Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

DrSeRRoD posted:

:siren:This is now confirmed by testing in Asia: If you have not done your Challenge Rift, you can do it immediately after the season starts with your level 1 character and then claim the reward on it!:siren:

This is pretty huge to start a fresh season on a level 1 with 8 bounty mats, 200 crafting mats, 300 blood shards, and 4 million gold. Check out the best items for your class, and when you can roll them, so you can gamble at the minimum level to get them. Here's a good site for that if you want to see the minimum levels: http://www.d3planner.com/game/kadala

So what should I be rolling for first as a necromancer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
With the challenge rift rewards, couldn't you craft a hellfirre ring and amulet right away? That'd be one hell of a boost.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

Dameius posted:

With the challenge rift rewards, couldn't you craft a hellfirre ring and amulet right away? That'd be one hell of a boost.

You still need to buy the recipe correct? That would take a chunk off I would assume.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
You also need organs to craft hellfire stuff.

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
HELP WW bard, or LoN WD

first post decides

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
LoN sucks and Barb has 3 fun builds.

Plus we can barb together and loot share.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
How long do you plan to play? It will take you weeks to assemble your LoN gear.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Pastry Mistakes posted:

at lvl 1 you can roll for the Corpse Explosion gloves and the Skeleton Mage Ring

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Yep but helltooth should be a decent starter set while you acquire that stuff.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Pastry Mistakes posted:

There are two early items you can get which will help a lot. One is very rare, but has a huge impact, and the other is more common, and has a decent impact for a while. You can either gamble 6 rings and hope for the very rare Nailuj's Evol (2 mages per cast and 2-4 second longer duration) or 12 gloves and hope for not-too-rare Grasps of Essence (dealing Corpse Explosion damage increases Corpse Explosion damage by 100%, stacks 5 times to 500%). If you have a monk in your group going for Gungdo/EP stuff, ring would be more beneficial to pop the first one, but if you have more single target going on, going CE with the gloves will clear big packs real fast. You may not get the ring at all though, since it is pretty rare, so you decide if the gamble is worth it.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Suspicious posted:

You also need organs to craft hellfire stuff.

I knew I was forgetting something, that'd be it.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

This is like a who's who of most boringest sets in the game. Well at least Tal's is always good.

With the noted exception of Monk, those are all top tier farming sets, so they're pretty good. I don't know why they don't just let you choose, but I'd definitely pick all those sets except for Monk which would much rather start with Sunwuko or Uliana. I don't know if new Rolands is a good farming set since I haven't played Crusader since the Roland buff.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

MrSargent posted:

I haven't played D3 in quite some time and the wife and I want to put some hours into the Necromancer for the new season. What is the fastest way for us to level up together? I would like to hit 70 relatively quick this time since neither of us got to experience much after that since the season reset and we stopped playing.
Chain run rifts on Hard. If Hard is too boring, do Master or T1 (not Expert). I think Halls of Agony is slightly faster, but significantly more boring.

At 61, take your first Death's Breath and upgrade the blacksmith, then craft level 70 2H weapons until you get one with -level requirement.

Keep the biggest ruby you have in a socket in your helm. You can also pick up a free Leoric's Crown by running the campaign up to Leoric (after level 13 I think? for the socket), but I don't think it's actually worth it.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

DrSeRRoD posted:

:siren:This is now confirmed by testing in Asia: If you have not done your Challenge Rift, you can do it immediately after the season starts with your level 1 character and then claim the reward on it!:siren:

This is pretty huge to start a fresh season on a level 1 with 8 bounty mats, 200 crafting mats, 300 blood shards, and 4 million gold. Check out the best items for your class, and when you can roll them, so you can gamble at the minimum level to get them. Here's a good site for that if you want to see the minimum levels: http://www.d3planner.com/game/kadala

That's cool but does that mean people should not be grouping at season start? People should do solo challenge rifts first thing? What's the challenge in this week's rift?

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

Incoherence posted:

Chain run rifts on Hard. If Hard is too boring, do Master or T1 (not Expert). I think Halls of Agony is slightly faster, but significantly more boring.

I would like to argue doing bounties on the difficulty so you can have enough act materials to put into the cube. You will need those act bounties.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

pmchem posted:

That's cool but does that mean people should not be grouping at season start? People should do solo challenge rifts first thing? What's the challenge in this week's rift?

You CAN do it in a group, but it's probably faster to do 4 at the same time with the lower hp/damage and no group scaling. The challenge is very easy, people have finished it in under 2 minutes. It's a Manald Heal lightning wizard. No teleport or archon, but you have an ancient weapon and it's GR25 I think, so everything just melts instantly.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Kassar's Warhelm and the Mortal Drama have finally been cubed. Time to murder everything with thorns, a horse, meteors, and my bodyguards

oh yeah, the first legendary ring i get is one that increases my gold/health pickup rate by a few yards for every gold i get..except i found a pet off of a goblin. booooooooooo!

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Katamari Democracy posted:

I would like to argue doing bounties on the difficulty so you can have enough act materials to put into the cube. You will need those act bounties.

It's this. Not having to do bounties after getting 70 is a huge loving boon, its just a tremendously inefficient waste of time before you can crush them on T10, and the bonus exp and whatnot you get from doing them is fine for leveling and way better than the paltry rift rewards pre70. I'd rather get as many out of the way as possible early. I never run out anyway but grift keys don't drop until you are 70 so you aren't missing much but a slightly higher chance at legendaries and possibly better density

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Katamari Democracy posted:

I feel like, especially if you do the challenge rift once you have a seasonal character, you won't need bounty mats during the initial gearing process (because you'll be able to cube a few important items based just on those rewards). By the time you need more bounty mats for rerolls and such, you'll be able to stomp them on T10 and get a lot more per unit time.

The only exception might be if you're playing something like WD which can sustain long massacre chains.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Thread posted:

zdps

Thanks for defining this a few pages back -I thought this was an inside joke making fun of a German streamer or something.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Incoherence posted:

I feel like, especially if you do the challenge rift once you have a seasonal character, you won't need bounty mats during the initial gearing process (because you'll be able to cube a few important items based just on those rewards). By the time you need more bounty mats for rerolls and such, you'll be able to stomp them on T10 and get a lot more per unit time.

The only exception might be if you're playing something like WD which can sustain long massacre chains.

Yeah, isn't it only one of each bounty mat per cubed item? If you get eight from the challenge rift, that'll cover a ton of your early cubing.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Incoherence posted:

Its more that there's a tangible benefit to completing bounties, and almost no benefit to doing rifts sub 70 other than the increased level chance. So why not take the extra bounties, massacre bonuses and that nonsense don't matter much.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Im already level 70. Heh

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

euphronius posted:

Im already level 70. Heh

How did you do it?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Whoever said gambling doesn't pay off? :v:

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Counter point: do a poo poo ton of bounties at 70 when you can do them fast and open all cache at once and get Avarice season challenge for nothing.

If he really is 70 he probably did T6 environmental kills.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
drat, haven't played this game in a long while but I just entered the bone zone for a good 3 hours and now I'm level 50. Good stuff.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

MMAgCh posted:

Whoever said gambling doesn't pay off? :v:

Been reading this forum last few days, and hadn't done any challenge rift, so thought I'd give a go with a necro

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I've rolled an Ancient Hellfire amulet for my Barbarian with 943 Str / 5% IAS / 711 Armor / Rampage. Not great, but the passive is nice. What should I re-roll? I feel like the IAS should go as I'm rolling an Earthquake / Avalanche build and only Seismic Slam could conceivably benefit, but the armor I could easily get back by swapping Rampage for Tough As Nails.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
5 hours on the nose to level to 70 with a friend. Grinding seasons journey tommorrow.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I'm levelling way slower than you guys but still fast for us. We just hit 31 after a couple hours which feels good! Our necromancers are killing it and we definitely have a severe case of bone-itis.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Shumagorath posted:

I've rolled an Ancient Hellfire amulet for my Barbarian with 943 Str / 5% IAS / 711 Armor / Rampage. Not great, but the passive is nice. What should I re-roll? I feel like the IAS should go as I'm rolling an Earthquake / Avalanche build and only Seismic Slam could conceivably benefit, but the armor I could easily get back by swapping Rampage for Tough As Nails.

Roll away the armor, Barb's have too much of it as it is. The game has some funny mechanics when it calculates your ehp, something along the lines of resistance and armor being multiplicative, and there being a golden ratio to maximize ehp.

Basically you want to maintain a 10 (armor) to 1 (resistance) ratio. The further you deviate from this ratio, the lower your ehp is. A barb with 20k armor and 1k resistance is less tanky than one with 10k armor and 1k resistance (probably not precisely true, but true enough)

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Level 40 after 2 hours with some nice LLJK folks. I got a goblin ring so I ran us through the vault instead of saving it til 70. I know it's far from ideal but it seemed like the fun thing to do.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Guilty posted:

Basically you want to maintain a 10 (armor) to 1 (resistance) ratio. The further you deviate from this ratio, the lower your ehp is. A barb with 20k armor and 1k resistance is less tanky than one with 10k armor and 1k resistance (probably not precisely true, but true enough)
That's fairly misleading. Each point of armor is a constant percentage gain in EHP, as is each point in resistance, and they multiply together. If you have the choice between N resistance and 10*N armor, which is actually fairly rare, you do want to try to keep a 10:1 ratio, but that rarely actually happens. The barb with 20k armor and 1k resistance is definitely more tanky than the barb with 10k armor and 1k resistance, but less tanky than a barb with 15k armor and 1.5k resistance.

Armor affixes come with relatively lower values (ancient amulets go up to 125 all res, I think?), so even on an int class, which will have a bunch of all res from primary stats instead of armor, it's generally not worthwhile to choose an armor affix over an all res affix, regardless of ratio.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Incoherence posted:

That's fairly misleading. Each point of armor is a constant percentage gain in EHP, as is each point in resistance, and they multiply together. If you have the choice between N resistance and 10*N armor, which is actually fairly rare, you do want to try to keep a 10:1 ratio, but that rarely actually happens. The barb with 20k armor and 1k resistance is definitely more tanky than the barb with 10k armor and 1k resistance, but less tanky than a barb with 15k armor and 1.5k resistance.

Armor affixes come with relatively lower values (ancient amulets go up to 125 all res, I think?), so even on an int class, which will have a bunch of all res from primary stats instead of armor, it's generally not worthwhile to choose an armor affix over an all res affix, regardless of ratio.

It is a bit more complicated than that, especially with how Paragon interact. You get 250 All Res, a fixed number, which can be played with a bit more with socketing diamonds, particularly if you have a high amount of extra Paragon points to dump into main stat if you aren't an INT class. You get a 25 percent bonus to armor, and so it is quite common for Int classes to want armor over AR, especially since they can still roll secondary resists, which can offset some of the lost AR.

At the end of the day though you can just plug it into a spreadsheet and find out what gives the highest EHP.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

After seeing this season's free Necro set is Rathma's, I ended up rolling a Wizard because I've never played one before and saw that apparently this season's free set is a pretty good one. Holy poo poo this class feels overpowered. It's insane how fast you can chew through mobs, and i'm only level 32 with some random rares. I think I get why people play Wizards now, this is pretty great :v:

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Yeah, I just decided to go for Monk. Rainment is a nice starter set, and I figure everybody likes having a monk in their party. Figure I can group poo poo up for all the necros.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Still new to the game, I'm just P48. I was wondering if somebody could suggest a better build for my Crusader? With this I can complete a GR in about 8-10 minutes on Master but I'd like to be able to do the same on Torment. For now most of my set items are from crafting. I really really dig that shield because it just snipes anybody that hits me so I'd like to be able to keep using it.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
There's a 1H Flail Legendary that has a trait that increases the attack speed and damage of your Blessed Hammer skill by 100%. Once I got that I switched to Blessed Hammer and just started making GBS threads out hammers, with the rune that creates another hammer when it hits someone. Shot me right to about T2-T3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Finished my Rathma's set, got the ring that doubles my mages, and got the scythe and shield combo.

I am a monster.

If only I could get that stupid loving belt though!