Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Here's another datapoint: every single time the minimum wage has been raised, nationwide, in the history of ever, has not increased unemployment

As an employer wage labor in Seattle, I vowed to never pay anyone who works for me under 20$/hr. Doing just fine.

No cafe or bar that I have connection to has gone under had any issue due to 15$/hr min wage.

It's a bollocks argument and any who makes an argument against 15$/hr min wage a.) doesnt know how labor actually work b.) is a piece of poo poo.

BlueBlazer fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

twice burned ice posted:

This is great. I hope to one day I piss enough people off that someone will make passive aggressive glitter text about me.

It's in the OP man.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
niiiiice

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/888164672083558400

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Rigel posted:

My crazyass MAGA brother lives in Kentucky, maybe I can weaponize him into supporting a primary challenge. I'd probably do it by expressing relief at how ineffective he is, and if he actually goes through with working with Dems to fix Obamacare like he threatened earlier, I'll be all over that, praising his reasonable bipartisanship.

Do it. Let the hate flow through him. Make him strike him down with his hatred . I'm afraid that the base opposition will be quite operational when he arrives.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

skylined! posted:

'reduced sentence offered if willing to donate young strong heart to old white man; plastic replacement only 60% mortality rate'

I'm sure there would be a few goons to defend the person who took that deal

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

particle9 posted:

people who probably shouldn't be having families

What people are these? Who decides?

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002

particle9 posted:

I'm not sure calling birth control eugenics is accurate. It isn't a terrible idea to entice people who probably shouldn't be having families to not start families. Eugenics as I understand it is more about selective breeding to create some ultimate ideal. This is more about trying to get people who might have poor decision making abilities not to create life they can't take care of and don't want. If it was forced sterilization you might have more of an argument but even then I don't know that is technically eugenics.
These jailhouse sterilizations are obviously 100% smack you in the face eugenics.

Your rationalization is a less obvious form of eugenics.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

skylined! posted:

lol that's actually within range of vulnerability in a presidential election year like 2020 will be holy lol

I think it's too early to take this a fact instead of a possibility.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

twice burned ice posted:

This is great. I hope to one day I piss enough people off that someone will make passive aggressive glitter text about me.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

theflyingorc posted:

don't remember, because it as some dumb news app thing on my phone, no way to get back to it

It was probably this stupid study: http://www.nber.org/papers/w23532

That got picked up by a WaPo *blog* entry as "Credible": https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/06/26/new-study-casts-doubt-on-whether-a-15-minimum-wage-really-helps-workers/?utm_t

Then got torn apart: http://fortune.com/2017/06/27/seattle-minimum-wage-study-results-impact-15-dollar-uw/

The study itself basically admitted it removed too much data to be considered credible BUT WELP.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Trump has decided to give Zuckerberg some free publicity.

quote:

Interior Dept. ordered Glacier park chief, other climate expert pulled from Zuckerberg tour

Facebook chief executive Mark Zuckerberg flew to Glacier National Park on Saturday to tour the melting ice fields that have become the poster child for climate change’s effects on Montana’s northern Rockies.

But days before the tech tycoon’s visit, the Trump administration abruptly removed two of the park’s top climate experts from a delegation scheduled to show him around, telling a research ecologist and the park superintendent that they were no longer going to participate in the tour.

The decision to micromanage Zuckerberg’s stop in Montana from 2,232 miles east in Washington, made by top officials at the Interior Department, the National Park Service’s parent agency, was highly unusual — even for a celebrity visit.

It capped days of internal discussions — including conference calls and multiple emails — among top Interior Department and Park Service officials about how much the park should roll out the welcome mat for Zuckerberg, who with the broader tech community in Silicon Valley has positioned himself as a vocal critic of President Trump, particularly of his withdrawal from the Paris climate accord.

[...]

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

BlueBlazer posted:

As an employer wage labor in Seattle, I vowed to never pay anyone who works for me under 20$/hr. Doing just fine.

No cafe or bar that I have connection to has gone under had any issue due to 15$/hr min wage.

It's a bollocks argument and any who makes an argument against 15$/hr min wage a.) doesnt know how labor actually work b.) is a piece of poo poo.

Do you find that you have highly motivated employees as a consequence of that?

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

particle9 posted:

I'm not sure calling birth control eugenics is accurate. It isn't a terrible idea to entice people who probably shouldn't be having families to not start families. Eugenics as I understand it is more about selective breeding to create some ultimate ideal. This is more about trying to get people who might have poor decision making abilities not to create life they can't take care of and don't want. If it was forced sterilization you might have more of an argument but even then I don't know that is technically eugenics.

If you aren't even sure that forced sterilization is eugenics then I'm dying to know what you do consider to be eugenics.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
As long as biases exist in prison system demographic representation, then any sterilization offer is transparently a form of eugenics. There are all kind of factors that affect arrest, conviction rate, and severity of sentences that have ultimately nothing to do with 'did the person commit a crime'. Consider arrest and conviction rates for petty non-violent drug offences.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

enraged_camel posted:

The decision to micromanage Zuckerberg’s stop in Montana from 2,232 miles east in Washington, made by top officials at the Interior Department, the National Park Service’s parent agency, was highly unusual — even for a celebrity visit.

drat did glowing-fish write this copy

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

BonoMan posted:

It was probably this stupid study: http://www.nber.org/papers/w23532

That got picked up by a WaPo *blog* entry as "Credible": https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/06/26/new-study-casts-doubt-on-whether-a-15-minimum-wage-really-helps-workers/?utm_t

Then got torn apart: http://fortune.com/2017/06/27/seattle-minimum-wage-study-results-impact-15-dollar-uw/

The study itself basically admitted it removed too much data to be considered credible BUT WELP.

The study counted the employees of small single location businesses, which at the time had a minimum wage of 13.50

If an employee left there for a chain company (minimum wage $15), that counted as job loss.

If the company opened a second location, that counted as a job loss.

Seattle has 2% unemployment. They have a $15 minimum wage and what is effectively a labor shortage.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

FourLeaf posted:

If you aren't even sure that forced sterilization is eugenics then I'm dying to know what you do consider to be eugenics.

but these inmates are choosing to be sterilised of their own free will, why do you want to take away their freedoms ? :smugdog: :smugdog:

much like how they can choose to not have healthcare and die in the street

boner confessor posted:

drat did glowing-fish write this copy

lmao

WeAreTheRomans fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 20, 2017

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.

skylined! posted:

is it being offered to all for a tax cut or the imprisoned poor for a reduced sentence

it's eugenics cleverly disguised as not eugenics

I get that there is a targeted aspect and that the people offering this probably aren't Planned Parenthood fans but I disagree that it is a covert eugenics program. You can disagree with the idea and I'm not saying it is in anyway ideal but I also don't see the harm. Whatever they can do to help people not have kids is a net win I think. I think there is an argument to be made for sure that there are better ways to offer that help and an argument that down the road you could offer massive jail time grants that essentially force people into this but I don't think that's what this is *yet*. Either way, I wouldn't call it eugenics. I can see the argument against it and for universal contraceptives though.

FourLeaf posted:

I would consider forced sterilization eugenics. This isn't forced sterilization was my point originally. They probably see the 30 days as a reward they can give to entice people. I think there are ways they could potentially make it a huge reward that is almost like forcing people though, but that hasn't happened *yet*.

particle9 fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 20, 2017

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Family Research Council's daily prayer for Trump today is creepy

It is about letting trans people join the army

quote:

Heavenly Father, it is time for you to act, for your law is being broken! This policy must be rejected: it brazenly defies You, God our Creator, and Your fixed, eternal moral laws. We defied your definition of marriage, now we defy the very apex of your created order, mankind created in your own image, male and female. Please forgive us, extend Your mercy to us, and grant us repentance.

You who bless nations that obey You, and curse nations that disobey you; You who promise battleground victory to those who obey you, but defeat to all who disobey, have mercy! Grant repentance to President Trump and Secretary Mattis for even considering to keep this wicked policy in place. Grant them understanding, courage, and willpower to stand up to the forces of darkness that gave birth to it and wholly to repeal it.

Save our young men and women who are already living under this tyranny. Save our children from the predictable impact of this policy. May Your people not only pray, but rise and use every tool they possess as American citizens to preempt this policy. Please correct the members of Congress who used their votes to enable and fund it. We appeal to You! In Jesus’ name, Amen. (Gen 1:27; Dt 28: all; Neh 4:14; Ps 119:126; Eze 24:14; Mt 1:6; 19:4-6; 1 Tim 2:1-2; Eph 6:10-20)

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

particle9 posted:

I get that there is a targeted aspect and that the people offering this probably aren't Planned Parenthood fans but I disagree that it is a covert eugenics program.

Have you considered the fact that it is?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

particle9 posted:

I get that there is a targeted aspect and that the people offering this probably aren't Planned Parenthood fans but I disagree that it is a covert eugenics program. You can disagree with the idea and I'm not saying it is in anyway ideal but I also don't see the harm. Whatever they can do to help people not have kids is a net win I think. I think there is an argument to be made for sure that there are better ways to offer that help and an argument that down the road you could offer massive jail time grants that essentially force people into this but I don't think that's what this is *yet*. Either way, I wouldn't call it eugenics. I can see the argument against it and for universal contraceptives though.

they're not getting people's consent appropriately. that's a harm

they always do this poo poo with eugenics programs. and then guys like you show up to defend them

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

particle9 posted:

They're not helping people do anything. They're being forced to trade their freedom in exchange for their capacity to bear children.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Someone start a change.org petition to have McCain's brain tumor implanted into McConnel.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

particle9 posted:

I would consider forced sterilization eugenics. This isn't forced sterilization was my point originally. They probably see the 30 days as a reward they can give to entice people. I think there are ways they could potentially make it a huge reward that is almost like forcing people though, but that hasn't happened *yet*.

Rephrase it a bit: If you don't get sterilized you will spend 30 days in jail.

While it is not "forced" it is coercive as gently caress to the point where it might as well be.

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
Weeding out the "morally inept" and "mentally defective" through sterilization was eugenics in the 20th century and it still is eugenics today, especially when consent forms are forged and when you're performing it on people who may be too mentally ill to properly consent anyway. Framing it as just birth control is missing a crucial part of the story in California and quite possibly in Tennessee too.

And even when it isn't forced, I'd argue that offering sterilization to inmates to commute their sentences is implicitly motivated by eugenicist thinking even if the intention is not explicitly to "improve the race".

E: Not to mention the above points being made that inmates are captives and the choice between sterilization and shortened sentencing is inherently coercive.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

particle9 posted:

you are needlessly tangling yourself in bad logic to support an abhorrent practice

it's eugenics

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Dietrich posted:

The study counted the employees of small single location businesses, which at the time had a minimum wage of 13.50

If an employee left there for a chain company (minimum wage $15), that counted as job loss.

If the company opened a second location, that counted as a job loss.

Seattle has 2% unemployment. They have a $15 minimum wage and what is effectively a labor shortage.

Yep. I actually lost a decent amount of respect for Vox's The Weeds podcast after listening to their episode on this, because they barely addressed the incredibly serious flaws in this study while more or less devoting an entire episode to it. To their credit they did conclude that Seattle's economy is clearly not imploding, but it's frustrating that a pretty bad piece of research is tainting the discussion like this.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

particle9 posted:

Well, the harm is coercing people into sterilization just because they committed a crime, which has been a key component of eugenics since it first became popular here in the early 1900s.

Reminder: the reproductive rights movement wasn't just about birth control and the right to an abortion, it was also about the right to have children because the government (particularly prisons) was sterilizing women (most of whom were black, Latina, or native).

edit: vvvv you right, you right

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

i am the bird posted:

Well, the harm is coercing people into sterilization just because they may or may not have committed a crime, which has been a key component of eugenics since it first became popular here in the early 1900s.

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.

Nevvy Z posted:

What people are these? Who decides?

It's a good question. I don't think there is an answer. I think most people would agree that drug addicts in prison shouldn't have kids until they can get their lives together. It's a tough question for sure.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

particle9 posted:

It's a good question. I don't think there is an answer. I think most people would agree that drug addicts in prison shouldn't have kids until they can get their lives together. It's a tough question for sure.

Maybe the answer starts with not putting drug addicts in prison in the first place.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

particle9 posted:

well gee whizz, sure are some head-scratching questions here. better support a shameful eugenics program just to be safe

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

particle9 posted:

No it's really not. There's an easy answer. Your opinion on this is bad and you should feel bad.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

So Trump's threatened by a person smarter than him, richer than him and half his age. Sounds about right.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Petr posted:

What was that Jessica Roy tweet people were laughing about earlier in the thread? Whatever it was, she deleted it and apologized.

Check my post history for the story she misremembered.

(Phoneposting, but she said that McCain told a friend's husband with brain cancer that if he wants health care he should move to another state

Which was... true ish but not perfectly true)

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jul 20, 2017

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

particle9 posted:

"These people are unfit to have children; therefore, they should be sterilized" is loving eugenics.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

TARDISman posted:

So Trump's threatened by a person who exists. Sounds about right.

FTFY

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
It is pretty cool that trump had John McCain assassinated.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Sure, California was illegally sterilizing women without their knowledge or consent as recently as 2010, but I'm sure this other program will steer clear of all those pitfalls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

particle9
Nov 14, 2004

i am the bird posted:

"These people are unfit to have children; therefore, they should be sterilized" is loving eugenics.

So I did some reading on compulsory sterilization and found this:

"148 female prisoners in two California institutions were sterilized between 2006 and 2010 in a supposedly voluntary program, but it was determined that the prisoners did not give consent to the procedures.[71] In September 2014, California enacted Bill SB 1135 that bans sterilization in correctional facilities, unless the procedure shall be required in a medical emergency to preserve inmate's life"

Yeah... I see how this is bad. I guess I just saw it more as a birth control thing.

• Locked thread