stupid article a read a while ago, the reason you have trouble pronouncing the Crazy Names some Black People give their kids means you're a racist. It didn't mention what it meant if you also have trouble with Crazy Names some White People give their kids.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Why is it those types of moms always end the names with "lenn" or "lee" sounds? It's weirdly homogeneous.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I'm, like, 90% sure this picture was only created to piss off cranks on the internet.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

I'm, like, 90% sure this picture was only created to piss off cranks on the internet.

No. http://mommyslittlesunshine.blogspot.com/2012/01/29-weeks.html

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
smdh at these idiots wasting time and effort to concoct hard to pronounce names when they could just pick something Irish.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Baby names are starting to become just fantasy names in my head. Like the distance from Lakynn to Aragorn is way closer than you'd think.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I've given a lot of consideration to having my name changed to my current name except spelled correctly. My mom got in on the ground floor of the trend back in the 80s and yup it makes me look special and stand out because now every time I have to tell someone my name they think I'm an idiot.

I can't even just go by my middle name because it's spelled wrong too.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Agent355 posted:

Baby names are starting to become just fantasy names in my head. Like the distance from Lakynn to Aragorn is way closer than you'd think.

If someone is called Aragorn that is at least spelled right, it's not Arargon now is it.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

doverhog posted:

If someone is called Aragorn that is at least spelled right, it's not Arargon now is it.

Well I'm not sure about lately but I bet in the early aughts when the lotr movies were coming out a portion of people literally named their child Aragorn. And typos aren't that uncommon so....

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
This crazy hippie lady came into my work and INSISTED that I was named after some religious catholic Italian saint, and despite me telling her that no, I was born in communist Russia and my parents weren't religious so there's no way I was named after that and anyways I asked them before and they said they just liked the name, she wouldn't take what I said as an answer. Then she was like, oh your name is very popular in Russia! (It isn't) and that "Eastern Orthodox" is the same as Catholicism and they pray to saints as well (or something, can't remember but afaik Russian orthodox doesn't do that stuff).
E: to clarify how stupid it was the conversation went as follows. I said my name was let's say "Kate" and she was like, "oh! You're named after saint Kate Caravaggio!" I told her I was born in communist Russia and therefore not named after some Italian saint, but she insisted that I was and I just had to ask my parents to confirm it. This back and forth went on for about 5 minutes.

Peeve being people who won't budge their opinions despite proof otherwise. And/or tout them as facts.

This lady also ranted to my coworkers for 2 hours about how drinking hot garlic water will cure you of all your ailments and you'll never have a cold or headache ever again! And unfortunately the coworkers seemed to be buying it. No the garlic won't help an obese old lady feel better, actual medicine will.

Peeve (or hatred) being people who spread this type of bullshit about "natural cures" because then people who don't know better or are looking for a cure will go to this poo poo instead of legitimate medicine, potentially hurting themselves in the process (see: that lady who tried to cure her cancer with black salve and rotted her nose off).

On the plus side this lady only ranted at me for 5 minutes until her ~healer intuition told her that I was probably going to murder her if she kept talking to me.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 07:16 on Jul 21, 2017

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

People in front of you in line, who allow other people to cut in front of them. I did not consent to this.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Stuff on the internet being given in American time. "This deal lasts until 1pm Pacific Time" - What the gently caress does that mean? I'm logged into my account, you know what loving time zone I'm in, stop giving me American time zones that I have to look up!

And while we're at it, all trailers that specify things are coming out in a particular season. Not only do I have to translate that to the opposite season but also factor in the dumb way other countries measure seasons. If you're releasing it in July, say July! Everyone knows when July is!

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Even as an American that poo poo is annoying as hell and I have to look up the offsets every time. The whole planet is connected on one giant Internet now, just use UTC!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Even as an American that poo poo is annoying as hell and I have to look up the offsets every time. The whole planet is connected on one giant Internet now, just use UTC!

Then people like me would have to look up what UTC is. No matter what you use a lot of people are going to have to look it up every time. It's not like there are an infinite number of time zones to remember, it's really not that hard to remember especially for the US time zones. And if you don't need to know regularly enough to memorize it, is it really that big a deal to take 2 seconds to google "time in california" or whatever once in a while?

Penumbra
Feb 7, 2009

Noctone posted:

smdh at these idiots wasting time and effort to concoct hard to pronounce names when they could just pick something Irish.

Or Welsh:

Annwyl
Arglwyddes
Begw
Blodeuwedd
Creirwy
Cynwrig
Ercwlff
Gwalchgwyn
Gwawr
Gwledig
Myfanwy

(all real names and definitely NOT produced by a random-consonant generator)

Agent355 posted:

Ayrygyryn

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm glad I have a "real" name even if it was picked to make sure it wasn't common.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm glad I have a "real" name even if it was picked to make sure it wasn't common.

Is it Hamburgler

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Mildred

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I have probably complained about this before, but mother of God my coworker won't stop talking to me about her family drama. It's a completely one-sided conversation that I have no idea how to respond to (apart from nodding with the occasional "Oh no" or "Yeah, totally").

But the worst part is that she'll trail off, go back to her work for about ten seconds-- just long enough for me to think that it's over-- and then lean back over with "So I have a sister that's about two years older than me, and her husband's never liked me all that much..." This happened about five times this morning.

And at the end of it I have barely any idea what she was saying, because I have ADD and it's hard enough keeping track of a conversation I actually DO give a poo poo about, let alone this. I feel like a bad coworker because I'm sure she just has no one else to talk to and wants to relate to someone, but dammit I just want to get these jobs done!

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Parasol Prophet posted:

I have probably complained about this before, but mother of God my coworker won't stop talking to me about her family drama. It's a completely one-sided conversation that I have no idea how to respond to (apart from nodding with the occasional "Oh no" or "Yeah, totally").

But the worst part is that she'll trail off, go back to her work for about ten seconds-- just long enough for me to think that it's over-- and then lean back over with "So I have a sister that's about two years older than me, and her husband's never liked me all that much..." This happened about five times this morning.

And at the end of it I have barely any idea what she was saying, because I have ADD and it's hard enough keeping track of a conversation I actually DO give a poo poo about, let alone this. I feel like a bad coworker because I'm sure she just has no one else to talk to and wants to relate to someone, but dammit I just want to get these jobs done!

"Yeah, sorry, I'm trying to focus on something else right now for work. I'll let you know when I'm at a point to pay better attention to you."

Repeated often enough, this actually works - from personal experience.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Parasol Prophet posted:

This. God is it annoying. During my phD we had a young teacher in our lab that used to tell everyone long stories about herself, her work, and how many students she had and how terrible they were at studying and how she had so many tests to grade and how many classes she had to teach and the students nowadays didn't do poo poo and so-and-so graded papers like this but she graded like that instead and how students wanted everything handed to them and they had no idea of how to work and look just look at the mistakes in here and did you know just how much work she still had to do? Right? In a lab where people were handling (sometimes dangerous) chemicals and preparing solutions and you were supposing to put all your attention into it, lest you caused an accident or had to start all over because you forgot to add something or other. She just didn't care if you told her "sorry I am working", just went on and on and on and on. It was distracting as hell.

Hell, I once was listening to music in my laptop while I organized some data, took my headphones off and she asked me "Right?. I have no idea how long she had been there rambling away while seeing me with a pair of big white headphones over my ears.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Saving game! Do not press [enter, escape, power button, your right ear] during this!

It's loving 2017. Even children know not to gently caress with poo poo while the game is saving (be it console or PC), and technology has progressed that the warning is generally gone before you could physically reach the button anyway.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
My brother and his wife wanted to name their kid Neveah but saw that it was common in the white trash online communities they belong to so they changed the spelling to Niveah. :suicide:

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Noctone posted:

Is it Hamburgler

Gaylord

MisterBibs posted:

Saving game! Do not press [enter, escape, power button, your right ear] during this!

It's loving 2017. Even children know not to gently caress with poo poo while the game is saving (be it console or PC), and technology has progressed that the warning is generally gone before you could physically reach the button anyway.

Eh, children aren't born with that knowledge, they have to learn it. If you took those messages out I think kids would start loving with it immediately.

Also it's a nice little nostalgia thing for me! :3:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
At least Niveah sounds like a biblical city. There's deniability there.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

BioEnchanted posted:

At least Niveah sounds like a biblical city. There's deniability there.

"My parents were big fans of the assyrians, but not quite big enough to double check their city's name"

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

One-size-fits-all disposable gloves.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

gently caress having webbed fingers when I've gotta work with gloves.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

This is a certification requirement. It also lasts like 10 seconds.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Being brutally honest means you are rude and heartless.

No, it's just that I don't think you should force your manchild husband to have a kid when he clearly doesn't want to have one.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Uh, Cowslips? You sound like a total rude and heartless jerk there. That's not your place to say, ever. Wow dude.

Edit: No I don't care how you worded it. What the gently caress?

fizzymercury has a new favorite as of 03:08 on Jul 25, 2017

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Catchy earworms. I can't sleep because my dumb brain wants to sing this song at me over and over.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WchseC9aKTU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

fizzymercy posted:

That's not your place to say, ever. Wow dude.

bullshit

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

fizzymercy posted:

Uh, Cowslips? You sound like a total rude and heartless jerk there. That's not your place to say, ever. Wow dude.

Edit: No I don't care how you worded it. What the gently caress?

You'd rather someone be forced into having a kid they don't want and wouldn't care for? That's kinda hosed up, my bud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
No, but being condescended to with brutal honesty hasn't stopped anyone from anything ever if I'm brutally honest.

Edit, I am out of order here, I don't know the details. I apologize.

fizzymercury has a new favorite as of 04:41 on Jul 25, 2017