Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Ehud posted:

But Edward Snowden owns ?

Yeah, and South Carolina does not.

Same logic applies to Utah, Nevada and California.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Kalli posted:

From some app that links people up based on what they hate, the most matched thing from each state:

Don't know what's going on in New Hampshire, but I get it.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Nov 6, 2002

Now more than ever, Casey Affleck has never been so relevant.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
who the gently caress let anakin into arizona

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Kalli posted:

From some app that links people up based on what they hate, the most matched thing from each state:

Am I the only one shocked not to see an ethnic group anywhere on here?

Nov 6, 2002

Eli Wiggum posted:

The people using a social media app to connect based on what they hate are probably a bit of a self selecting group.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Kalli posted:

Mississippi must have a lot of prudes and closet gay dudes.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Who the hell hates tapas?

Also you tell 'em New Hampshire.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Thaddius the Large posted:

Don't know what's going on in New Hampshire, but I get it.

We're responsible for Ronnie James Dio. I believe the bullshit map on this one.

Nov 6, 2002

Why is boys night in quotations?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
https://twitter.com/natashabertrand/status/887992350307483649

drat

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Grittybeard posted:

Who the hell hates tapas?

Also you tell 'em New Hampshire.

I went out to tapas once and it was super annoying because the food was so good but it was in like Ethiopian sized portions. I had to stop on the way home to fill my belly.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Eli Wiggum posted:

some state in the NE hated "middle america"...*insert thinking emoji here*

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You're supposed to order like 30 tapas for a table of 4, guys. The whole point is that it's just little tastes so you can try everything instead of just having three or four things on a dinner plate.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

It is so hot that I want to die but I am going to the gym which has no AC #thegrind

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

JPrime posted:

bless u rhode island

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Leperflesh posted:

You're supposed to order like 30 tapas for a table of 4, guys. The whole point is that it's just little tastes so you can try everything instead of just having three or four things on a dinner plate.

gently caress little tastes, I want to eat til I can't breathe!

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

JPrime posted:

how that wasn't the entry for every state is a little suspicious

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

CNN wants to be NYTimes or Wash Post so bad though

"WE'RE OWNING THE PRESIDENT TOO RIGHT GUYS???!?!?"

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
As a Washingtonian who drinks from a Keurig everyday, gently caress those couples' happiness.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

eco terrorist

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The Japanese First Lady lied to Donald Trump about not speaking English when she sat next to him at the G20.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Skwirl posted:

The Japanese First Lady lied to Donald Trump about not speaking English when she sat next to him at the G20.

I will never get tired of foreign leaders dunking on Trump stories

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

In the NY Times interview he says she couldn't speak English at all, not even hello, and then the internet found a bunch of videos of her giving speeches at international events in English

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It really is pretty funny, especially considering the history...

quote:

Akie Abe, first lady of Japan and wife of Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, has spoken English many times in public, fluently, with only the slightest accent.

She chatted, for example, about a shared admiration for star baseball pitcher Daisuke Matsuzaka (then of the Boston Red Sox), at the White House with President George W. Bush and his wife Laura in 2007. She has chatted with Laureen Harper, had cocktails with Sophie Grégoire Trudeau, spoken to business leaders in New York, and to a Virginia elementary school audience with Michelle Obama

She has even met Donald and Melania Trump a couple of times, earlier this year at Andrews Air Force Base, followed by a weekend at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida, where the two men played golf.

Akie Abe, right, wife of Prime Minister Shinzo Abe of Japan, sits next to Donald Trump for dinner at the Mar-a-Lago resort in Palm Beach, Fla., in February. Al Drago/The New York Times
And yet, last week at the G20 summit in Germany, when the opera performance ended, Trump says she was seated next to him for dinner and simply sat in silence, rather than endure the presidential chit chat.

She appears to have pretended not to speak English, pulling off one of the greatest tricks in the history of dinner diplomacy.

If so, Abe had a plausible reason, as Trump has a long record of disrespectful behaviour toward women, most recently an aggressive handshake and lewd comment about the body of Brigitte Macron, the first lady of France,

Evidence for this shockingly bold but simple gambit comes from the president himself, in an interview with The New York Times.

“So, I was seated next to the wife of Prime Minister Abe, who I think is a terrific guy, and she’s a terrific woman, but doesn’t speak English,” Trump told reporter Maggie Haberman.

“Like, nothing, right? Like zero?” Haberman asked.

“Like, not ‘hello,’” said Trump.

Haberman said that must have been awkward, and Trump agreed, noting the dinner went well over an hour and a half.

He did have a Japanese interpreter, but indicated he did not make much use of the service, eating an entire banquet without saying a word to the woman seated beside him.

“But I enjoyed the evening with her, and she’s really a lovely woman, and I enjoyed — the whole thing was good,” he said.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

quote:

She has even met Donald and Melania Trump a couple of times, earlier this year at Andrews Air Force Base, followed by a weekend at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida, where the two men played golf.
I imagine that means she was playing dumb then also, but it wouldn't surprise me that Trump forgot that he'd spoken with her in the past.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

weird Asian candy posted:

gently caress little tastes, I want to eat til I can't breathe!

America.txt

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

a neat cape posted:

America.txt

Amen!

Maybe our group did it wrong, I don't know since I haven't been back, but we had 6 people and most plates had 4 tiny pieces of food so we had to decide each time who had to sit this one out. When I am going out to eat, I just want to eat and not have to ration my drat food :colbert:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Amen!

Maybe our group did it wrong, I don't know since I haven't been back, but we had 6 people and most plates had 4 tiny pieces of food so we had to decide each time who had to sit this one out. When I am going out to eat, I just want to eat and not have to ration my drat food :colbert:

This is just like Dim Sum. You get two of each plate if you have more then 3 people, and a minimum of 3-4 plates per person in total.

Then you gorge.

Also like dim sum, you leave, go to the bakery next door, and order an extra dozen pork buns and sesame bean paste rolls to take home

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Kalli posted:

This is just like Dim Sum. You get two of each plate if you have more then 3 people, and a minimum of 3-4 plates per person in total.

Then you gorge.

Also like dim sum, you leave, go to the bakery next door, and order an extra dozen pork buns and sesame bean paste rolls to take home

I've never had Dim Sum, but that seems like sound advise. Maybe I'll give it another chance.

Speaking of things in abundance (or not), my wife just got a Costco membership and I am pretty excited to crack open my 20 lb bag of almonds! I think we are really going to like Costco...

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Costco has really good socks.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
I had an onsite interview at Amazon today. Definitely the longest day and some of the trickiest/funnest whiteboard questions I've dealt with. Think it went well, but won't know until next week. Will be in SF on Monday for a day of interviews, where's a good place to get some seafood?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Yes costco dress socks are really soft and come in cool patterns that skirt the line between hipster and conservative

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Kalli posted:

Note to self. Never date a girl from Mississippi

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
I guess I've found my new spot for dress socks!

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

pubic works project posted:

I guess I've found my new spot for dress socks!

They will go well with a barrel of cheese balls

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

They will go well with a barrel of cheese balls

Now you're speaking my language!!!!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I've never had Dim Sum, but that seems like sound advise. Maybe I'll give it another chance.

Speaking of things in abundance (or not), my wife just got a Costco membership and I am pretty excited to crack open my 20 lb bag of almonds! I think we are really going to like Costco...

Proper dim sum is incredible.

You walk into a banquet hall sized room with incredibly gaudy fake chinese stylings everywhere. It's just a cacophony of people scream fighting with each other in cantonese, and are sat down, given not terribly clean utensils, and two pots of tea.

You then just starts pouring tea all over the utensils and table cloth and cleaning everything by hand, while a waiter throws a sheet of paper with a bunch of grids written on it at you, then never interacts with you again. But that doesn't matter because all the other employees are just pushing carts with dozens of plates of food on it around, you look at them confused, and they just scream what protein or vegetable the dish is at you, you point and maybe flash them a 2 if you need multiple plates. They stamp the grid paper and move on.

Then the second any dish gets finished some 13 year old zooms over, grabs the plate and runs away, never interacting with anybody.

The one dish you actually want to eat again will never come by so you just follow the old chinese women who will just rush up on whatever cart they want and start yelling at the servers until they get what they want and just follow their lead.

Then you flag down the guy dressed like a parking valet at an upscale mall, and he tallies it up, then you elbow your way to a register, pay and leave a $2 tip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Welp, I know what I'm doing this weekend!

• Locked thread