Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

jivjov posted:

amiibo you say? I can think of only one person to star in that show! Me!

Yeah, I wasn't expecting the Doctor to suddenly be a vengeful god or anything...but the War Doctor just feels like any other Doctor, except grumpy about it.

Maybe he eats a baby or something to stop the daleks.

Just straight up chews right into one.

I dunno why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I feel like the weakness of Big Finish's War Doctor sets is more to do with how few stories actually play around with the temporal fuckery you'd expect from a Time War than anything to do with their characterisation of the Doctor.

When we first properly meet the War Doctor in Day of the Doctor it's at his lowest point when he's feed up with everything and ready to blow it all up and... he's just a cantankerous old grump, not any sort of vile monster. The whole point is that actually, yeah, he was still more or less just the Doctor, everything else is an image built up around self loathing and guilt from what the later Doctors think they did.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

jivjov posted:

amiibo you say? I can think of only one person to star in that show! Me!

Yeah, I wasn't expecting the Doctor to suddenly be a vengeful god or anything...but the War Doctor just feels like any other Doctor, except grumpy about it.

I always got the idea that leading up to that, he had done some pretty awful poo poo, so much so that wiping out the children of Gallifrey was a worthwhile price to pay to ensure "never again." I'm thinking like a multi-planetary civilization wiped out of time ab initio sort of thing.

People that can control time could get up to some pretty horrific poo poo, now that I think about it.
Brb, writing some really dark War Doctor fanfic

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Bringing up The War Doctor just makes me want to know more about what he did. Now we'll never know, because John Hurt is dead.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

jivjov posted:

Yeah that bundle is absolutely worth it for the Doctor sourcebooks alone.

Box of Bunnies posted:

Yeah, I went ahead and got it and skimmed through the First Doctor sourcebook on my phone while waiting for a doctor's appointment that was running behind. Exactly the kind of thing I like from these sorts of things.

What's in them, exactly? I'm not familiar with tabletop RPGs.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

toanoradian posted:

What's in them, exactly? I'm not familiar with tabletop RPGs.

They have descriptions of the Doctor, companions, TARDIS, general style/themes of an era and then episode synopsis, with ways those things can be used within the game throughout. A few pages from the First Doc one:

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Ah, I see they have previews. Sounds like interesting information for general fans that don't even roleplay. Thanks!

Also, they're gonna need to slightly modify this section.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

2house2fly posted:

I wish he'd remembered not to wear it ever

The holey shirt, much like the hoodie, ray-bans, and tees, is actually cool and good. The only bad outfit Capaldi had was his original, and that was merely boring.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Can't wait for a gender neutral doctor!

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The holey shirt, much like the hoodie, ray-bans, and tees, is actually cool and good. The only bad outfit Capaldi had was his original, and that was merely boring.

I loved his coat. I wish he had kept that at least and mixed in a hoodie etc.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

PriorMarcus posted:

I loved his coat. I wish he had kept that at least and mixed in a hoodie etc.

I like the crombie coat, but since you hardly ever saw the red accents that outfit looked really plain.

I hope they do something really different with 13, the long coat and slacks look has become the standard for three revival doctors now.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jul 20, 2017

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Long coat has been standard for 10/12 doctors though hasn't it? She got to have a really good coat.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

learnincurve posted:

Long coat has been standard for 10/12 doctors though hasn't it? She got to have a really good coat.

I'm of the opinion everyone needs a really good quality long coat. They're just great to have for appearance & weather.

Jodie Doctor needs to have one that says "classy as gently caress".

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

DancingShade posted:

As words, sewn into the lapels, yes.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Bring back the question marks IMO

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I've recently moved and found this in stored away and wondered if anyone wants it. Its a hall poster from a cinema so its reasonablly large. Free to a good home.

http://imgur.com/IHIvSVf

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

DancingShade posted:

I'm of the opinion everyone needs a really good quality long coat. They're just great to have for appearance & weather.

The_Doctor posted:

As words, sewn into the lapels, yes.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Bring back the question marks IMO
So a mixture of Seven and Six in terms of outfits then, but with a darker, cooler (blue, green, purple) color scheme

Something for the artists to consider, I suppose

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Perhaps they will go in a completely different direction and have her utilise the Tardis wardrobe so she's always wearing local clothing?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

learnincurve posted:

Perhaps they will go in a completely different direction and have her utilise the Tardis wardrobe so she's always wearing local clothing?

The BBC budget circuit is broken, so she's stuck wearing the same outfit

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Well, if they continue to have outfits that channel previous Doctors in order, we're up to Four.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
She should be wearing a scarf, yes.

Or, combining previous discussion and bad news together, she should dress up like Sherlock Holmes.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Lampsacus posted:

Can't wait for a gender neutral doctor!

Someone call Tilda Swinton

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

MrL_JaKiri posted:

She was my favourite in the role guessing game. Not because she'd do it - she wouldn't, she's a massive Hollywood success - but because she'd ramp the "alien" up to eleventy-stupid and it would be wonderful.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Doing her best Minister Mason I hope.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
One of the best pieces of acting I ever saw was Tilda Swinton in a movie called only lovers left alive, she plays a centuries old vampire who has aged beyond simple blood lust and is now this strange, ethereal creature living for emotions and the mind.
There is this one completely breathtaking moment where she simply stops and looks with wonder at a mushroom that is growing when it shouldn't be.

So yeh, watch that movie and imagine Swinton playing the doctor like that.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Plavski posted:

She was my favourite in the role guessing game. Not because she'd do it - she wouldn't, she's a massive Hollywood success - but because she'd ramp the "alien" up to eleventy-stupid and it would be wonderful.

I'd have loved a Swinton Doctor just because I've gotten compared to her, so I'd be able to cosplay that Doctor really well*. But now that I'm thinking about it and your observation there, I think she'd be really awesome as some sort of external take on the Doctor.

I'm picturing a movie from the perspective of just an average person during one of the more visible and daunting invasions; the Stolen Earth, Army of Ghosts, Dark Water, or even something a little smaller like The Power of Three or Pyramid at the End of the World. Their entire world gets turned inside-out one day they're struggling to just keep it together and survive, while on the sideline of the story is this inscrutible alien Swinton-Doctor that comes out of loving nowhere and is working entirely according to her own totally foreign problem-solving. I always got the feeling that while the Doctor's very inspiring to people they directly interact, with they've gotta be this terrifying, unknowable and suspicious figure to the people just outside of that, and Swinton would be an amazing Doctor for that.

*I should say I'm probably gonna be cosplaying the Whittaker Doctor if at all possible, because it just seems like an amazing opportunity of a character for a trans woman. I'm permitted the opportunity, I can't NOT try.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Cleretic posted:

I always got the feeling that while the Doctor's very inspiring to people they directly interact, with they've gotta be this terrifying, unknowable and suspicious figure to the people just outside of that, and Swinton would be an amazing Doctor for that.

Yeah, a lot of big popular heroes are like this, and I love it when they take the time to do a story that actually spells it out. My go-to is usually the Jedi. So much Star Wars media is focused on them or people working closely with them, that its sometimes a shock when you realize "Oh yeah, these people just roll up out of nowhere with their laser swords and mind powers and sometimes take babies away", and what that must look like to the layperson.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Cleretic posted:

I always got the feeling that while the Doctor's very inspiring to people they directly interact, with they've gotta be this terrifying, unknowable and suspicious figure to the people just outside of that, and Swinton would be an amazing Doctor for that.

They sort of tried this in the audio "The Sandman" - it didn't really work but I don't know that it was the fault of the concept. Early Big Finish had some huge swings in quality and this one was sadly one of the downswings.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

learnincurve posted:

One of the best pieces of acting I ever saw was Tilda Swinton in a movie called only lovers left alive, she plays a centuries old vampire who has aged beyond simple blood lust and is now this strange, ethereal creature living for emotions and the mind.
There is this one completely breathtaking moment where she simply stops and looks with wonder at a mushroom that is growing when it shouldn't be.

So yeh, watch that movie and imagine Swinton playing the doctor like that.

One of my favorite Tilda Swinton things is when I found out about her art project where she literally goes to a gallery, hops into a big glass case and goes to sleep. Then people come and watch her sleeping because why the gently caress wouldn't you go see Tilda Swinton sleeping in a glass case in an art gallery if given the opportunity?

11: I could be a performance artist, I'd be really good at it. Yes, maybe I should do that.
Tilda (yawning): You know I rather think you might.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Short Synopsis: The Doctor is late to a funeral, and the corpse is early.

Long Synopsis: The Doctor is summoned to the vigil for a recently deceased Draconian Emperor, where the political machinations of the widow and son are bad enough, but the dead also play games.

What I Liked/Disliked:
  • The setting. The Draconians only had one televised appearance but it was a good one - Frontier in Space - in which it was established that the Doctor had a warm relationship with the reptilian species and had even been granted noble rank among them. They've made numerous appearances in other spin-off media over the decades, though as far as I know this is their first appearance in a Big Finish audio. It does a rather good job of using Frontier as the foundation for the society it describes, while enjoying the freedom to go off on a wild tangent, particularly because almost none of the story takes place on Draconia or within the larger galactic empire that matched the power of the spacefaring human race. Instead, the Doctor is summoned as a noble to the funeral of the Emperor, who has joined the rank of the "Deathless". His tomb orbits the planet along with the tombs of all the prior Emperors, and the Doctor is expected to sit vigil along with the Emperor's son, his wife, a soldier and a peasant. Internal and external politics come into play within the confined quarters as the son clashes with his mother over his ascension to the throne. The past meets the present as the Doctor's part in "saving" Draconia from a deadly plague has left him less than popular, since it cost them their once vast galactic empire. A soldier has lost his name and a peasant has gotten a new and unwanted one. Charley is an unwelcome intruder in more ways than one, and a game of chess has deadly real life consequences. There's a lot to take in within a very short story, but it doesn't feel overcrowded and does a solid job of world-building.

• A wizardDoctor is never late, he arrives exactly when he intended. There is a fantastic short bit at the start of the story where Charley discovers that the Doctor has e-mail/voicemail that he never, ever checks. She chides him on missing some potentially very important messages and he calmly reminds her that he's a time traveler. He CAN'T be late, no matter how many centuries might pass before he gets to his mail.

• The horror of the "Deathless". I won't give it away, the reveal is very good and the concept is excellent.

• Charley is Charley. Normally I'd count that as a bonus, but not in this case. There is absolutely nothing to this story that in any way plays up on the events of Patient Zero, even when you have stuff like the walls that write your thoughts on them absolutely nothing comes up to suggest anything is even slightly off. There's an explanation of sorts given in the behind-the-scenes stuff, as India Fisher explains the reasoning for her performance, but while I'm all for subtlety this comes across more like they just decided to ignore that particular subplot, possibly because it would have just been too much on top of an already overcrowded story.

• Inconsistent characterization. It's present for most of the supporting characters, but especially the soldier. An honorable man who has been disgraced but still holds on to his virtues.... who then goes and does an incredibly shortsighted, stupid and self destructive thing for pure greed, then actively goes against his own self-interest in the name of that same virtue/honor.

• The voices. For an ancient spacefaring race of reptilians, the Draconians sure have voices that sound like the result of the English class system.

• Thomas Brewster. Ugh. gently caress. Uggh.

Final Thoughts:

Paper Cuts is a really interesting setting that plays well off the relatively scant information given us in Frontier in Space and crafts a pretty neat base under siege story out of it. The Sixth Doctor fits nicely as a contrast to the Third Doctor whom the Draconians were expecting, a far more bombastic and colorful character than their dignified, respectful memory. The supporting characters are mostly unpleasant or selfish people but that kinda works given the isolated setting and the stakes at play, and it helps to maintain the tension. The audio does suffer from the lack of visuals though, as I had to keep reminding myself these were reptilian spacemen I was listening to and not blokes from the local pub. India Fisher is largely wasted, not because Charley doesn't have stuff to do but because all she does is what Charley would normally do. There's only the barest hint of something else going on at the end when she carefully convinces another character not to spend any more time with her and the Doctor than is absolutely necessary, 99.9% of the time it's just Charley being Charley. Also there's another of the rather good Brigadier/Polly stories right at the end, which is once again hurt by the inclusion of... ughh... Thomas Brewster.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Paper Cuts

Yeah, I definitely really liked this story, if only for the weird little world-building, but as you say, the ongoing plot with Charlie and later, Mila getting ignored... it starts to grate. I always felt that way about Charlie and Six. They have so many interesting individual ideas, but you get more and more frustrated with them pushing off the inevitable confrontations. I get that they just have to tell good, individual stories, but don't introduce a huge Sword of Damocles cliffhanger and then ignore it forever.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Box of Bunnies posted:

They have descriptions of the Doctor, companions, TARDIS, general style/themes of an era and then episode synopsis, with ways those things can be used within the game throughout. A few pages from the First Doc one:

I always like how they justify the Doctor being OP as gently caress in-game by basically letting him (or her, now) take the Nemesis flaw like a billion times to let them purchase all the other poo poo.

Also, the RPG books ONLY have the TV licence, so the 8th Doctor book has a massive summary of the TV movie, and then the rest is what other tabletop RPGs would call a campaign module. Specifically, one that's meant to run for about 12 sessions, one for each Doctor's era up to the point of publication.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I wrote a short story about the 13th Doctor. I made no attempt to write her like I might imagine she'll really be; I just thought of who I'd like the Doctor to be and wrote her like that.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

learnincurve posted:

RTD said that when he told David Tennant that he wanted him to be the Doctor, Tennant's reaction was "He laughed, then swore, then said 'I want a long coat'."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Davros1 posted:

RTD said that when he told David Tennant that he wanted him to be the Doctor, Tennant's reaction was "He laughed, then swore, then said 'I want a long coat'."

I could never take him seriously in that, it looked like a kid wearing his dad's overcoat. The sleeves were too long and the hem should have been about 6 inches higher.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
An outfit you can't really take seriously is kind of a Doctor tradition as well

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I always saw Tennant as the spot-on embodiment of a slightly child-like, always fascinated by but never afraid of the vastness of space and its inhabitants Doctor, so that outfit worked well for me. In my opinion he was the least serious and most happy of the new Doctors, Smith kinda got that light-hearted adventure seeking across as well but he never sounded quite as enthusiastic as Tennant did, and Capaldi comes across as way more serious.

Yes, I am a huge Tennant fan, how did you know?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Well, Eleven and Twelve both have moments of world-weariness but without the maudlin tantrum-like effect that Ten had (cue gif of Tennant crying in the rain).

The deleted scene where Smith tells Amy that he brings young people with him because he can't see the wonder of the universe anymore, but THEY can, and he gets to see it vicariously through them, is great.

speakhard
Nov 30, 2003

from mars to uranus.

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

I've recently moved and found this in stored away and wondered if anyone wants it. Its a hall poster from a cinema so its reasonablly large. Free to a good home.

http://imgur.com/IHIvSVf

PM sent!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

The deleted scene where Smith tells Amy that he brings young people with him because he can't see the wonder of the universe anymore, but THEY can, and he gets to see it vicariously through them, is great.

I really love those scenes. My favourite is the explanation of the TARDIS chameleon circuit and how it functions because he absolutely sells it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAOne4Bxz1o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O3b5yRqZPg

• Locked thread